Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'd recommend trying to queue them the day of reset because you'll have more people wanting it Tails and to get the Oil. I'd imagine the first number tapers down over the week. (Maybe spikes on Monday because people realise they need to get it done?)

Did that tower climb sunday thing reddit organized fade away when people needed to do it again for the oils?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Thundarr posted:

ST and WoD have actually had pretty decent queue times lately, at least in Aether. LotA queue is still a crapshoot though.

ST is popping great on Excal lately, a lot better than it used too. It's also really easy if not a bit long even when everyone's melting poo poo, but it'll work.

E: Not gonna lie, reading up on the mechanics of WoD has made me reticent to jump in, but I need that glamor set.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Verranicus posted:

What's the point of even playing if you skip 2/3 of the games content, holy poo poo.

While I generally agree for FFXIV no one wants to be the guy who gets invited to play the game for the first time next expansion by friends and not get to do they content they want to do for a month or more, when the hype is gone and their friends stop playing regularly.

Edit: I say this because I've been there. :smith:

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 26, 2017

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

A. Beaverhausen posted:

ST is popping great on Excal lately, a lot better than it used too. It's also really easy if not a bit long even when everyone's melting poo poo, but it'll work.

E: Not gonna lie, reading up on the mechanics of WoD has made me reticent to jump in, but I need that glamor set.

Wod mechanics are much easier than they look. Things like cerberus look more difficult than they are because you don't have to do everything yourself, and on that hydra thing I forget the name of the only mechanic that matters is single targeting a head down instead of trying to aoe them all down at once.

Verranicus posted:

What's the point of even playing if you skip 2/3 of the games content, holy poo poo.

For the same reason no one wants to play dota 2 practice games by themselves forever except for that one dude. Multiplayer games are made to be played with friends.

This poo poo was already tried out and very successful in the asian versions of FFXIV, so sorry, but you're flat out wrong about it. Have a nice day, though!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I got into LotA at midnight on a weekday, it's actually not bad. Still fun.

Bone Dragon was tanked in the center and we nearly wiped to skeletons. :)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SettingSun posted:

While I generally agree for FFXIV no one wants to be the guy who gets invited to play the game for the first time next expansion by friends and not get to do they content they want to do for a month or more, when the hype is gone and their friends stop playing regularly.

Edit: I say this because I've been there. :smith:

I've been there. THANKS TO MY SO-CALLED FRIENDS FOR LEAVING ME ALL ALONE ON STEAMWHEEDLE CARTEL WHILE YOU LOT hosed OFF AND PLAYED OTHER poo poo, YOU ASSHOLES.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Biggest problem I ever see with bone dragon is him just immediately dying and then we all die because people aren't expecting to need to throttle that hard.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

True, but thanks to the wonders of things like level sync, you can still play anything together with friends, unless you're insistent on doing stuff when it's new to the friends too. And even if you can't do that with the initial 4.0 rush, by the time 4.1 rolls around you'll have caught up.

Meanwhile, regardless of timing, you can do stuff with friends when it's new to you, which includes every last bit of 2.x and 3.x content.

This isn't like WoW where you basically just outlevel content and only have the "unsync" option after that.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Having a friend start this game right now rather than after they presumably fix the MSQ in 4.0 is really cruel. The gating and lack of catch-up mechanisms for MSQ content is really bad right now.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's nothing wrong with tanking the labyrinth dragon in the center, people doing the fights wrong is the issue. It's slightly more of an issue now, but regardless of whether you put the dragon far north or in the middle, if people don't realise they need to kill skellies, you're going to wipe either way.

nuru posted:

Having a friend start this game right now rather than after they presumably fix the MSQ in 4.0 is really cruel. The gating and lack of catch-up mechanisms for MSQ content is really bad right now.

They're not "fixing" the MSQ in 4.0, but they have confirmed you need to have finished 3.5 in its entirety to play Stormblood. Yoshida has said that skip potions are being worked on to work with 4.0 but that those potions definitely will not be released before 4.0 and he also said that while Legion came with a skip potion, there's no familiarity with them in XIV so they're not currently planning on giving one for free.

Telling people to wait and then likely cough up for the skip potion, which I can't imagine will be super cheap, is also kinda cruel

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 26, 2017

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

They had said around 3.3 that a parry overhaul was coming in HW changing it to be a determination like stat but then i never saw anything else about it.

