Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Koramei posted:

I think the system was really clever for sims 1, but I think it does explain some of the weirdness, especially as it looks like they've kind of stretched the needs-based system to cover things it perhaps shouldn't as in Sims 3.

A big flaw in the video is definitely making out how Sims 3 handles world-level simulation as being clever when it's literally anything but. It's a brute force solution that makes no sense if you think about it. Sims 3 actively ignores the actual sims and their personalities and preferences in favor of some vague town-level needs and will actively break realism just to fulfill meaningless roles. There's a reason story progression mods are incredibly popular, since the default way Sims 3 handles that is simply plain stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
That's so in line with all of my experiences trying to write a program to do a thing. "Hmm, I've tried doing this in the human brain logic way repeatedly with no success, what if I just do something insane that looks very similar to what I'm trying to accomplish"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Guildenstern Mother posted:

That's so in line with all of my experiences trying to write a program to do a thing. "Hmm, I've tried doing this in the human brain logic way repeatedly with no success, what if I just do something insane that looks very similar to what I'm trying to accomplish"
Sitting in a design session debating if I want 16 interfaces that need mapped from the conceptual design brain to every type of object, or I can let the gaming computer grab entities with its big fun grabber. I need to finish the game some day so I know which I'll choose!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

On that note I'm excited about how much clutter was in the screenshots of sims5 because it wouldn't be in there if they hadn't figured out a backend way to make both making and placing it stupidly easy.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

I randomly came back to this with it being on steam and the summer sale but had a question after my googling didn't turn up anything.

Are there any good mods that change the active careers (detective/doctor) to just going to a rabbit hole instead? It's way too much time wasting for me with just a two sim household.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Canopus250 posted:

I randomly came back to this with it being on steam and the summer sale but had a question after my googling didn't turn up anything.

Are there any good mods that change the active careers (detective/doctor) to just going to a rabbit hole instead? It's way too much time wasting for me with just a two sim household.

A mod? I don't know. I do know you can just 'send them alone' which does the same thing and it's baked into the game.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

A mod? I don't know. I do know you can just 'send them alone' which does the same thing and it's baked into the game.

If you do that you can't complete the promotion tasks, though.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Yeah, that's exactly what I ran into

Edit V: I totally forgot about doing that, thanks

Canopus250 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 13, 2023

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

eating only apples posted:

If you do that you can't complete the promotion tasks, though.

Ah! yeah usually I go in just enough to do the task then just send them alone. I also have used MC Command Center to just...give myself promotions if enough time has elapsed.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

If you use UI Cheats Extension you can also simply right-click on stuff like promotion tasks to mark them complete and directly cheat work performance to ensure promotions, or directly promote the sim from the jobs panel. I find it much more convenient than having to open MCCC's menu every time, same with skills and really all sorts of little things where you just don't feel like tediously micromanaging your sim so they grind a skill or goal for the umpteenth time. Or vampire leveling, it's fun once, it's not very fun for the next eleventeen vampires you play as.

Plus it also allows for needs cheats which were a thing in 2 and 3 but actually useful in 4 since 4 likes to randomly decide the household you loaded into has sims with like, full energy in the middle of the night or completely miserable after you spend the day off lot with another sim in the household. And sometimes things break and aspirations or work/social event goals refuse to complete and right-click saves the day. UI Cheats is great.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Ruflux posted:

4 likes to randomly decide the household you loaded into has sims with like, full energy in the middle of the night or completely miserable after you spend the day off lot with another sim in the household. And sometimes things break and aspirations or work/social event goals refuse to complete and right-click saves the day.

This sounds like a well-made game worth hundreds of dollars in DLC

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ruflux posted:

Plus it also allows for needs cheats which were a thing in 2 and 3 but actually useful in 4 since 4 likes to randomly decide the household you loaded into has sims with like, full energy in the middle of the night or completely miserable after you spend the day off lot with another sim in the household. And sometimes things break and aspirations or work/social event goals refuse to complete and right-click saves the day. UI Cheats is great.

I have lost count of how many times I've gone back to my main house and it is not unlike that bit from Community where Troy is coming back with pizza and people are screaming and everything's on fire.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm pleased to see that my decision to never leave the house is justified. And in game, too.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Bought the horse girl pack just opened it up and they named the town Chest Nut Ridge. Pretty perverted for a game kids play.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

mutantIke posted:

This sounds like a well-made game worth hundreds of dollars in DLC

I think I stopped paying for it back in 2018 since the slate for 2019 was nothing but disappointment after disappointment followed by missed opportunities followed by lame versions of packs that were done better in previous Sims games, like the magic game pack or the laughable joke that is Island Living.

e: And then 2020 came and they made Eco Lifestyle. A pack with features that were solely and blatantly ripped out of Island Living and that obviously was intended to at least have Tiny Living's content included in it because the pack makes no sense without it. And also a laundry list of new bugs and issues, some which are still unresolved today like living in the pack world breaking all world lighting because reasons, lol!

Ruflux fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 22, 2023

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Ruflux posted:

living in the pack world breaking all world lighting because reasons, lol!

I agree with your grumbles but not sure what this means, I've been playing with Eco Lifestyle since it came out and have most packs since, I don't have any lighting bug.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

eating only apples posted:

I agree with your grumbles but not sure what this means, I've been playing with Eco Lifestyle since it came out and have most packs since, I don't have any lighting bug.

It’s something that’s pretty subtle but IIRC it screws up lighting that interacts with the lot and vice versa so you get an ugly seam in the lighting on the border of the lot where light doesn’t get correctly and evenly applied.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

So has Horse Girl xpac been out long enough for the horses to move out of households and turn up in random neighborhoods? or maybe catch on fire?

