Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Every time I've played Dominant Species that I can recall, the domination action has never failed to fill up every round so I'm not entirely sure how you could make it run faster, or that it needs to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Fat Samurai posted:

We're planning to play BSG tomorrow, but we're not sure of the player count yet. I know 5 is the magic number, but is the game workable with 4 or 6? There were alternative rules for the sympathiser in the case of 4 players, IIRC.

4's not great because you only have one Cylon. 6 is fine, just use the No Sympathizer variant rules from the rulebook.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Fat Samurai posted:

We're planning to play BSG tomorrow, but we're not sure of the player count yet. I know 5 is the magic number, but is the game workable with 4 or 6? There were alternative rules for the sympathiser in the case of 4 players, IIRC.

Yeah it works fine with 4,5 and 6 just don't use the sympathiser as it is really lame for whoever draws that card

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
None of the changes in TI4 have me rushing to sell my TI3. There's some interesting streamlining, but most of those could be houseruled if FFG don't make a conversion kit. They've made smart changes that'll make it a better game out of the box than TI3 is, but I think TI3 + Expansions seems to offer more than enough.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Got millennium blades to the table again. Aside from one guy being salty about not playing gloomhaven everyone had fun. One player has a love hate relationship with the game as he likes it but struggles to narrow down his options to a cohesive plan early.

I really like it because you have the hectic deck building phase and the strategic tournament. It's like galaxy trucker in a good way.

Only rules goof was me failing to realize the aftermarket is not happened in size in the deck building phase. Whoops

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

The End posted:

None of the changes in TI4 have me rushing to sell my TI3. There's some interesting streamlining, but most of those could be houseruled if FFG don't make a conversion kit. They've made smart changes that'll make it a better game out of the box than TI3 is, but I think TI3 + Expansions seems to offer more than enough.

Is there any rumours of a conversion kit floating around? Or are the changes to the tiles and cards and what not SO DRASTIC that they won't sell anything.

I wish I had purchased Dominant Species a long time ago because I am aching to grab one these days. It's probably one of the big glaring holes in my collection as far as games that keep getting brought up in this thread.

EDIT: lol, a Resident Evil 2 board game by the guys who did Dark Souls

http://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-news/resident-evil-2-the-board-game-announced/

quote:

Developed (is that the right word here?) by Steamforged Games (who previously Kickstarted Dark Souls: The Board Game), it’s an officially licensed game from Capcom, and will be launch on Kickstarter in later Autumn.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 16, 2017

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Medium Style posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on selling used games on BGG marketplace instead of eBay? Someone mentioned earlier that BGG was the way to go, but I have plenty of experience selling on eBay already, with good results, and I'm hesitant to try something different. Is it that much better?

Since you have a solid account on eBay, sell there and link the sale on the BGG marketplace for the game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Also there is a setting where you can get BGG messages through email. You can respond from your email as well.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Medium Style posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on selling used games on BGG marketplace instead of eBay? Someone mentioned earlier that BGG was the way to go, but I have plenty of experience selling on eBay already, with good results, and I'm hesitant to try something different. Is it that much better?

List it on both, and Craigs list too. More exposure = faster sale.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Anyone have a custom insert for Gloomhaven? There are like 4 companies making them. Laserox, Daedalus, Broken Token, and Meeple Reality.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Lorini posted:

Since you have a solid account on eBay, sell there and link the sale on the BGG marketplace for the game.

That seems like it would be frowned upon, no? Using one market place site to point to another? If I were BGG and trying to get a percentage of the sale, I wouldn't want people using it to link to eBay instead.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Kiranamos posted:

Anyone have a custom insert for Gloomhaven? There are like 4 companies making them. Laserox, Daedalus, Broken Token, and Meeple Reality.
I was looking into them, but they all require assembly. When I read estimates of 4-6 hours assembly time, I decided a couple of Plano boxes would work just fine.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Kiranamos posted:

I'm gravitating towards the Daedalus. I've had a Broken Token insert before, and while it's nice, their wood seems to always be pretty lovely/splintery.

Heard good things about Meeple Realty.

I like the concept of the Laserox but it seems that everything is put together super snug which may be an issue later on when your boxes and stuff end up getting slowly damage. That and it's in euros? Maybe just me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

kinkouin posted:

I'm gravitating towards the Daedalus.

drat that's a seriously impressive piece of work

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The meeple realty gloomhaven insert was a nice afternoon project. I don't know why we assembled it way before we got the game but meh. Their engineering is pretty neat. Orleans has these semicircle resource troughs that feel like they're about to break right before you attach them but the slats are really clever. I think pretty much every other insert is just attaching walls to walls so it's nice to have unique designs from MR.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

The meeple realty gloomhaven insert was a nice afternoon project. I don't know why we assembled it way before we got the game but meh. Their engineering is pretty neat. Orleans has these semicircle resource troughs that feel like they're about to break right before you attach them but the slats are really clever. I think pretty much every other insert is just attaching walls to walls so it's nice to have unique designs from MR.

