Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Plastik posted:

What's the name of Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle? I'll wait.

Dadstabber I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

It's really cute! I wanted to get the microfighter Dewback but it had left shelves before I got the chance. I also have the Tauntaun now and the micro AT-AT looking like the puppy of the normal AT-AT on my shelf and they make me happy.

Having not watched any of the animated Star Wars series I was happy ignoring anything Lego related to them but I just downloaded some of the Bad Batch to watch on a few recent flights and it now looks like I'm gonna be needing their shuttle, FFS.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The "microfighter" bantha is a pretty good bantha in its own right.

I have all three, but only the Dewback has been built. Those micro animals rock. I can't wait to build the other two.

Plastik posted:

It doesn't have a name? That's hilarious. Funny, because I remembered that I don't know Amidala's fancy silver ships name either and actually, Amidala's ship doesn't have a name either. It's just Naboo Royal Starship. Maybe it's a thing for commanders and them being a thing? :dunno: Point stands and is expanded to include those ships.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's an Upsilon shuttle.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's an Upsilon shuttle.

Not much dawg, what's upsilon with you?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

nm, υ?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Going to take a label printer and put SLAVE ONE on all the boxes in my local TESCO. DISNEY will not violate CANON on my watch.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Carbohydrates posted:

Chris McVeigh, currently a LEGO designer, used to sell some. He still has the instructions on his site if you wanna source the parts. I have the original build of his My First Computer: DOS Edition that was displayed at the LEGO House sitting on my shelf - it's the crown jewel of my small collection.

https://www.chrismcveigh.com/cm/building_guides_-_technology.html

Oh my god the 5.25" drives are amazing. Thanks!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To be fair to Disney, it does sound like they were trying to sort of quietly drop the use of the name and a LEGO employee dropped the bomb. I think just not using the name in movies/shows is fine. I don’t think it was ever spoken in the real SW movies ever. And calling boba fetts starship on toys is fine too. It would just be a real eye roller if they proudly renamed it on screen or something.

Plastik posted:

Very long Blockade runner rant

I have no idea what you are on about but I was making a joke about the rogue one people insisting that it was pronounced with a “vee” at the end and everyone being like “nope”

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Instead of setting the context for the movie, make the opening crawl a blog post about why they did the name change and why it's important.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
I bought the 20th Anniversary Slave I to build with my kid and keep in his room as a display model.
I've been calling it "Boba Fett's Spaceship" for about a year.

It's a movie about space wizards not actual history, it's fine to clean it up a little.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s not even the first instance of Disney phasing out the use of a Slave moniker in Star Wars marketing materials. All the same people freaked out about Slave Leia no longer being an official term years ago.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Should have called it the Boba ‘Vette

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Plastik posted:

Penelope.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I'm upset about the name change because I refuse to be kink shamed.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Dug out my childhood LEGO in my parents' house and alarmed at how much I apparently chewed the bricks

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Should have called it the Boba ‘Vette

Fett's Vette? How would he finance such a thing?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s not even the first instance of Disney phasing out the use of a Slave moniker in Star Wars marketing materials. All the same people freaked out about Slave Leia no longer being an official term years ago.

Hutt-Slayer Leia is way more rad a name.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Anakin wasn’t a slave in Tatooine, just an impoverished, rightless kid who could podrace

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Darth TNT posted:

I have all three, but only the Dewback has been built.

Speaking of names Disney will phase out of Star Wars…

SkeletonHero posted:

Oh, he has like a 20% APR and was underwater on it as soon as he flew it off the lot because traded in a couple speeder bikes he was still making payments on too.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

SkeletonHero posted:

Why he'd obviously bounty hunt for Jabba Hutt. You know, to finance that 'vette.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Slavery was really bad. Pretending slavery never happened is really bad, too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Who is pretending it didn't happen?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well see, Boba Fett's ship was named when casual racism was okay so when Disney chose to retcon it they're whitewashing history.

