Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I hope Bac does the briefing soon.

Also to whoever does the youtubedoubler, I think the most fitting Ace Combat briefing song for this op is the second AC4 briefing.

EDIT: Yooper post last page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yooper posted:

Aiming to run the mission in a few hours. It's not going to be as intense as the last one, but should still be entertaining.

Aww yeah. :f5:

Have some non-ace combat preflight music, contains topgun vibes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULCUgIfSCk4

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah I'm a big fan of consolidating our forces into a few reliable airframes. So far that seems to be Gripens and Saudi Tornados.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

power crystals posted:

For radar, the Raptor is the hardest to spot, regardless of band or aspect (direction), followed by in order F-35A/C/B (the B is slightly easier to find than the A or C)

It's the other way around:

some general posted:

The F-35 doesn’t have the altitude, doesn’t have the speed [of the F-22], but it can beat the F-22 in stealth.

This too

article posted:

Gen. Gilmary Michael Hostage III, then head of Air Combat Command, said at AFA's September conference that the F-35 "has drawn a lot of criticism" for some of the sacrifices USAF has had to make to pay for it. However, "it is my professional judgment that recapitalizing our aging legacy fleet with a fifth generation capability is a national imperative," he declared.

Hostage caused a stir in late spring when, in press interviews, he said the F-35 would be stealthier than the F-22, its larger USAF stablemate. Conventional wisdom had pegged the F-22, with its angled, vectored-thrust engines, as a stealthier machine than the F-35. Hostage also said the F-35 would be unbeatable when employed in numbers, which is why the full buy of aircraft is "so critical."

"I would say that General Hostage … is accurate in his statement about the simple stealthiness of the F-35 [with regard] to other airplanes," Bogdan said in the interview. The statement was accurate for radar cross section, as measured in decibels, and range of detectability, he said, and he scoffed at the notion that anyone can tell how stealthy an aircraft is just by looking at it.

Quinntan posted:

Why are you even mentioning the Alamo? A beam rider against an F-22 isn't going to do anything.

Yeah, the R-27R/ER is pretty bad at shooting down fighters, and it's worth even less if they have ARH missiles.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Can't believe everyone was talking about combat aircraft AI before and nobody mentioned Yukikaze.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Please buy a bunch of F-14s and kit them out with unreliable Phoenix missiles. It would give everything a Battlestar Gallactica reboot feel.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

That may very well be the case in reality (I doubt anyone who actually knows can say because that stuff is super ultra classified), but CMANO does not agree, and the question was specifically asked with regards to the game's stats.

e: cmano-db.com displays this, so compare F-22 to F-35A (it's a little non-obvious because the scale changes).

power crystals fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 14, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Having a bunch of Gripens so we can use the SDB on every mission is a boring and uninteresting vision that we shouldn't go with even if it's the most practical and effective.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

glynnenstein posted:

Having a bunch of Gripens so we can use the SDB on every mission is a boring and uninteresting vision that we shouldn't go with even if it's the most practical and effective.

Oh yeah and also absolutely agreeing with this. This is part of why I keep looking up various weird older planes/weapons - a hangar full of Gripens and Growlers would be incredibly effective but also have zero personality. Having some older but cheaper stuff makes mission planning interesting and gives us some actual character aside from being a living advertisement for Saab.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

glynnenstein posted:

This is a good point and one I'm struggling to find a good way to deal with.

The SDB's and Gorgon Stare have really moved our aircraft into two select groups. The A-Team, that can hit and kill with little risk to anything that might kill the B-Team. The B-team is susceptible to all sorts of things that can never touch the Gripens and Tornado's. That's cool and all, but it makes it hard to make a mission that's challenging for the Gripens and still has a place for our lesser poo poo. The SA-11's are a good example. Our SDB's can kill it with relative impunity while drat near everything else is hosed.