Yeah MR like to overengineer things but still put out some of the cheapest inserts. I'm picking up their Feast for Odin insert, it adds some great flavor to the table with stuff like this

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

My wife and I played the first campaign session of Arkham Card Game last night. Went well. I know it was the first tutorial level but I wish there were more choices at times. When an enemy engaged you as Roland you basically shot your way out every time. My wife played as Roland and if she hadn't drawn his .38 special I don't think we would have had a chance, to be honest. I think I learned it might be good to use turns to set up prior to having enemies engage you, especially as a weaker character. I liked the idea of the rogueish character running away and then using sneaky attacks once the enemy was exhausted. I'd like to try to capitalize on that more, I think.

Now to figure out how to spend this XP.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Medium Style posted:

That seems like it would be frowned upon, no? Using one market place site to point to another? If I were BGG and trying to get a percentage of the sale, I wouldn't want people using it to link to eBay instead.

BGG actually has this function built in - linking to Ebay auctions, so I think they are ok with it.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

drat that's a seriously impressive piece of work

Yeah. I mean, it's a different type of wood, and they're just laser engraving/cutting it like the rest - but just having that different color/contrast on everything makes it REALLY nice.

Of course, you pay for it cause it's way more pricey than the rest. However, I feel it's worth it, especially for a game like Gloomhaven where you're going to see the inserts. A lot.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah MR like to overengineer things but still put out some of the cheapest inserts. I'm picking up their Feast for Odin insert, it adds some great flavor to the table with stuff like this

Yeah it's really weird that no other insert makers want to do do stuff with curved wood. It's just walls and more walls.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Lump Shaker posted:

BGG actually has this function built in - linking to Ebay auctions, so I think they are ok with it.

Or you could do what some other people do, and be a dick - I've already had a few things I bought where they said "You know what, we're just using BGG marketplace as another way to list things, but use our own checkout on our website."

Maybe they pay a flat fee or something, but these were people that listed (and possibly sold) thousands of items at a time.

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah it's really weird that no other insert makers want to do do stuff with curved wood. It's just walls and more walls.

Not really that weird - It's hard to ensure that sort of tolerances when you ship it, even within the sheets that you have to punch out. It takes up a lot of space on each sheet so they get less out of it.

I assume Meeple Realty just decides to take a slightly bigger loss on these to make up for the demand of how they go the extra mile on these. If I had Feast of Odin, I'd probably get theirs just cause they went for that extra flair.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

al-azad posted:

I'm planning on playing a game at Gencon, only have read the rules, so while I can't comment on what an actual game is like it doesn't seem too far off base from a multiplayer wargame to me. There's even a built catch-up strategy that gives you free points.

Where are you seeing the catch-up strategy?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

kinkouin posted:

Not really that weird - It's hard to ensure that sort of tolerances when you ship it, even within the sheets that you have to punch out. It takes up a lot of space on each sheet so they get less out of it.

I assume Meeple Realty just decides to take a slightly bigger loss on these to make up for the demand of how they go the extra mile on these. If I had Feast of Odin, I'd probably get theirs just cause they went for that extra flair.
I don't know if it's a lack or imagination or engineers who'd be willing to design them. After all, if it needs more planning and material it's not like the MR gloomhaven and twilight struggle inserts are priced the same. I'd just like to see maybe a row of resource chit containers with s-curves or something neat like that. I'm just glad mercury is going with MR for Container. I want a giant wooden harbor to house the ridiculously sized ships.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

So TI4 is actually being sold at Gencon. Wonder if they'll also have some of their other new games for sale. I'm pretty interested in the new Civ.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Kiranamos posted:

I got the Meeple Realty one. Card holder will allow you to sleeve whatever you want, the tray for statuses and money/xp has a nice curved bit for sliding them out, and it was easy to assemble. Plus the lids for tiles/monsters are labeled so you can find poo poo easier. My only complaint is the huge cup of coke I spilled on my floor while I was putting it together.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Kiranamos posted:

I too would like to order one of these before they all sell out once everyone gets their copies. Any more opinions? I was reading some reddit threads and it sounds like Meeple Realty does a good job with the status tokens, but the cards aren't very organized. Daedalus is the inverse of that. Broken Token offers tuck boxes for the monsters.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

I too would like to order one of these before they all sell out once everyone gets their copies. Any more opinions? I was reading some reddit threads and it sounds like Meeple Realty does a good job with the status tokens, but the cards aren't very organized. Daedalus is the inverse of that. Broken Token offers tuck boxes for the monsters.

