Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If you're fighting any kind of a threat you basically want to nibble away at them with repeated one-sided white peaces until they're small enough to consume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Also if they're federated or have Defense pacts you'll have to chip away at them too. Getting an opponent to surrender means thrashing their allies too.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Anyone have a suggestion on what a balanced Crisis Strength is now?
Vanilla game, default difficulty.

We've been raising it every match and even at 3X the AI just stomps it because it was balanced for when AI Empires were inept, but I don't wanna raise too high for a coop game and have an extremely anticlimactic end to a 12 campaign.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Is there any UI scaling mods people have used that might fix the blurry text I get when I upscale the UI? Default UI scale is too small I gotta strain to read, but when I upscale the UI the text becomes blurry so I gotta strain to read anyway.

I've tried a few mods that change the font a bit, and also the UI dynamic overhaul one but so far I haven't had any luck. Still looks blurry

I upscale to 1.5 in 4K with Tiny Outliner and the only things that are blurry are ground combat armies. Have you tried different scaling factors?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Jack Trades posted:

Anyone have a suggestion on what a balanced Crisis Strength is now?
Vanilla game, default difficulty.

We've been raising it every match and even at 3X the AI just stomps it because it was balanced for when AI Empires were inept, but I don't wanna raise too high for a coop game and have an extremely anticlimactic end to a 12 campaign.
This answer will depend on the end year start time. Earlier is harder. Galaxy size may matter too.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

ShadowHawk posted:

This answer will depend on the end year start time. Earlier is harder. Galaxy size may matter too.

Well, we play the default end-year settings and on a Medium galaxy size usually.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
The Khan is such a joke. Maybe changing the start date for the midgame crisis is also the solution.. it's a race to see who can kill him first.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
In one of my first games since the AI changes (before Overlord came out) the Khan just absolutely tore through the galaxy and caused a border gore mess that the galaxy never recovered from. I spent like 10-15 years trying to chase the fleet down. In my current game the AI just threw tons of fleets into the meat grinder until the Khan ran out of fleets and was defeated. Both games were on 2x tech costs.

I assume that now that the AI can hire mercenary fleets they can punch way above their usual weight when needed. I also suspect that mercenary fleets drastically increasing the power rating of a nation can have all sorts of adverse affects on the diplomatic AI, especially when it comes to diplo subjugation.

Speaking of merc enclaves, do they update their fleets as new tech comes in, or do they just replace them with newer models as the old ones get killed in battle?

*Edit*

Fleets seem kind of buggy in this version. In my current game, every AI fleet that isn't busy doing something specific is just constantly trying to go to their home base, even if they are already docked there. Every couple of days they'll get orders to go to the home base they're already docked at, dock again, then a few days later get the same order again. I hope it's not contributing to the game slowing down late-game.

Mercenary fleets whose contracts have expired also don't seem to properly clear their assigned home base so they'll just constantly hang out at their old home base until someone hires them again instead of heading back to the enclave. I've also seen ones hired by the AI have one of my star bases assigned as their home base, because they were part of the fleet I used to start the merc enclave, and they just hung out at the base until the contract expired. Though I guess it's possible that they lacked border access between the merc enclave in my land and their own territory and so couldn't move the fleet to one of their own systems, though I'd hope the AI would check that before hiring.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 12:02 on May 29, 2022

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
I've noticed the fleet-returning-to-base bug with my own fleets. It seems to happen when I use an upgrade command to send them back, and doesn't resolve until I manually put them in orbit, and then give the upgrade command. Usually.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
And another thing - it seems loyalty is a third axis in relationships, in addition to attitude and opinion. I've got loyalty maxed out on ... two dozen? protectorates (vassalized a big guy who had his third of the galaxy beneath him, that took a while to renegotiate).

Got a bit of a surprise when I switched map view and saw wall to wall red. None can stand against me, not even all of them at once I'm fairly sure, but I'm curious about what is going to happen if I stay the course. "Relative strength of subjects" is the big malus.

