Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

paranoid randroid posted:

if hussie got ideas from this thread the comic would just be vriska clowning everyone forever

which might be an improvement over tumblr's intense desire for the comic to be everyone making googly eyes and crooning compliments to each other forever. or it might not be. who can say, really.

Hussie would just go with the best of both worlds and have everyone make googly eyes and croon compliments to Vriska forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

RZApublican posted:

Hussie would just go with the best of both worlds and have everyone make googly eyes and croon compliments to Vriska forever.

You know, I think I'd be okay with this.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Hussie, if you're reading this, don't not think about horses if you're bringing Aranea back.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

WAR FOOT posted:

Hussie, if you're reading this, don't not think about horses if you're bringing Aranea back.

Araneahoofsprite?

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.

Ariong posted:

Aw, crushes. I don't think Terezi will try to pursue this relationship anytime soon.

I think she might. The way I see it, this John/Terezi thing was actually part of the pre-retcon Terezi's plan. The seemingly purposeless scarf instructions she gave John - stealing and returning the stuffed dragon - were explained as Terezi just loving with John, but she did it by making John prank her past self. She created a situation where both of them would feel playfully antagonized by the other.

After all, one of the biggest mistakes Terezi made pre-retcon was dating Gamzee. If she wanted to fix her personal timeline, it'd make sense to set herself up in a healthier relationship.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Two Inch Bee posted:

I think she might. The way I see it, this John/Terezi thing was actually part of the pre-retcon Terezi's plan. The seemingly purposeless scarf instructions she gave John - stealing and returning the stuffed dragon - were explained as Terezi just loving with John, but she did it by making John prank her past self. She created a situation where both of them would feel playfully antagonized by the other.

After all, one of the biggest mistakes Terezi made pre-retcon was dating Gamzee. If she wanted to fix her personal timeline, it'd make sense to set herself up in a healthier relationship.

And the first thing she ever said to John was that she was going to slit his throat and smell him die.

Can't get much healthier than that.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Two Inch Bee posted:

Her setting up that blackrom is really hosed up and gross, and I feel bad for John for having to deal with it. :(

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

^^^^What, really? It's just some cross-timeline flirting, that's harmless.

Burkion posted:

And the first thing she ever said to John was that she was going to slit his throat and smell him die.

In troll blackrom terms that's basically "Nice shoes, wanna gently caress?" If John had Karkat's relationship knowledge he'd have been offended by such a clumsy come-on.

John's problem is that the more the idea of such a relationship antagonizes and weirds him out, the more he's playing into it by getting annoyed and flustered by Terezi. It's like a Chinese finger trap, the only way out is if he mellowed about it.

Although it'll be worth it to see Roxy's reaction when she figures out Terezi is alien-hate-macking on her would-be boyfriend.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Basically Terezi owns.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
"lol" if you cant appreciate terezis sincere commitment to thoroughly wrecking human nerds, even while in the process of bleeding to death.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

paranoid randroid posted:

"lol" if you cant appreciate terezis sincere commitment to thoroughly wrecking human nerds, even while in the process of bleeding to death.

This, but unironically

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Dolash posted:

John's problem is that the more the idea of such a relationship antagonizes and weirds him out, the more he's playing into it by getting annoyed and flustered by Terezi. It's like a Chinese finger trap, the only way out is if he mellowed about it.

Although it'll be worth it to see Roxy's reaction when she figures out Terezi is alien-hate-macking on her would-be boyfriend.

I'm sure that Jasprosesprite^2 can take the initiative and prototype Terezi and Roxy with the remaining Kernelsprite to form Teroxysprite^2, a perfectly-balanced amalgam of human and troll traits and romantic ideals that can serve as John's ideal girlfriend and goddammit I've written the plot to their new universe's second romcom haven't I

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Burkion posted:

Please, you kidding me?

It'd be John punching problems in the face until they stop being poo poo forever.

John would get a Stand. It would be named Dust in the Wind.

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.

Burkion posted:

Well. Healthier for her, anyway.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

RZApublican posted:

I'm sure that Jasprosesprite^2 can take the initiative and prototype Terezi and Roxy with the remaining Kernelsprite to form Teroxysprite^2, a perfectly-balanced amalgam of human and troll traits and romantic ideals that can serve as John's ideal girlfriend and goddammit I've written the plot to their new universe's second romcom haven't I

All I'm saying is, if Karkat actually took this crazy misadventure as inspiration, he would churn out romcoms like ookbeasts on text bangers.

Him and Rose, and wouldn't that be a pair?

