Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Smashing Link posted:

Prediction: Will be an "Expedition" equivalent in Return to Alara.

That one would be an easy Masterpiece set- just do all gold cards.

Plus Wizards has taken cards (even mythics) from the first time they went to a plane and reprinted them in the return set. Though granted, I don't know if they've done that with anything as valuable as Hierarch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

C-Euro posted:

That one would be an easy Masterpiece set- just do all gold cards.

Plus Wizards has taken cards (even mythics) from the first time they went to a plane and reprinted them in the return set. Though granted, I don't know if they've done that with anything as valuable as Hierarch.

Shocklands used to be in the 20-30 range before they printed them again. Pretty sure reprinting Noble Hierarch would bring it down (because like gently caress they'd ever reprint a mana dork at mythic).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I like the changes to Masterpieces cause, aside from how bad they look, the Invocations don't have any real strong thematic link and that just bothers me. Bring them back when it makes sense and they can be linked to each other easily

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

mandatory lesbian posted:

i have never actually seen this thread have a consensus opinion but it's actually nice to see we're all on the same page about the change

well, until a post comes along shattering this illusion

Most everyone, myself included, thought getting rid of core sets and moving to the two block model was good.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I like how Maro gave the real reason for axing the 18 month rotation, that people didn't like how short-lived their standard cards were, and not what Forsythe said at the time. Some bullshit about the meta moving too quickly my rear end.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Pontius Pilate posted:

Most everyone, myself included, thought getting rid of core sets and moving to the two block model was good.

Turns out a concept can be good but still flawed, and some of those flaws may only be evident in hindsight, wow.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I like how Maro gave the real reason for axing the 18 month rotation, that people didn't like how short-lived their standard cards were, and not what Forsythe said at the time. Some bullshit about the meta moving too quickly my rear end.

I seem to remember that when the rotation is pushed back to 24 months they actually made that same statement

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Switching to a 2 set block structure was a fine idea but when actually implemented we learned that we actually kind of need the core set for printing important cards without worrying about flavor. Also they turned too many other knobs at the same time all of which turned out to be bad.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I kind of expected them to go to a Big set-small set-Big return set-Big core set rotation, but this seems fine. Bringing back the core set was important. I'm not sure it was necessary to axe the small sets entirely, but in the end I doubt I'll care either way.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

Them bringing back core sets is a good thing, now we can have reprints of cards that we really want.

Like Crucible of Worlds.

yesssssss :getin:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
This seemed like one of the most in-touch corporate statements I've ever read. Perhaps there really is hope going forward.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

ShadeofBlue posted:

I kind of expected them to go to a Big set-small set-Big return set-Big core set rotation, but this seems fine. Bringing back the core set was important. I'm not sure it was necessary to axe the small sets entirely, but in the end I doubt I'll care either way.

I like the idea because small sets always felt more like killing time until the next actual new thing came out.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I'll actually be a contrarian here for the sake of discussion.

Core Sets, in my eyes, had a few issues.

1. There wasn't a lot of time to 'absorb' the set. There was maybe like 2 months between Core Sets and the next Big Sets. It felt like it was just jammed into the summer space for the sake of printing a product there.
2. Related to the first point, the set wasn't opened. I suspect this was partially because there were a large number of reprints and bland cards, since few new mechanics were used. Who wants to open Llanowar Elves for the 20th time? We want to play with them in Standard, but do we actually want to pay for them again?
3. Because the set wasn't opened a lot, the new, powerful cards that were printed were much higher than they should have been. I wasn't playing at the time, but I remember hearing rumblings of Stoke the Flames, which was a $5 uncommon. Jace VP was $70-$80. Goblin Rabblemaster was $15-$20. I'm not saying that these cards shouldn't cost more if they are played a lot, but if the 3 were printed in say RTR (size/popularity wise not the actual environment), I doubt we would see those prices.

I think that you can get away without Core Sets if you commit to printing functional reprints of cheap answers that aren't tied to story or mechanics, but you lose the ability to 'forecast' decks a la Maro's Goblin Lord example. With the Modern/Eternal Masters sets, we likely won't see the reprints we want such as Noble Hierarch. This is going to be a place where you dump your Shocks, Elvish Visionaries, Disenchants, Murders, and idk Unsummons. In a few years, Wizards will realize that the Core Sets aren't selling again, and we will have an interesting situation since we know the consequences of not having answers.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
A core set sounds fine when it's not breaking up the Big/Small structure. I wonder if the Eldrazi's return in Eldritch Moon would have been better received if it was one big set of Battle for Zendikar (with no Oath) and then one big set of Shadows over Innistrad without the predictable tease. I also wonder how creative is going to change. For a long time it felt like they were the ones with the most power over Magic sets ("no baby dragons, sorry your set is going to suck, but Creative Has Spoken"), but their entire method of storytelling has to change when it's a one-set block. They'll occasionally get to continue a story in two sets, but that doesn't sound like it can happen that often.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The big set solution also will play well with moden and older formats I think, as you won't get weird situations like Voice of Resurgence where it was awkwardly high priced because it was the only good card in a small set that that wasn't opened much due to the draft format of the block.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Star Man posted:

Bring back exalted for a set so we can have cheap Noble Hierarchs again.

Considering that Elvish Mystic is apparently too good for Standard now, I wouldn't hold your breath.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I like the changes to Masterpieces cause, aside from how bad they look, the Invocations don't have any real strong thematic link and that just bothers me. Bring them back when it makes sense and they can be linked to each other easily

I'd be cool with them showing up only in the fall set, once a year.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Entropic posted:

Considering that Elvish Mystic is apparently too good for Standard now, I wouldn't hold your breath.

