Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

xxEightxx posted:

Just want to go on record and say gently caress off to the dev who thought this game needed a portal style minigame. Tia.

If you mean the hacking thing in FH then it's much closer to a Shadowrun minigame than a Portal one IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Seashell Salesman posted:

If you mean the hacking thing in FH then it's much closer to a Shadowrun minigame than a Portal one IMO.

No, they mean the part on the misty island where you're hacking poo poo in the TRON construction set

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Yeah, that's what he said

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Deceitful Penguin posted:

No, they mean the part on the misty island where you're hacking poo poo in the TRON construction set

It as passably tolerable until the last level when it was clear some dev was more interested in how much he could impress him or herself than making something that was fun and engaging.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

xxEightxx posted:

It as passably tolerable until the last level when it was clear some dev was more interested in how much he could impress him or herself than making something that was fun and engaging.

Only the first three levels are needed to advance the plot. The final level is so tedious and spergy that even I threw up my hands and quit.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I did them all and they all seemed reasonable and about as fun as these kinds of minigames go.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Yeah the last one wasn't so much difficult as tedious. I forced myself to do all of them at once, knowing that if I quit in the middle of it I would never load that save again.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
A while back someone was kind enough to mention that you can carry more than one of the blocks at the same time - they get added to your inventory like anything else. That made the quests slightly less tedious since you no longer had to run back and forth constantly.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Psychotic Weasel posted:

A while back someone was kind enough to mention that you can carry more than one of the blocks at the same time - they get added to your inventory like anything else. That made the quests slightly less tedious since you no longer had to run back and forth constantly.

Yeah that would be really terrible if you didn't store the bits in your workshop when reconfiguring between puzzle stages. It actually never occurred to me until now that someone might not be doing that.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Yeah I ran through them pretty quick. Never understood the extreme dislike, though I can understand they are a totally different game than people had been playing up to that point.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
I play fallout 4 to shooty shooty not solve puzzles. What do you think this is, fonv?

Also don't you need all five to get all marine armor.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Thinking about what could have been while replaying, I realized something. The institute is trying to get a nuclear reactor online. The brotherhood is trying to resurrect a mobile nuclear robot. Nuka world is powered by a nuclear power plant (that’s what the bottling facility is, right?) and as General, with enough perks you can build nuclear reactors for your settlements. Imagine if the big standoff was every faction having their own nuclear program and having to choose at the end who lives and dies? The few times factions interact is just the most mundane poo poo, and they’d be able to do something interesting with a story of humanity again threatening itself with nuclear annihilation.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Bethesda should be destroyed.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Nah they're cool

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

Nah they're cool

actually they're boring and formulaic

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
They got their probz but no one else does the thing they do better

Like Witcher 3 is the best RPG I've literally ever played but Bethesda has the junk-hoarding open-worlding do-anything shallow-combatting-and-questing down to a science. They also make a huge amount of money doing it, to the point that I'm not sure why there's not a dozen Skyrim or Fallout clones in the same vein of GTA clones.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Wolfsheim posted:

Like Witcher 3 is the best RPG I've literally ever played but Bethesda has the junk-hoarding open-worlding do-anything shallow-combatting-and-questing down to a science. They also make a huge amount of money doing it, to the point that I'm not sure why there's not a dozen Skyrim or Fallout clones in the same vein of GTA clones.

And they did great with the assets they acquired too like Doom and Wolfenstein.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hah, welcome to modding Gamebryo* engine games.

man even when the ground in Primm wasn't real at least it didn't crash the game. Anyway I'll take it as a sign not to play FO4 and stay away for another 2 years

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Wolfsheim posted:

I finally bought The Witcher 3 the other day since the goty edition was on sale. So far I'm not seeing it being a better RPG than FO4. Feels like you're watching a movie about Geralt. The writing immediately feels way better, but idk. It's just not sucking me in. I've never been a big fan of that sort of medieval fantasy genre, but I still played the poo poo out of Skyrim because it was a great first person RPG. The Witcher 3 is not having the same effect so far. It's kind of reminding me of the issues that come up in the assassin's creed games. If the protagonist and the theme are fun and interesting to you, you'll like the game. That's how I was with Kenway and bad mother fucker rear end pirates in black flag. If you don't like it, you won't be interested. That's how I was with syndicate and the whole steampunk Victorian England thing I didn't care for. It's only really well done first person rpg's that can transcend the theme and character and get people to play because they like the mechanics, the freedom they have in making their own stories, and that feeling of the entire world being interactive. You know, role-playing. And in that regard, Bethesda is still light years ahead of everyone. Although, I think FO4 was a step backwards, and hopefully isn't foreshadowing for more attempts at ruining the only thing they do well.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Oct 29, 2017

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Volkerball posted:

I finally bought The Witcher 3 the other day since the goty edition was on sale. So far I'm not seeing it being a better RPG than FO4. Feels like you're watching a movie about Geralt. The writing immediately feels way better though.

I never got further than the first village in Witcher 1 because I really don't like Geralt as a character. Maybe the game is good but the game is all story and the story didn't click for me.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dejawesp posted:

I never got further than the first village in Witcher 1 because I really don't like Geralt as a character. Maybe the game is good but the game is all story and the story didn't click for me.

The Witcher 3 has a really cool war dynamic going on in the world. If I can impact that in some way and have fun with it, I might be able to put some hours into it. But otherwise it feels like a dud because yeah, Geralt is a really difficult person to be invested in. He's monotone and reserved, he's got his own established niche in a world that you were just born into, and he's a badass who already had poo poo under control and you don't even really need to be there. It feels like I was dropped into a new job in a new field and partnered up with a guy who has been working there for 20 years, and he's been told he has to listen to me and do everything I say. And we're just kind of awkwardly sitting there together with him stewing and refusing to talk to me because what the gently caress do I know, and me staring at the clock wanting to go home because he's right and I know it. That's not a very fun role to play imo.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Volkerball posted:

The Witcher 3 has a really cool war dynamic going on in the world. If I can impact that in some way and have fun with it, I might be able to put some hours into it. But otherwise it feels like a dud because yeah, Geralt is a really difficult person to be invested in. He's monotone and reserved, he's got his own established niche in a world that you were just born into, and he's a badass who already had poo poo under control and you don't even really need to be there. It feels like I was dropped into a new job in a new field and partnered up with a guy who has been working there for 20 years, and he's been told he has to listen to me and do everything I say. And we're just kind of awkwardly sitting there together with him stewing and refusing to talk to me because what the gently caress do I know, and me staring at the clock wanting to go home because he's right and I know it. That's not a very fun role to play imo.

That pretty much sums it up. Our hero is veteran bad rear end mc-got-poo poo-handled and I got into the thing 20 years too late and now things are already going to work themselves out.

I think some of the tutorial stuff was even Geralt telling other people how to do things.

I think I would have liked it more if it was more of a medieval mass effect where I got some say in how to do and approach things.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Last night I stumbled across Kid in a Fridge for the first time, and holy poo poo I think it's the worst piece of vanilla content I've ever experienced in a Bethesda game.

It starts with a bad and lazy concept, then adds the one-notiest of one-note characters that make Mama Murphy's ramblings sound like Dostoevsky. The writing is dreadful, the voice acting ain't great, and some of the audio sounds like it was recorded over lunch in the Bethesda break room. The quest NPCs are glitchy (if you can believe it!). Nothing about the story makes any sense whatsoever, and I'm pretty sure it even nonchalantly breaks Fallout's own canon/lore in one or two ways for no good reason. I spent the entirety of this quest thinking, "All right, what Arthmoor wannabe stealth-modded this amateur horseshit into my game?" But nope, it's vanilla, apparently. *sigh*

Welp thanks for letting me vent. I'm normally a filthy Bethesda apologist who forgives a lot of the stuff y'all regularly tear apart in this thread. But Kid in a Fridge is loving egregious by any creative standard. gently caress whatever producer let the dimwitted-but-lovable intern whip up a lil' quest to make his last day special.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 30, 2017

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I've come to the conclusion that the game would be much more enjoyable to play for me if the scenery didn't look so... dead. Skyrim has many of the same issues than Fallout 4, but at least there I get to admire these gorgeous vistas instead of looking at brown, brown and more brown.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Trustworthy posted:

Last night I stumbled across Kid in a Fridge for the first time, and holy poo poo I think it's the worst piece of vanilla content I've ever experienced in a Bethesda game.