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Truly a moirallegiance for the ages.

you may be asking what about karkles<>gams but makara is dumb clown trash so who cares

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Terezi didn't do the scarf poo poo just to gently caress with John or her alt-self or whatever, that's just what John thinks because he can't see the bigger picture

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Indecisive posted:

Terezi didn't do the scarf poo poo just to gently caress with John or her alt-self or whatever, that's just what John thinks because he can't see the bigger picture

Yeah there was that hesitation from Terezi when he asks if she was just loving with him which makes me think stealing the stuffed dragons is going to be relevant later.

Or else it's just more random poo poo Hussie threw in just in case he figured out a way to call back to it sometime so we could all go :aaa: you mean he was planning this all along?? :aaa:

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Dolash posted:

^^^^What, really? It's just some cross-timeline flirting, that's harmless.

If that was actually the purpose of those actions, then what actually happened there was Terezi telling John "you have to put your complete trust in my abilities as a Seer of Mind and do exactly what I'm telling you to do, it's the only way to fix everything" and exploiting that trust to set herself up with a good relationship. Almost exactly what Dirk did, in other words. So, no, not really seeing how it's harmless.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

frozentreasure posted:

If that was actually the purpose of those actions, then what actually happened there was Terezi telling John "you have to put your complete trust in my abilities as a Seer of Mind and do exactly what I'm telling you to do, it's the only way to fix everything" and exploiting that trust to set herself up with a good relationship. Almost exactly what Dirk did, in other words. So, no, not really seeing how it's harmless.

well its not like the explicit purpose of all the instructions was to make her crush on the guy. it may have been one of her goals, but even so it isnt like it was just for shits and giggles. well ok, some giggles. this is terezi were talking about.

i think its a little uncharitable to put her nefarious plan to make john antagonize her by moving stuffed animals around on the same level as dirk bulldogging jake into a relationship through a bizarre, smothering web of self-referential dirkism.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Plus, moving dragons does not result in brain damage.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think it's worth mentioning that Dirk/AR set up a Jigsaw-esque flesh riddle where Jake was forced to make out with Dirk's severed head in order to save the lives of his friends. Terezi could probably go a long way before hitting that particular milestone in weird relationship manipulation.

e: man, going through the archives for the page made me realise I forgot that one time where Jake beat the stuffing out of Meenah. He really used to be a lot more gung-ho!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Android Blues posted:

I think it's worth mentioning that Dirk/AR set up a Jigsaw-esque flesh riddle where Jake was forced to make out with Dirk's severed head in order to save the lives of his friends. Terezi could probably go a long way before hitting that particular milestone in weird relationship manipulation.

e: man, going through the archives for the page made me realise I forgot that one time where Jake beat the stuffing out of Meenah. He really used to be a lot more gung-ho!

To be super fair, she stone cold did not give a gently caress.

What is it with Trolls and having a Black crush on John anyways. First Karkat

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, but then he came to the realization that his whole thing about loving adventure and danger was really just a facade, or rather a coping mechanism to help himself deal with life alone on hellmurder island. Now that he doesn't need it anymore he's kind of unsure who he is. He just needs some time, I think.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

John is a huge goober and acts in a way that's antithetical to everything troll society values. Karkat and Terezi both have a complicated relationship with their society's values where they appreciate and often embody them, but are fundamentally good people underneath the spiteful bluster, so someone who can just uncomplicatedly be a good person probably triggers their "I admire him/wish I could be like that" and "god get a load of this cull-worthy nerd" responses in equal measure.

This is fertile soil for black romance. It just makes sense really!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
john brings out the bestworst in people, hes just that kind of guy

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
John is pretty much everything Jake isn't and what everyone wanted Jake to be.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
John's goobery sweetness is basically the troll equivalent of playing hard to get.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It's pretty obvious that Terezi's

quote:

TEREZI: 1 W4S 4LMOST C3RT41NLY FUCK1NG W1TH YOU
JOHN: ok, wow. great.
JOHN: good to know.
JOHN: thanks for that, terezi. that was a really awesome use of our time.
TEREZI: 1'M GL4D W3 4R3 1N COMPL3T3 4GR33M3NT

was her just running with it (and using the chance to mess with John) because she doesn't really know most of what her doomed self intended, even if she can probably infer the general idea. Just running with it is something Terezi always does.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zoe posted:

Yeah there was that hesitation from Terezi when he asks if she was just loving with him which makes me think stealing the stuffed dragons is going to be relevant later.

Or else it's just more random poo poo Hussie threw in just in case he figured out a way to call back to it sometime so we could all go :aaa: you mean he was planning this all along?? :aaa:

Honestly I thought the real point with the dragon plush stuff was to befuddle retconned Terezi. Get her to question what's happening and who's responsible a bit more. Jump to conclusions a bit less.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Who What Now posted:

I've never agreed with a post on this forum more than I do this one.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Blackheart posted:

It's pretty obvious that Terezi's
was her just running with it (and using the chance to mess with John) because she doesn't really know most of what her doomed self intended, even if she can probably infer the general idea.
I agree. Terezi lost all her old pre-death information when John retconned. On the other hand, it's plausible that old Terezi's Seer powers let her know that John wouldn't follow her instructions exactly; for instance, writing the extra notes to her after the stuff he was supposed to be writing.