They never said or hinted at what they're going to actually do with parry. The last thing they said (at NA fanfest) was that both accuracy and parry are going to either be removed or have a huge overhaul for 4.0

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
never not tank bone dragon in the center :colbert:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

In fairness on Aether where the Bone Zone has always been recognized as the correct way to handle bone dragon, you still will get 2-3 platinals exploding together every time because only some of the OTs care about mechanics and most of the DPS just try to burn. It still works out, it's just:sloppy:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Kuvo posted:

never not tank bone dragon in the center :colbert:

I've never seen it done anywhere but north. I feel like I'm missing out.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

As a melee dps, I prefer center tanking because it means I can attack the skellies without standing in poison

It's almost like the fight was designed for that

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thundarr posted:

In fairness on Aether where the Bone Zone has always been recognized as the correct way to handle bone dragon, you still will get 2-3 platinals exploding together every time because only some of the OTs care about mechanics and most of the DPS just try to burn. It still works out, it's just:sloppy:

The correct way to tank bone dragon is to blitz it down while your healers put up shields and regens and then medica spam through the platinal explosions while the other parties get obliterated, and then finish the fight while the dead people are typing angry words.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

As a melee dps, I prefer center tanking because it means I can attack the skellies without standing in poison

It's almost like the fight was designed for that

The fight's designed to have the skeletons pulled out to the spokes while the dragon's tanked in the center, but given that it's a stupid-rear end design, the player base has chosen to ignore it. In both the proper and OMG Fail scenarios, Bone Dragon north is easier and safer and the low low cost of a few sad Monks and Dragoons.

Also see-First Demiurge's Infusion in Sophia EX. I have never, ever seen that mechanic actually executed correctly. I've seen it ATTEMPTED, but never actually done.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I honestly don't get a lot of people's spewing hatred for the jump potion concept. Like yeah sure I'm sad that these people will be missing out on story stuff and such but how someone else plays the game has zero bearing on my enjoyment. People being mad are just being grumpy and bitter about other people getting to skip a huge time investment that they didn't. "In my day I had to walk 15 miles through the snow and so should you" is a lame reason to be mad about something in a video game.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's still amazing how bad people are at this game. Joined a Sophia Ex farm party to kill time and save up for the bird. Group was 250-260 average, and we still got phase one tankbusters.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I honestly don't get a lot of people's spewing hatred for the jump potion concept. Like yeah sure I'm sad that these people will be missing out on story stuff and such but how someone else plays the game has zero bearing on my enjoyment. People being mad are just being grumpy and bitter about other people getting to skip a huge time investment that they didn't. "In my day I had to walk 15 miles through the snow and so should you" is a lame reason to be mad about something in a video game.

The token response usually boils down to "because it puts bads into the content I'm running." Because it's not like bads don't already get there the old-fashioned way.

To be fair, it's a bigger shame for FFXIV then most because of how integral the running plot is to everything. Jump Potion's gonna dump people into some poo poo and they're gonna be like "What?" But if people wanna pay cash for the privilege of missing out on everything that's come before who am I to say no? Especially if they have a reason like wanting to catch up with friends or something.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

There's nothing wrong with tanking the labyrinth dragon in the center, people doing the fights wrong is the issue. It's slightly more of an issue now, but regardless of whether you put the dragon far north or in the middle, if people don't realise they need to kill skellies, you're going to wipe either way.

They're not "fixing" the MSQ in 4.0, but they have confirmed you need to have finished 3.5 in its entirety to play Stormblood. Yoshida has said that skip potions are being worked on to work with 4.0 but that those potions definitely will not be released before 4.0 and he also said that while Legion came with a skip potion, there's no familiarity with them in XIV so they're not currently planning on giving one for free.

Telling people to wait and then likely cough up for the skip potion, which I can't imagine will be super cheap, is also kinda cruel

I was not advocating some sort of skip potion because I didn't know that was their idea, it's a garbage solution. I was hoping their intention was to take the MSQ and cleave out all the worthless chaff quests so people aren't hopelessly trudging through 2.0 through 3.5 forever before they're allowed to do anything interesting. The reason potions like that worked in WoW is that they generally render their past narratives irrelevant every time they release new content, whereas XIV builds off of it. A friend of mine tried to get into this game in the last couple months but the MSQ itself is fairly isolating and tedious, and they barely made it into HW until they were just tired of doing chores before they could properly do present content and normal activities with friends. They quit instead.

nuru fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 26, 2017

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Vil posted:

True, but thanks to the wonders of things like level sync, you can still play anything together with friends, unless you're insistent on doing stuff when it's new to the friends too. And even if you can't do that with the initial 4.0 rush, by the time 4.1 rolls around you'll have caught up.