I did attempt to reduce it by releasing the big guy, who had graduated from protectorate to vassal, but the day after I released him he immediately begged for protection.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Affi posted:

The Khan is such a joke. Maybe changing the start date for the midgame crisis is also the solution.. it's a race to see who can kill him first.

I've cranked the mid-game year down to the absolute minimum and the khan goes the exact same way every time. They make their big announcement, days later the khan is defeated for the first time, days later they are killed, then they revert back to their old ways. They're sending like 10k fleets out when everyone has 50k.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Duodecimal posted:

And another thing - it seems loyalty is a third axis in relationships, in addition to attitude and opinion. I've got loyalty maxed out on ... two dozen? protectorates (vassalized a big guy who had his third of the galaxy beneath him, that took a while to renegotiate).

Got a bit of a surprise when I switched map view and saw wall to wall red. None can stand against me, not even all of them at once I'm fairly sure, but I'm curious about what is going to happen if I stay the course. "Relative strength of subjects" is the big malus.

I did attempt to reduce it by releasing the big guy, who had graduated from protectorate to vassal, but the day after I released him he immediately begged for protection.

I think loyalty is a strictly binary thing. Either they are loyal, in which case you have nothing to worry about, or they aren't. Not liking you makes no big difference apart from the monthly loyalty penalty.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

megane posted:

Yeah, and it helps a bit, but not enough to actually declare victory. It just takes so long to get anywhere; it feels like I'd have to win every fight with no casualties and no repairs and no pauses to bombard anything just to keep ahead of the exhaustion. I guess I should wait until I have better speed.
Very rarely do you actually get to victory during a war. If you only do a few claims and take those while winning some battles that'll usually do it. But mostly it's white peace truces and you just keep what you've taken.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

megane posted:

Yeah, and it helps a bit, but not enough to actually declare victory. It just takes so long to get anywhere; it feels like I'd have to win every fight with no casualties and no repairs and no pauses to bombard anything just to keep ahead of the exhaustion. I guess I should wait until I have better speed.

Its by design that you rarely get to totally declare victory since they want wars to lead to results other than total destruction. Either you are so powerful you can handily beat all their fleets, take all their starbases, and invade all their planets or you will probably have to settle for status quo and have borders adjusted instead of winner take all. Losing ships or armies increases your war weariness a lot more than losing a battle on its own. Bigger ships will start trying to disengage with more hp left so they are more likely to escape. Similarly lots of small weapons will wear down health steadily giving the target time to try and escape while large weapons doing the same dps but in slower bigger shots are more likely to leapfrog the disengage window and outright kill the target. This also means if the enemy still has starbases not only are they able to build more ships they can repair their damaged ones making you have to roll the dice again. If you can force damaged ships into a fight you are a lot more likely to get a kill. Capturing starbases also lets you repair in enemy territory so the same doesn't happen to you.

If you are going to a clear cut win you will have to land troops and invade all or most of the enemy planets since it drives up both war score and war weariness. To keep the systems in a status quo peace you have to occupy the colonies in your claimed systems. But losing armies also raises war weariness so you want to do as little actual fighting as possible. Ideally bombard until the enemy has no defenders left and then you can conquer without a fight. If you are trying to go for total victory that means you need enough forces that you can park them in orbit for a while since even with strong fleets bombardment is fairly slow. If you are going for a status quo peace losing troops fighting on an planet isn't that big a deal but as said before assault armies suck so you need a ton of them. If you get the option for cybrex warforms or other big strong armies they are more valuable than a bunch of regular armies of the same strength since you won't take a lot of chip war weariness just like battleships instead of corvettes.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Is there any UI scaling mods people have used that might fix the blurry text I get when I upscale the UI? Default UI scale is too small I gotta strain to read, but when I upscale the UI the text becomes blurry so I gotta strain to read anyway.

I've tried a few mods that change the font a bit, and also the UI dynamic overhaul one but so far I haven't had any luck. Still looks blurry

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1906038494

Make sure to follow the installation instructions

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
I got an odd playthrough, near-end game.