Between that and the Castle being nearby and a couple other things, I half wonder if you weren't supposed to start the game in Quincy at some point.

It'd still be a poo poo quest, but tied onto Newbietown that's at least understandable.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Trustworthy posted:

It starts with a bad and lazy concept, then adds the one-notiest of one-note characters that make Mama Murphy's ramblings sound like Dostoevsky. The writing is dreadful, the voice acting ain't great, and some of the audio sounds like it was recorded over lunch in the Bethesda break room. The quest NPCs are glitchy (if you can believe it!). Nothing about the story makes any sense whatsoever, and I'm pretty sure it even nonchalantly breaks Fallout's own canon/lore in one or two ways for no good reason. I spent the entirety of this quest thinking, "All right, what Arthmoor wannabe stealth-modded this amateur horseshit into my game?" But nope, it's vanilla, apparently. *sigh*

Welp thanks for letting me vent. I'm normally a filthy Bethesda apologist who forgives a lot of the stuff y'all regularly tear apart in this thread. But Kid in a Fridge is loving egregious by any creative standard. gently caress whatever producer let the dimwitted-but-lovable intern whip up a lil' quest to make his last day special.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Played the game for about 2 months straight at release, and haven't touched it since. Downloaded all the DLC ( had the cheap season pass ) and am ready to crack into some survival mode!

So far I love survival mode! It's doing a lot of things right, it makes the pace a little slower, forces you to 'grow naturally' rather than head back to Sanctuary or wherever and make a mega castle, and feels very 'Fallout 1/2 ey'. I dislike the fact you can't save at all, should at least have a Gameboy Advance style 'memory point' that allows you to drop out at any time, and deletes that save when you return, but I can work around that.

The thing I want to talk about, or get some advice with, is the fact that I spend soooooo much time in menus. This was a problem with my first playthru for sure, it felt like it would take a half hour to unload my loot, sort out what i want to keep/sell/use as a crafting material.

Now, this problem seems to be magnified a hundred fold. Not only do I spend more time schlupping from a cleared site back to my base, but I'm spending tons of time in poorly constructed menus, functionally doing nothing but move a pile of garbage a to area b.

Do y'all have any advice for a guy that really wants to get back into this game, and has been playing this series for 15 years, but is fed up with the user interface? I literally am looking for advice on how to better manage my hoard. I need to eliminate the 'downtime', I played for like 3 hours last night and nearly half of that was in sanctuary just schlepping stuff or looking at menus.

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012

Grevlek posted:

So far I love survival mode! It's doing a lot of things right, it makes the pace a little slower, forces you to 'grow naturally' rather than head back to Sanctuary or wherever and make a mega castle, and feels very 'Fallout 1/2 ey'. I dislike the fact you can't save at all, should at least have a Gameboy Advance style 'memory point' that allows you to drop out at any time, and deletes that save when you return, but I can work around that.

As of a more recent patch, an exit save is created whenever you close the game normally, this is then deleted when you start back up.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Grevlek posted:

Played the game for about 2 months straight at release, and haven't touched it since. Downloaded all the DLC ( had the cheap season pass ) and am ready to crack into some survival mode!

The thing I want to talk about, or get some advice with, is the fact that I spend soooooo much time in menus. This was a problem with my first playthru for sure, it felt like it would take a half hour to unload my loot, sort out what i want to keep/sell/use as a crafting material.

