Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Quite A Tool posted:

Looking for a little bit of advice regarding schools. I've got 2 semesters remaining for my associates before I transfer to a university to pursue aerospace engineering. The original plan was to move to San Diego and hit up UCSD, however my girl has the possibility of transferring with her work to either Seattle or Austin.

Is it going to make that much of a difference with a degree from UT Austin when compared to UCSD or University of Washington?

UW's got a solid Aero program (we are Boeing land of course). For undergrad, I think you're fine with either of the schools you've listed. I'm getting my masters at UW right now and I dig it, nice campus, good profs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomicSX
Jan 10, 2007

Sweet As Sin posted:

Engineering goons, are any of you GE Edison EDP graduates? Am at half of the first course and kind of struggling with motivation.

I graduated from the aviation program in May and got my masters from university of Cincinnati. Happy to talk if you want to PM/email, but my knowledge of other businesses' programs is limited.

Edit: words

AtomicSX fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 23, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

(Effectively) all ABET accredited undergrad programs are the same, don't worry too much about where you go.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

(Effectively) all ABET accredited undergrad programs are the same, don't worry too much about where you go.

This is pretty much it, unless you go somewhere like MIT. After you have ~2-3 years in no one cares where you got a degree or about your GPA as long as you have it and its accredited.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.

Quite A Tool posted:

Looking for a little bit of advice regarding schools. I've got 2 semesters remaining for my associates before I transfer to a university to pursue aerospace engineering. The original plan was to move to San Diego and hit up UCSD, however my girl has the possibility of transferring with her work to either Seattle or Austin.

Is it going to make that much of a difference with a degree from UT Austin when compared to UCSD or University of Washington?

The only differences your college makes are regional unless you go to one of the top 5 or so. I went to UCSD and work in Texas as an engineer, and most people have no clue what UCSD is. Going to UT might help you get a job in Texas because of comradery, but nobody cares about it in California, and vice versa. In terms of quality of education, it's a wash in the long run.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Outside of the extremes on both ends of the prestige range, it's about the quality of networking. I also went to a school that's well-known regionally but unknown outside of it, and all the jobs I've gotten (in both industry and academia) were through the alumni network.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

GD&T guy, this is the best drafting/print reading book I have come across, is the only one with a comprehensible explaintion of GDT, and the author has another book specific to GDT that I haven't seen bit based on this, is probably one to investigate.

http://www.amazon.com/Engineering-Drawing-Design-David-Madsen/dp/1418029874/ref=la_B001IR3IP8_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1419387732&sr=1-9
Best part, as an older edition it's going for under $3.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Thanks! I just bought it.

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
How many electrical engineers here use SolidWorks in their line of work? I'm majoring in EE now and I am using the software for my engineering team to design some things. I've been told some use it for mechanical design if they work in a relatively small company but is it a common occurrence or fairly rare? The reason I ask is because I don't want to invest lots of time into it if I can use that time for some other software platform instead (that isn't a programming language).

Also, Perl. Do you guys use that a whole lot? I see it on job requirements occasionally but want to know if it's worth putting time into if I already know/am improving on C, C++, Java, and Python.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Solid works is for mechanical design. Having a skilled (firmware?) programmer or electrical designer doing a bunch of mechanical design is a major waste of resources.

That said, it is kinda cool to build your own stuff as either a hobby or at an early stage startup (possibly your own). Also there's obviously programmers that know that stuff, someone writes CAD software after all. I wouldn't spend time focusing on it.

As far as perl goes... I'd play with at least one or two scripting languages in addition to C/C++/Java, your make files aren't going to compile themselves... If you know those languages you should be able to quickly see what's going on in perl, Python or another p-Lang.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Dangerous Mind posted:

How many electrical engineers here use SolidWorks in their line of work? I'm majoring in EE now and I am using the software for my engineering team to design some things. I've been told some use it for mechanical design if they work in a relatively small company but is it a common occurrence or fairly rare? The reason I ask is because I don't want to invest lots of time into it if I can use that time for some other software platform instead (that isn't a programming language).

Also, Perl. Do you guys use that a whole lot? I see it on job requirements occasionally but want to know if it's worth putting time into if I already know/am improving on C, C++, Java, and Python.

We had programmers that did all of the programming. We had drafters to make CAD models.

