Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Nechronic posted:

I'm hoping that everything will work out during a battle between Celia and the IFCC's legal team over some sort of loophole.

...I hadn't thought of this possibility to the situation, but now it's the only resolution that I want to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dystopian Rhetoric
Oct 18, 2006

ironically, the comedy arms race ...

rotinaj posted:

Uh...

It says right in the comic "not even with wish or limited wish".

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

rotinaj posted:

Uh...

Duplicating a Resurrection spell means using the Wish to duplicate Divine Magic-- namely, duplicating a Resurrection spell. This is expressly forbidden within the confines of the soul meld.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Then I suppose I'm wrong. With the right DM, a hell of an argument could be made.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!
I got the impression that "no ressurection" clause bit was put in so that he couldn't just ressurect Roy quickly, as that would nullify Haley's current plot completely.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist

rotinaj posted:

Then I suppose I'm wrong. With the right DM, a hell of an argument could be made.

How exactly do you argue against "You won't be able to duplicate any divine magic, not even with wish or limited wish. It's part of our non-compete clause with the evil gods"??

The DM has spelled it out as plainly as possible including known exceptions. "Specific beats General" in this case would mean that since the Soul Splice specifically spells out the restraints it places on Wish you have to honor it. And given the flavor text we know why it's not allowed. If you tried to argue it with the DM he'd just tell you that the Evil Gods want to have a word with you.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT

HKR posted:

That being said, it took over ten minutes to figure out that I was wrong. Rich really needs to just kill his forums, which are a vast wasteland of vapid D&D nerd circle-jerking.

They've also said that the forums are to blame for the server taking a poo poo any time there's an update

Amused Frog posted:

I got the impression that "no ressurection" clause bit was put in so that he couldn't just ressurect Roy quickly, as that would nullify Haley's current plot completely.
Holy crap it just occured to me that V could go grab the rest of the party and get everyone back together so we can have some semblance of the old chemistry back some time this century

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist
yeah, but V hates Elan and Durkon right now. And with three evil mages whispering in her ear she's probably just as likely to kill them as to join up with them. Saying V has complete control right now is probably like saying that a drunk has complete control. V is entirely responsible for for his actions but he's still under some sort of influence.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

rotinaj posted:

Uh... Yeah, I'm sure never being able to see his mate and children is gonna just be a "Eh. Whatever." moment...
Better alive and estranged than dead and eternally bound to some magic doohickey.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Maldraedior posted:

Holy crap it just occured to me that V could go grab the rest of the party and get everyone back together so we can have some semblance of the old chemistry back some time this century

He could just as easily blast Xykon and his entire army into goo and remove any need to put the party back together. The splice is going to end once he's done whatever he's going to do about the dragon and his family.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Ok while he can't replicated Divine magic, couldn't V planeshift to the lawful good celestial realms or whatever and GRAB Roy and just take him back? Or would that just shift his soul to the material realm or something?

I just want him to rez Roy and greater teleport everyone together and basically go "Ok enough loving around, time to get on with our task"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, dragging Roy back to the Material plane wouldn't fix the problem, because it wouldn't restore his body. I think that he can actually accomplish that on his own (its what he's been doing the whole time he's floating around).

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

DoctorTristan posted:

He could just as easily blast Xykon and his entire army into goo and remove any need to put the party back together. The splice is going to end once he's done whatever he's going to do about the dragon and his family.

This. There's a lot of things V could do with that kind of arbitrary power, but this is about him and his family. He won't use the soul splice for anything beyond this encounter.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

bison wings posted:

How exactly do you argue against "You won't be able to duplicate any divine magic, not even with wish or limited wish. It's part of our non-compete clause with the evil gods"??

The DM has spelled it out as plainly as possible including known exceptions. "Specific beats General" in this case would mean that since the Soul Splice specifically spells out the restraints it places on Wish you have to honor it. And given the flavor text we know why it's not allowed. If you tried to argue it with the DM he'd just tell you that the Evil Gods want to have a word with you.

Wish is theoretically the most powerful Arcane spell there is. It is supposed to be as powerful as, but not the same as divine spells like True Resurrection. It says that it duplicates Res, not that it allows the caster to use True Res.

I would then color this argument by saying that I would only intend to use it on my family, if I was playing V. Depending on the DM, I could either get away with it and be able to bring them back if I managed to kill the dragon before the Soul Binds went off, or the DM would shut me down and say no.

I'm not entirely sure what kind of DM Burlew would be, so I don't know which he would do.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

They explicitly stated that he cannot replicate Divine Magic. Bring people back to life, as laid out in the spell description, is a duplication of the divine spell Resurrection. Bringing people back to life is a clearly delineated function of Divine Magic, as it consists of reaching into the realm of a God and allowing the spirit a conduit to his newly revivified body.

Wish is the most powerful arcane spell there is, but his access to it is being granted with very specific restrictions. He can't cast Wish normally, so his only way to use it is the way in which it is grated-- without a provision for Divine Magic.

