Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Not going to lie, if they said they were going to do the Hobbit movies I would buy the blurays that come out next week. Otherwise my plan was to wait since the last three LotR movies got the extended movies treatment, and maybe Hobbit will too. I only own the theatrical release LotR blurays because of Rifftrax (and they were 12 bucks for all 3).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

IUG posted:

Not going to lie, if they said they were going to do the Hobbit movies I would buy the blurays that come out next week. Otherwise my plan was to wait since the last three LotR movies got the extended movies treatment, and maybe Hobbit will too. I only own the theatrical release LotR blurays because of Rifftrax (and they were 12 bucks for all 3).

I want to say that they're already announced extended cuts for the Christmas season. I could look it up but :effort:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"27 vampires...one human..."
"one cup"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy gently caress, just saw the fake fight :laffo:

"Line?"
"Line?"
"Line?"
"Line?"
"Line?"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"Did we mention her name is Renesmee?"
"THE CHILD MUST DIE!"

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
God, I want that weirdo laugh as a ringtone.

And all of the effete "mmmm...eeeeeaaaaauuuuu" whenever the flaming euro vampires are on screen.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

God, I want that weirdo laugh as a ringtone.

Here, have 5 hours of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0pvlVJh57c

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Your $4,000,000,000 franchise, ladies and gentlemen.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I'm shocked I don't have brain damage from the lack of oxygen I was able to take in after the one-two combo of the fakeout and the ultimate "line?" segment. I was beyond laughing by that point, I was just shaking and making a weird high pitched wheezing noise as air barely moved in and out of my lungs. On some sick level, I'm sad to see this cinematic franchise be done with if only because it's provided me with more laughs than most comedies these past few years.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
^I was legitimately in tears during the climax.

I pray that people stop being pirating assholes and actually buy the Rifftrax mp3s, because, while I love them, none of the VOD's have delivered quite like their last few feature riffs.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

^I was legitimately in tears during the climax.

I pray that people stop being pirating assholes and actually buy the Rifftrax mp3s, because, while I love them, none of the VOD's have delivered quite like their last few feature riffs.

Is pirating the reason why there's been so few recent feature riffs?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
The VODs sell better and more consistently than feature riffs, as they include the movie and are less of a crap shoot for how much of their audience owns the movie being riffed. Also, there's some MST3K nostalgia for people wanting a riff of an older, cheesy B-movie. The guys have started to shift their business model to reflect that.

Piracy probably factors, but the VODs get pirated as well. So I'd think it's negligible.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think that a lot of people, myself included, actually prefer the VODs. Not to say that I don't like the big budget ones, but the VODs are pretty much all fantastic.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I miss the features :( I've seen some of the VODs, and some of them are hilarious, but I still prefer the feature riffs. We used to get so drat many of them, and they're still coming out now, but they're few and far between.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think it's probably harder to write jokes for films like The Avengers or whatever because they're just not that inherently bad and don't have much in them that lends itself to being funny just because it exists.

That's why the best feature riffs are the Harry Potter and Twilight series. The Potter films are actually pretty good, but the jokes practically write themselves when you have wizards playing wizard football and Alan Rickman being Alan Rickman.

So I don't think it has anything to do with piracy, it's just that the feature riffs tend to be most popular when the movies are incredibly silly, and maybe there haven't been a lot of those lately? Who knows.

All I know is Breaking Dawn 2: Obvious Subtitle Joke is easily one of the best riffs they've ever done. Bill constantly bringing up the actual lore about How Vampires Work was amazing, ripping on Emmett was amazing, the Jacob stuff was uh... yeah that was something all right.

It's also a good movie to play "riff or script?" with lines like "Stupid wolfy thing!" and "Blink, breathe, slouch: got it".

Also holy poo poo the "twist" at the end. I mean just holy poo poo. I can't believe a movie did that.

And we got to see Alice feed Dakota Fanning's head to a wolf.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
How can a huge franchise like Twilight have such terrible special effects?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This movie is loving amazing, even When a Stranger Calls Back has more stuff happening in it than this garbage, and that's while somehow making more sense than this as well. Consequently, the riff is great too, the reaction to the twist and the "lines?" really made this one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I thought the same thing, the vampire running effect will never not be terrible and hilarious.

One more thing re:piracy - the VODs almost certainly get pirated more because nobody has to manually merge the Riff and the film. So I stand by my statement that as soon as Hollywood makes some more silly poo poo, we'll get some more super riffs.