Playing a machine race, being friendly to others, got into a military/martial alliance/federation with another powerful AI trying to catch up and get out of the top 6.

AI declares war, I voted to go along with it, we take about 90% of the territory, and then one of the nearby fallen empires had an upstart awakening and started to trash us with 200k fleets [we have 70-90k fleets]. No problem most of my Navy is parked at 2 choke points to my empire. Being the current federation president I decided to use a few large federation fleets to do hit and run raids on the FE.

The AI we attacked is pretty much toast, going from a competitor to pathetic in fleet power. The FE pushes too aggressively and I eventually sent in my navy into their home systems and use a Colossus to encase all of the FE's homeworlds.

At this point we should be ending the war, their war exhaustion are at 100% while ours is at 20% but since I didn't declare the war, I have to wait for my AI to do so. This sucks.

Any way around this? After some google-fu, my only chance is to wait until somehow our war exhaustion reaches high levels which will take forever since the enemies we were fighting are smashed. Either that or waste time in taking systems/planets I'm not interested in.

On top of that, the Prethoryn Scourge rolls in.

I have a remote system via wormhole that's basically a fortress world with a shield generator and about 2300 troop power hanging out with a general. The Scourge takes the system but since their average fleet power is 50-70k, I send about 50% of my navy over and crush 3-4 Scourge fleets in order to liberate my frontier system and as soon as I knock out the 3-4 Scourge fleets, I get a popup saying there was reinforcements on the way in and the AI drops about 300k worth of fleet on top of mine and that clobbered me.

That sort of feels cheap, I mean, I understand doing that "off camera" or something but for an end game faction to get kicked hard in the nuts early on just to turn around and drop in way more ships immediately seems like a cheap move?

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

I've cranked the mid-game year down to the absolute minimum and the khan goes the exact same way every time. They make their big announcement, days later the khan is defeated for the first time, days later they are killed, then they revert back to their old ways. They're sending like 10k fleets out when everyone has 50k.

What level are you playing at? Maybe Khan fleets do not scale with difficulty levels?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

SirTagz posted:

What level are you playing at? Maybe Khan fleets do not scale with difficulty levels?

Pretty sure they scale the same way as end game crises, i.e. the number of ships doesn't change, but they get buffs. I don't know if they benefit from crisis slider, though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SirTagz posted:

I think I'm at admiral.

I never noticed this before, I found the default mid-game crisis date worked really well and the great khan would spread out and nations would submit and you'd get a whole cool mid-game mixup. Now even the earliest date is a totally useless little fart. BUT what I did notice is that even though I had the mid-game year set to like 2250, the great khan didn't show up until closer to 2300. Just like the end game crisis I had set for 2350 didn't show up until well after 2400. I know the dates are not an exact schedule and only determine when those events even start to roll, but they should probably look at the chance for them to trigger and perhaps increase the yearly bonus to to the chance. They should pop within 10 years of the date, not 50+.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Big K of Justice posted:

I got an odd playthrough, near-end game.

Playing a machine race, being friendly to others, got into a military/martial alliance/federation with another powerful AI trying to catch up and get out of the top 6.

AI declares war, I voted to go along with it, we take about 90% of the territory, and then one of the nearby fallen empires had an upstart awakening and started to trash us with 200k fleets [we have 70-90k fleets]. No problem most of my Navy is parked at 2 choke points to my empire. Being the current federation president I decided to use a few large federation fleets to do hit and run raids on the FE.

The AI we attacked is pretty much toast, going from a competitor to pathetic in fleet power. The FE pushes too aggressively and I eventually sent in my navy into their home systems and use a Colossus to encase all of the FE's homeworlds.

At this point we should be ending the war, their war exhaustion are at 100% while ours is at 20% but since I didn't declare the war, I have to wait for my AI to do so. This sucks.