Meanwhile, regardless of timing, you can do stuff with friends when it's new to you, which includes every last bit of 2.x and 3.x content.

This isn't like WoW where you basically just outlevel content and only have the "unsync" option after that.

The argument of "but sync!!!" goes both ways, and it's better to have the option to let a player skip the MSQ to play the new content with their friends, then go back and do the other stuff either with friends or on their own because the "dead" content in this game is mainly just things that you can do whenever, so it shouldn't ever be a pressing thing to have to rush through it.

It'll also make people much happier while they're doing it because they aren't missing out on the limited period of time when everyone is doing the same thing, which is a real thing that MMO players tend to enjoy a lot. Telling someone they have to do their chores before they can play the game with their friends is lovely as gently caress, and even with the skip potion the content is still there if you want to do it later, iirc.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
There's, as I understand it, two skip potions- one's a level up skip potion that sets you to level 50 in one job and level 15 in any class required to get the job stone. And also story skip potion that autocompletes the MSQ. (No idea if it ads cutscenes to the inn, but I'd assume so.) If you get the first one but not the other, you can just do the story content and level sync down if necessary, while also skipping the side story stuff, which seems like an okay compromise except not knowing how to play your suddenly level 50 dude.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

YoshiOfYellow posted:

People have posted plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike the idea of paid story/leveling skips. If you want to ignore those and say that anyone who disagrees with you is spewing hatred, that's your own problem.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Klades posted:

They never said or hinted at what they're going to actually do with parry. The last thing they said (at NA fanfest) was that both accuracy and parry are going to either be removed or have a huge overhaul for 4.0

Yeah they did but this was way before fanfest. It was early in the HW patch cycle. I'm pretty sure they were talking about implementing it in 3.3 but it got scrapped.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Having it skip the story to get you to Heavensward, but leave it fully doable at a later date is the right answer. In essence, it's just setting you to level 50 but ticking the flags to let you access content.

Give you 50/15 for the job you want, full ironworks then get to work.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I'm not saying they shouldn't add jump potions, because it's obviously a sound business decision, and a lot of people want them. They will increase the amount of incredibly bad players in duty finder, which will be annoying, but I can deal with that.

However, you're a pretty big sucker if you pay extra money so you don't have to play the game you paid for.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
"Hey friend, let's play a game! Oh you'll just have to buy this game and the latest expansion and two 20 buck items so we can play content that is fresh for 1 month together and then grind weekly tokens to upgrade gear and pay a subscripti- hey where are you going come back..."

is kind of a tough sell imo

But you know someone will buy it. Probably not to the tune of 24% of player base like in China/Korea did but someone will think that's a great deal. If someone does it's no problem to me but lmao mmorpg players

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
So after a vacation away from the game, I'm trying to get back into it, and kind of wanted to try playing with the gamepad (a DS4 on a PS4). Any tips to gamepad play? I've been playing a bit basically with practicing on a dummy, but the menu interface is a little insane.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Verranicus posted:

Can you really call walking around and talking to people content? There's plenty of content at end game for them to do WITH THEIR FRIENDS.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

chinese barbecue porp posted:

"Hey friend, let's play a game! Oh you'll just have to buy this game and the latest expansion and two 20 buck items so we can play content that is fresh for 1 month together and then grind weekly tokens to upgrade gear and pay a subscripti- hey where are you going come back..."

But you know someone will buy it. Probably not to the tune of 24% of player base like in China/Korea did but someone will think that's a great deal. If someone does it's no problem to me but lmao mmorpg players

If somebody chooses to pay extra to skip to the end and then jumps right in to the end game grind without ever bothering to go back to the hundreds of hours worth of older content that they have paid for and not seen, that is kind of their own problem.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

chinese barbecue porp posted:

If someone is looking for an MMO to play, those things that are a "hard sell" are things that are intrinsically part of MMOs.

Fister Roboto posted:

People have posted plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike the idea of paid story/leveling skips. If you want to ignore those and say that anyone who disagrees with you is spewing hatred, that's your own problem.

I still haven't seen a legitimate reason explained, would you be so kind? Because you are quite literally wrong about it according to actual sales numbers, so I'm curious what you think the legitimate reason is.

And if your reason is "because players will be bad" then fuckin lol, do you even play with pubs? This is the game with "honest" healers and tanks, how can you even argue it with a straight face?

