Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Bother, my memory's messed up. There was an entire range of greenbloods that was deliberately exterminated, and I confused that with the jade blood of Kanaya, Porrim, and the Condesce.

The Jadebloods were designated from birth to be the caretakers of the mother grub. As Alternian jobs go it's probably one of the safer and more secure ones, but if you're a jadeblood who wants to do something else with her life, you'll have to attempt an escape and live a life on the run. Kanaya did it at a very young age with the help of a similarly young mother grub who acted as her lusus. The Dolorosa was content in her live of servitude until she saw an infant troll whose mutant blood meant he had no lusus assigned to him, and so was slated for culling. She grabbed a saw and the kid and carved her way above ground, taking lethal damage and becoming a rainbow drinker in the process.

ThaumPenguin posted:

I have to say, I halfway expected Roxy to CHAOS DUNK that egg.

::3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Cthulhuchan posted:

Nah, she clearly gives no shits about the current goings on.

Girl just wants to swim with the fishes and/or mad loot.

As two Vriskas crowd her life, Meenah quickly begins to remember her one true love: Herself.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
True facts when you are nigh immortal this is a very important and positive quality to have.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Cthulhuchan posted:

Nah, she clearly gives no shits about the current goings on.

Girl just wants to swim with the fishes and/or mad loot.

I think you'll find that Meenah probably loves currents.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

creationist believer posted:

Finally we learn what the "eggy loking thign" [sic] is.

We've seen the Matriorb lots of times prior to this, though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ariong posted:

The Jadebloods were designated from birth to be the caretakers of the mother grub. As Alternian jobs go it's probably one of the safer and more secure ones, but if you're a jadeblood who wants to do something else with her life, you'll have to attempt an escape and live a life on the run. Kanaya did it at a very young age with the help of a similarly young mother grub who acted as her lusus. The Dolorosa was content in her live of servitude until she saw an infant troll whose mutant blood meant he had no lusus assigned to him, and so was slated for culling. She grabbed a saw and the kid and carved her way above ground, taking lethal damage and becoming a rainbow drinker in the process.

This makes me wonder, actually. Since all the troll adults are in space, who's jading around on Alternia? I imagine it's just young jadebloods taking care of kids as they can, and... well, with nothing to do in space there aren't any old ones.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I've always assumed that jadebloods were the exception to the rule, since they are supposed to stay in the caverns all the time and never go up to the surface.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

As I recall, Kanaya's intro mentioned that her blood type is fairly rare. Probably there's few enough Jadebloods that they're exempted from the 'Can't be on the planet as an adult' rule. They just, you know, stay in the brooding caves and don't really talk to anyone. Probably didn't even realize the apocalypse was happening until the Vast Glub got them all.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Bobulus posted:

As I recall, Kanaya's intro mentioned that her blood type is fairly rare. Probably there's few enough Jadebloods that they're exempted from the 'Can't be on the planet as an adult' rule. They just, you know, stay in the brooding caves and don't really talk to anyone. Probably didn't even realize the apocalypse was happening until the Vast Glub got them all.

I wonder how exactly Karkat got out of the brooding caverns. I know it's mentioned that the Sufferer's followers made sure there would be a lusus for his descendant, but that he left the caverns implies to me that some jadeblood let him out. As a grub he was very obviously a mutant after all. Maybe the jadebloods don't actually care about mutants as long as a lusus turns up to claim them, and the Dolorosa had to fight her way out because she was trying to act as the Sufferer's lusus rather than because the Sufferer was a mutant.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Slime posted:

I wonder how exactly Karkat got out of the brooding caverns. I know it's mentioned that the Sufferer's followers made sure there would be a lusus for his descendant, but that he left the caverns implies to me that some jadeblood let him out. As a grub he was very obviously a mutant after all. Maybe the jadebloods don't actually care about mutants as long as a lusus turns up to claim them, and the Dolorosa had to fight her way out because she was trying to act as the Sufferer's lusus rather than because the Sufferer was a mutant.

He was never the brooding caverns, he fell out of the sky on a metorite just like all the other sgrub playing trolls.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

He was never the brooding caverns, he fell out of the sky on a metorite just like all the other sgrub playing trolls.
Do we know that there were meteorites in the trolls' sessions, or are we just assuming by analogy?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yes. Karkat created his team and their ancestors and put them on meteors before the reckoning. See?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Do we know that there were meteorites in the trolls' sessions, or are we just assuming by analogy?

