Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Flameingblack posted:

Well yeah, but only in WCW when the Hardcore Matches were fun to watch. Screamin' Norman was great.

Back when I'd flip between Nitro and Raw, the one thing that would ALWAYS keep me tuned to Nitro was the promise of a Mexican Deathmatch.

Because who doesn't want to see Super Calo and Silver King whaling on each other, stiff as gently caress, with 2x4s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

coconono posted:

:eng101: The WCW 'hardcore' matches weren't really hardcore matches they were more comedy matches with lots of plunder. They weren't trying to maim or hurt the other guy, just hit them with as much stuff in the allotted time.

We should really have a PYF plunder match thread because those are magical beasts.

Then what do you call the Junkyard Invitational?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Flameingblack posted:

Psicosis, Randy Savage, and Raven.
Well yeah, but only in WCW when the Hardcore Matches were fun to watch. Screamin' Norman was great.

I'll always remember his hardcore match with Terry Funk

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

coconono posted:

:eng101: The WCW 'hardcore' matches weren't really hardcore matches they were more comedy matches with lots of plunder. They weren't trying to maim or hurt the other guy, just hit them with as much stuff in the allotted time.

We should really have a PYF plunder match thread because those are magical beasts.
Mexican Hardcore Lucha Match.

Plunder matches are so great though. So many great ones to chose from.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

triplexpac posted:

I'll always remember his hardcore match with Terry Funk

The best late era Terry Funk hardcore match is when he does not take any poo poo from a horse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyzGt8tPFaM

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

bobkatt013 posted:

Then what do you call the Junkyard Invitational?

A great idea, terrible production, horrific consequences.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

bobkatt013 posted:

The best late era Terry Funk hardcore match is when he does not take any poo poo from a horse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyzGt8tPFaM

I so wish Funk had gone over to that horse and given it a piledriver.

EDIT - Whenever I'm laying on the couch or in bed reading my Kindle and start laughing uncontrollably my wife always says "Are you reading that WCW book AGAIN?"

I think I've read it 5 times over the last 2 years. I can't wait for the updated version.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 22, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I so wish Funk had gone over to that horse and given it a piledriver.

EDIT - Whenever I'm laying on the couch or in bed reading my Kindle and start laughing uncontrollably my wife always says "Are you reading that WCW book AGAIN?"

I think I've read it 5 times over the last 2 years. I can't wait for the updated version.

The section trying to explain the Flair/Piper feud reduces me to tears laughing every time. There's no way ANYONE could have thought that plot made sense at all.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Yeah I've been wanting to re-read it, but hearing about the updated version is making me hold off.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

I'm the same. Whenever I reach the part about the Ultimate Warrior hugging a blow up doll & the general insanity of that angle, I just lose it completely.

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!
I read it for the first time recently and what stood out to me was the decision to put Juventud Guerrera on commentary despite the fact he didn't speak english.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Domalom posted:

I read it for the first time recently and what stood out to me was the decision to put Juventud Guerrera on commentary despite the fact he didn't speak english.

He was also a crazy drug addict. That trip down under sounds like one of the craziest goddamn things in the world. Yet putting Stevie Ray on commentary was a genius idea.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Juvi on commentary was great because he'd just rip off The Rock's catchphrases

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
When is the new edition supposed to come out? I've never actually read it at all but I could use some reading material come June.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
That book is the greatest bathroom reader ever. Opening it up to any random page always brings good times.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

The time that Juventud excitedly exclaimed "Lex Luger, he got the juice!" on Thunder was hilarious.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Everything about that book is loving hilarious. Youtube and this thread are a fantastic compendium to the book, as you can find out further details of anything in it. I'd have to say it's my favorite wrestling book of all time. While Bret's book is probably the best with substance, I don't always want to get soul crushingly depressed when reading a book. Death of WCW is the perfect light read and always makes me laugh.

Even after reading it 5 times I can't wait to pour through it again.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Everything about that book is loving hilarious. Youtube and this thread are a fantastic compendium to the book, as you can find out further details of anything in it. I'd have to say it's my favorite wrestling book of all time. While Bret's book is probably the best with substance, I don't always want to get soul crushingly depressed when reading a book. Death of WCW is the perfect light read and always makes me laugh.

Even after reading it 5 times I can't wait to pour through it again.

The only problem with it is that it was co written by RD Reynolds. He was not needed and his attempts at humor just do not work when you have wcw doing the work for you.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Require More Fire posted:

When is the new edition supposed to come out? I've never actually read it at all but I could use some reading material come June.

I think next year was the target goal.

