Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:getin: So loving good.

I still feel like I'm the only one who liked Yellow & Green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Awesome Welles posted:

Nope. It's great.

Portland is bringing some serious fall storm weather today, which basically means it's a perfect day to blast nothing but Agalloch

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Calling someone a "Tool fan" is probably the best insult you can use.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Awesome Welles posted:

I really love that album. It's definitely less metal than their previous releases, but it means a lot to me.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Laserface posted:

Calling someone a "Tool fan" is probably the best insult you can use.

:argh: It's sad cos it's true.

What's a good resource for quality bootlegs of live shows? I've found a bunch of shows I've been to on BrooklynVegan, but there's gotta be some other decent sources

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
I already have 2 purple Baroness records, a split with Unpersons I got when they played with Ghengis Tron and Bison BC and a single with a Descendents cover. I guess it's just a variant but A Grey Sigh in a Flower Husk might be my favourite thing they have done.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Elrobot posted:

Ghengis Tron
I miss these guys, Board up the House is one of my favorite albums ever.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun

butros posted:

Is it worth going to see them this tour? Was thinking about it in December when they are in NYC but the new album really didn't grab me at all.

Well probably not if you have seen them before, the show was ok but they are pretty boring as a live act, and the set list was focused on the new album. I mostly went so I could check them off my list.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

nerve posted:

How did Yob go over with a Tool crowd lol

The sound itself was kinda poo poo. I want to go to an actual Yob concert where they aren't opening in a basketball arena.

The Tool crowd was pretty docile. Maybe if people didn't like it they were just used to Maynard being a loving troll.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Nope. It's great.

Blast Fantasto posted:

I really love that album. It's definitely less metal than their previous releases, but it means a lot to me.

:hf:

I remember when it first came out how many people were complaining it wasn't just a copy of Blue.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Henchman of Santa posted:

Tool have also had Isis and Mastodon (circa Blood Mountain I think) open for them.

I saw Isis open up for them, and I felt terrible for the band. The audience couldn't care less. I often wonder if that's why the band broke up (other than Aaron Turner needing to do his own thing in the mysterious forests of the Pacific Northwest)...Like they did those shows and figured, "This is as big as we're ever going to get, and this is what it's like, we've had our taste and let's pull the plug now."

Since I love Tool and Isis, I thought it was a great show. :(

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Would've liked to seen that show. But speaking of Aaron Turner, I'm going to see Old Man Gloom on Wednesday and I'm stoked as heck.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Maybe if people didn't like it they were just used to Maynard being a loving troll.

Is he really being a troll by bringing all those good bands on tour? I guess only if he knows that his fans are incredibly closed minded because that just seems like a cool thing to do otherwise.

I've never been able to get into any Tool but their seemingly consistent choices in quality opening acts make it seem like they have decent taste at least.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Detective Thompson posted:

Would've liked to seen that show. But speaking of Aaron Turner, I'm going to see Old Man Gloom on Wednesday and I'm stoked as heck.

He seems to be in top form. I saw Sumac a few weeks back open for Neurosis and it was drat amazing.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

Ffffffffuck my life. Going to Vancouver soon, checked for any good shows.

Only I could find were:
Cult of Luna and Anciients.... 2 days before I arrive. Uncle Acid and Ruby the Hatchet.... 2 days after I leave.

Also just saw the Sword, new tracks meh, old tracks still good. So happy I got to hear Dying Earth, probably the one track from last album I liked.

In addition to the KEN Mode/gently caress The Facts show on the 12th, Bog and Weirding are playing the Hindenburg on the 19th if you wanna check out some local sludge. Hit me up if you wanna smoke beers while you're in town.

Any BC musicians in here? I think I'm gonna try to get another band going.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Snowy posted:

Is he really being a troll by bringing all those good bands on tour? I guess only if he knows that his fans are incredibly closed minded because that just seems like a cool thing to do otherwise.

