Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
It's not like this is the first time Vlaada has made weird party games either - Bunny Bunny Moose Moose?

Vlaada does lots of weird stuff. Most of it is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It's not like this is the first time Vlaada has made weird party games either - Bunny Bunny Moose Moose?

Vlaada does lots of weird stuff. Most of it is good

It's true! That's A Question is his second not-great-party-game.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Ecklund rules, as does Cole Wehr or whatever his name is.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Azran posted:

Also that libertarian guy with the bizarre afterword at the end of his rulebooks. Ecklund?

Phil Eklund, friend of the people and foe of fiat money.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Tales of Woe posted:

Stefan Feld: confusing action selection mechanism + setting up one-shot combos instead of engine building

Alternate definition for Feld: King of Point Salad Games with Themes Pasted On.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
And then there is Michał Oracz who is basically the only name I knew off the top of my head outside of Steve Jackson (the adventure book cyoa rpg thing Steve Jackson).

I think, just based off of posts I've seen here and elsewhere, that Michał Oracz is defined more or less as "guy who makes cool games with really tight mechanics first and not worrying if the theme doesn't make perfect sense with the mechanics"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FirstAidKite posted:

(the adventure book cyoa rpg thing Steve Jackson)
This narrows it down less than you think, since Steve Jackson also wrote a few titles for the Steve Jackson series.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Richard Breese, master of hiding trackable information

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
We joke because we love.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Oh yeah and of course Rachel Simmons, designer of the best game ever made, Napoleon's Triumph

And our thread celebrity, Lorini, for being one of the designers of Advanced Civ :v:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Civ did anyone get to try the one at gencon this year

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This narrows it down less than you think, since Steve Jackson also wrote a few titles for the Steve Jackson series.

The one whose name is specifically on the games :P

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Sirlin: Literally photocopied a knockoff of a top game and people pay him for it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So I played a game of Summit co-op, and a competitive version too. Two players each time. The game really suffers from a wild imbalance in event cards drawn as you ascend the mountain - it's that old problem that Vlaada tried to warn the Archipelago designer about: some cards are good, some cards are bad, but all players draw from the same deck so one player can get good cards while others get completely hosed. It works better in co-op as a result.

Also it really needs an errata section, we had numerous questions about certain card interactions.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That was Robinson Crusoe, not Archipelago.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Man I really want to play Archipelago again, I wish it had a digital version, it's a pain to actually find people to play with in reals since it requires a very particular blend of "people who are willing to be dicks", "people who enjoy euro mechanics", and "people who are okay when a game can either go three hours or 40 minutes"

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Countblanc posted:

Man I really want to play Archipelago again, I wish it had a digital version, it's a pain to actually find people to play with in reals since it requires a very particular blend of "people who are willing to be dicks", "people who enjoy euro mechanics", and "people who are okay when a game can either go three hours or 40 minutes"

Don't forget "people who are willing to negotiate," which has been an issue in the Archipelago games I've played. Pfft like I'm just going to sac up Fish that I farmed with my action for free. I didn't cause the natives to revolt, everyone's inaction did!

I was also accused of sinking the game, which I guess is also technically true, but I knew I was in a losing position and holding the game hostage for ransom seemed sorta in the spirit of things. But nobody paid the ransom so tax tax tax everyone loses!

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

GrandpaPants posted:

I was also accused of sinking the game, which I guess is also technically true, but I knew I was in a losing position and holding the game hostage for ransom seemed sorta in the spirit of things. But nobody paid the ransom so tax tax tax everyone loses!

The point of the game is to win while not pushing everyone into obvious defeat. Why would I/you have to pay to save someone else's victory?

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Thread seems strangely relaxed about nTTA coming out on devices next month.

Me? I'm not relaxed. I'm excited for my future of being whooped by Vlaada's AI. Can't wait.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
If anyone had their hopes up, the Fallout Demo at the FFG booth didn't impress me. It's less Mage Knight/Magic Realm, more...well, every other generic fantasy game you can think of.

Like, stop me if you've heard this one before: You move your figure to a space. Maybe there's an enemy token, who you fight by rolling some dice and add a stat. Or you can go to a location, where you pull a generic encounter card and make a choice. One choice lets you roll some dice and add some stats for a chance at a reward. The other choice lets you roll some dice and add different stats for a chance at a slightly different reward! Maybe there's even a third choice, which lets you roll with an entirely different stat, for a chance at an even more slightly different reward!!! There's no way to interact with other players, except maybe occasionally ticking a little track in a direction that the other guy wants to tick in the other direction.