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it

KetTarma posted:

We had drafters to make CAD models.
I've worked places where drafting and engineering got mixed up.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Tin Gang posted:

I've worked places where drafting and engineering got mixed up.

My place had a dedicated drafting squad. They kept getting overloaded, and some of the engineering managers really had no idea or respect for the work or details, so the drafters basically all quit over the course of a year. Now when we hire, we look for engineers who also know some autocad or similar.

In my opinion it's a losing move. Engineers are pricier. If you're paying an engineer, you want him engineering, not drafting. Yeah it helps for doing some simple markups yourself, but when it comes to creating a mechanical drawing from scratch it's a lot of efficiency lost to have the engineer spending half a dozen to several dozen hours per drawing instead of a dedicated drafter. Plus, they can get pigeonholed into doing CAD work for other engineers who don't know CAD, so they lose time on their own projects.

That's not to say it's a bad move for engineers to learn some (or a lot of) drafting, just be wary if a place starts asking you to do drafting more than 10-20% of the time. That poo poo can creep upwards. Your future is in engineering experience, not draft experience.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I work at a small structural/mechanical firm (3 engineers, 4 drafters, 1 estimator) where the drafters do the bulk of the 3D modeling and detailing from the engineers' designs, but the engineers are also skilled with the CAD and BIM software and occasionally see the entire design through from the analysis stick model to shop drawings. None of my friends in bigger firms touch CAD or BIM, outside of importing their stick models into DXF and handing them to the drafters.

It helps that the BIM software we use takes care of most of the menial stuff like numbering assemblies and creating part views; if we were still doing that by hand, I imagine we'd have one less engineer but twice as many drafters.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I'm EE and I use solidworks. Basically I pound out something I need in the morning, send the STL file to the rapid shop and stop by on my way home and pick the part up.

Anyone who needs to make something should learn how to use Solidworks instead of waiting around for some drafter to get freed up, its so quick to use.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
In Electrical Engineering, is there a standard color set for wires in schematics, besides the obvious red/black?

I mean like colors for transmit or receive wires, digital outputs, etc.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

In Electrical Engineering, is there a standard color set for wires in schematics, besides the obvious red/black?

I would say none -- schematics should provide all necessary information if it's printed / duplicated in pure black and white. If there's actual wire colors that need to be listed, I'd type out the colors on the drawing as well.

In terms of general color codes, there are MIL-STDs that govern what color wire a given pin number in a harness should be, and various other standards/pseudo-standards. Of course anything that falls under the NEC or other high-voltage, high-power stuff probably has a code as well, but I don't play in that realm.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

As someone who's read schematics, usually all colors are (loving SHOULD BE) labeled on their appropriate circuits. Structural/household stuff may be different, but on automotive stuff it varies widely between manufacturers, changes from year to year, and may not even be consistent between multiple models from the same manufacturer; it's pretty much tailored to the application, aside from things like bright orange for high-voltage cables on hybrids, the aforementioned red/black battery cables, etc.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Aerospace guys: is it ever worth it to go back for a master's after a little work experience? For, say, aerodynamics/cfd stuff?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 10, 2023

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Thoguh posted:

Is your employer paying for it?

Nope. I don't think they pay for anything (except half of MBAs, shudder)

also I'm in Canada - we don't "do" R&D here for the most part outside of a few companies in Waterloo and the major cities

edit: it'd be tuition + stipend, so something like 10k per year before tax.

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 4, 2015

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Isentropy posted:

Nope. I don't think they pay for anything (except half of MBAs, shudder)

also I'm in Canada - we don't "do" R&D here for the most part outside of a few companies in Waterloo and the major cities

edit: it'd be tuition + stipend, so something like 10k per year before tax.

Most folks around here (and I would agree) would probably say that going back to school and getting a Masters is probably not worth the money and lost working time unless (a) you aren't giving up any time or money because your job is paying for it (b) you have a really good reason, like to enable a drastic career change (eg I knew a Civil who went to grad school for a Mechanical MS because he hated his industry and wanted to go work on cars).

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 5, 2015

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's a good $100ish multimeter for low-voltage, low-amperage electronics? I've used Fluke's in the past, but they seem to be made more for high-amperage electrician work. Are they just as valid for lower amp work?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's a good $100ish multimeter for low-voltage, low-amperage electronics? I've used Fluke's in the past, but they seem to be made more for high-amperage electrician work. Are they just as valid for lower amp work?

