Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Who the gently caress has the attention span to watch anything longer than ten minutes anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Motto posted:

So this is what it's like to watch other people on the internet get old.

Seventeen year old me would have agreed with beatlegs verbatim but as an ostensible adult I find his viewpoint myopic. I think it's easier to believe that CNN is terrible because of lizard people from a lens of youthful idealism.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Do I want to know how the Tamir Rice ruling is being reported by the Rightists?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Really go an watch any season of MST3k and any notion that pop culture in the past was better should be discarded right away

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I think it's fair to say popular culture has never been as heavily dominated by corporate properties as it is today, and also that that has probably actually improved the quality

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 29, 2015

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

On topic: The right wing media, that is to say all mass media is backed by the contention of corporate sponsorship. It exalts capitalism. The internet will not be freed until the nodes are unchained from the profit motive of capitalism.

consumptura est opulenta

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Ancient Aliens belief is pretty heavily rooted in white supremacy. Von Daniken's writings, for instance, state that aliens first brought up black people from primates using genetic engineering, but deemed them a failure because they all they could do was jump around to drums and chuck spears. Then they made the people who became Middle Easterners, Asians and Native Americans from scratch, but while good, they weren't as good as what the aliens wanted. Then they tried again and made white people and they were finally happy with their work. His response to people calling it racism is just "Hey, I'm just telling people what the aliens thought, don't blame me for the aliens finding non-whites inferior".

I can see how kooky theories like this would support a white supremacist in their belief, but these conspiracy theories aren't rooted in white supremacism per se. They're rooted in a really bad understanding of proper science and history that takes flights of fancy because some stuff can't be adequately explained with what we currently know.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

the jizz taxi posted:

I can see how kooky theories like this would support a white supremacist in their belief, but these conspiracy theories aren't rooted in white supremacism per se. They're rooted in a really bad understanding of proper science and history that takes flights of fancy because some stuff can't be adequately explained with what we currently know.

No, most of them you can draw straight connections straight from white supremacist psuedo-historical and occultist theories about how impressive non-European sites must have been done by whites or by magic, to ancient aliens theories as open white supremacism became more and more distasteful in the public sphere. It's directly related to the idea that ancient non-whites were not capable of what whites were.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lots of crazy theories about how Stonehenge was made by aliens tho

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

SnakePlissken posted:

Well, the good news is we're going to make America great again!

Aaaaaaaaaaaand POST!

You got right in the middle of that one.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

And other than Stonehenge?

Stonehenge conspiracy theories also tend towards ancient magical whites using awesome new age druid powers. It's hardly rooted in the same "green man's burden" bullshit the other ancient aliens material is.

Racists prefer to believe in space alien meddling over native South Americans figuring out that corn is good eating.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Samovar posted:

Do I want to know how the Tamir Rice ruling is being reported by the Rightists?

The only defenses I've seen have been along the lines of "he was pointing the gun at people so he was basically an active shooter and then didn't drop the gun when asked." So a combination of the police's original (and false) story and victim blaming. However it feels like there isn't as much this time so I'm hoping that the people the typically think these people caused their own murders aren't willing to defend this one which is outrageously blatant.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They're also ignoring the "stand around doing nothing while a child bleeds out" portion of the tape, which is more indefensible than the shooting IMO.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

moths posted:

They're also ignoring the "stand around doing nothing while a child bleeds out" portion of the tape, which is more indefensible than the shooting IMO.

Also handcuffing his sister. The entire thing is absurd. I'm dreading what we're going to see in the next week if BLM starts protesting this one.

The logic of the prosecutor is effectively "12 year old was big for his age and looked 15 and as we all know black teenagers can be misidentified as adults so the kid should have known this and not been outside where police could shoot him" and that guy was supposed to be on the side of the murdered victim. I can't see it not getting ugly.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
*shoots a baby*

"Hey now that baby was just a few years away from being a large toddler who looks like a 12 year old who might pass for a 15 year old who looks like an adult."

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Radish posted:

Also handcuffing his sister. The entire thing is absurd. I'm dreading what we're going to see in the next week if BLM starts protesting this one.

The logic of the prosecutor is effectively "12 year old was big for his age and looked 15 and as we all know black teenagers can be misidentified as adults so the kid should have known this and not been outside where police could shoot him" and that guy was supposed to be on the side of the murdered victim. I can't see it not getting ugly.

Wait, that was the dude who was supposed to be defending Rice's murder? I thought that's what the cops' attorney was saying. Holy poo poo, as if there wasn't enough :psyboom: to this shitshow already.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Mr Interweb posted:

Wait, that was the dude who was supposed to be defending Rice's murder? I thought that's what the cops' attorney was saying. Holy poo poo, as if there wasn't enough :psyboom: to this shitshow already.