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I heard some reports of skinwalker horses trying to have conversations with sims using the sim skeleton which you can probably imagine looks very nice and cool, but that's to be expected and I don't think it's a widespread thing or else everyone would've heard about it by now. Even cats and dogs still occasionally do that. The pack is either solid enough code wise (not content wise that's for sure) that it's not a major cause of new issues or then the buggy parts are obscure enough that somehow not many people have run into them. But there's so little there outside of horses that I don't really see where the weird buggy poo poo would be hiding.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ruflux posted:

A big flaw in the video is definitely making out how Sims 3 handles world-level simulation as being clever when it's literally anything but. It's a brute force solution that makes no sense if you think about it. Sims 3 actively ignores the actual sims and their personalities and preferences in favor of some vague town-level needs and will actively break realism just to fulfill meaningless roles. There's a reason story progression mods are incredibly popular, since the default way Sims 3 handles that is simply plain stupid.

One of my favorite bugs of all time is that cars are objects and are stored in inventories and NPCs will just spawn cars and then hoard them in their inventory forever, and the game does no garbage collection on that and just lets them pile up until the game is unplayable. :v:

A mod came along and fixed that, Maxis never did it. lol not even Bethesda makes its users code garbage collection and basic memory optimization for them.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
My horse died and I put the gravestone on my ranch and them my sim spent every spare minute mourning the horse for two days and then the ghost of the horse came back and I added it to my household and my sim was so happy for about 30 minutes before running back to the gravestone to continue mourning the horse whose ghost is standing behind them wanting to talk.

I'm the saddest and stupidest cowpoke in town

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
For anybody not keeping up with it, the Life By You dev-logs are fascinating. They just uploaded a video where Rod Humble talks about dishwashers for almost 10 minutes straight. The graphics are improving as well

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
RPS did an article on Life By You today. It's also releasing in March 2024 now.

Life By You's humans are always watching you, and some of them can be real creepy about it

e: here's the link to the Youtube dev logs that mutantIke was talking about : https://www.youtube.com/@lifebyyou/videos

buglord fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 30, 2023

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

And Paralives is basically another Star Citizen at this point, right?

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Did not hear about that delay. This bodes well for my grades this semester

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

paradox must be annoyed that ‘paralives’ was taken

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
drat I'm actually kinda hyped for Life By You

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Even if it isn’t any good, some competition in the Sims space will hopefully drive EA to make Sims 5 better. I’d love to see the technical improvements of 4 combined with the open neighborhood of 3.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Cantorsdust posted:

Even if it isn’t any good, some competition in the Sims space will hopefully drive EA to make Sims 5 better. I’d love to see the technical improvements of 4 combined with the open neighborhood of 3.

Yeah I’m hoping at minimum it’s a good enough alternative to drive EA to do more. Even if it doesn’t catch the Pinterest demographic, just getting enough of that playerbase pie would be great. And if the game is legitimately good, I could give two figs what EA does and play this instead.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i dont think ea really makes games anymore

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
One thing that's bugged me for quite some time is that there's a huge gulf between what clothes female sims get, and what males get. Of course women always have better and more varied clothes, because that's just the game imitating life. But while the female clothing is pretty hit-and-miss, there are usually at least some good pieces of clothing in each new pack.

Male clothing on the other hand has left me underwhelmed for a long time now. Mods help, but it's pretty sad that this is another thing that Sims 4 players need to depend on mods for.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I feel like the older games had more options for mundane clothing, which really affects how many options you get for men. Not everything has to be a statement piece.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Torrannor posted:

One thing that's bugged me for quite some time is that there's a huge gulf between what clothes female sims get, and what males get. Of course women always have better and more varied clothes, because that's just the game imitating life. But while the female clothing is pretty hit-and-miss, there are usually at least some good pieces of clothing in each new pack.

Male clothing on the other hand has left me underwhelmed for a long time now. Mods help, but it's pretty sad that this is another thing that Sims 4 players need to depend on mods for.

You'll wear the figure skating outfit at all times and you'll like it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
wow, a landlord simulator pack......

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Tired Moritz posted:

wow, a landlord simulator pack......

"We know apartments and multi-residential rentals have been highly requested by players, and we wanted to ensure that this feature offered enriched and immersive gameplay that expands on the multitude of storytelling opportunities. The Sims 4 For Rent Expansion Pack introduces a new dimension to housing options, enhancing the overall depth and complexity of Sims’ relationships, personalities and experiences.

For the first time ever in The Sims 4, Simmers can build a fully customizable multi-unit dwelling where multiple Sim families can live on the same lot. This is possible in ANY liveable The Sims 4 world!"

While that sounds great (other than the default SA 'gently caress landlords' thing) how are they going to manage the 8 sims per lot thing?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

While that sounds great (other than the default SA 'gently caress landlords' thing) how are they going to manage the 8 sims per lot thing?

Very poorly

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

It's 8 sims per family. I'm guessing it'll be like the roommates system where they live on the same lot but aren't controllable.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Two options: the lmao option where it's still restricted to 8 total which I don't think is very likely, they'd probably patch that limit higher if it actually works like households, or the more realistic option which is that the sims count against the zone limit of 20 sims and thus you're restricted to like maybe 12 tenants since your landlord sim also needs to be able to exist in the zone and also random walkbys, mailmen, etc. Maybe they'll bump up that limit since even MCCC can do it (up to 104!) and typically it doesn't cause the game to collapse on decent hardware even at 30 or 40 sims.

Well, no, actually it does, but the game collapses on busy lots with the standard 20-sim limit anyway so :shrug:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Actually, looking at the image:

it looks like you section off each apartment, so they'll end up like the ones in San Myshuno, that's fun I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Sad times. Mentally Im already groaning about performance issues. If Maxis announced SimLandlord for December 7th, 1993, Id be begging to spend the day at the mall... 😢