Fluke makes some great stuff, for a lot of voltage ranges. I use the Fluke 175 primarily at work, and I think its about $150 CDN. I'm not sure how much it is off hand because I'm not in charge of equipment, but I love it.

There's a couple models with less features under that one, but its pretty easy to get a decent low voltage multimeter.

Edit: of course fluke is expensive, I was way off on my guess. The 175 is about $275 CDN and the 113 is about $150. This is through a place that calibrates them, so on top of the "being in Canada" tax, they include calibration. You'll have to check your own catalogues, but both of those a solid. The 175 just comes with more bells and whistles.

Jyrraeth fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 6, 2015

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

(b) you have a really good reason, like to enable a drastic career change (eg I knew a Civil who went to grad school for a Mechanical MS because he hated his industry and wanted to go work on cars).

This is sort of what I was thinking. Right now I work with airframes, but I'd much rather work on the engines.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I've posted in here a few times before, but I'd like some advice: I'm a junior in ChemE right now, and I've been at an internship with a small company since April, but I'm feeling that I'm not getting the experience I'd like, and I'm hoping to find an internship with a larger company in the summer (I really don't want to spend all my time with one company if I'm going to do the same few tasks over and over again when I could be looking for a better position). However, I've noticed that a lot of these applications request that you list any NDAs you may have signed. Is having an NDA with one company a surefire way of having your resume go in the Reject bin by others?

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
My guess is that they need to know so they can evaluate any potential legal liabilities if the NDA you signed relates very closely to something they are working on or a competitor.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

An NDA itself shouldn't be an automatic reject (they're very common, at least in my area), so you should be fine as long as your particular NDA wouldn't prevent you from doing the job you're applying for.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Hate to bring back drafting chat, but what I read from you guys has me a little scared. I've got a B.S. in EE, I've been working at my firm for a bit over a year, and just about 90% of what I do is drafting. Not design -- just taking other peoples' designs and drawing them in. I had no idea this is what I'd end up doing for this company, and I honestly think I could've done this out of high school. I feel like my skills are rusting. On the plus side, I'm getting solid experience in AutoCAD and MicroStation, and it's good, easy money.

I'm starting a part-time (fully paid) masters in EE this month, so that'll help keep my skill base up, and I'll finish it just in time to qualify for the PE in Summer 2017. I half feel like I'm better off gritting my teeth, paying my dues, and reevaluating my position after I get all my certifications. Is the masters worth staying the course, or should I risk shaking things up a bit at my otherwise easy gig?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Not a Children posted:

Hate to bring back drafting chat, but what I read from you guys has me a little scared. I've got a B.S. in EE, I've been working at my firm for a bit over a year, and just about 90% of what I do is drafting. Not design -- just taking other peoples' designs and drawing them in. I had no idea this is what I'd end up doing for this company, and I honestly think I could've done this out of high school. I feel like my skills are rusting. On the plus side, I'm getting solid experience in AutoCAD and MicroStation, and it's good, easy money.

I'm starting a part-time (fully paid) masters in EE this month, so that'll help keep my skill base up, and I'll finish it just in time to qualify for the PE in Summer 2017. I half feel like I'm better off gritting my teeth, paying my dues, and reevaluating my position after I get all my certifications. Is the masters worth staying the course, or should I risk shaking things up a bit at my otherwise easy gig?

You sound exactly like someone who just got hired at my company. He actually just put in his two weeks after getting annoyed he wasn't utilizing his EE much. All the managers of the other teams would try to vulture his time with cad and microstation work on non-electrical mods.

Depends on how much you want the money at this point versus what you want to do.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Pander posted:

You sound exactly like someone who just got hired at my company. He actually just put in his two weeks after getting annoyed he wasn't utilizing his EE much. All the managers of the other teams would try to vulture his time with cad and microstation work on non-electrical mods.

Depends on how much you want the money at this point versus what you want to do.

Glad to know I'm not unique in this regard. I've already paid for this semester of school, so I figure I'll wait until I at least get reimbursed at the end. I think the deciding factor is what my annual raise looks like in April.