I assume you mean prosecuting, but yeah, usually prosecutors try to at least pretend they aren't completely in bed with the cops.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

Yeah the prosecuting attorney was not even pretending to be handling this case in good faith. He's very publicly on the side of the police.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mr Interweb posted:

No, you're off base. The massive oversaturation of popular T.V. shows is strictly a post-2000 phenomenon.

And I like Spongebob. I just don't like it enough to watch eight thousand episodes per day.

It absolutely is not. Nickelodeon was doing all day marathons of popular shows as far back as the mid-90s at the latest. And massively popular shows got massively rerun all the time on network TV and associated cable channels since the 80s too.

icantfindaname posted:

I think it's fair to say popular culture has never been as heavily dominated by corporate properties as it is today, and also that that has probably actually improved the quality

Nah that's completely baseless. A more appropriate time for that would be somewhere between 1930 and 1970

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

It absolutely is not. Nickelodeon was doing all day marathons of popular shows as far back as the mid-90s at the latest. And massively popular shows got massively rerun all the time on network TV and associated cable channels since the 80s too.

All day marathons of popular shows have been around for basically ever. Can you blame cable for that? I mean, it makes sense to me. If I was a cable executive and it turned out that what millions of people wanted was to periodically rerun a show all day I'd be like "yeah let's do that." It's easy money; don't need to fund a new show and people will tune in.

Especially when you have like 200 channels. Now thanks to the internet they don't even need to do that anymore. You want to binge watch shows? Netflix and Hulu have you covered.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

moths posted:

Stonehenge conspiracy theories also tend towards ancient magical whites using awesome new age druid powers. It's hardly rooted in the same "green man's burden" bullshit the other ancient aliens material is.

No, there's a shitton of "Aliens built Stonehenge" material out there.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Especially when you have like 200 channels. Now thanks to the internet they don't even need to do that anymore. You want to binge watch shows? Netflix and Hulu have you covered.

Yeah, I think we're actually pretty close to a large decrease in the amount of reality TV and the like. The main reason it exists is that you need to fill time on a 24 hour network and it's the cheapest stuff available. With on-demand there's not an inherent demand for material to fill space, so you don't need to make a million types of reality shows.

Some probably will still exist, but gameshows still exist too.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Gameshows own though.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Radish posted:

Yeah the prosecuting attorney was not even pretending to be handling this case in good faith. He's very publicly on the side of the police.

I can't think of the adjectives needed to describe that. Why was this put to a Grand Jury instead of a jury of peers?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The purpose of the Grand Jury is to decide if a prosecutor has enough of a case to bring it to a real trial. It's supposed to be a check on him but in reality it's painfully easy to get a Grand Jury to go the way a prosecutor wants it to. So you have these situations where they are used to tank a case since certain evidence isn't shown and experts are called in favor of the defendant; stuff that a prosecutor that wanted to indict would never do. It's a way for them to have their cake and eat it too where they can pretend they are doing their job but also getting the result they want without having to actually prosecute someone and avoiding a trial entirely.

It's ridiculously corrupt but our system isn't really built to handle stuff like this where people are acting in bad faith but not provably so.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Radish posted:

The purpose of the Grand Jury is to decide if a prosecutor has enough of a case to bring it to a real trial. It's supposed to be a check on him but in reality it's painfully easy to get a Grand Jury to go the way a prosecutor wants it to. So you have these situations where they are used to tank a case since certain evidence isn't shown and experts are called in favor of the defendant; stuff that a prosecutor that wanted to indict would never do. It's a way for them to have their cake and eat it too where they can pretend they are doing their job but also getting the result they want without having to actually prosecute someone and avoiding a trial entirely.

It's ridiculously corrupt but our system isn't really built to handle stuff like this where people are acting in bad faith but not provably so.

You're assuming the system isn't built specifically to allow things like this, in which case it's working as intended.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
On the topic of RWM, it's wild just how nakedly fascist Breitbart has become, and how much they're benefiting from it. They've managed to perfectly position themselves as the place to openly express racial and cultural grievance and their traffic is dramatically increasing. Their radio hosts are now proudly declaring themselves as nationalists.

Right wing media has always been at least a little unhinged but Breitbart in the last year has been nudging up against an extremely dangerous line that none of the other outlets are willing to touch so brazenly, outside of outright white supremacy sites.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm curious if they could be criminally charged in letting him die, though. You could ignore the shooting as a separate, unimpeachable incident but go after the cops for failing to render aid to a shot child. It seems like you could build a depraved indifference case there.

If you had a prosecutor who actually cared, I mean.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

computer parts posted:

Yeah, like (at least from an American perspective) there's very little in Europe that's really old and not sufficiently explained already (eg, a church is going to be built by Christians, not by ancient aliens).

