Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

as someone who spent a better part of the week slowly painting primaris BA, daaaaaaaang.

That said those being assault marines put me in the mind of whether they did the helmet color thing during the Heresy and apparently its been a debate for a while. :shrug:

The helmet thing came in with the codex astartes thanks to the Ultramarines implementing the system after changing their own red helmet system from denoting shame to honour at Calth v the Word Bearers.

E: this is my understanding anyway and the way my 30k nerd friends do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Less honor and more "this isn't censure anymore after a dude who was censured for running sims of Astartes v Astartes turned out not to be that nuts"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

evol262 posted:

Less honor and more "this isn't censure anymore after a dude who was censured for running sims of Astartes v Astartes turned out not to be that nuts"

Well they give it to the brightest marines who lead the rest, so I'd say they honoured his tactical acumen.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
The best part about 30k is that Alan Bligh was clever and went out of his way to say that so much has been lost or misremembered you can run nearly any kind of concept for your dudes and it'll fit. Maybe your BA chapter got caught up in a warzone one time with incredibly unreliable vox and started painting helmets different colours for communication and it turned into a tradition.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So I was experimenting with my skin tones and painted five different hues.
Left to right:

Darker toned Asian
darker blue toned black skin
East Asian paler skin
Warmer black skin
Generic GW style spaceBrit

I ended up with two Italian dudes, two black guys and someone who looks like his liver has failed. Nothing wrong with Italians, just not what I was gunning for. Clearly just looking at a photo and winging it is not working. I'm not blaming my results on the sculpts, mind, but good god are these sculpts not fantastic.

I'm not really satisfied, but they're good enough I don't want to futz around with them much more, I'll probably look for more developed tutorials for the next batch.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm not blaming my results on the sculpts, mind, but good god are these sculpts not fantastic.

The scout sculpt has few fans, and the heads in particular are a frequent target of derision. Someone itt dropped scion heads onto scout bodies and the results were pretty good.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Genestealer Cult stolen Taurox coming together!

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Clawtopsy posted:

Genestealer Cult stolen Taurox coming together!

Nice. Makes me think of metal slug, for whatever reason.
Also, I really like the colour on that cultist :)

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

This looks great and the round size difference isn’t gonna read at all on tabletop. Especially if you’re not, like, highlighting every fifth one as a tracer or whatever.

Oh god yeah, that and the original metal IG sentinels, which absolutely could not stand without a base and would constantly fall over/break at ball-socket ankle unless you pinned them. Which is a thing I didnt really know about as a kid and my sentinels were always chillin with a crackly mound of crazy glue on their feet.

These fuckers:

I just picked up four of those old bastards. I'll be honest, I'm not looking forward to building them, but having squads of all the different generations is appealing.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Irate Tree posted:

Nice. Makes me think of metal slug, for whatever reason.
Also, I really like the colour on that cultist :)

Metal slug is right on I think, I like it. Looks like a weird space tractor, which is perfect for a cult vehicle.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

X-posting a space marine what I gone and done

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
So I just played a huge 4500 point AdMech against Ork game. I'll post pictures, but my friend conceded after turn 3 because he couldn't see any scenario where he'd be able to take out my Warhound. I argued he could probably have held the objectives to turn 5 but I still had the majority of my army since he threw everything into the Warhound and barely took half its wounds off. His Stompa died from a single volly from the turbo laser and the flamer melted anything that came anywhere near it.

I don't want to bring it against Orks if it's not fun for the opponent, as realistically how can he take it down? They just don't have the shooting units required. Is the answer just to keep throwing 30 man units at it? The flamer has a theoretical 24 shots and it can just step out of combat and shoot again. Is it just too overpowered against Orks? I'd like to use it again, but don't want to be unsportsmanlike.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Lizard Combatant posted:

So I just played a huge 4500 point AdMech against Ork game. I'll post pictures, but my friend conceded after turn 3 because he couldn't see any scenario where he'd be able to take out my Warhound. I argued he could probably have held the objectives to turn 5 but I still had the majority of my army since he threw everything into the Warhound and barely took half its wounds off. His Stompa died from a single volly from the turbo laser and the flamer melted anything that came anywhere near it.