Thundarr posted:

If somebody chooses to pay extra to skip to the end and then jumps right in to the end game grind without ever bothering to go back to the hundreds of hours worth of older content that they have paid for and not seen, that is kind of their own problem.

I feel like what people would want is to get caught up, play with friends when new content comes out, and then go back and do old content at their leisure.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Whats an honest healer or tank? Something I missed apparently. Is it a name made up by reddit for healers and tanks who only do tanking and healing and don't try to do dps as well?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

If someone is looking for an MMO to play, those things that are a "hard sell" are things that are intrinsically part of MMOs

Except not at all since the biggest MMO and still the genre definer has had jump potions and similar mechanics for their new expansions and also have had expansions that completely nuked old poo poo to have a new starting point.

What I'm saying is anyone that wants to pay extra and skip to the start of a new expansion is cool and good and even MMO players want to be closer to the new hotness.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

seiferguy posted:

So after a vacation away from the game, I'm trying to get back into it, and kind of wanted to try playing with the gamepad (a DS4 on a PS4). Any tips to gamepad play? I've been playing a bit basically with practicing on a dummy, but the menu interface is a little insane.

I've only ever played this game with a controller. Here's my advice:

Swap L2 and R2 with L1 and R1 in the button config. On a dualshock, L1 and R1 are much more convenient to hit and you'll be pressing them every single time you do an attack.
Make sure to use the expanded cross hotbars (L+R and R+L) and W cross hotbars (double tap L or R). I send R+L and L+R to the same place to avoid the problem where transitioning from L to R+L takes a noticeable amount of time. With the addition of W cross hotbars, you should have enough to do anything other than PvP on all classes while keeping those the same.
It's safe to put GCDs into the expanded cross hotbar. Putting cooldowns there is usually a bad idea.
The W cross hotbar should only have buttons you don't press super often.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's a multiplayer game. It seems reasonable that people joining the game will want to experience content with their friends and the majority of the community. I don't have to play L4D1 for 30 hours before I can join in with L4D2, and I don't have to go through the entire Warcraft series to play Hearthstone with people. Meanwhile I could drop $10 or whatever and be almost ready to play current material in WoW. If I was starting fresh and had friends on both sides, one of those choices seems a lot more convenient.

Half the people I know just mash through text and ESC the cutscenes anyways. They play the game fine with minimal involvement in the story. Shocking, I know, but the combat and encounter design alone are enough to bring in a lot of MMO players.

Either way I'd really, really like some sort of "proving grounds" type thing that will force people to at least learn the basics, but there's no way I'm going to pretend the average player is all that good anyways. And ideally it would have poo poo like healing/damage checks, to cut down on the honest healers.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

Whats an honest healer or tank? Something I missed apparently. Is it a name made up by reddit for healers and tanks who only do tanking and healing and don't try to do dps as well?

Yeah. People who look at cleric stance and go "lol why would I ever use this" in between casting cure II every ten seconds.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

I seem to recall reading that this isn't especially uncommon when it comes to 5 ilvl increases, because the weapon damage increase is only +1 so having a significant amount of optimal stats when the 5ilvl increase weapon doesn't have them makes up for it.

This rings harder if you're a Bard or Machinst, thanks to the inherent lower weapon damage of Bows and Guns and the weird break points they cause. The mid-cycle primal/other content weapons have not had higher WD than the unupgraded tomestone/previous tier relic weapons since Thordan Extreme.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

If someone is looking for an MMO to play, those things that are a "hard sell" are things that are intrinsically part of MMOs.

Then why skip any of it? It's still good MMO content, just not the fresh stuff. I'm just highlighting the fact if someone new is simply looking into playing a game with their buds paying a sum close to a hundo just to catch up is a pretty steep price compared tp the entry price which still allows you to play with friends.

But let's be honest: majority of those prospect mmorpger friends will not keep playing which is why this thread recommends rolling with goons who actually do. Who are more than happy to run the old content regardless.

Thundarr posted:

Yup. And I don't see it really affecting my game whatsoever so ehh.

jyrque fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

seiferguy posted:

This game is tailor made for a gamepad. You kinda just have to get used to the menus. Basically, enable the full crossbar and you'll have the full suite of button at your fingertips. With a bit of practice at remembering which skill is on which bar you'll do great. I'm so used to using a controller that playing on the PC makes me notably worse at the game.

Edit: Or basically what Cheetah said. Play with the options and find what's comfortable for you.

• Locked thread