Otherwise we end up in the S-300 problem again where one asset is so deadly that the only thing that can kill it is our Gripens and everything else has to find a lesser role.Hopefully this'll balance itself out in the next procurement round. The next theater is going to be taken to 11. We've got new tech, new missions, and damage modelling. Ideally we'll have the A-Team doing high-tech poo poo while the B-Team kills things the old fashioned way.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Obviously its not a real solution, but if only we could rewind everything to the late 70s to mid 80s to avoid all these killer modern muntions. Plus the joys of surplus Vietnam era Sidewinders. :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Obviously its not a real solution, but if only we could rewind everything to the late 70s to mid 80s to avoid all these killer modern muntions. Plus the joys of surplus Vietnam era Sidewinders. :v:

And actual dogfighting!

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The comedy of the Vietnam-era Sparrows, or Walleyes. Early Paveways. Gotta use iron bombs because the CEP of the PGMs of the day is about the same. 70s/80s would rule. Plus, more Phantoms.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Dreamsicle posted:

I hope Bac does the briefing soon.

Also to whoever does the youtubedoubler, I think the most fitting Ace Combat briefing song for this op is the second AC4 briefing.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Have some non-ace combat preflight music, contains topgun vibes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULCUgIfSCk4

We did Second Strike on the last mission. Depending on your desired level of anime, you could go with this, this, or the classic Razgriz.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 14, 2017

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Yooper posted:

This is a good point and one I'm struggling to find a good way to deal with.

The SDB's and Gorgon Stare have really moved our aircraft into two select groups. The A-Team, that can hit and kill with little risk to anything that might kill the B-Team. The B-team is susceptible to all sorts of things that can never touch the Gripens and Tornado's. That's cool and all, but it makes it hard to make a mission that's challenging for the Gripens and still has a place for our lesser poo poo. The SA-11's are a good example. Our SDB's can kill it with relative impunity while drat near everything else is hosed.

Otherwise we end up in the S-300 problem again where one asset is so deadly that the only thing that can kill it is our Gripens and everything else has to find a lesser role.Hopefully this'll balance itself out in the next procurement round. The next theater is going to be taken to 11. We've got new tech, new missions, and damage modelling. Ideally we'll have the A-Team doing high-tech poo poo while the B-Team kills things the old fashioned way.

If only some person could devise an in-game reason for why SDBs would suddenly become unavailable or cost 20x as much as they currently do.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Was there a particular song associated with that one mission in Armored Core 4 (or was it 4a?) where you shoot down a bunch of cities? (yes, shoot down cities)

Maybe we need that on tap given all this talk of blowing up bridges, causing international incidents, and iMercenaries.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Davin Valkri posted:

We did Second Strike on the last mission. Depending on your desired level of anime, you could go with this, this, or the [url=https://youtu.be/cUNq3Fju5YA[classic Razgriz[/url].

I was thinking this actually for an alternate Ace Combat briefing track.

Wish I could find an extended version though.

EDIT: I'm fine with the current timeline although yeah I want more varied targets. Maybe have more enemy merc groups to fight for our A-team to fight while the states (barring great powers and above) will be dealt with by the B-team.

I would not complain if we went to the 80s though, it would give me an excuse to post Area 88 music.

Dreamsicle fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 14, 2017

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
SDBs are more a symptom of the problem than the problem themselves. Modern airframes with standoff stuff are just better.

If you want to reboot to an earlier era that might fix the issue

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

SDBs are more a symptom of the problem than the problem themselves. Modern airframes with standoff stuff are just better.

If you want to reboot to an earlier era that might fix the issue

just limit the supply and make so we have like 5 per theater. Make them reserved for things absolutely need to go down.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

The question should really be what task can we come up with that'll be harder to do with SDBs than some other options. There really isn't much, except for maybe bunker-busting, which would feel pretty gimmicky the third mission in a row, or things like napalm that aren't really an objective so much as a method. GM fiat saying SDBs aren't for sale/restrictions on quantity used might actually be the best option, sadly.

That, or we assume that next theater we're going up against a peer adversary and all the Gripens are permanently assigned to CAP and we start planning to lose some occasionally (with payout increases to match) so we buy every Phantom, Aardvark, and Fencer left operational and bring the 70s' greatest hits when we do ground strike after the Gripens clear out anything in the air. Given Yooper's statements above this doesn't seem terribly unlikely...