I don't want to bring it against Orks if it's not fun for the opponent, as realistically how can he take it down? They just don't have the shooting units required. Is the answer just to keep throwing 30 man units at it? The flamer has a theoretical 24 shots and it can just step out of combat and shoot again. Is it just too overpowered against Orks? I'd like to use it again, but don't want to be unsportsmanlike.

3x Kill Tanks with Bursta Kannons. Fills out a super heavy detachment so they get clan cultures and the like, Bursta Kannons are Heavy 2d6 S10 Ap-4 D2. Or if he wants to match the points cost of your Titan, he can run 5. They hit on 4's to make up one of the best shooting units for Orks, too. It basically requires him going first since otherwise you can just target them and murder them turn 1 (they only have 24 wounds each and a 4+ armor save) but if he can get them off and gets some decent rolls he may take a bracket off you. They're also not Titanic type so they don't take double damage from Macro weapons.

(If he seriously wants to do this, tell him to get a 1:35 scale Sturmtiger tank model. I bought one for $40 and with some orkification it looks close to the FW model)

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

The Jumpoff posted:

3x Kill Tanks with Bursta Kannons. Fills out a super heavy detachment so they get clan cultures and the like, Bursta Kannons are Heavy 2d6 S10 Ap-4 D2. Or if he wants to match the points cost of your Titan, he can run 5. They hit on 4's to make up one of the best shooting units for Orks, too. It basically requires him going first since otherwise you can just target them and murder them turn 1 (they only have 24 wounds each and a 4+ armor save) but if he can get them off and gets some decent rolls he may take a bracket off you. They're also not Titanic type so they don't take double damage from Macro weapons.

(If he seriously wants to do this, tell him to get a 1:35 scale Sturmtiger tank model. I bought one for $40 and with some orkification it looks close to the FW model)

That's not a bad idea, the Sturm looks quite close and he's already scratchbuilt a battlewagon, dakkajet and a squiggoth to a ridiculously good standard.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Lizard Combatant posted:

That's not a bad idea, the Sturm looks quite close and he's already scratchbuilt a battlewagon, dakkajet and a squiggoth to a ridiculously good standard.

Do you have any photo's of those? I love looking at scratch-built ork stuff.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

The Jumpoff posted:

Just big full table shots, I'll get proper photos next time. Things like the warboss I'd never have guessed were 80% greenstuff.

Partly why I felt so bad, so many lovingly crafted models absolutely slagged by a big flame hose.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 7, 2019

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
And that's the chaos wave done for now. With surprise appearance by stand-alone Obsidius Mallex Chaos Lord With Thunder Hammer and Plasma Pistol.

Maybe we can start getting a buildup to the Vanguard release over the next week. Need to know the other gear options for those Infiltrators so I can start planning kitbashes on my Shadowspear guys.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Finally finished two characters for my growing Blood Ravens company: an unnamed Terminator Librarian and the man himself, Dawn of War II-era Gabriel Angelos.

I'm quite happy with the back of Angelos' cloak, so I think I'll be adding a few more splashes of green on various Captains and Lieutenants in future.

The librarian is just okay; I found it quite difficult to maintain clean lines and highlights on the much older model.

A few more photos in this link:

https://imgur.com/a/JwCa78C

On to my first two Suppressors from Shadowspear.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Stephenls posted:

And that's the chaos wave done for now. With surprise appearance by stand-alone Obsidius Mallex Chaos Lord With Thunder Hammer and Plasma Pistol.

Maybe we can start getting a buildup to the Vanguard release over the next week. Need to know the other gear options for those Infiltrators so I can start planning kitbashes on my Shadowspear guys.

I wouldn't hold your breath for multi-part Vanguard just yet, they weren't previewed at Adepticon. Personally I think we'll see Slaanesh in May, Apocalypse in June, then a Vanguard release towards the end of summer.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

xtothez posted:

I wouldn't hold your breath for multi-part Vanguard just yet, they weren't previewed at Adepticon. Personally I think we'll see Slaanesh in May, Apocalypse in June, then a Vanguard release towards the end of summer.

