Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Any word on a Game of Thrones S1 BR? Really looking forward to it, hope it's out in Ireland before Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
It probably won't come out before March. HBO don't normally release box sets until a month or so before the next season begins.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

drat :( Was looking forward to an Xmas binge like last year's Pacific marathon.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Game of Thrones is probably going to be 100 bucks isn't it?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

KidDynamite posted:

Game of Thrones is probably going to be 100 bucks isn't it?

Preorder it right now for $55 at amazon. MSRP is $80.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

This is kinda cool http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/80457
Star Wars Blu-ray and a 70MM scan (which was made from a 35mm print)

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

frumpsnake posted:

It probably won't come out before March. HBO don't normally release box sets until a month or so before the next season begins.

Strangely enough, the new Boardwalk Empire season starts in a week or so. Where is the home release?

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

hitze posted:

This is kinda cool http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/80457
Star Wars Blu-ray and a 70MM scan (which was made from a 35mm print)

Is the mouse over the 70mm scan?

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

Cubemario posted:

Is the mouse over the 70mm scan?

Yes. It looks way better.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ingram posted:

Yes. It looks way better.
I dunno, the BD looks too dark and the scan looks too light (whites in the overhead light are blown out)

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Whoa, yeah okay then. 70mm scan does look way better, far more detail. I do agree that it's too light, but it's still a substantial improvement.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not sure if I'd say "way better" but the 70mm does look a lot more like the Star Wars I remember, where as the BD is way too dark. And most importantly of all, if that's the type of source they have available, I would be perfectly OK with using that as a source for a Blu-ray set for the original versions of the films.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Nate RFB posted:

I'm not sure if I'd say "way better" but the 70mm does look a lot more like the Star Wars I remember, where as the BD is way too dark. And most importantly of all, if that's the type of source they have available, I would be perfectly OK with using that as a source for a Blu-ray set for the original versions of the films.

I would. The grain, it's beautiful.
Also, look how much nicer the textures are (even accounting for the BR gloominess).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
BUT LOOK AT ALL THE GRAIN

I must make my own dnr version

there now they look like wax dolls just like my anime wife

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I really doubt a 70mm print scan is going to be fully accurate as a color/detail reference. The HD scans used for Empire are from the 35mm camera negative, while 70mm prints were either made from the 35mm negative or a 35mm internegative. 70mm wasn't as much about higher image quality (the original 35mm prints of Star Wars '77 were all direct from the o-neg) but rather the capacity for 6-track surround sound.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Black Swan is down to $13.49 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0041KKYEW

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I played around with levels in photoshop, the blu-ray has as much detail as the 70mm scan, it's just that it's hard to see them because it's dark.

Multiplesarcasm
Mar 3, 2006

a corduroy explosion.
Man, the O' brother , Where Art Thou? Blu-Ray is a big box of disappointment. Fewer Special Features, nothing new and they color corrected the film (again!) to make it way greener.

While I'm no sperglord about things like this (for instance I didn't mind it in the recent LOTR), it's very disappointing in O Brother. The flick was known for it's awesome cinematography and how they digitally corrected every scene to make a cohesive color palette. Now it's all over the place, flesh tones vary from scene to scene, the color of the vegetation changes far more drastically than it did before as well. The point was to artificially make a dustbowl setting that appeared arid, washed away and even bleached at times. All that is gone now and while I'm not about to start an angry letter campaign, I can't help but be dismayed that this is the version I will most likely have to watch from now on.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Multiplesarcasm posted:

Man, the O' brother , Where Art Thou? Blu-Ray is a big box of disappointment. Fewer Special Features, nothing new and they color corrected the film (again!) to make it way greener.

Wait, what? They purposefully undid something that was deliberately and painstakingly done to add a feeling and character to the film and was even discussed in pretty much anything that was about the 'making of'? What the living poo poo.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I was looking forward to it so much, that's disappointing to hear :(

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
See also Do The Right Thing, which was altered from red-hot sweltering summer to chilly grey winter for the Blu-ray.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Multiplesarcasm posted:

While I'm no sperglord about things like this (for instance I didn't mind it in the recent LOTR), it's very disappointing in O Brother. The flick was known for it's awesome cinematography and how they digitally corrected every scene to make a cohesive color palette. Now it's all over the place, flesh tones vary from scene to scene, the color of the vegetation changes far more drastically than it did before as well. The point was to artificially make a dustbowl setting that appeared arid, washed away and even bleached at times. All that is gone now and while I'm not about to start an angry letter campaign, I can't help but be dismayed that this is the version I will most likely have to watch from now on.

That's strange. The cinematographer said that he supervised the transfer.

Roger Deakins posted:

No, I don't get to supervise every DVD release. I do often supervise a new master when they are struck from the original negative or file. I recently supervised a new transfer of 'O Brother Where Art Thou', which looks far superior to the original release to my eye. That should be out very soon.

http://www.rogerdeakins.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?p=6745&sid=038eced50c4b440cc089623383219c89#p6745

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well, at least my TV has color warmth settings.