They've made jokes about The Hobbit in the last few riffs, I'm pretty sure they'll riff it. How could they not?

And I seriously hope they weren't kidding about riffing the Fifty Shades of Grey film when it comes out, if only because:

quote:

American Psycho writer Bret Easton Ellis has also publicly expressed his desire to write the screenplay for the film.

:suspense:

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Why spend money on better effects? They already know they're gonna get butts in seats. No need for Lionsgate/Summit to cut into their profit margins.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Man I knew the new Star Wars movies were gonna suck.

On big movies vs. VODs, they're both great in quality, but I just think the idea of bringing blockbusters down a notch. Making fun of a low budget B-movie almost seems easy or obvious. They've made me laugh at my favorite movies, which is really impressive. Also, taking down terrible yet inexplicably popular movies like Twilight is an immense public service.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

VODs probably also sell well because there is no effort on the part if the buyer.

Back when it was just feature films I tried selling the idea to people and just losing them on merging a DVD or syncing up you iPod.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

therealjon_ posted:

Back when it was just feature films I tried selling the idea to people and just losing them on merging a DVD or syncing up you iPod.

You basically can't stop watching once you start because it's nearly impossible to re-sync.

That's why I remaster my own. Takes a little while (remastering the audio takes the most time - about 15 minutes), but it's worth it.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
I hate to admit it, but I read the books and the whole faked ending makes terrible sense. In the book, the two sides just stare at each other and menace from a distance while the incredibly passive main character uses an incredibly passive power while everyone makes flat, meaningless looks at one another. For a series so incredibly flatline, having that sort of non-climax/nonexistant ending makes sense, but makes for awful cinema.

Edit: How do spoilers work? :downs:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

precision posted:

And I seriously hope they weren't kidding about riffing the Fifty Shades of Grey film when it comes out, if only because:

:suspense:

Also, apparently Emma Watson is in the running for the lead, so, we could expect just a bajillion Harry Potter jokes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Also, apparently Emma Watson is in the running for the lead, so, we could expect just a bajillion Harry Potter jokes.

OK, the book is poo poo but with that, and Angelina Jolie wanting to direct, and Ellis, it could end up one hell of a polished turd.

Now just complete the Mobius Strip and cast Pattinson as Grey. You know you want to, Hollywood!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

You basically can't stop watching once you start because it's nearly impossible to re-sync.

That's why I remaster my own. Takes a little while (remastering the audio takes the most time - about 15 minutes), but it's worth it.

How are you doing this? I tried to do this with iMovie, but after literally 24 hours of the video track importing I was left with an empty project still. I do have a Windows computer as well, but I already had iMovie on my Mac.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

They've made jokes about The Hobbit in the last few riffs, I'm pretty sure they'll riff it. How could they not?

God, I hope they do. When I saw it in theaters, there were so many points when I thought to myself that the RiffTrax guys would have a blast with it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

IUG posted:

How are you doing this? I tried to do this with iMovie, but after literally 24 hours of the video track importing I was left with an empty project still. I do have a Windows computer as well, but I already had iMovie on my Mac.

Here's the guide. Start at the part that says THE MAIN GUIDE.

Time-wise, here's a breakdown (YMMV depending on your computer):

Split the audio and video tracks: ~15 minutes
Convert audio file to a .wav: ~5 minutes
Mix .wav w/MP3 track: ~15 minutes
Convert mixed track back to AC3: ~5 minutes
Combine video and mixed audio back into a DVD folder: ~15 minutes
Shrink down to fit a DVD5: ~15 minutes

Mixing the movie's audio track with the MP3 takes the most work (once you get the first Disemabudio line synced, the rest are rarely off by a fraction of a second). I usually burn a DVD-RW first to make sure I haven't missed any sync lines (once in a while they'll have one that's not listed) and to make sure the audio is balanced (especially with loud action sequences). Usually, there's not enough time at the beginning of the movie to leave in the intro and I always blank out the sync lines once I've lined them up.

All the programs listed can be found in the internet, although most are no longer supported.

It's definitely worth the effort.