Any way around this? After some google-fu, my only chance is to wait until somehow our war exhaustion reaches high levels which will take forever since the enemies we were fighting are smashed. Either that or waste time in taking systems/planets I'm not interested in.
If I'm at that point I console into their empire offer peace, console to other empire, accept, back to my empire. Do it on pause so the ai doesn't mess with your empire.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
So why can my machine empire have units go "rogue" and become pirates, but not let me set them up to be mercenaries? What a double-standard.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Nemo2342 posted:

So why can my machine empire have units go "rogue" and become pirates, but not let me set them up to be mercenaries? What a double-standard.
I called a Merc enclave system in this DA game and the benefits have been huge. It's impressive getting thousands of resources periodically.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've just started playing Stellaris again after a while and I'm having a weird random issue that I'm not sure if it's a bug or me just misunderstanding a requirement - I'm playing an authoritarian fanatic militarist Necrophage Corporate empire, and I've got a slave processing facility on a planet with slave pops, but for some reason I can't construct slave armies. The slave pops are allowed to be soldiers under the species rights (and indeed, I can construct a normal assault army with that species type). Is there something I'm missing technology-wise to unlock it? Or is it a thing where one of the aspects of my empire just silently disqualifies me from being able to build that army type?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Are progenitor hive civilian ships supposed to be half-speed? It’s lowkey kinda miserable

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Baronjutter posted:

I think I'm at admiral.

I never noticed this before, I found the default mid-game crisis date worked really well and the great khan would spread out and nations would submit and you'd get a whole cool mid-game mixup. Now even the earliest date is a totally useless little fart. BUT what I did notice is that even though I had the mid-game year set to like 2250, the great khan didn't show up until closer to 2300. Just like the end game crisis I had set for 2350 didn't show up until well after 2400. I know the dates are not an exact schedule and only determine when those events even start to roll, but they should probably look at the chance for them to trigger and perhaps increase the yearly bonus to to the chance. They should pop within 10 years of the date, not 50+.

Khan is (IIRC) a bit weird in that the MTTH is unaffected by how long the midgame is, so if you have endgame start soon after midgame start he's less likely to show up.

They seem to have changed endgame crisis spawn, used to be that they could only show up 50 years after endgame start but now it seems like they can spawn 25 after endgame start, or immediately after endgame start for Unbidden if someone has jump drives (or the extradimensional experimentation resolution is passed). The chance is only 6.25% (every five years) until 20 years after endgame start, though, and that's assuming no War in Heaven. Then 20 years after endgame the weight doubles, and 5 years after that Prethoryn and Contingency become possible, taking the chance of a crisis up to about 32% on that five year pulse. Then the weights double again 35 years in, then 50 years in, triple 70 and 85 years in, and quadruple a century after endgame. So an early Unbidden will probably happen about a quarter of the time (assuming someone has jumpdrives, of course), have any crisis 25-30 years in somewhere around 35-40% of the time, between 35-45 30ish%, 50 years in or later maybe 10% of the time. Too tired to calculate the real numbers right now.

That spread is probably fine for the default 2400 endgame pace, but if you have endgame 100 years in instead of 200 you'll be vastly stronger against late crisis than an early unbidden. They could add another slider and mess around with the dates based on that but idk if that could be done elegantly in the script. Would probably need engine support to not be a mess, and the devs probably assume that the people who care will just mod it.

Also any crisis can spawn as soon as endgame starts if default_endgame_early_start_triggers = yes, no idea what that is though.

Think of it like this: If you have midgame at 2225 and endgame at 2250, Khan can show up between 2225 and 2250, FEs can awaken after 2250, and non-Unbidden crises can show up after 2275. Tbh AEs and crises should have their own sliders though. It would be clearer too.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

scaterry posted:

Are progenitor hive civilian ships supposed to be half-speed? It’s lowkey kinda miserable

This sounds like a bug. Only your naval fleets should be negatively affected by the absence of a progenitor ship.

