Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
There's a coffee shop in Docklands all the border force go to. They're the most uniformly Ringwood looking fuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

There's a coffee shop in Docklands all the border force go to. They're the most uniformly Ringwood looking fuckers.

Shame it’s not on central pier

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://twitter.com/jrhennessy/status/1167225346707443713

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

$20 million for the Amazon. From 7 countries.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

It better have a moat with crocodiles in it for that kind of money.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

It better have a moat with crocodiles in it for that kind of money.

I’d settle for the walls to be rendered polystyrene and sending the thing up in flames

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

cohsae posted:

$20 million for the Amazon. From 7 countries.

Netflix paid $100mil so they could stream friends.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Way more people care about Friends than the Amazon tbf.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Tokamak posted:

Way more people care about Friends than the Amazon tbf.

idk plenty of people seem to have signed up for amazon prime

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

the new amazon fire is pretty hosed up. it has alexa now

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

NPR Journalizard posted:

Netflix paid $100mil so they could stream friends.

Remember when Activision bought Candy Crush for $5.9 billion dollars.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Lady was int he post office at the same time as me to pay her rates, loudly complaining it's just as expensive as renting.

I fucken wish.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Pleasant Friend posted:

Remember when Activision bought Candy Crush for $5.9 billion dollars.

I've kept up with the yospos tech bubble thread for years, big corporations paying prices like that to buy useless crap are all too common.

Purk
Aug 9, 2017
Great Barrier Reef outlook downgraded to very poor from poor. Whoops.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Surprised Cairns Pikachu

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Lies and the lying liars who tell them

quote:

The former New South Wales MP Ernest Wong has been accused of lying to an anti-corruption investigation about whether he sold seats at Bill Shorten’s table to the Chinese billionaire and banned donor Huang Xiangmo for $100,000.

Wong, a state upper house member until earlier this year, helped organise a Chinese Friends of Labor fundraising dinner featuring Shorten, the then federal Labor leader, and other high-profile party figures shortly before the 2015 state election. That dinner is at the centre of an investigation by the Independent Commission Against Corruption, which has already led to the suspension of the Labor’s NSW general secretary, Kaila Murnain.

The inquiry has heard allegations and evidence that Huang – a property developer and prolific political donor – gave $100,000 in cash to the party but his contributions were masked by a series of straw, or fake, donors.

Wong was pressed on Friday about whether he sold the head table to Huang for $100,000. Huang was pictured on the night sitting with Shorten, the then NSW Labor leader, Luke Foley, Wong and other guests.

Icac’s counsel assisting, Scott Robertson, pushed Wong from the outset of his evidence about whether he had ever told anyone that he had sold the head table for $100,000. Robertson was forced to ask the same question at least six times and accused Wong of seeking to evade answering it.

“Have you ever said to anyone that the head table for the Chinese Friends of Labor dinner on the 12th March 2015 had been taken for $100,000?” Robertson asked.

Eventually Wong said he had not.

The hearing was then shown an email from Wong to a man named Joseph Law. Law had asked: “The table with Bill Shorten and Chris Bowen, how much is it?”

Wong had replied: “Sorry that the head table has already been taken for $100,000.”

Robertson then accused Wong of giving “false evidence” to Icac. “It was knowingly false because when you answered that question ... you first sought to evade the question, and you then told a lie,” he said.

Wong responded: “No I didn’t tell a lie. I tried to search my memory.”

Later Wong was asked whether he had ever sold seats to the head table. Wong replied: “I did not sell seats on the head table.”

The hearing was then shown an email from Jonathan Yee, a senior figure in the Chinese Friends of Labor group, which set out revenue targets for the dinner.

In the email Yee said: “Head table at $10,000 per person (Ernest Wong is responsible for this table).”

Robertson then pressed Wong on whether he had sold the table to Huang for $100,000. Wong said he had not.

“You sold that table to Mr Huang Xiangmo, didn’t you?” Robertson asked. Wong replied that he had not.

Robertson continued to press Wong: “In exchange for Mr Huang Xiangmo agreeing to pay $100,000 in connection with the head table of the Chinese Friends of Labor dinner on 12th March 2015, he was permitted to sit at the head table with Mr Shorten, Mr Foley and you with four other guests?”

Wong said he had not.