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Mixing the movie's audio track with the MP3 takes the most work (once you get the first Disemabudio line synced, the rest are rarely off by a fraction of a second). I usually burn a DVD-RW first to make sure I haven't missed any sync lines (once in a while they'll have one that's not listed) and to make sure the audio is balanced (especially with loud action sequences). Usually, there's not enough time at the beginning of the movie to leave in the intro and I always blank out the sync lines once I've lined them up.
Learning to duck the movie sound when they're riffing was the single best thing I could do to make the experience better.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Alright, I'm trying the method linked in that topic for Mac then. The difference here is I'm trying a bluray version of Willy Wonka because it just seems a shame to have that movie done any other way.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

precision posted:

One more thing re:piracy - the VODs almost certainly get pirated more because nobody has to manually merge the Riff and the film. So I stand by my statement that as soon as Hollywood makes some more silly poo poo, we'll get some more super riffs.
I wanted to address this. This is almost certainly wrong because once something has been manually merged, it is up on the internet for all to download who want to. And since it's usually done immediately, it really doesn't matter that it's a little harder to put online. I can guarantee that the feature film Riffs are pirated more because they're feature films that more people want to see.

It's really a shame that they haven't figured out a much, much easier way for the consumer to sync up their Rifftrax with the movies because I think if they managed that, they'd be set. The fact that it's difficult and, as someone already said, you essentially cannot stop watching once you've started probably sends a LOT of potential customers away.

cams fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 17, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They tried doing a thing where you would put the DVD into your computer and run it through their player which was supposed to sync but as far as I know it never really worked that great.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

First I typed this in the wrong topic entirely:

quote:

Alright, using that guide and having VLC export the audio is making it a lot faster to import the movie into iMovie. Now I just have to figure out how to locate all the Disembodio bits and clip them out.

However, after trimming all the audio, clearing out Disembodio (by fast forwarding through the whole thing and writing down when he popped up and then silencing him), and fixing the audio, I found iMovie once again imported no video for some reason, even if it was faster. I can't seem to get the audio to show up properly for some reason I can't tell.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

IUG posted:

First I typed this in the wrong topic entirely:

However, after trimming all the audio, clearing out Disembodio (by fast forwarding through the whole thing and writing down when he popped up and then silencing him), and fixing the audio, I found iMovie once again imported no video for some reason, even if it was faster. I can't seem to get the audio to show up properly for some reason I can't tell.

When I did it on my Macbook a while back I didn't touch iMovie; I handbraked the DVD into an mp4, then pulled the audio out with a command-line tool. Then I took the audio and the rifftrax into GarageBand to set the synch and mute Disembaudio, and to duck the movie audio whenever the riff was going. After that I remuxed the audio back in the file Handbrake made.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm trying to keep the intro since there's jokes in there I'd like to keep. Plus, give it a "splash screen" I guess with TheMovieDB's fanart as the background, with the Rifftrax "Poster" for the movie.

I have too much time on my hands, you see.

Lobst
Mar 28, 2002

~HUG LIFE~
You could just do what I do and save the intro as a separate MP3 for playlisting with the video file. You can even make a new movie with the intro as the audio and the Rifftrax poster as the video! I think this would be preferable, since it would save you from having to recompress already-compressed video.

Additionally, if you're finding some films to be too loudness-race-ish (with super quiet dialogue and extra-loud action segments), you can even out the film audio before autoducking by either running it through Audacity's Compressor tool (my choice; usual settings are -40dB, -40dB, 3:1, 0.2, 1.0, check, uncheck) or dragging it into CN Levelator (which works all right for most films, but makes the problem worse on others like 300 where the volume difference is too big).

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I don't post in this thread, I usually don't have a lot to say about a rifftrax other then "that was funny". But oh my God the final Twilight movie. That scene/reveal might be the single worst thing I have ever seen in all of fiction, you know the bit I mean. Surely people who actually care about the world/characters must have been furious when they first read the book right? That was insane. I'm still having trouble believing that really happened.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

To post more on topic, I'm rewatching the Rifftrax Twilight movies before number 5. I know I've watched the third one before, but could not remember a thing about it. Now I'm watching the fourth one again, and actually making it through it this time.

Oh my god, all these movies are exactly the same. Bella is in trouble and people team up to protect her. Four times in a row now. She doesn't do a drat thing until one of the vampire/wolf family members either does it for her, or leads her by the nose. How could anyone watch this boring crap without the Riffs?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This seems to be making the rounds as a meme on Tumblr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

muscles like this? posted:

They tried doing a thing where you would put the DVD into your computer and run it through their player which was supposed to sync but as far as I know it never really worked that great.

I think there was something stupid about how some dvd's were mastered or encoded (something to with macrovision, maybe)?. I never had any trouble with the ones I tried and I found it great. There just weren't that many riffs with it available. I think it was transformers 2 was the first one I bought after I started using the player that didn't have it for some reason and that was probably around when they discontinued it.

• Locked thread