I've never been able to get into any Tool but their seemingly consistent choices in quality opening acts make it seem like they have decent taste at least.

I think Maynard despises the Tool fanbase.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Argali posted:

He seems to be in top form. I saw Sumac a few weeks back open for Neurosis and it was drat amazing.

Sumac owns so hard, Nick works at a drum shop in Kits neighbourhood of Van with my bud Alan who plays in Black Mastiff. BM just got a new split single with John Garcia-who recorded the new album and they might be touring with Brant Bjork in the next year.

The Gasmask posted:

I miss these guys, Board up the House is one of my favorite albums ever.

Yessss, the lineup for that show was so much fun and they were so good live.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Argali posted:

Yeah, I saw the Neurosis show in Boston and Sumac was great. Was he working the merch table at your show, too?

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Anyone hear this new tune that Phil sings on? It's a bit more "metal" than "doom" (I don't post in the metal thread) but I think his voice hasn't sounded as cool and bluesy since NOLA/Down II with all those harmonies and poo poo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgFGODoXXbY

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Argali posted:

I think Maynard despises the Tool fanbase.

I assume it's a plurality of the band. They've spent a lot of years loving with their fans kind of subtly, but occasionally obliquely. Hooker With a Penis is on their second album, and it's very much a rebuke of their worst fans.

Seems to me that they all know which side their bread is buttered on but would probably rather be doing other things than writing [highschool]super deep and amazingly poetic[/highschool[ songs.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The Tool fan trolling works so well because every single Tool fan thinks "lol, they sure are hating on their fanbase, not me though, I am not who they are hating on" at the individual level.

But as a group they are all the camo-shorted, Tool-shirted, vans wearing, greasy long hair and eyebrow ring toting rear end in a top hat that everyone hates.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Zoben posted:

Anyone hear this new tune that Phil sings on? It's a bit more "metal" than "doom" (I don't post in the metal thread) but I think his voice hasn't sounded as cool and bluesy since NOLA/Down II with all those harmonies and poo poo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgFGODoXXbY

Dig it, thanks for pointing it out. I'm with you, his singing style went away from what I thought was one of Down's strengths. Glad to hear it still exists somewhere.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Snowy posted:

Tool fans seem to hate a wide variety of good music.

well they are tool fans

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun

Juaguocio posted:

In addition to the KEN Mode/gently caress The Facts show on the 12th, Bog and Weirding are playing the Hindenburg on the 19th if you wanna check out some local sludge. Hit me up if you wanna smoke beers while you're in town.

Hell yeah thanks man, local sludge sounds awesome. Not sure of my schedule but I'll definitely try to make it the 19th, and i'm always down for some beersmoking. Will let you know!

What's your instrument? If you have a guitar or even a bass lying around I could definitely come by and riff a bit on it while I'm in town.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

Yeah, I saw the Neurosis show in Boston and Sumac was great. Was he working the merch table at your show, too?

Aaron Turner was? :allears:

I was camping in the Berkshires that Saturday :gonk: I really wanted to see every one of those bands.

It's crazy thinking that it was only 3 years after that Tool tour that Isis broke up, and it's been 6 years now since they broke up, or maybe 5 I guess.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

I'm on the island now or else I would for sure. It's been hard finding sludge dudes to play with here after moving from Vancouver.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Nah, Brian Cook was. Since I was a music journalist for a long time I always feel weird being a fanboy with people in bands, so I just bought a Sumac shirt and said I looked forward to the show. :)

Black Sabas
Apr 29, 2015

Argali posted:

Nah, Brian Cook was. Since I was a music journalist for a long time I always feel weird being a fanboy with people in bands, so I just bought a Sumac shirt and said I looked forward to the show. :)

drat, I love Brian Cook but it was the guy from Cave-In, I read Brian did bass on the record but I assumed he was busy with Russian Circles for tours. Old Man Gloom was playing shows at the fest, so having that lineup might have just been easier. I got the Sumac record at the show and now it's in the local record shop for like $55 :eyepop:

Black Sabas
Apr 29, 2015

dammit, edit=quote
The Sword album is cool and different but good in a Priestess or Pride Tiger 70s-Thin Lizzy vibe

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Black Sabas posted:

dammit, edit=quote
The Sword album is cool and different but good in a Priestess or Pride Tiger 70s-Thin Lizzy vibe

It's weird how it's growing on me. And the track with the horns? Pretty good...