boloney
May 29, 2021
I wanna set up an AI-only game, but using the 'observe' console command makes it so I can't view the Contacts pane and see diplomatic relations, strength, etc. Is there a good way around this?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I just picked up this game (no DLC) during a sale, and I'm playing my first empire. So far I've encountered one other empire that is marginally stronger than I am based on their victory score. I found a cruiser and am thinking that this is the right time to put them in their place, particularly since I have powerful starbases on our border. But, I also just encountered a second empire that has about 40x the victory points of either of us. They're described as a Remnant on the galaxy map, and from reading the OP I'm assuming this is a fallen empire. Will they just stick to themselves if left alone?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yes, until 2400 by default.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

litany of gulps posted:

I just picked up this game (no DLC) during a sale, and I'm playing my first empire. So far I've encountered one other empire that is marginally stronger than I am based on their victory score. I found a cruiser and am thinking that this is the right time to put them in their place, particularly since I have powerful starbases on our border. But, I also just encountered a second empire that has about 40x the victory points of either of us. They're described as a Remnant on the galaxy map, and from reading the OP I'm assuming this is a fallen empire. Will they just stick to themselves if left alone?

Yes, as long as you don't provoke them. If they come to you demanding that you do something, you should comply.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Torrannor posted:

If they come to you demanding that you do something, you should comply.

Or don't. We're not your parents to tell you what to do.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

There’s even a tutorial pop up message if you get into a war with them saying you should surrender iirc?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

litany of gulps posted:

Yes, fallen empires are special pseudo-factions that won't expand or engage in diplomacy under normal circumstances, but will absolutely wreck your poo poo if you try to mess with them. They each have their own pet peeves although generally they give you a warning and a chance to correct if you do something they don't like.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

xenophobe: stay off their lawn
Spritual: stay off our holy worlds
Materialist: give us science stuff when we ask
Xenophile: don't genocide ok you precious little goobers

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

AtomikKrab posted:

xenophobe: stay off their lawn
Spritual: stay off our holy worlds
Materialist: give us science stuff when we ask
Xenophile: don't genocide ok you precious little goobers

Xenophile is "we like your pops, give us some"

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
If you have the Synthetic Dawn DLC, there is also the Ancient Caretakers, which are derpy robots sitting on the husk of the organic civilization they failed to preserve. Occasionally their glitchy circuits will lead them to make to make demands of you or send unsolicited gifts, but the rest of the time they have no concept of diplomacy and will just ignore any compliments or insults you toss their way.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I played Stellaris for about eight hours in May of 2016, and had to put it down for time constraints. In the recent sale I picked up some DLC at the recommendation of a friend, and this weekend I've been playing the tutorial scenario as UNE. I've got a couple questions:

1) I suspect the glut of resources I've had all game are the result of playing on easy, because there's a +50% modifier to several things. What can I really do with all these minerals? I was bottlenecked by influence for roughly the first 90 years and only now that I've got my borders settled am I trying to figure out what to do as Earth moves into the second century of interstellar travel. I guess the answer is probably "even more fleets" but the problem with that is...

2) I have roughly 2/3 the galaxy vassalized. I own about 1/6th of the Milky Way, maybe a little more of the pie, and accepted vassalizing my nearest alien neighbor after they won a pyrrhic war against the commonwealth of man. I decided to vassalize the commonwealth as well, and shortly thereafter two of the three other empires in close proximity requested to be vassals as well. Controlling about half the galaxy wasn't enough so I started a vassalization war against the remaining empire, who rolled over with very little resistance. How do I reform these vassals into trusted allies or fix the vassalage contract so I can integrate them over time? Do I even want to do that? Because it's starting to feel like...

3) There's no real challenge left. I'm at 2306 and the only thing I can think of is to prep for hellwar in 100 years with the fallen empire, unless a crisis will trigger before then?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I think at this point it's better to just claim early victory and start a new game on a slightly higher difficulty level. If you're dominating that hard that early there's really nothing but 100+ years of waiting for something exciting to happen, and by then you'll just be even more powerful and it'll just be big wet fart instead of an actual crisis.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
I just got the crisis on my game and rolled over each on the contingency hubs one after another no issue. There's an awoken empire who will get steamrolled as well without issue.

Like you, it's time for a fresh game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Rats! I hate being good* at paradox games.