Basically if you want another piece of Fallout merch to shelve next to your Vault Boy Funko Pops while you play Fallout Shelter on the iPhone you've dedicated to your Official Special Edition Pip-Boy arm bangle, then this will be your game of the year.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Gutter Owl posted:

If anyone had their hopes up, the Fallout Demo at the FFG booth didn't impress me. It's less Mage Knight/Magic Realm, more...well, every other generic fantasy game you can think of.

Like, stop me if you've heard this one before: You move your figure to a space. Maybe there's an enemy token, who you fight by rolling some dice and add a stat. Or you can go to a location, where you pull a generic encounter card and make a choice. One choice lets you roll some dice and add some stats for a chance at a reward. The other choice lets you roll some dice and add different stats for a chance at a slightly different reward! Maybe there's even a third choice, which lets you roll with an entirely different stat, for a chance at an even more slightly different reward!!! There's no way to interact with other players, except maybe occasionally ticking a little track in a direction that the other guy wants to tick in the other direction.

Basically if you want another piece of Fallout merch to shelve next to your Vault Boy Funko Pops while you play Fallout Shelter on the iPhone you've dedicated to your Official Special Edition Pip-Boy arm bangle, then this will be your game of the year.

Sounds like a lot of things I dislike about Arkham Horror, Talisman, and Runebound. Pass.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

:negative:

Yeah, I didn't actually have high hopes for it though.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Toshimo posted:

Sirlin: Literally photocopied a knockoff of a top game and people pay him for it.

Okay I follow a lot of Sirlin stuff and I have no idea what you're talking about. I need to know.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Glagha posted:

Okay I follow a lot of Sirlin stuff and I have no idea what you're talking about. I need to know.

2010. Sirlin rather blatantly ripped off graphic design elements from Matt Heiselt's Chip Dominion fan project, and dropped them almost unchanged into Puzzle Strike without compensation.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Glagha posted:

Dominion - Puzzle Strike down the exact graphic design on the chips via a user made Dominion chip copy.

Yeah, FFG Fallout game was more Tales of the Arabian Nights than RPG adventure.

I've been trying to find the sci-fi Terra Mystica sequel Gaia Project all weekend. I saw a picture on twitter of it being demoed but can't find it anywhere in the vendor hall or the game demo room.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

What he said is an exaggeration, somewhat. Sirlin made Puzzle Strike, which uses deck building as derived from Dominion, although the way the game plays and the way you win is very different. He also wholesale took the graphic design from a fan conversion of Dominion that uses chips instead of cards. Which is pretty lovely.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Also Flash Duel is pretty much En Garde with character specific actions added.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

silvergoose posted:

Here's a primer

Vlaada Chvatil: god among designers
Reiner Knizia: a whole lot of MATH EXERCISES
Richard Garfield: designed magic
Uwe Rosenberg: Agricola and many other worker placements
I just thought about this, but wouldn't Knizia be the one to make an actual good zombie game (in a genre full of bad ones)? After all, it would deal with large populations and survival, which would be perfect for a math puzzle.

Glagha posted:

Puzzle Strike

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Oh fair enough. Didn't know about the ripping off graphic design bit with that game. I play a lot more puzzle strike than I do Dominion.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Baron Snow posted:

Also Flash Duel is pretty much En Garde with character specific actions added.

The play by mail, musketeer era multiplayer game?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I saw Codenames Duet at my FLGS yesterday, and gave it a shot. I don't remember who said it (Tekopo?), but I agree that this is the definitive version of the game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

unpronounceable posted:

I saw Codenames Duet at my FLGS yesterday, and gave it a shot. I don't remember who said it (Tekopo?), but I agree that this is the definitive version of the game.
Yep. Honestly can't imagine playing regular codenames after playing it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fat Samurai posted:

The play by mail, musketeer era multiplayer game?

No, the (IIRC) card-based two player duelling game.

Second time someone's brought up En Garde! The RPG this week though. I really might have to pick up the moderation software again.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
As far as the good designer talk is going, Emerson Matsuuchi is relatively new on the scene but has made some darn solid games, like Century: Spice Road (which I haven't played yet, but it seems nice yet I won't buy it because I'm afraid I won't be able to get Concordia played if I do) and Specter Ops (which is hard to get out with my group, but it is solid). Also, he's a super nice dude. I met him when he was still selling the underrated VOLT: Robot Battle Arena at PAX a while back. Also, apparently that's getting reprinted?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

I just thought about this, but wouldn't Knizia be the one to make an actual good zombie game (in a genre full of bad ones)? After all, it would deal with large populations and survival, which would be perfect for a math puzzle.

Puzzle Strike

The only good zombie game so far is mall of horror.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
My friend picked up Magic Maze at GenCon, excited to try it sometime soon.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Gutter Owl posted:

drat, that's a shame.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Tekopo posted:

Yep. Honestly can't imagine playing regular codenames after playing it.

