Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

BigRed0427 posted:

Seriously, gently caress these people

wtf I hate AI algorithms now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Deified Data posted:

Doesn't really meet the "intellectual" requirement for this thread (though, do they ever?) but Nick Robinson of Polygon and Cool Games Inc fame is getting ousted for being a creeper to fans on Twitter. He hasn't defended himself against any of the accusations yet (horndogging female fans, asking for nudes via DM) so it's looking like it's probably all true. He's definitely leaving Polygon and CGI is probably done too, which really, really sucks. Not that he can't be replaced as Griffin McElroy's foil but the two were close.

Basically what I'm asking is what are the odds of him going full Nazi like almost every other Youtube guy who bumps up against "political correctness" even once. He never struck me as that kind of guy unlike Jontron or Pew "RAPE!" Diepie but he was good at hiding it, I guess.

i doubt it. he doesnt strike me as the type, my guess is he will just go underground and hide like jontron did.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

toanoradian posted:

Taking about Nick being creepy and Griffin being connected to this makes me realize majority of my podcast entertainment is McElroy brothers and I dread the moment they too are stained.

But anyway, Nick Robinson isn't an intellectual, an intellectual say things like: "Is Holocaust even a bad thing? If it happens, is it even bad?"

Is Sargon considered alt-right and/or a Nazi?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

wtf I hate AI algorithms now?

I'm sure you're aware AI algorithms are fed by flags provided by humans. Usually humans who love to suppress speech. And what's more, they're not even leftists!!?!??!

RatEarth
Aug 7, 2017

I didn't say that.
but it'd be funny if I did

fallenturtle posted:

Not a Nazi, but almost certainly alt-right by most people, even if he calls himself a "classical liberal".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The alt-right consider him alt-lite, because for example he asks questions about the morality of the Holocaust instead of outright saying that it was a lie but it would be cool if it had happened.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

fallenturtle posted:

He pretends he isn't but isn't fooling anyone

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

fallenturtle posted:

I feel like if you're asking whether the holocaust is bad, you might be a nazi.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Vulpinetaco posted:

Not a Nazi, but almost certainly alt-right by most people, even if he calls himself a "classical liberal".

/pol/ called him a gateway drug to the alt-right

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

OwlFancier posted:

If you feel like you need some Lebensraum you might be a nazi

If Downfall seemed like a tragic biopic you might be a nazi

If you dont want Bomber Harris to do it again you might be a nazi

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

OwlFancier posted:

I was looking up his statements on the holocaust out of curiosity and I came across a tweet saying he's been hired by MTV?!

https://twitter.com/Sargon_of_Akkad/status/894645963880640512

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

fallenturtle posted:

I was looking up his statements on the holocaust out of curiosity and I came across a tweet saying he's been hired by MTV?!

Sargon vs Francesca Ramsay in a intergender deathmatch

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Sargon vs Francesca Ramsay in a intergender deathmatch

Which takes place over the summer while they live together in a Malibu beach house. Also, a ropes course.

My prediction: They stop being polite and start getting real.

RatEarth
Aug 7, 2017

I didn't say that.

Yeah, basically. He occupies the space between "alt-lite" meme-loving neocon/libertarian and the full on alt-right. He's an easier pill to swallow than full-blown holocaust deniers and race realists, but his "skepticism" leads to the encouraging of thought processes that land one in those camps.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

fallenturtle posted:

Which takes place over the summer while they live together in a Malibu beach house. Also, a ropes course.

My prediction: They stop being polite and start getting real.

I wanted to see Sargon piledrive Francesca through a table

Boooooooo!!!!!

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Vulpinetaco posted:

Yeah, basically. He occupies the space between "alt-lite" meme-loving neocon/libertarian and the full on alt-right. He's an easier pill to swallow than full-blown holocaust deniers and race realists, but his "skepticism" leads to the encouraging of thought processes that land one in those camps.

Does alt-lite describe a bunch of these youtubers who seem to be relatively ok with gay people, truscum transgender people, particular people of color, probably love Opie and Anthony, but kvetch about feminism, SJWs, institutional racism, privilege, progressives/liberals/Democrats, etc?

fallenturtle fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 8, 2017

RatEarth
Aug 7, 2017

I didn't say that.

fallenturtle posted:

Does alt-lite describe a bunch of these youtubers who seem to be cool with gay people, truscum transgender people, people of color, probably love Opie and Anthony, but rail about feminism, SJWs, institutional racism, privilege, progressivism, etc?

Usually I think of it as neocons who hopped on the alt-right bandwagon while still espousing their fairly establisment beliefs, but I guess what you're describing would be the libertarians I mentioned, people like MrRepzion (is he still around?) and a lot of the old atheist community on youtube. In other words, it's the people who aren't openly racist/sexist like the alt-right, but are taking advantage of the pushback against a perceived "PC" threat.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
To go to a fairly inconsequential topic, I noticed today that RLM dropped a preview for their new Plinkett review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaEoVnVxvGs

Usually I love these guys but I have to me admit I rolled my eyes a bit when I saw it was for the 2016 Ghostbusters movie. I know, I know, its bad and not funny and vapid corporate Feminism and all that, but does anyone else kind of get the impression that it's been the subject of much harsher criticism over a longer period of time than something like this really deserves? Normally bad movies just fade off after a month or two but the 2016 Ghostbusters movie still seems to get a lot more commentary and critique from youtube film reviewers like RLM or, say Georg Rockall-Schmidt. Heck RLM already did two long videos on the movie already.