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Argali posted:

Did you go before the show? I went after and they were both there. Or at least Aaron Turner's body double was, because it sure looked a lot like him

Black Sabas posted:

I got the Sumac record at the show and now it's in the local record shop for like $55 :eyepop:

What the H? I guess $25 at the show was a steal.

zenless
Feb 13, 2005

butros posted:

It's weird how it's growing on me. And the track with the horns? Pretty good...

First time I listened through I was meh to it. Not bad by any means but nothing that stood out. But it's been on repeat for me for the last week. Dreamthieves is the balls, they better play that live!

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

Hell yeah thanks man, local sludge sounds awesome. Not sure of my schedule but I'll definitely try to make it the 19th, and i'm always down for some beersmoking. Will let you know!

What's your instrument? If you have a guitar or even a bass lying around I could definitely come by and riff a bit on it while I'm in town.

Bass. I'm thinking about getting some jams going at Bully's in New West, so I'll let you know if that materializes.

ethan posted:

I'm on the island now or else I would for sure. It's been hard finding sludge dudes to play with here after moving from Vancouver.

Were you in Craters? I think we might actually know each other, like outside of the internet.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

Bass. I'm thinking about getting some jams going at Bully's in New West, so I'll let you know if that materializes.

Were you in Craters? I think we might actually know each other, like outside of the internet.

Nailed it bud!

zenless
Feb 13, 2005

Juaguocio posted:

I think we might actually know each other, like outside of the internet.

There's an outside the internet? :psypop:

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Yeah, the information superhighways are just called highways, forums are these big open spaces full of sweaty people and the sun, and the hamburgers eat people!

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Not an underrated band, but def. an underrated DOOM METAL band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QuK17lSvDo

Unbootable
Jul 3, 2003
I checked a couple pages back in the thread, though I'm sure this has been brought up before. I purchased a CD/Tape/7 Inch from Mountain of Wizard and it absolutely slays. Just great southern metal that turns it up to 11. Highly recommended for anyone who considers themselves a fan of the southern metal genre.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy8aGb3TgC4
Here's a youtube link for anyone that's interested, I ended up contacting them through their facebook because I couldn't find that 7 inch anywhere and it came to around $27 with shipping, well worth it.

zenless
Feb 13, 2005

Unbootable posted:

I checked a couple pages back in the thread, though I'm sure this has been brought up before. I purchased a CD/Tape/7 Inch from Mountain of Wizard and it absolutely slays. Just great southern metal that turns it up to 11. Highly recommended for anyone who considers themselves a fan of the southern metal genre.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy8aGb3TgC4
Here's a youtube link for anyone that's interested, I ended up contacting them through their facebook because I couldn't find that 7 inch anywhere and it came to around $27 with shipping, well worth it.

I caught them opening for High On Fire. How long is the CD? Main thing from their show i remember, the bassist is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Saw Old Man Gloom tonight. First of all, I will say Mare was a nice surprise. They had some good stuff going on, I liked them a lot. Second, go see Old Man Gloom. Holy poo poo. I was right in front of Caleb Scofield and they just crushed it. One fairly big bummer was that I couldn't hear Turner's vocals well enough. They were too low in the mix and when they were going full bore the music overwhelmed him. But it was great when I could hear him. Scofield's and Nate Newton's vocals were at the right volume, though. A great night.

And yes, Aaron Turner was working the merch table.