It is very telling that "Jesus was an alien" isn't a core (and most popular belief) of the ancient alien crowd. It crosses the line and would alienate the core demographic, even though ancient alienism is already pretty anti-christian.

Epic High Five posted:

Lots of crazy theories about how Stonehenge was made by aliens tho

Well weren't the Irish and to some extent, the Scots not considered white for a long time? I could see how an ancient site attributed to the Celts might be hand waved away as magic or alien as a result if we go by the idea that a lot of ancient alienism is racist.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The Stonehenge theories tended to come well after the establishment of the Ancient Aliens idea in general. It's kind of like how Van Sertima existing doesn't mean hyperdiffusionism isn't based in white supremacy/Eurocentrism.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I thought about posting this last night, but thought against it. However, I think it's fairly entertaining and is on topic as anything else is in this thread. :v:

https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/681560268619558912

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Motto posted:

So this is what it's like to watch other people on the internet get old.

True, but old people have perspective. If your formative years are spent in a poisonous culture it's understandable for you to think there's not that much wrong. Plus, there's some good shows on streaming services so chill gramps!

I guess my point is, even though things aren't as bad as they could be, and things are getting better in some ways, we are currently regressing culturally and politically. That wasn't always the case

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

computer parts posted:

Critical Thinking seems like it's the hardest thing in the world to define.

watching or reading a thing, putting it in context with other things, then forming (hopefully independent) opinion or analysis of thing

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Phone posted:

I thought about posting this last night, but thought against it. However, I think it's fairly entertaining and is on topic as anything else is in this thread. :v:

https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/681560268619558912

Hahah. That's like a something that would have been incredible for a Clickhole post.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

beatlegs posted:

True, but old people have perspective. If your formative years are spent in a poisonous culture it's understandable for you to think there's not that much wrong. Plus, there's some good shows on streaming services so chill gramps!

I guess my point is, even though things aren't as bad as they could be, and things are getting better in some ways, we are currently regressing culturally and politically. That wasn't always the case

Well your point is wrong at least as far as "culturally" goes, have fun with that.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

On the topic of RWM, it's wild just how nakedly fascist Breitbart has become, and how much they're benefiting from it. They've managed to perfectly position themselves as the place to openly express racial and cultural grievance and their traffic is dramatically increasing. Their radio hosts are now proudly declaring themselves as nationalists.

Right wing media has always been at least a little unhinged but Breitbart in the last year has been nudging up against an extremely dangerous line that none of the other outlets are willing to touch so brazenly, outside of outright white supremacy sites.

There just seems to be a difference between breitbart and to an extent? The "traditional" right wing media.

Like they make O'Reilly, Limbaugh and Beck seem down right liberal at times.

BTW, is there anyway to troll and/or Fire Joe Morgan-style Milo, Crowder and the other idiots that act like they're the smartest people in the room? Would really like to see them get the "Gorgeous George" treatment if that'd be possible..

https://twitter.com/Nero/status/681868100795535361

Milo YiannopoulosVerified account
‏@Nero
The Beatles are the most overrated band in history. Terminally mediocre. The One Direction of their time without the sex appeal.
@zregime

What a loving twit.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 29, 2015

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I feel like Breitbart and its ilk are pretty much trail blazing at this point. "Traditional" RWM will quickly follow suit unless we see a sudden implosion and backlash against tea party extremism. And I don't see that happening without an open revolt from "moderate" conservatives, especially ones in the media and in office.

*Moderate in this case being less insane.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

I feel like Breitbart and its ilk are pretty much trail blazing at this point. "Traditional" RWM will quickly follow suit unless we see a sudden implosion and backlash against tea party extremism. And I don't see that happening without an open revolt from "moderate" conservatives, especially ones in the media and in office.

*Moderate in this case being less insane.

Maybe some kinda hybrid-UK monster where young'ns and extremists get their version of the Daily Express, in Breitbart, where it's 'news' but also not tainted by neutral-librul language, and political correctness.

Fox News will become the Daily Telegraph, deluded, but the base shifts to non-frothing conservatives.

Traditional Liberal media will collapse as Huffington Post buys them all.

VV The Beach Boys can hang with the best of 'em.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 29, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The Beatles are overrated and The Beach Boys were better

gently caress with me

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The Beatles are overrated and The Beach Boys were better

gently caress with me

I like both though?

The Beach Boys were tremendous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

nachos posted:

watching or reading a thing, putting it in context with other things, then forming (hopefully independent) opinion or analysis of thing

So seeing black people rioting, putting it in context with other facts* about black people being feral, and then forming the opinion that black people are savages would be critical thinking.

*Might be the truth, but not the whole truth.