Or something.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

SkeletonHero posted:

Chase Mandalorian Bank :v:

Also could have gone with Slave ZR-1

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Chase Mandalorian Bank :v:

Also could have gone with Slave ZR-1

Thank you all for reminding me I still need to pick up the C8.R and Stingray pack.

I don't even love the cars that much, I just want an Oliver Gavin minifig.

davebo fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 28, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Waltzing Along posted:

Slavery was really bad. Pretending slavery never happened is really bad, too.

Yes, that’s exactly what’s happening in this case of *checks notes* updated fictional universe children’s toy packaging for marketing purposes.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Is Jabba a super fat Hutt that got like that out of rich laziness, or are they all like that? They seem slow, feeble and not great at designing hangout spaces conductive to long life.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I was kidding about the historical erasure :negative:

You will still hear master/slave in the context of computing so don’t get too upset wherever you see it (in sw it is most probably in the context of chattel slavery given that it exists in universe and anakin is one)

In any case they might rename it again when yet another version of it inevitably comes out :rolleye:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Boba Fett's ship, Critical Race Theory I

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I-Indentured Servant Leia?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

You will still hear master/slave in the context of computing so don’t get too upset wherever you see it (in sw it is most probably in the context of chattel slavery given that it exists in universe and anakin is one)

In any case they might rename it again when yet another version of it inevitably comes out :rolleye:

a lot of software disciplines have already changed that terminology

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Captive" actually seems to fit all these applications better

What does Boba Fett do? Takes people captive. What was Leia? A captive. Let's start this here, people!

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Cloks posted:

a lot of software disciplines have already changed that terminology

Legacy programs are insufficiently woke in this regard

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

Slavers and Slavery was a major plot point of a recent Bad Batch episode. Somehow I doubt Disney is going to say no to making figures of the slavers in other toys.

Again, I don't really care what the box calls it, mostly raising an eyebrow ay Disneys cheap way at attempting to look woke.

Anyway back to bricks! I need the Mortar Stormtrooper so badly. Probably going to bricklink a mortar squad. And some Darktroopers. The 50$ X-Wing looks pretty good as well, might finally get one.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cojawfee posted:

Who is pretending it didn't happen?

There are parts of the country where it isn't even being taught. To the extent kids end up in college having never learned about it.

Disney trying to whitewash it just continues down this path.

And as someone else said, there are other connotations of slave.

But my point is really that changing the name is just trying to hide from the word and it's history. This has not helped the country at all. Look at Germany. They confronted what happened during WWII directly. If you deny it, you can face legal repercussion. But here in the US? Nope. As such, we've barely moved forward.

Ultimately, it's just a kids toy and Disney can do what they want. But to me this looks like trying to hide from americas sad past.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Well said. Denmark’s proximity to Germany is absolutely part of why the company’s decisions appear “woke” to an american audience. They’re more interested in heading that kind of thing off at the pass based on past experiences.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I really want a midi-scale Super Star Destroyer. The kid in me wants to get the expensive one, or even the bootleg version, but I think I'd be very happy with one that's only like two feet long or a little less.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Electromax posted:

Is Jabba a super fat Hutt that got like that out of rich laziness, or are they all like that? They seem slow, feeble and not great at designing hangout spaces conductive to long life.

They're pretty much all like that.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Looking more closely at the bricklink entries and nothing’s truly a must have for me. Some entries are kind of nice but I am just not feeling them overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Waltzing Along posted:

There are parts of the country where it isn't even being taught. To the extent kids end up in college having never learned about it.

Disney trying to whitewash it just continues down this path.

And as someone else said, there are other connotations of slave.

But my point is really that changing the name is just trying to hide from the word and it's history. This has not helped the country at all. Look at Germany. They confronted what happened during WWII directly. If you deny it, you can face legal repercussion. But here in the US? Nope. As such, we've barely moved forward.

Ultimately, it's just a kids toy and Disney can do what they want. But to me this looks like trying to hide from americas sad past.

Germany also pulled down all the Nazi statuary and has banned the use of Nazi iconography outside of educational contexts.

The issue is the lack of honest education about slavery in the United States, not what a company calls some made up space ships.