Sgt. Slaughter
Sep 3, 2008
I'm set to take the FE on Friday. From poking around on the web a bit it seems like if I know where all the stuff in the provided reference pdf is, the majority of things will be plug-and-chug ish. I've seen people saying 30 hours is a good amount of time to spend studying for it, while others have said 10 hours was overkill for them. I graduated last May with an aerospace degree, so things are still somewhat fresh. I've gone through about half of an FE study book, reading over the sections, jotting some stuff down, and following along in the reference PDF. Am I going to be screwed if I don't do a poo poo-ton of practice problems if I have a good feel for the reference pdf?

Also, I know the general strategy is to run through and do the gimme problems, and then backtrack to the harder ones later. Is each section timed, or do I just have 4 hours for all the morning session stuff and 4 hours for all the afternoon session stuff?

E: Having gone through aerospace coursework, I've signed up for the Mechanical test as there's no aerospace specific test, but I'm thinking now that the "Other Disciplines" test might be more appropriate considering I didn't take an upper level heat transfer class after thermo, and I'm not really sure what will be on the ME specific portion of the test - based on the info here (http://fmjfn28v7he3vmrnjjqunw53.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/FE-Mec-CBT-specs_with-ranges.pdf), the only thing I feel like I didn't see in class were the latter half of the heat transfer section and some of the mechanical design stuff.

Sgt. Slaughter fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 7, 2015

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Pander posted:

That's the mindset where I work too. Management seems to think that because CAD is on computers now it should take five minutes to make a drawing suitable for production.

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
I need some advice. I know I should be getting internship experience but the way things are looking there is a decent chance I might not get one. I'm in my third year second semester. I started out as a Math major and switched to Electrical Engineering late. Since I failed physics the first time I am a semester behind. I'm looking at 5 years total. The last two summers I took classes at CC. This summer I plan on taking 3 EE classes at my uni (not offered at CC). I then hope to do research with a professor in something related to DSP/microcontrollers/signals.

As far as ECs/job experience, I've had a weekend job since I graduated high school and will probably quit if I begin research. I'm treasurer of our IEEE student branch and Tau Beta Pi club for two semesters now and am on an engineering team. I also have a 3.27 overall GPA. Thoughts? If anything I may be able to get one the summer before graduation with my research experience if I'm lucky.

Dangerous Mind fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 7, 2015

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it
Is there like a guy in charge of getting students internships in your department? You should talk to that guy if he exists.

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
Not really, just preparing resumes. I had HR look over my resume at a resume expo event thing for engineering students and everything was pretty much up to par. We have an engineering job fair in late February which I will go to. A year after I entered uni they put into effect a program where all freshmen engineers get a summer internship (my girlfriend got hooked up with a civil engineering internship despite failing Calc 2 the first time). Everyone that joined engineering before that though got pretty much screwed and are on their own.

SandBox
Feb 16, 2004

Too right it does, it hates being in the cage
Pillbug

PRADA SLUT posted:

Not sure if this is useful to you anymore; I stumbled upon this today:

AS4024 posted:

AS/NZS 4024.1905:2014 (Based on IEC 61310-2)
Part 1905: Displays, controls, actuators and signals—Indication, marking and actuation—Requirements for marking

6.4 Electrical connections

The marking of electrical connections shall be as follows:
– bare and insulated conductors, in accordance with 13.2.2 and 13.2.3 of IEC 60204-1;
– terminals, in accordance with 5.1 and 5.2 of IEC 60204-1;
– plug-and-socket combinations, in accordance with 13.4.5 of IEC 60204-1.

IEC 60204-1 appears to point to "IEC 62491 (2008), Industrial systems, installations and equipment and industrial products - Labelling of conductors and cores"

I can't look at any of these IEC standards to check the contents but it might set you down the right path, idk

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Get involved with the IEEE officers who bring in speakers / people from industry. Offer to prep their visit, get the food. Build a rapport. Then ask them about their summer intern programs.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
can anyone give me a rough idea of the job opportunities between someone with a computer science/engineering BA versus a computer science/engineering masters degree? I have a useless liberal arts degree and a useless JD, so I'm trying to figure out how I can get into a field that is actually desirable asap without retaking a bunch of gen ed bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
How much loan debt do you have? Just curious.

Obviously a master's degree is almost always better (ceterus paribus), but the job opportunities for that field depend on where you live.