Is Duet better for 2P than base? I'll have to pick it up if so.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

OmegaGoo posted:

Is Duet better for 2P than base? I'll have to pick it up if so.
It's pretty much designed to be a 2p game but can be played in teams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
My Gencon recap: wasn't really crazy about any of the new big games. I had a shopping list of mostly old games (couldn't find Dominant Species :(). Spent most of the weekend playing games and drinking with goons like every year, and that's always the best choice. Played 3 games of 4 player Feast for Odin which was the highlight for me. Also spent a lot of time watching the auction and enjoying our own Quarex's hijinx there. There was a pretty amazing moment when a set of meteorite die went for $3000 and the winner immediately gave them to the auctioneer FrankMentzer. They also raised a poo poo ton of money for charity last night, including $3500 to knock down the card castles with Cards Against Humanity matching up to another $1000 when people started throwing the coins. Probably ended up close to $6000 for that alone.

Played a beginner game of Terraforming Mars with 5 players. 2 players had great draws and got a good engine going and really liked the game, 1 person hated the game and dropped on the 4th round, and the other two of us drew poo poo and did nothing. That's Terraforming Mars. By the 6th round, all other players had gotten cheap city tile cards and started building out their board presence whereas I drew nothing but expensive or useless crap, putting me in a huge disadvantage purely by RNG. In fairness, the beginner version of the game is a horrible introduction to the game and the starting corporation identities and drafting variants add a lot of player agency and take away a lot of the giant deck of random cards determining if you get to do anything or not problem.

Clank in Space is a good upgrade from the vanilla version. The variable setup of the map actually goes a long way to making me like the game more. It's still a simple game, but a great alternative for my friends that are really into Star Realms.

Speaking of, Hero Realms with the class specific starter decks is a hilariously broken mess. Played a few rounds and it was easy to end the game in 4-5 turns with good draws. I guess that's fine if you like really quick deckbuilders but at least Star Realms gave you a while to get an engine going before blasting people for 30 damage a turn. Rogue is seemingly the most broken, starting with a lot more money resource in his deck (in a market row deckbuilder) and the ability to steal a card from the opponent's discard pile. Yeah.

Rising Sun was good, definitely better than Blood Rage but like New Angeles it could fall apart if people don't buy into the politics and negotiation stuff. With a good group it will be fantastic though. Similar to Blood Rage, I imagine all the Kickstarter expansion crap won't add anything of value to the game so it'll be a good retail purchase if your group likes that type of thing.

The Cool Mini or Not A Song of Ice and Fire miniatures game is boring poo poo that looks great.

Star Wars Legion is a pretty neat system and a big gently caress you from FFG to GW. It's going to make them so much drat money, especially if they start doing the terrain stuff.

FFG also claims the Imperial Assault app is "still coming, we promise", but two years is a suspicious amount of time for an app they already have the base code for from Descent. I'm pretty sure it's still in licensing limbo because EA has the app licenses and doesn't want to share.

Legend of the 5 Rings is a really good card game with some of the best art ever. It's a mashup of Game of Thrones and Warhammer Conquest with a ton of flavor and some clever mechanics. They're doing some really interesting things with the community driven aspects and competitive play, really feels like the first "living" card game that goes beyond just the distribution methods.

I didn't get to try the new Civ game yet, but it's on my list this afternoon.

Caverna: Cave vs Cave is a great little two player puzzler. As mentioned a few pages back, it's pretty dry but plays fast and the variable setup from the tiles adds a good bit of replay value. A great addition to our two player lineup.

Secrets is a great social deduction game that combines The Resistance with a reverse Love Letter mechanic. It plays quickly and has a lot of turn to turn strategy and meaningful choices. I'm so over Avalon and Resistance and this is a worthy successor. The main downfall though is that you can get team switched at the last turn, thereby wasting your entire game and work you put into scoring points for your team or hurting enemies. Worst of all, you have no idea if or when your team gets switched. Mechanically that encourages people to discuss information they have and try to work out who's who which you can still do, and the game plays quickly enough that an annoying last second team switch that causes you to be on the losing team isn't too frustrating. The core gameplay mechanic of offering another player 1 of 2 cards (they know the two you have, but you can lie about what you're giving them) is engaging enough to put this at the top of social deductions for me for now.

Arboretum reprint didn't make it in time for this weekend, but the rep said it should be in stores by the end of the month.

I drooled over the Wyrmwood Tak sets, a cool $700 for a gorgeous board and pieces made from exotic woods. The head of the company is a smug rear end in a top hat though.

I also bought The Colonists and holy poo poo, I need some plano recommendations.

Saw Tom Vasel and he had a visible layer of grease on his dumb manbaby face.

Now I'm off to hunt people awkwardly sleeping in the halls beside giant stacks of games so I can take embarrassing photos.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 20, 2017