Yeah, probably. They'll undoubtedly tie the multi-part Vanguard in with another one of those war zone books they said they'd be doing now, as a way to publish datasheets for them. And they won't be doing another one of those without some buildup.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
It's too bad the old Dark Apostle is finecast, the new one's no way near as good.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
That's patently false. The old one's book is neither burning nor bleeding.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Putting together a DG list after not playing a proper game since 5th edition. Going for a mechanized list, how does this look?

1742/2000pts. Detachments are a little confusing, still working on that.

Nurgle flying DP
Malignant Plaguecaster
Foul Blightspawn
7x Plague Marines
7x Plague Marines
2x Deredeo
1x Leviathan
2x Plagueburst Crawler
1x Xiphon Interceptor

goodness fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 7, 2019

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

goodness posted:

Putting together a DG list after not playing a proper game since 5th edition. Going for a mechanized list, how does this look?

1742/2000pts. Detachments are a little confusing, still working on that.

Nurgle flying DP
Malignant Plaguecaster
Foul Blightspawn
7x Plague Marines
7x Plague Marines
2x Deredeo
1x Leviathan
2x Plagueburst Crawler
1x Xiphon Interceptor

That list isn't perfectly competitive or anything but it'll shred, especially if you're taking butcher cannons on the FW stuff. What's your strength 8 anti tank stuff?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Played 2k points today, vs Space Wolves again.

Went double battalion Imperial Fists and Deathwatch, played Hold Your Gains from Vigilus. Fantastic game, one of the best I've played in 8th.

Tons of swings, the original 1/3 of my army that deployed in the 9" diameter circle died fairly early, but their stand was respectable, with help from the Siegebreaker warlord ability. The reserves poured in fast, mostly on Turn 2, which was nice. My Vindicator actually did damage, (on Overwatch, of course) and my Vindicare killed 3 characters.

Absolutely nasty unit. Headshot is so good, and getting back CP is such a nice bonus.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A part of me is really worried that they're not going to release Eliminator multi Parts before Nova. The list I have prepared needs two squads and I'm not buying another loving box of shadowspear.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

A part of me is really worried that they're not going to release Eliminator multi Parts before Nova. The list I have prepared needs two squads and I'm not buying another loving box of shadowspear.

You could probably get the unit from eBay at some point, I'd imagine people are breaking the box out

30-40 bucks on a quick search just now

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

TheBigAristotle posted:

You could probably get the unit from eBay at some point, I'd imagine people are breaking the box out

30-40 bucks on a quick search just now

Sure, but they're already a duplicate pose in a 3-man unit, I know I don't want to buy another until I can get it with another pose.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Harvey Mantaco posted:

What's your strength 8 anti tank stuff?

Butcher cannons on the 3 Dreads, I'll have to see if that is enough.

goodness fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 8, 2019

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

Sure, but they're already a duplicate pose in a 3-man unit, I know I don't want to buy another until I can get it with another pose.

This is my thought process.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but if it comes down to it, and you really want em

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

ToyotaThong posted:

I just picked up four of those old bastards. I'll be honest, I'm not looking forward to building them, but having squads of all the different generations is appealing.

Oh man please post these when theyre done! I loooove to see old models with modern paints/techniques applied. (I reallllly personally disliked the 2nd gen sentinels and skipped them entirely.)

Next time Im back in NOVA Im gonna try and rescue all my old RT/SpaceFleet/SpaceCrusade/AdeptusTitanicus stuff from my parents basement.

There’s an Imperial Guard jetbike I am 99% sure is still there and I’m dying to strip it and update it as... something. Maybe track down a few more and use them as rough riders, but with FW Solar Aux riders. Which now that Ive said it I realize the legs are gonna be an issue. Do Tempestus Scions have a mounted model?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

My friend has talked me into trying 40k and I've been a fan of the Guard ever since reading First & Only and Ciaphas Cain years ago. About what portion of my points should be Guardsmen (vs. Leman Russ, Heavy/Special Weapon Teams, maybe Sentinels, maybe Taurox)? Like, what's the point where I can say "Okay, that's enough Guardsmen"

Why would I take one squad of 20-30 conscripts as opposed to 2-3 squads of 10 guardsmen, given that both are 4 points per model?
Is a Leman Russ Punisher w/ meltaguns as facefuckingly lethal as it looks like it'd be?
1d4chan tells me the Leman Russ Vanquisher is actually pretty bad. Is this true?
Where can I get my hands on a Tauros Venator? 15" Movement and twin-linked lascannons seems like it'd be hilarious to deploy.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 8, 2019