I got the Meeple Realty one while it was on sale a few weeks back. Assembly probably took 3 hours. It makes setup/breakdown about a billion percent easier. You can organize the cards any way you'd like to, it comes with a bunch of wood dividers. And it fits all the cards sleeved. I'd definitely recommend it.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

We often play with 6 or 7. Its not so bad even at those numbers as long as not too many are first time players, but it will make the game longer. Otherwise echoing previous posts. Sympathizer is an awful rule. BSG tends to tank more towards the end when you're low on one resource and making hard calls to make sure it doesn't run out. Usually things are still ok by the point the sympathizer has its tipping point so you just end up getting dogpiled by a bunch of cylons.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Chill la Chill posted:

I don't know if it's a lack or imagination or engineers who'd be willing to design them. After all, if it needs more planning and material it's not like the MR gloomhaven and twilight struggle inserts are priced the same. I'd just like to see maybe a row of resource chit containers with s-curves or something neat like that. I'm just glad mercury is going with MR for Container. I want a giant wooden harbor to house the ridiculously sized ships.

The latter, I would assume - mainly cause of the reasons I mentioned before - it takes up a lot of real estate on each of the sheets they cut from, so it makes it harder to keep a profit margin.

Also, just announced:

http://renegadegames.squarespace.com/news/2017/8/16/new-stand-alone-game-in-the-clank-universe-announced-clank-in-space

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm sort of playing chicken with Gloomhaven inserts right now, hoping one goes on sale again before the game itself comes out.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I ran through Arkham session 1 running both characters solo, and kind of realized that if you aren't under duress from the game deck, you can start digging through your deck for important cards (like a weapon or something), or stocking up resources to use on the +1/resource asset cards. That's likely part of the balance of the game, figuring out how fast you need to actually advance vs. stock up on cards/resources/build up your board.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Countblanc posted:

I'm sort of playing chicken with Gloomhaven inserts right now, hoping one goes on sale again before the game itself comes out.

This seems like the first game I'd own that would make it worthwhile. I'll probably wait until the beginning of next month and then pick one if there's no sale prior.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Waffles Inc. posted:

Where are you seeing the catch-up strategy?

Imperial strategy which seems to have been left in the dust in the expansions.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Has anyone here tried 7 continents? It sounds exactly like TIME stories but with an adventure theme and yet BGG is going wild over it. I assume it's going to be the same lame CYOA/coop game and it's sad that nobody's ever tried to replicate space alert with a different theme or add legacy components.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

al-azad posted:

Imperial strategy which seems to have been left in the dust in the expansions.

Ah I gotcha. My group took out Imperial I before even our first game because it's a No Fun(tm) mechanic in that, no matter what, when it's your "turn" to take Imperial, you're turbofucked if you don't. It may as well be something where you have to press a button at a certain time or else you lose

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

I have the broken token insert. The tuck boxes make a huge difference as they hold both the monster cards and the standees. Everything assembled quickly in around 3-4 hours, and sort of interconnects in the box keeping everything in place during transport. Setup time is roughly 20% of what is was before the insert. Isaac also had design input on the broken token one if that makes a difference to anyone.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

ShaneB posted:

OK, preordered Gloomhaven ($95 seems more than fair) and included Clank! because getting the order over $125 to get free shipping is worth paying effectively like $18 for Clank. Now to wait. Cardhaus better get that game fast.

Where did you preorder it from?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

LLSix posted:

Where did you preorder it from?

He mentioned Cardhaus in the last sentence: http://www.cardhaus.com/catalog/preorder_board_games/gloomhaven/404103

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
While I don't doubt that the Gloomhaven inserts are decent, we've had no trouble organising the game without one so if anyone's on the fence about it I definitely recommend looking at the option of just using plano boxes for the chits, an expanding file folder for the map tiles, a CD flip case for the monster cards (especially if you're using the app for the monster AI decks which I highly recommend for table space and substantially reduced shuffling), and a small ring binder for the item cards (which I actually think would be better than any organiser as you end up having a lot of purchasable items to browse through once you get a prosperity level or two). With that setup we can get a scenario set up in 5-10 minutes. The only downside is that if we take the game somewhere else, everything fits inside except for the file folder of map tiles so that has to be brought separately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Note I've heard mixed reviews but they are respected overall.