How is it too good or is that like another Maro-ism?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
What's funny to me is that they used to reprint a handful of staples all the time as far back as Ice Age. They did it for the sake of letting the new block sets be played without cards that were long out of print, but cards like Counterspell, Dark Ritual, and Disenchant were frequently reprinted in the first set of every new block. That same reprinting structure lived on for a while with Cancel and Naturalize. The spells were so generic that they could fit into any set.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Shadow225 posted:

I'll actually be a contrarian here for the sake of discussion.

Core Sets, in my eyes, had a few issues.

1. There wasn't a lot of time to 'absorb' the set. There was maybe like 2 months between Core Sets and the next Big Sets. It felt like it was just jammed into the summer space for the sake of printing a product there.
2. Related to the first point, the set wasn't opened. I suspect this was partially because there were a large number of reprints and bland cards, since few new mechanics were used. Who wants to open Llanowar Elves for the 20th time? We want to play with them in Standard, but do we actually want to pay for them again?
3. Because the set wasn't opened a lot, the new, powerful cards that were printed were much higher than they should have been. I wasn't playing at the time, but I remember hearing rumblings of Stoke the Flames, which was a $5 uncommon. Jace VP was $70-$80. Goblin Rabblemaster was $15-$20. I'm not saying that these cards shouldn't cost more if they are played a lot, but if the 3 were printed in say RTR (size/popularity wise not the actual environment), I doubt we would see those prices.

I think that you can get away without Core Sets if you commit to printing functional reprints of cheap answers that aren't tied to story or mechanics, but you lose the ability to 'forecast' decks a la Maro's Goblin Lord example. With the Modern/Eternal Masters sets, we likely won't see the reprints we want such as Noble Hierarch. This is going to be a place where you dump your Shocks, Elvish Visionaries, Disenchants, Murders, and idk Unsummons. In a few years, Wizards will realize that the Core Sets aren't selling again, and we will have an interesting situation since we know the consequences of not having answers.

I don't disagree with what you're saying here, especially how the price of constructed staples in core sets has been a real problem. But I would prefer to have them back because it lets Wizards space out the other sets a little more and it allows for miscellaneous staples to get the reprints they need. The reason they're bringing them back is because it turned out that they couldn't just print the staples they needed in flavor sets. Also their point on "set fatigue" is a good one. It's nice to be able to be able to skip a set and not feel like you need to keep up with a new release every 3 months or else fall behind.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I only started playing again during BFZ's release, but I will say that the the two-set drafts were always kind of awkward because there was limited overlap in mechanics support. You were gonna have a hard time making Investigate work off one pack of SoI.

Shadow225 posted:

"Core sets are necessary for the health of the game" isn't mutually exclusive with "Core sets sell poorly for a variety of reasons". I'm sure they've got ideas to deal with some of the points you've mentioned, but at the end of the day it's been effectively demonstrated that they are a necessary element of standard's card pool and the game suffers without them.

And hey, look on the bright side - now they won't have to waste slots for potentially new cards on yet another reprint of Negate and Dispel!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

80s James Hetfield posted:

How is it too good or is that like another Maro-ism?

We haven't had one in Standard for a few rotations and maro or someone else in R&D has said they didnt want ramp to be that fast. :negative:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Who wouldn't love a turn two Rhonas?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
One-drop mana dorks like 4-mana wraths are in the list of things Development decided was too constraining for Standard to have around all the time.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Siivola posted:

Who wouldn't love a turn two Rhonas?

Obviously they juts reprint Path in the same set as Llanowar Elves.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Reprint Rampant Growth or Harrow or something you fucks. Hell, I'll even take Terror.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Star Man posted:

Reprint Rampant Growth or Harrow or something you fucks. Hell, I'll even take Terror.

They'll print that with their version of Isis in Hour

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Star Man posted:

I think Attune with Aether is at worst of equivalent power level to Rampant Growth.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Are they making MODO announcements at this thing?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic posted:

I think Attune with Aether is at worst of equivalent power level to Rampant Growth.

Attune isn't even ramp.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I got smashed by in the top 8 of a PPTQ 2 weeks ago then played the deck the last 2 weekends with very good results. It's very strong and a billion times more fun to play than Marvel.

Welcome to the light. Have you tried fitting in elder-deep fiends? I've been trying to in place of the third Chandra and Glorybringer, and they are either really on point or useless.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

mcmagic posted:

Entropic posted:

Attune isn't even ramp.

It's a good card for standard but it's energy production and fixing, not ramp.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I'd say more powerful, though narrower.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

TheKingofSprings posted:

They'll print that with their version of Isis in Hour

nice

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DangerDongs posted:

Welcome to the light. Have you tried fitting in elder-deep fiends? I've been trying to in place of the third Chandra and Glorybringer, and they are either really on point or useless.

I'm playing 2 Chandra Torch MB and 2 Chandra Flamecaller in the SB. You definitely want the 3 Glorybringers. Deep fiend didn't seem necessary to me in my testing. Also Aetherwind Basker is a very playable card in this deck.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Smashing Link posted:

I'd say more powerful, though narrower.

It doesn't even accelerate your mana.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pontius Pilate posted:

getting rid of core sets was good, back when they told us they would also increase the number of reprints in blocks. now that that was clearly a lie, bringing them back is good since they apparently can't fudge flavor just a little for IOK or Ghostfire

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
it's not even like ghostfire is a good card or anything it just would have been a cool card to print

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

AceClown posted:

Are they making MODO announcements at this thing?

Digital announcements are tomorrow. unclear if this means MTGO or something new or both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

it's not even like ghostfire is a good card or anything it just would have been a cool card to print

Hell they could have printed it in Dragons of Tarkir as a precursor to BFZ and it would have fit the setting