Yes, we know. It is specifically mentioned that the Sufferer landed on earth on a metorite that fell near the entrance of the brooding caves. The handmaiden was also delivered to Doc Scratch on a metorite.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It is definitely one of those SXURB constants.

And Vriska even brow beats Tavros about going through the trials in the 8rooding caverns. So at least some of them go through the caverns.

And Karkat obviously got through the brooding caverns and was picked up by Crabdad and if you forgot you are a monster. It's two days after father's day. One loving day and you forget about Crabdad already. You make me sick.

life_source fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 24, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

life_source posted:

And Vriska even brow beats Tavros about going through the trials in the 8rooding caverns. So at least some of them go through the caverns.

or shes full of poo poo

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
The kids probably assumed they passed through a birth canal at some point before learning otherwise. Vriska saying that Tavros made it through the caverns is likely based on similarly flawed assumptions.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Thanks, all. At least (on reread) we now have the Worst Parental Figure In Homestuck locked down. I thought it was a tie between Bro and Li'l Cal, but I was wrong. It's Doc Scratch.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Thanks, all. At least (on reread) we now have the Worst Parental Figure In Homestuck locked down. I thought it was a tie between Bro and Li'l Cal, but I was wrong. It's Doc Scratch.

Who, in a way, is a combination of Bro and Lil' Cal.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Spidermom.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Blackheart posted:

Spidermom.

her parenting style, ie squatting in the basement demanding a constant stream of children to sate her ever-growing hunger, was supplemented by Doc Scratch's unique brand of harassment, insults, and gaslighting

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

If we're judging them based on parenting skills or what their children did, I'd say that Goatdad and Seahorsedad have this poo poo on lock.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Seahorse dad was alright, it's just that Eridan was genetically that much of a fuckup.

I'd like to hear goatdad's side of the story though. Why did they give the poo poo land-based trash clown troll a maritime based lusus, it just doesn't make sense. Motherfucking clowns, man.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Blackheart posted:

I'd like to hear goatdad's side of the story though. Why did they give the poo poo land-based trash clown troll a maritime based lusus, it just doesn't make sense. Motherfucking clowns, man.

Well, the lussii pick their own kids. So seahorsedad popped his head out of the ocean he lived in, saw a grub who definitely did not have gills or fins, and though to himself "Yeah, I'm equipped to handle that".

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Ariong posted:

Well, the lussii pick their own kids. So seahorsedad popped his head out of the ocean he lived in, saw a grub who definitely did not have gills or fins, and though to himself "Yeah, I'm equipped to handle that".

Eridan has both gills AND fins.

Did you mean goatdad? Cuz I'm pretty sure Goatdad is just as stoned as Gamzee and clearly had no loving clue what he was doing.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Classtoise posted:

Eridan has both gills AND fins.

Did you mean goatdad? Cuz I'm pretty sure Goatdad is just as stoned as Gamzee and clearly had no loving clue what he was doing.

Yeah I meant goatdad. Up to his gills in sea weed.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Classtoise posted:

TC: I lEaRnEd It By WaTcHiNg YoU

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Update.

Um. What does this mean?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

McStephenson posted:

Update.

Um. What does this mean?

HOO HOO HOO

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Nannasprite is alt!Janesprite, so presumably there's stuff that needs to be passed on from the Beta timeline instance to the Alpha timeline instance. It would make sense if it were the inside dirt on Betty Crocker/the Batterwitch.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

McStephenson posted:

Update.

Um. What does this mean?

Pretty much nothing.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Meenah really does like them lovely rear end clowns as enforcers doesn't she.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

And now poor Dirk has lost the will to live and Roxy is dragging Calliope off into space.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Really this is probably the best way this update could have gone.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Poor Jane, always being dragged through the air with her legs kicking wildly.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Soon, it's gonna be just Terezi and John in that platform.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I'm really glad the Jane and Roxy on hoverboard image got reused, and I really hope that we get to see this conversation because I am looking forward to it.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the most interesting part for me was that rose seems to believe herself to be "narcissistic". i have a hard time seeing that, but then again i guess constructing an elaborate insincerity-conspiracy centered around oneself is kind of self-centered.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Meenah has so had it with all Vriskas, dead or alive. She's outie.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Goddamn, that panel with Jasprose pinching Rose's cheek is a work of loving art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The expression perfectly captures what she's thinking. "Um, no. This is not what should be happening. This is the opposite of what should be happening."