Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Hi I've been trying to remember the name of an artist/comic but am struggling to track it down. It was this lovely oneshot about a woman with radiant hair who keeps getting tricked into giving locks away to this old witch until she runs out and then it gets heartwarming. Can anyone offer any assistance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

Looper posted:

Hi I've been trying to remember the name of an artist/comic but am struggling to track it down. It was this lovely oneshot about a woman with radiant hair who keeps getting tricked into giving locks away to this old witch until she runs out and then it gets heartwarming. Can anyone offer any assistance?

Is this it?

http://emcarroll.com/comics/anu/page01.html

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

yesss omg thank you

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

PMush Perfect posted:

Please don't slice Boris. :ohdear:

Mmmm sliced ham

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Bobulus posted:

Yeah, that's why Lily's teacher is so excited in that panel.

Considering the nature of his power I'm sure he's real thankful he has a fan there while he helps Poppy train.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Haha, I think I've identified Mary Cagle's cleverly hidden self-insert character in Sleepless Domain.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Apraxin posted:

Haha, I think I've identified Mary Cagle's cleverly hidden self-insert character in Sleepless Domain.

Eh. Tezuka's done worse.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Apraxin posted:

:aaa: I never knew she did stuff other than the teaching comic.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nuebot posted:

:aaa: I never knew she did stuff other than the teaching comic.

She's got three comics on the go, actually. Sleepless Domain, Let's Speak English, and my favorite of the three: Kiwi Blitz which is actually heading into its final story arc, or has been for a while now anyway because she keeps putting it on the backburner to focus on LSE and Sleepless Domain.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It's pretty cute how she's basically merging her comics, like the Kiwi Blitz kids also showing up in SD.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Fans always like noticing cameos (the whole 'where's waldo" empire is built on this) and it avoids having to come up with new character designs just for an extra.

Kinda weird that Ben would be part of a magical girl team, though.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 18, 2017

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

She's got three comics on the go, actually. Sleepless Domain, Let's Speak English, and my favorite of the three: Kiwi Blitz which is actually heading into its final story arc, or has been for a while now anyway because she keeps putting it on the backburner to focus on LSE and Sleepless Domain.

I thought LSE was totally done except for finishing up the kickstarter?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

fritz posted:

I thought LSE was totally done except for finishing up the kickstarter?
It is. :smith:

Think she said it'll occasionally get updates when either she remembers something or has an LSE-suitable experience? Might just be wishful thinking, though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Oh. I wasn't aware LSE was finished. The only one of hers I really follow is Kiwi Blitz.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

nine-gear crow posted:

I didn't realize this was meant to be building to a finale already in Kiwi Blitz. On the one hand I'll be sad to see it go but I have every confidence that Cagle will resolve things in a way that feels right.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I'm happy to call LSE a finished book at this point. There are worse webcomic endgames than leaving 'em wanting more. :3:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
LSE was great, but presumably Cagle only has so many amusing stories about Japan. Hopefully she'll have a long career full of similarly amazing comics for us to enjoy.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Today in Poppy, an old joke comic fragment Morbi drew like two years ago during the Gang War arc finally becomes canon.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Can't say I remember, but I like the cameo by the sexiest dog in the world by artist KC Shortpacked.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Can't say I remember, but I like the cameo by the sexiest dog in the world by artist KC Shortpacked.

People thought David "Ding Dong Bandit" Willis came up with something Eisner-worthy like this?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Typical Pubbie posted:

People thought David "Ding Dong Bandit" Willis came up with something Eisner-worthy like this?

Willis has done some pretty good parodies along similar lines.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Willis is at his best when his head briefly rises above the water and he remembers that he's a joke

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rand Brittain posted:

Willis has done some pretty good parodies along similar lines.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

He's had his head stuck down his own personal drama hole for a while now. He's got not time to be self-aware.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

I didn't realize this was meant to be building to a finale already in Kiwi Blitz. On the one hand I'll be sad to see it go but I have every confidence that Cagle will resolve things in a way that feels right.

Blitz has been running for quite a while now (8 years).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ConanThe3rd posted:

Blitz has been running for quite a while now (8 years).

Oh I know. I just came to it late so it still doesn't ~feel~ like the plot has gone super far. And now this junk with Steffis mom coming to light.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, Mary is not one for getting down to brass-tacts in that regard (Not a judgement call). If we learn what Goops McGee's deal is before endgame in SD I'll be very (pleasantly, mind) surprised.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 4, 2017

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah. It's a combination of Cagle's tendency to linger on slower, character focused moments (I swear Ben and Steffi have been sitting on her garage floor for like 5 months now) combined with a once a week update schedule and frequent hiatuses that have protracted relatively compact story, all told. I binged through Kiwi Blitz myself one day after having it stored in my bookmarks for like three years prior to that and I was kind of astounded when I was done with how "short" it felt, all things considered.

It's still a fantastic comic though.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I'm gonna level with you. That elicited a chuckle from me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

It helps that it's making a joke of much weirder comics. Comedy should never punch downward, but it can punch weirdward.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah. It's a combination of Cagle's tendency to linger on slower, character focused moments (I swear Ben and Steffi have been sitting on her garage floor for like 5 months now) combined with a once a week update schedule and frequent hiatuses that have protracted relatively compact story, all told. I binged through Kiwi Blitz myself one day after having it stored in my bookmarks for like three years prior to that and I was kind of astounded when I was done with how "short" it felt, all things considered.

It's still a fantastic comic though.

The fact that KB is weekly and hence we are getting chapters at about one every six months (if that) doesn't help.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Wonderella's annual St. Patrick's Day comic was posted yesterday:

http://nonadventures.com/2017/03/18/sequential-thwart/

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

If you swap out the art and replace every instance of cancer with "suicide" you get a solid DoA parody.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Nah, suicide stuff has only happened twice.

Abuse or evil church people on the other hand...

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

nerdman42 posted:

Nah, suicide stuff has only happened twice.

Abuse or evil church people on the other hand...

Honestly the religion stuff was the only interesting part of the comic. But I just can't wade through the rest to keep up on it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dammit, Jack, you had one job!

Well, technically two.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jeez, Poppy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Boulet has the best advice for dealing with writer's block.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Deprived side story, with a time skip to Ashemma's first invasion as a Watchdog of Faron.

Chapter 4, which is the first boss fight, should hopefully be coming sooner rather than later I'm guessing from what the author says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Jeez, Poppy.
"Oh, there's a new Poppy upda-"

:stare:

• Locked thread