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Radio Free Kobold posted:

My friend has talked me into trying 40k and I've been a fan of the Guard ever since reading First & Only and Ciaphas Cain years ago. About what portion of my points should be Guardsmen (vs. Leman Russ, Heavy/Special Weapon Teams, maybe Sentinels, maybe Taurox)? Like, what's the point where I can say "Okay, that's enough Guardsmen"

Where can I get my hands on a Tauros Venator? 15" Movement and twin-linked lascannons seems like it'd be hilarious to deploy.

Most pure Guard armies are made up of at least one Brigade or two Battalions, both of which start with needing a total of six Guard squads (60 guardsmen; 300 points), plus officers to order them (Company Commander for HQ, Platoon Commander in the very crowded Elite slot). I haven't seen a triple Battalion in a while, but it would be 90/450.

EDIT: the best Leman Russes are honestly Catachan or Cadian Russes with Battle Cannons that are otherwise as cheap as they can be. Punishers are good for Tank Commanders to clear chaff, and the plasma cannon is also decent with Tank Commanders, but the rest are either situational or bad.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

goodness posted:

Butcher cannons on the 3 Dreads, I'll have to see if that is enough.

If all your dreads have butcher cannons I'd say you have *enough*, butcher cannons are so crazy good against, like everything? I think?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Harvey Mantaco posted:

If all your dreads have butcher cannons I'd say you have *enough*, butcher cannons are so crazy good against, like everything? I think?

That is the plan! And I may try to fit in a contemptor as well. Trying to use all the models I have.

edited the list:

Battalion (2 HQ, 3 Troops, 1 Elite) CP: 3
Nurgle DP
Plaguecaster
Tallyman
7x PMarines
7x PMarines
20x Poxwalkers

Spearhead (1 HQ, 3 Heavy) CP: 1
Chaos Lord
2x Deredeo
1x Leviathan

Spearhead (1 HQ, 3 Heavy) CP: 1
Typhus
2x PBC
Defiler

goodness fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 8, 2019

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

JBP posted:

X-posting a space marine what I gone and done

Should be Et Mors Penis imo

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

The Jumpoff posted:

As I mentioned all of the photos I took were crappy cell phone shots of the whole table, but I did get one of his Squiggoth mauling my Armigers.

Apparently it started life as a AoS Stonehorn with the skull head built up into flesh with a plasticard structure on top.

This loving guy, too drat powerful.

Orks went first thanks to a lousy roll.

At first there was a Stompa and a lot of Orks...

Then there was not.

And then there was again!

Oh dear...

Ahhhh!

AHHHHHHHHH!

But then wave after wave just got burnt to a crisp by this stupid gun (it's not fully assembled and painted yet)

Jets bugging out

It was all over really quickly, an Ork army that can't realistically engage a model in close combat isn't a fair fight unfortunately.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
That looks like a good game in the sense of seeing two painted armies facing off is good

It looks painful because I cannot imagine the Ork player wanted to do anything more than choke to death on his own Shoota

e: I remember when I went to a tournament local to me (notorious for soft lists and fun play), where I took a list with a bunch of Wyches on foot led by a Haemonculli on foot. In the midst of my opponent's turn two, I had six Mandrakes, the Haemonculli and a Cronus left alive. I had had zero close combat so far. My Haemonculli had zero wargear, just a standard loadout.

My opponent rapidfired this lone model to death rather than letting it charge a full strength Tactical Squad even though the game was a forgone conclusion. It was a good game in the sense that everything looked nice on the table, but it was not a fun game.

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Lizard Combatant posted:

As I mentioned all of the photos I took were crappy cell phone shots of the whole table, but I did get one of his Squiggoth mauling my Armigers.

This loving guy, too drat powerful.

Orks went first thanks to a lousy roll.

At first there was a Stompa and a lot of Orks...

Then there was not.

Cool looking game at set up. Unfortunately the Stompa is just bad. It's not good at the best of times, and you brought something that has a decent shot at removing it from the table turn 1.