“I want to suggest to you that that is false evidence that you’ve given to this commission, and in point in fact you … sold it to Mr Huang, and you sold it for a sum like $100,000?”

Wong denied the suggestion.

Evidence was then produced to Icac showing $12,200 raised at the 2015 dinner was moved to a bank account controlled by the Friends of Chinese Community Incorporated. Wong was the convener of the Friends of Chinese Community group, which he said helped organise events for the Chinese community. It is not formally associated with any political party.

Wong said he had obtained the consent of an official in the NSW Labor branch, Kenrick Cheah, to transfer the money to the private company. He said the money was to be used to help cover its expenses in organising lunar new year events and media costs.

Wong later conceded that the Labor official who had given him consent would not have had the authority to speak on behalf of Labor on the matter.

Earlier evidence to Icac suggested that in September 2016 a distressed Wong approached Murnain to say Huang had donated large sums of money to the Labor party and others had claimed to have donated when they had not.

Murnain said she had sought the advice of the federal Labor senator Sam Dastyari, who was then engulfed in his own scandal involving Huang and his company, Yuhu Group. That scandal had forced him from the Labor frontbench eight days earlier.

Dastyari is said to have told Murnain to approach Labor’s lawyers. Murnain said she was told to keep quiet about what she knew.

what a loving disaster

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

JBP posted:

There’s a career aptitude survey website used by the local high school. No matter how you answer the questions between the accountancy, nursing and IT matches Border Force always pops in ranked at about four or five.

They do this in year nine.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Graic Gabtar posted:

There’s a career aptitude survey website used by the local high school. No matter how you answer the questions between the accountancy, nursing and IT matches Border Force always pops in ranked at about four or five.

that sounds ethical

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Graic Gabtar posted:

lmao

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Graic Gabtar posted:

I took the test and got journalist.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
I’ll dig up the name of it and pic when I get a chance to wrestle daughter’s ipad out of her hands.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

I took the test and got journalist.

Sorry

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Graic Gabtar posted:

they also do naplan in year 9. you know what would be really great, tying naplan results to job outcomes so the kids get that it's important to do maths

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

Lid posted:

Lies and the lying liars who tell them

what a loving disaster

Oh wow, no way. The party of Eddie Obeid would never do this. Wow, shocking.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

ColtMcAsskick posted:

Oh wow, no way. The party of Eddie Obeid would never do this. Wow, shocking.

at least Obeid got results

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Very ballsy calling it Chinese Friends of Labor rather than like, United Freedom Coalition

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Imagine the kind of cretin that works for border force and doesn’t hang themselves

My Indonesian teacher suggested immigration + border force as potentially being places that would value a fluent Indonesian speaker and its just like, as much as I would love a job I can never bring myself to do it

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

Bernstrike posted:

at least Obeid got results

every now and then i remember there was a four corners ep that basically gave him a platform to rant about union leaders not letting them sell off public assets to his corrupt mates when it was basically an open secret at the time and no one in the abc editorial bothered to even try and shitcan it. diseased country

https://www.abc.net.au/4corners/off-the-rails/1088230

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Scylo posted:

My Indonesian teacher suggested immigration + border force as potentially being places that would value a fluent Indonesian speaker and its just like, as much as I would love a job I can never bring myself to do it

You’re a good person

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
on the other hand if you always dreamt of being able to do secret heroics against the nazis and have a genuine backbone underneath the flesh of a goon, border force might offer you opportunities

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Kill me

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/MdmAbsentMinded/status/1167219289515888640

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Read the tweet it's responding to, they also separated them for what I can only imagine is literally no reason other than cruelty.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

What does the exiled infant think of the unpopular Queensland Premier though

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Why are people warming to Deb! ?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

*looks at Gridlocked*

Gentlemen it was a pleasure.

*jumps into Brisbane River*

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Bernstrike posted:

what kind of acid?

hydroflouric

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

correct! :science:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Anidav posted:

*looks at Gridlocked*

Gentlemen it was a pleasure.

*jumps into Brisbane River*

We all new this was coming Dave. With ScoMo in, The Adani Issue (ignoring all the other mining projects green lit away from the spotlight) and Pappy Murdoch in a bad mood; the writing was on the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

HELP I NEED SOMEBODY