Now, this problem seems to be magnified a hundred fold. Not only do I spend more time schlupping from a cleared site back to my base, but I'm spending tons of time in poorly constructed menus, functionally doing nothing but move a pile of garbage a to area b.

Do y'all have any advice for a guy that really wants to get back into this game, and has been playing this series for 15 years, but is fed up with the user interface? I literally am looking for advice on how to better manage my hoard. I need to eliminate the 'downtime', I played for like 3 hours last night and nearly half of that was in sanctuary just schlepping stuff or looking at menus.

Several things to make things simpler: use power armor, play a higher strength character, make very strict rules about which junk items you will pick up (eg. only fiber optics, crystal, nuclear material, etc.), don't loot armor or guns (but pick guns up once to get whatever was loaded before dropping), carry minimal gear when you leave your base and learn what you can guaranteed scavenge along the way, use the +carry weight armor mods, use a companion for storage (robot followers are superior).

Helpful mods: camping mods (make caches along routes you travel), Salvage Beacons (put all your junk in some container wherever you are, chuck a beacon on it and your settlers come and pick stuff up eventually).

Probably other stuff that I don't remember right now.

e: more things: use mods to lighten weapons, use weapons with lighter base weight, carry lighter food when leaving base and eat heavy food when at base, prioritize light food over heavy food, use weapons with lighter ammo, don't carry many grenades

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 1, 2017

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Thanks for both of the replies those are both very helpful!

Outside of carry weight, are their any strategies on better managing our junk back home base?

Even if it is as simple as this. I've started leaving all of my 'Travel Gear' in the Mailbox at Sanctuary. As soon as I get there, drop everything I use or intend to bring with me ( weapons, armor, meds ) in there, and then I go to my 'Sale' cabinet and drop everything that I know I'll sell in there, including taking a quick peek at any high VAL junk that is better sold than used. From there I have an 'Equipment' container, where I dump weapons, armor, and ammo in there.

Once I get past that, I kind of just mill about in town and seem to waste time. In storing the rest of my junk, I'm not what I should be keeping separate specifically for crafting? I know that certain items are used in the Chem station for example, but what are they, and where are they best stored?

Are there any lists of 'don't miss' generic loot, so I spend less time pilfering everything?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Power armor is a double edged sword on survival. Increased carry capacity, but you also have to maintain it. The easiest way of living in survival i found was to set up water purifiers at every settlement that allowed a decent amount them. The castle, nordhagen, egret tours, the boathouse, sanctuary, etc. Then i put all the emporiums at every one of them. Lastly, I got all settlements, put a bed indoors somewhere, and connected them all with provisioners. This gave me a bunch of different rest areas all over the map where I could heal up and rearm. So basically, I stopped gathering junk and loot altogether. Just used my water money to clean out the junk emporium and buy ammo. All you have to do is make it a point to swing by a water city when you're close. Makes life pretty easy. You can also do things like put doctors and artillery at every settlement to make things more accessible from anywhere on the map. Also vertibirds are a big help.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grevlek posted:

Thanks for both of the replies those are both very helpful!

Outside of carry weight, are their any strategies on better managing our junk back home base?

Even if it is as simple as this. I've started leaving all of my 'Travel Gear' in the Mailbox at Sanctuary. As soon as I get there, drop everything I use or intend to bring with me ( weapons, armor, meds ) in there, and then I go to my 'Sale' cabinet and drop everything that I know I'll sell in there, including taking a quick peek at any high VAL junk that is better sold than used. From there I have an 'Equipment' container, where I dump weapons, armor, and ammo in there.

Once I get past that, I kind of just mill about in town and seem to waste time. In storing the rest of my junk, I'm not what I should be keeping separate specifically for crafting? I know that certain items are used in the Chem station for example, but what are they, and where are they best stored?

Are there any lists of 'don't miss' generic loot, so I spend less time pilfering everything?