Job Creator
Apr 3, 2009

So I just saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HY_intJPQ4

Nash in a Gaunlet match against the New Blood on Nitro. He just runs through like a 1/4 of roster. :psyduck:

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Sean Archer posted:

So I just saw this:

Nash in a Gaunlet match against the New Blood on Nitro. He just runs through like a 1/4 of roster. :psyduck:

Ah yes, the infamous match where pinfalls are counted when Nash knocks you down.

I also love Schiavone's overexcited GOODNIIIIGHHTTT!!!

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 22, 2013

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I completely forgot that Russo stole the Iron Man riff from the Road Warriors for his entrance music until just now.

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!

Sean Archer posted:

So I just saw this:

Another thing that stood out from the book was that the roster was apparently 260 people at one point. Like Lanny Poffo was paid $150,000 a year and never wrestled once.

And until 2000 they were buying airline tickets for wrestlers out to arenas even if they didn't have a match or any plans for them.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

I completely forgot that Russo stole the Iron Man riff from the Road Warriors for his entrance music until just now.

And then does nothing with it. It doesn't sound anything like the rest of his music at all

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

bobkatt013 posted:

The only problem with it is that it was co written by RD Reynolds. He was not needed and his attempts at humor just do not work when you have wcw doing the work for you.

He's such an unfunny sack of poo poo. Especially when you compare his contributions to the parts of the book where all that's needed is "Everything you're about to read is true and aired on television to be viewed by millions of people" followed by several pages of lunacy.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
I just read the entire book in Alvarez's voice.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

mactheknife posted:

I just read the entire book in Alvarez's voice.

That's what I've always done. I was blissfully ignorant and thought Bryan wrote most of it!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tomorrow night there will be another Tuesday Nitro at 8 PM. This week we're doing a TRIPLE HEADER!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's two Nitros and a special non-WCW third hour. Want to know what the special third hour is? You'll have to read some back issue quotes first. From the 1/23/96 Wrestling Observer:

quote:

In an example of how booking philosophy in pro wrestling has changed in recent years from the 70s to booking to placate egos rather than to maximize one match, Savage, who put up an incredible fit after being booked by Ric Flair to put him over last June despite Flair using a gimmick in the finish, lost via submission once again to Lex Luger on Nitro. Flair, who never wins against top level guys, got a pin victory over Sting (although tainted by interference of Luger, but Flair doesn't like to win clean over almost anyone anyway). In the 70s, this would lead to Flair vs. Luger. But in the 90s, it leads to Flair losing the title to Savage, as since Savage is getting the strap, he'd be in the mood where he'll put someone over on the way. Flair, who almost never gets to win, is given the win over Sting as a consolation prize for having the title taken from him. And the match is hyped for 1/22 when the switch was initially planned to take place. The title may not change hands that night and it may be moved to the February PPV, and after all this is printed, WCW could conceivably change plans again.

quote:

WCW has cut way back on budget for jobber expenses at the next Orlando tapings, so they will be using far more local guys and giving them hoods to make them appear to be different characters as they work more often.

quote:

Mike Tenay is supposed to be doing the announcing during the Clash for the Konnan vs. Psicosis match. After all the panic about wanting Konnan to send video of himself and Psicosis (like they don't already own footage from a PPV show they did themselves but I'll bet nobody even thought of that) and it being sent, you've seen what a great job they've done of getting them over. The initial crowd response to Public Enemy (when all but a small percentage, most at ringside, had any idea who they were) may be even worse for those two in Las Vegas.

quote:

On WCW Saturday Night, Mike Ditka said he'd manage Steve McMichael when he leaves broadcasting and starts wrestling as if it were fact. Naturally on Monday, the idea McMichael would become a wrestler wasn't mentioned.

quote:

Monday Night Raw results from the Knight Center in Miami on 1/15 before 4,200 fans (3,100 paying $30,000) saw Lex Luger beat Randy Savage with the torture rack in 5:09 (*1/2). A lot of crowd heat, with most cheering Luger. Neither looked very good in the ring, tho. Next was supposed to be Kevin Sullivan & Hugh Morris vs. Arn Anderson & Brian Pillman. However, the entire Dungeon of Doom and Four Horsemen came out and said they all had a common plan and it served no purpose to fight among themselves. Kevin Sullivan said he respected Ric Flair and Arn Anderson, but called Brian Pillman a punk. Pillman made some faces and Anderson slapped Pillman in the face really hard and they seemed to tease that Chris Benoit was mad at Anderson when he slapped Pillman. There is already talk of breaking up the Horsemen. Not that they were ever together to begin with. It was a great skit, but the lone negative was by having Giant out there with Gang, it exposed that Giant isn't nearly as large as they make him out to be because he only had a few inches on Gang. Whatever problems Bischoff had which caused him to nearly fire Pillman on the air the previous week seem to have been worked out. Public Enemy debuted and beat American Males in 3:24 when Johnny Grunge pinned Marcus Bagwell (-*). A few fans recognized PE and danced with them and there was a very brief "ECW" chant during the match that almost immediately died out. Match had no heat and virtually everything in the match was mistimed. The only highlight was after the match when Rocco Rock did a somersault off the top rope outside the ring and put Bagwell through two tables which got a nice pop. In the poll, PE got more first place votes than any other team for Tag team of the year. The Males placed for worst tag team. And the Males are tons better workers than PE. Flair pinned Sting in 13:35 when Luger came out to confront Jimmy Hart, got the megaphone from him, and inadvertently as Sting came in for the Stinger splash, Sting hit the megaphone and was KO'd and pinned (***1/2). Very good match, very good heat, very clever finish, but you know the other end of the coin. It's the same stuff we've seen a million times. Hogan, Savage & Sting did an interview with Hogan & Savage telling Sting that Luger cost him the match. Sting left to ask Luger, and then Hogan asked Savage to give up his title match since he lost four in a row to Luger and he was in a slump and Hogan was on a roll. They ended up arguing. This has probably changed (or if not changed, somewhat reworked) but there at one point was a plan for a Hogan-Savage break-up at the Clash in Las Vegas. Hogan then pinned Meng in 4:38 after getting the foreign object from Kevin Sullivan and using it on Meng (DUD). Crowd was pretty dead for this one.

So what will the third show be? This week is PSP's two year fanniversary with NWA MOUNTAIN STATE WRESTLING! To honor this event we'll be watching the first episode of MSW we ever watched, #268 featuring the MOTYC between STRO AND RICKY SHANE!

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Somehow in all the confusion last week I totally missed Hulk Hogan asking Randy Savage to give up his title shot because ahahahahaaa

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Gaylord Plower posted:

Somehow in all the confusion last week I totally missed Hulk Hogan asking Randy Savage to give up his title shot because ahahahahaaa

This is understandable because all I remember is Hogan saying "BROTHER/DUDE" every two seconds, and the fans booing him

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MassRanTer posted:

So what will the third show be? This week is PSP's two year fanniversary with NWA MOUNTAIN STATE WRESTLING! To honor this event we'll be watching the first episode of MSW we ever watched, #268 featuring the MOTYC between STRO AND RICKY SHANE!

Yaaay! I won't be able to watch along but this is cool!

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af9M8llS9JA&t=6236s

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but this whole event was worse than WCW could ever manage to be, but this part is sure... something.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

What's really worrying is that the last quote starts with "Monday Night Raw results..."

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkAiOUSm8iM

the best gimmick & wcw at it's worst

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I am almost positive he wrestled The Maestro in this match and that it ended in a No Contest when Jeff Jarrett ran in for no reason and broke a guitar over each of their heads

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

how could Prince Iaukea be so bad at wrestling?

That one Regal match he had was glorious, however.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I liked when he started copying parts of The Rock's gimmick. I thought it was hilarious in the dying days of WCW how blatantly they copied WWF gimmicks, giving Buzzkill the same catchphrases as Road Dogg and letting Juvi talk like The Rock. Way to make yourselves look second rate. I wonder how much of it was deliberate and how much of it was the wrestlers doing things on their own. I'm convinced that no WCW executives ever watched a single episode of Thunder.

Tato fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 4, 2013

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Tato posted:

I liked when he started copying parts of The Rock's gimmick. I thought it was hilarious in the dying days of WCW how blatantly they copied WWF gimmicks, giving Buzzkill the same catchphrases as Road Dogg and letting Juvi talk like The Rock. Way to make yourselves look like second rate. I wonder how much of it was deliberate and how much of it was the wrestlers doing things on their own. I'm convinced that no WCW executives ever watched a single episode of Thunder.
Buzzkill was a something else. They weren't even being coy about the knockoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCDQTkvlbdo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Buzzkill was Road Dogg's real-life brother. I think they were making fun of the Road Dogg gimmick. Same with Juvie, really, he was more like a parody than someone actually ripping off a gimmick. I'd put them both in the same category as Gillberg. Now Booker T in late 2000. That was a genuine ripoff of The Rock gimmick. He even started doing the Rock Bottom.

Late era WCW actually had some pretty fun gimmicks, Norman Smiley Hardcore champ comes to mind. And Uh... Norman Smiley Hardcore champ.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Buzzkill was Brad Armstrong. Russo as George Steinbrunner from Seinfeld told him to "get out of here and come back when you have a personality like your brother." So he did.

Edit: God dammit, GoChuck!