Hey, what'd you guys think of Mad Max 2 vs Road Warrior? When they first brought it to the US, they put a warm tint on everything so that all the green grass would look brown and dead, but with the blu-ray they went back to the neutral colors. I kinda miss the orange and brown, because seeing lots of green grass and bushes makes the post-apocalyptic wasteland seem not so bad anymore.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
The DVDBeaver comparison for O Brother has been up for a while.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare10/o_brother_where_art_thou_.htm

If you look at this 2002 article, they use this as an example of the colour correcting work:

Which is a pretty close match to the Blu-Ray:

And this is how it appears on the DVD:

I'm not convinced that the DVD is the transfer that's 'right'/more closely matches the theatrical version, but regardless it should be fairly apparent that the Blu-Ray is exactly what the cinematographer wanted in the first place.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 15, 2011

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
Yeah, the Blu-ray transfer looks gorgeous. Straight-up dust bowl sepia is too lifeless for a movie like O Brother Where Art Thou. It needs a little color.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
That looks really good actually.

That's a long ways away from being the next The French Connection, in any case.

Multiplesarcasm
Mar 3, 2006

a corduroy explosion.
See, that's what I thought from that scene as well, that opening scene looks great. Look up anything else, especially in the forest (which in the original cut was already green) or the second half of the movie (which has more night scenes) and you'll see what I'm talking about.

The greens really help even out the skin-tones (see the "That ain't popcorn!" barn scene for a great example). But for every scene like that, the scene where the characters first approach Cousin Walsh (sp?), everyone's skin is a blah grey/orange mix. It's not that I'm complaining that the greens ruin the movie, I'm not insane, it's just that the choices are slightly off-putting by how great the original looks in terms of color.

I'm not advocating for a purely sepia tone movie, as the original version already had color. I'm not complaining about the quality of the image, it does look great and things pop out better than ever, but I found the sheer amount the color correction changes to be distracting. Let's not forget, it's not like the original version looked terrible stylistically either, going in to alter the thing that's most closely associated with the only Academy Award it won seems strange to me.

You can argue the relative merits of one color style vs another, but they still did it. Still a huge fan and I'm not saying any of the "I'LL NEVER BUY ANOTHER X MOVIE AGAIN!!" poo poo, just disappointed.

Multiplesarcasm fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 15, 2011

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If Roger Deakins is happy with the remaster, it's perfect. One would have to expect some differences since a decade of color correction technology has gone by.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Magic Hate Ball posted:

See also Do The Right Thing, which was altered from red-hot sweltering summer to chilly grey winter for the Blu-ray.

This is the reason I still don't own a copy of DTRT on blu-ray. :sigh:

Edit: ok the OBWAT color correcting isn't nearly as bad as made out to be. *whew*

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

El Jackalope posted:

This is the reason I still don't own a copy of DTRT on blu-ray. :sigh:

Edit: ok the OBWAT color correcting isn't nearly as bad as made out to be. *whew*

Don't worry, Criterion will get to DTRT eventually.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Is there a huge difference between the Criterion, region A locked edition of Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas and the region free version?

Remember reading an review that the version Eurotrash such as myself would get is inferior.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Is there a huge difference between the Criterion, region A locked edition of Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas and the region free version?

Remember reading an review that the version Eurotrash such as myself would get is inferior.

Are you talking about the difference between the Criterion release and the US Universal release?

Off the top of my head:
- The color palette is more warm on the Universal release.
- The Criterion has more extras.
- The Criterion has a DTS-HD 2.1 soundtrack along with the 5.1

And that's about it. The Universal version isn't the best but it isn't complete garbage either.

I have the HD-DVD and it is pretty good.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Get the Criterion version. It has a (If only slightly) better picture quality and a lot more extras.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Sporadic posted:

Are you talking about the difference between the Criterion release and the US Universal release?

Off the top of my head:
- The color palette is more warm on the Universal release.
- The Criterion has more extras.
- The Criterion has a DTS-HD 2.1 soundtrack along with the 5.1

And that's about it. The Universal version isn't the best but it isn't complete garbage either.

I have the HD-DVD and it is pretty good.

Awesome, thanks. Only the Universal release is region free, so I guess I'll have to settle.

Electronico6 posted:

Get the Criterion version. It has a (If only slightly) better picture quality and a lot more extras.

Holy hell, I wish I could. I would almost buy a Region A Blu-ray Player just for Criterion's fantastic releases (Night of the Hunter on blu ray... Night of the goddamn Hunter... Amongst many others) but alas, Europe apparently doesn't care about quality movie releases(?).

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Holy hell, I wish I could. I would almost buy a Region A Blu-ray Player just for Criterion's fantastic releases (Night of the Hunter on blu ray... Night of the goddamn Hunter... Amongst many others) but alas, Europe apparently doesn't care about quality movie releases(?).

Europe does get the end of the stick, when it comes to most of the Criterion and Limited Editions releases. Which sucks major balls. Buying a region free player was the best purchase I made.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 16, 2011

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Electronico6 posted:

Europe does get the end of the stick, when it comes to most of the Criterion and Limited Editions releases. Which sucks major balls. Buying a region free player was the best purchase I made.

What model player did you get? I've been scouring for one everywhere, but the only region free players I could find in my area are cheapo ones (One of which I bought, but I'm not happy with the way it handles panning scenes).

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

There is a scene on the Spy Kids blu ray that I've never seen before. I don't know how I feel about this.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Obviously you should be THRILLED!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Hibernator posted:

There is a scene on the Spy Kids blu ray that I've never seen before. I don't know how I feel about this.

Is it the scene where he farts and the sharks get scared away?

Because that was a deleted scene that they added when they re-released it in theaters as a "SPECIAL EXTENDED EDITION."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Hibernator posted:

In which dimension is it?

• Locked thread