The chemistry and cooking stations pull from the workshop as well. You can just press the dump all junk button in the workshop interface and you're done.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

So did Diamond City have special Halloween decorations last year? Because I'm playing right now and it's got jack-o-lanterns scattered everywhere and the guards are complaining that they don't get any candy.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Volkerball posted:

The chemistry and cooking stations pull from the workshop as well. You can just press the dump all junk button in the workshop interface and you're done.

Right, so I guess my question is, does the game know well enough to just use Acid, or another item that has Acid in it, rather than Abraxo? Wouldn't I want the Abraxo to be preserved specifically for the Chem Reaction that uses it?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Grevlek posted:

Right, so I guess my question is, does the game know well enough to just use Acid, or another item that has Acid in it, rather than Abraxo? Wouldn't I want the Abraxo to be preserved specifically for the Chem Reaction that uses it?

I couldn't tell you the algorithm the workshop uses to pick junk off the top of my head, but yeah in principle it can split up stuff you otherwise want. To keep it out of workshop building you need to put it in a regular container. You really don't need to manually sort all your items like that-- just dump it all in the workshop storage and use the item category tabs to find what you want.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Volkerball posted:

Power armor is a double edged sword on survival. Increased carry capacity, but you also have to maintain it. The easiest way of living in survival i found was to set up water purifiers at every settlement that allowed a decent amount them. The castle, nordhagen, egret tours, the boathouse, sanctuary, etc. Then i put all the emporiums at every one of them. Lastly, I got all settlements, put a bed indoors somewhere, and connected them all with provisioners. This gave me a bunch of different rest areas all over the map where I could heal up and rearm. So basically, I stopped gathering junk and loot altogether. Just used my water money to clean out the junk emporium and buy ammo. All you have to do is make it a point to swing by a water city when you're close. Makes life pretty easy. You can also do things like put doctors and artillery at every settlement to make things more accessible from anywhere on the map. Also vertibirds are a big help.

Maintaining power armor in survival is 1000x easier than the set up you are describing. You need a tiny bit of aluminum/steel now and then to repair and you need to remember to occasionally pick up the cores that litter the wasteland.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grevlek posted:

There's nothing worth micromanaging this. In the case of abraxo cleaner, you're talking about mentats. You're never going to find enough brain fungus to make mentats in real bulk numbers. Meanwhile, abraxo cleaner is everywhere. Jet is the only chemistry component you can really produce in any decent numbers, and it's still lovely because settlements barely produce any fertilizer. I wouldn't even bother making the distinction. If you're hurting for money in the early game, it can be worth pulling out your pre-war money and selling it rather than using it to make sleeping bags, but aside from that, junk is junk imo.

Should be noted that even if you micromanaged the poo poo out of this and developed a whole intricate system where you were churning out as many drugs as you could, you'd still be making pennies on the dollar compared to the water baron who's just grabbing a stack of water from his work bench, selling it, then going about his day while he waits for it to refresh.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Dumping junk into the workbench is fast and easy but also cripples settlement production because it simply stops producing water/fertilizer/etc when it's too full. I think it's a performance workaround given historical bugs with overfull containers in other Bethesda games.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
^water isn't junk, it's aid. And settlements don't produce fertilizer for poo poo. It's w/e.

Seashell Salesman posted:

Maintaining power armor in survival is 1000x easier than the set up you are describing. You need a tiny bit of aluminum/steel now and then to repair and you need to remember to occasionally pick up the cores that litter the wasteland.

Sure, just to be wearing power armor. But when you're maintaining maxxed out x-01 for you and your companion, as well as Gatling lasers and poo poo, it gets a bit more resource intensive. Especially if you build robots, because it's all the same components, and robots are a resource pit. Companions poo poo especially requires a ton of maintenance. Always off trying to get into fistfights with super mutant suiciders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

isndl posted:

Dumping junk into the workbench is fast and easy but also cripples settlement production because it simply stops producing water/fertilizer/etc when it's too full. I think it's a performance workaround given historical bugs with overfull containers in other Bethesda games.

You should remove this limit with a mod-- it serves no good purpose except to tone down settlement attacks since your scrap hoard is part of the risk-vs-defense calculation.

• Locked thread