Who What Now posted:

"Everyone" meaning us, the readers, or the Alpha Kids? But yeah, Jake is the direct inverse of John. John is very aware of what people are thinking (see his awareness from the beginning that Dave did *not* like puppets and did *not* idolize Bro), and of what they need to hear. He doesn't just tell the truth, he tells the right truth at the right time. Contrariwise, Jake only thinks about himself and what he needs, and is completely oblivious to what might be going on in somebody else's head.

It just occurred to me that if he chose, John would actually make a pretty good therapist, unlike Rose, who has realized that she only spouted the terms.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Grapplejack posted:

Her setting up that blackrom is really hosed up and gross, and I feel bad for John for having to deal with it. :(

To be fair, it's kind of cute in a hosed up time travel retcon sort of way.

She knew she had a problematic relationship with Gamzee. He was an abusive poo poo who made her feel miserable. Her and Dave dating was also bad because, as we can see how close Dave and Karkat are, it probably drove a wedge between her and Karkat (and potentially Dave and Karkat as well). So she had no one to tell her "Yo, this horrible gross clown is really obnoxious" other than drunk-rear end Rose (and saving Vriska is just kind of a lucky break).

So she sets it up so that she has a blackrom with someone who isn't really CAPABLE of being the abusive shitheel that Gamzee was. John's a prankster at heart, and everyone doubts that he can actually legitimately HATE anyone to that degree. Dude is just the nicest guy. But he does get frustrated and annoyed with Terezi's stupid and pointless little sidequest. So she taunts and teases him, and voila. Three years later she's making spade eyes at John and she's in a HEALTHY Blackrom where they're both equals and tease/taunt each other rather than one of them belittling and attacking the other.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I predict that the way Rose will enhance her brand is to finally go on her effing Quest.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Classtoise posted:

To be fair, it's kind of cute in a hosed up time travel retcon sort of way.

She knew she had a problematic relationship with Gamzee. He was an abusive poo poo who made her feel miserable. Her and Dave dating was also bad because, as we can see how close Dave and Karkat are, it probably drove a wedge between her and Karkat (and potentially Dave and Karkat as well). So she had no one to tell her "Yo, this horrible gross clown is really obnoxious" other than drunk-rear end Rose (and saving Vriska is just kind of a lucky break).

So she sets it up so that she has a blackrom with someone who isn't really CAPABLE of being the abusive shitheel that Gamzee was. John's a prankster at heart, and everyone doubts that he can actually legitimately HATE anyone to that degree. Dude is just the nicest guy. But he does get frustrated and annoyed with Terezi's stupid and pointless little sidequest. So she taunts and teases him, and voila. Three years later she's making spade eyes at John and she's in a HEALTHY Blackrom where they're both equals and tease/taunt each other rather than one of them belittling and attacking the other.

Karkat said that a good black romance needs a solid foundation of respect; there needs to be parts of your rival you like. Terezi didn't have that with Gamzee, he's worthless clown trash. Letting him get under her skin made her feel degraded and it messed her up a lot, as we all know.

I think Terezi setting herself up with John was mainly to get her away from Gamzee. John presents a much better option, with a lot of admirable qualities - he's even got a lot of skill at the reading and handling people she so prides herself on, but in a different way that probably would be great for this kind of relationship. If she gets a crush on him she's less likely to get down with the clown. In that respect, I don't think it matters whether he returns the feeling, or even whether he can, which is still an open question.

Tl;dr - I don't think Terezi was trying to hook herself up so much as trying to just point herself in a different direction.
Tl;dr - I have too many opinions on cartoon alien romance. I have stared into the abyss, and the abyss has wonked back.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I predict that the way Rose will enhance her brand is to finally go on her effing Quest.

Flipping off that cutesy pastel bullshit is a quintessential part of Studio Rose though.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hear, hear.

Today is Roxy alone time. I'm predicting very little dialog.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Renaissance Robot posted:

Flipping off that cutesy pastel bullshit is a quintessential part of Studio Rose though.

I think that's part of the challenge. Like, here is an entire planet designed to piss you off, now hold your nose and knock back this sugar shocked candy quest.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
paradox space dictates that Rose must enhance her brand by cross-promoting with H&M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

Tl;dr - I have too many opinions on cartoon alien romance. I have stared into the abyss, and the abyss has wonked honked back.