It can't be any more explicit.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

But but there's a sentence in this obscure book with a sentence that could be read as arcane magic being able to resurrect people but only if you take it in conjunction with another sentence in this book over here.

God drat, some of you rules lawyer this up worse then Brian from KotDT.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

HKR posted:

But but there's a sentence in this obscure book with a sentence that could be read as arcane magic being able to resurrect people but only if you take it in conjunction with another sentence in this book over here.

Man I thought I was bad in the 40k thread but jeez the ability is pretty explicit in this case.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Shavnir posted:

Man I thought I was bad in the 40k thread but jeez the ability is pretty explicit in this case.

I haven't posted much in the 40k thread recently because holy gently caress it's getting as bad as warseer.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

HKR posted:

Uh. Actually, it was out of the Player's Handbook. It was a wording question, not me trying to crossreference the drat thing to death. Go gently caress yourself and your pompousness. I already said I was wrong, but if I really wanted to try and get this one past the DM, this was how I would argue it. I probably wouldn't argue it, but someone asked how, so I answered.

I'm wrong. I understand this. Get off my back, you fuckfaces.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Shavnir posted:

Yeah, this is pretty much the point at which any decent GM would threaten a painful death for V if further rules lawyering was attempted by his/her player.

Or maybe that's just what I'd do.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Technogeek posted:

Yeah, this is pretty much the point at which any decent GM would threaten a painful death for V if further rules lawyering was attempted by his/her player.

Or maybe that's just what I'd do.

We had zero tolerance for this kind of bullshit in my group back in high school. I can't imagine anyone actually putting up with this.

annatar
Jan 14, 2007
hellol

Cabbit posted:

Bringing people back to life is a clearly delineated function of Divine Magic, as it consists of reaching into the realm of a God and allowing the spirit a conduit to his newly revivified body.

If v had access to a cubic inch of his flesh & 2d4 months, 8th level wizard spell Clone would do the trick.

annatar fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 6, 2009

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

oobey posted:

This. There's a lot of things V could do with that kind of arbitrary power, but this is about him and his family. He won't use the soul splice for anything beyond this encounter.

I doubt he would voluntarily give up the huge amount of power he has. He's become pretty power-hungry as of late, and he's not exactly thinking rationally right now.

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite
Soooo... do I :f5: too much, or am I just lucky?

Click here for the full 707x933 image.

...aw, hell. V's family ain't faring too well. And how the hell does a colossal dragon actually pin an elf to a tree?

LuchadoresDelNixon fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Mar 11, 2009

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
What are the odds that V is bright enough to immediately end the Soul Splice, thereby minimizing demonic access?

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Sooo, will this whole Soul Splice thing affect V's alignment?

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite

tazman posted:

I think that really depends on if V can still recognize the emotions of love and affection while 3 extra souls inhabit her. She might decide they are "useless". I might just be ready for the absolute worst to happen, though.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
Impressive, disjunction also removes houses.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

kujeger posted:

Nah, that was the anti-magic field.

It was a magic house.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

kujeger posted:

Haha, hadn't noticed that. The dragon is standing where the house used to be.

quote:

And how the hell does a colossal dragon actually pin an elf to a tree?
Dominated the children and made them do it? I doubt the kids have a good saving throw.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Uh, isn't quickened disintegrate a level 10?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

terminal mehmet posted:

What of it?

E: Are you getting at the idea that he shouldn't have access to spell slots that high? Look at it this way. V is operating on V's caster levels, plus those of the three souls spliced with his. Let's be conservative and say that those uber-powerful casters were 15th level each; that means that V is currently somewhere around a 60th level caster. V presently makes Elminster look like a pussy. There are probably gods who are less powerful than V is right now.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 11, 2009

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

terminal mehmet posted:

Did you catch the part where V entered into a demonic pact for untold arcane powers?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

oobey posted:

Did you catch the part where V entered into a demonic pact for untold arcane powers?

Yes. I just wanted to make sure. That opens up a whole crazy range of possibilities.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I forget, what does quickened disintegrate do?

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

Halloween Jack posted:

Not much, disintegrate as a free action, but it implies that now V shits power, because of the caster level he would have to be to access it.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Halloween Jack posted:

Casts really fast, and disintegrates the target. The "Quicken Spell" feat makes a 1 standard action spell (disintegrate) into a free action. He did it so the dragon wouldn't get another turn before he could kill it.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

terminal mehmet posted:

Epic feats let you add level 10, 11, etc. spell slots to your list.

Quickened disintegrate is one of my favorite uses of a level 10 slot, so I'm happy to see it getting play. :)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Disintegrate is sorta a quick death, isn't it? Maybe V's banking that the dragon will survive it.

tazman posted:

Depends on the DM, I guess, but personally I would have knocked V straight to Neutral for agreeing to the pact, and would be watching like a hawk for Evil acts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

CapnAndy posted:

Disintegrate is sorta a quick death, isn't it? Maybe V's banking that the dragon will survive it.

Its kid survived it, sort of. "The wheels on the bus" and all that. Besides, I want to see more impressive banter and explosions before this fight ends.