RatEarth
Aug 7, 2017

I didn't say that.

khwarezm posted:

To go to a fairly inconsequential topic, I noticed today that RLM dropped a preview for their new Plinkett review:

Usually I love these guys but I have to me admit I rolled my eyes a bit when I saw it was for the 2016 Ghostbusters movie. I know, I know, its bad and not funny and vapid corporate Feminism and all that, but does anyone else kind of get the impression that it's been the subject of much harsher criticism over a longer period of time than something like this really deserves? Normally bad movies just fade off after a month or two but the 2016 Ghostbusters movie still seems to get a lot more commentary and critique from youtube film reviewers like RLM or, say Georg Rockall-Schmidt. Heck RLM already did two long videos on the movie already.

Well, 2016 Ghostbusters was a controversial topic at the time, and still does get a certain crowd of manbabies angry. Forgive me for being cynical, but I think a lot of the people still talking about it are just doing it for sweet rage-clicks, because I just don't see what there's really left to discuss about it. Hell, I even forgot it existed until you brought it back up.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vulpinetaco posted:

Well, 2016 Ghostbusters was a controversial topic at the time, and still does get a certain crowd of manbabies angry. Forgive me for being cynical, but I think a lot of the people still talking about it are just doing it for sweet rage-clicks, because I just don't see what there's really left to discuss about it. Hell, I even forgot it existed until you brought it back up.

this and being a ghostbusters flick it occupies more headspace among the pop culture obsessed than it shoud. like if they rebooted gi joe or something

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

fallenturtle posted:

They canned Laci after one season so I don't think it would be as a personality. Maybe in a documentary or taking out the trash at the Swindon branch or something.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

business hammocks posted:

They canned Laci after one season so I don't think it would be as a personality. Maybe in a documentary or taking out the trash at the Swindon branch or something.

i can see it, viacom is desperate to do something, anything with MTV since teens don't watch music videos on television or really much television anymore. MTV's ratings have been cratering hard

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

"This is TRL with Sargon, your 40-something heartthrob fighting white genocide. Go to aol keyword nodegenerateart to submit your video picks and comments for what hot video proof of the cultural superiority of the west is next in our countdown. "

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

This is a fairly accurate description of Sargon and many of the other Rationals™.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's a fittingly stupid metaphor too, since the science behind gateway drugs is as wrong and empty as the alpha wolf poo poo the pepes love to spout.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

khwarezm posted:

Mike Stoklasa is a bit of a bro. He's dropped a bunch of jokes about "forced diversity" in the new Star Wars. I think he's fairly aware of lovely Hollywood standards, but sometimes isn't bright enough to differentiate between Hollywood cynicism and actually advancing minority representation in whatever small way (including in lovely movies like Ghostbusters 2016).

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

business hammocks posted:

It's a fittingly stupid metaphor too, since the science behind gateway drugs is as wrong and empty as the alpha wolf poo poo the pepes love to spout.

I started snorting a Sargon at parties once in a while... now I'm turning tricks in alleys so I can freebase BPS and the Golden One.

Pembroke Fuse fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 8, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

khwarezm posted:

to be fare with RLM, it might not even be ghostbusters 2016. it could be another movie, they have been known to troll like that. like cop dog instead of indiana jones 4. personally i thought the movie was crap and the way the studio ran it worse, rlm is funny and edgy but the often make very good points and movies and hosed up industry stuff.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

boner confessor posted:

this and being a ghostbusters flick it occupies more headspace among the pop culture obsessed than it shoud. like if they rebooted gi joe or something

they did and then made a sequel apparently. it was awful apparently.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Mike Stoklasa is a bit of a bro. He's dropped a bunch of jokes about "forced diversity" in the new Star Wars. I think he's fairly aware of lovely Hollywood standards, but sometimes isn't bright enough to differentiate between Hollywood cynicism and actually advancing minority representation in whatever small way (including in lovely movies like Ghostbusters 2016).

I think it's not going to be a "women can't be funny!" take, I think it's going to be a "don't improv all your jokes and try to find the movie in editing" take.

Just my two cents. :shrug:

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

WampaLord posted:

I think it's not going to be a "women can't be funny!" take, I think it's going to be a "don't improv all your jokes and try to find the movie in editing" take.

Just my two cents. :shrug:

Hope so. I'm generally a big fan of RLM and Mike (although I like Jay, Rich and AIDS Moby more these days).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wheel of the Worst is everything. Everything else is nothing, except for Rich's laugh. Jessie's laugh too, but internet nerds scared her away with creepy comments.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

fallenturtle posted:

If its not the law, then what's keeping the Nazis, KKK, etc from going around and murdering minorities?

Historically, this is the exact problem.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
these alt-right types have a lot to learn

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/894652153696067584

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Hurry up and die you gently caress.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

khwarezm posted:

Hurry up and die you gently caress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQNV3KGQiS0

I was honestly shocked he was still alive in the primary. It occurred to me he's older than Bernie by enough for Sanders to hate him since he was a child too. Imagined Sanders being just as suprised to find out evil never dies. Could imagine Kissinger coming up to him before a debate

Kissin'Ga!? Christ.
Hello Bernie, its nice to meet you.
You're still alive? I thought Reagan hired an exorcist.
I'm just a harmless old man past his prime, like you, these days
What do you want?
Oh nothing, I just want to see the shoah go on. Ha, ha. I'm with her

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
henry Kissinger really ought to be mentioned in the same breath as one of the single biggest mass murderers in history from how many loving people he outright murdered or helped murder or subjugated under fascist regimes.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
yeah the fact that kissinger is not widely regarded by the US political class, press and public as one of the worst war criminals the world has ever seen is a damning indictment on the country.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
What are you talking about? Super K is a respected statesman, he's got the support of Hillary, he's totally gone legit like Wilson Fisk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Sneakster posted:

What are you talking about? Super K is a respected statesman, he's got the support of Hillary, he's totally gone legit like Wilson Fisk.

Who would win in a battle of wills?

Kissinger or Soros?

• Locked thread