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Hypothetically speaking if we did get a carrier whats to stop someone like the Chinese from just tac nuking it? We are not a nation-state and its not like we are signed on to any treaties.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Setting off nukes is not exactly the most stabilizing thing you can do for the international situation and reputation no matter how small they are or who you're shooting them at.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Crazycryodude posted:

Setting off nukes is not exactly the most stabilizing thing you can do for the international situation and reputation no matter how small they are or who you're shooting them at.

We seem to be well on are way to pissing off a lot of big nations so it is becoming more of a viable option for them. I would argue its way less destabilizing then you think it would be, given that the target is not aligned to any nation and also would be over water.

The entire stigma against nukes is reliant on both the landscape damage they can do and the fact it could trigger retaliation among other nuclear armed states. Neither of those are an issue here.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 14, 2017

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
There could be some sort of "time storm" like in Final Countdown.

Or we could stop this bloodshed and just invest our money in high grade US Treasury notes.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
We (Hired Goons) have only really pissed off the People's Republic of China. India told us to scoot because we were a little too good at our jobs and could bring them into a real shooting war with the Chinese, and possibly Myanmar or whoever. Corporations aren't countries, so gently caress them.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Could we make money on the side as gun runners?

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

RE: SDBs being OP

I don't think we need to do a time warp to rectify that. This should be enough especially since it was in the OP

Yooper posted:

After that we'll have to source and procure all the weaponry ourselves. Make each shot count! Maybe instead of Mavericks we think about GBU's instead?

As long as we enforce/track this then we will be forced to pick and choose when to use our SDBs. I know Carriers by default have limited munitions.

Dreamsicle fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 14, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Dreamsicle posted:

RE: SDBs being OP

I don't think we need to do a time warp to rectify that. This should be enough especially since it was in the OP

As long as we enforce/track this then we will be forced to pick and choose when to use our SDBs. I know Carriers by default have limited munitions.

He also said that after testing, that sort of bookkeeping was boring/tedious/unfun.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Loel posted:

He also said that after testing, that sort of bookkeeping was boring/tedious/unfun.

Hmm, yeah that makes sense. Would it make sense only to do it for overpowered weapons such as SDBs and maybe cruise missiles? That still might be too tedious.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Dreamsicle posted:

Hmm, yeah that makes sense. Would it make sense only to do it for overpowered weapons such as SDBs and maybe cruise missiles? That still might be too tedious.

Honestly, having more tasks than birds seems to work well in the current mission.

Sure, our A team can kick rear end in its one area ... but we have 5 areas operating, and planes enough for three.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Dreamsicle posted:

That leaves you with "define overpowered" because there's not a hard line between "requires us to place aircraft in grave danger" (SK60 rocket runs) and "can mostly ignore everything the enemy has" (Gripens with SDBs). Cruise missiles we only get two per aircraft and they often get shot down, so, is that a problem? I'd say no, but it kind of depends on the scenario. If SDBs are out, what about those SPICE bombs the Kfirs carry?

Agreeing with just having more stuff to do means that the A team can't do everything, though.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

:catdrugs: :catdrugs:

Going live in a bit. Stream is up and in chill mode until I'm running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1soX5YK9Zqs

https://www.twitch.tv/hiredgoons_pmc

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Yessss .... :getin:

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
time for us to get our poo poo kicked in

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I finally get to show up to one of these at the start, I hope we don't get hosed up too hard.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Stream is live and active now. :getin:

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
I don't think SDBs are overpowered in the context we use them. We only have eight gripens, and every mission we have to choose what their role is. They can either be our best air to mud attacker or our only modern air defense fighter. They can't be both. Plus is mimics what happens in real life. Expensive, hypercapable aircraft take our key targets and sanitize the airspace so more numerous but less capable aircraft clean up.

sparkmaster fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 14, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

time for a death blossom :getin:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
SDBs are effective and nasty. Guess who would want such a thing? Everyone.

Oh hey guess what a megacorporate war is starting I wonder if this might impact the availability certain weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I feel like Rohan is trying to get herself killed this mission. Just flying at every SAM site she can find