Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The texture might not be as good but the idea of a honeycrisp apple pie is giving me a raging erection. I wish we could get those here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.
I have a variety - I know there's braeburn and fuji. I don't know what the rest are. I think it's worth the risk!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Honeycrisps make great pies.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

Honeycrisps make great pies.

If you can afford the second mortgage on your house to afford enough apples to make a pie.

:( Oh honeycrisp, why must you taunt me with your delicious, expensive appleness?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Honeycrisp in VA costs the same as normal apples. :smug:

The best apple pies are careful blends of multiple apple types for flavor and texture. You want some of the softer sweeter ones like Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, or various Pippins; they basically melt and provide the pectin (like gelatin in stock) to thicken the pie filling (if the recipe calls for cornstarch or arrowroot, it's a hack). You want some of the harder, crisper ones like Fuji, Granny Smith, or Gold Delicious to provide a firm-fleshed texture to the meat of the filling. If you use all firm apples, your pie will likely be dry and stiff; if you use all soft apples, your pie will be soup. I like a 1:2 soft:firm ratio.

All the flavors matter, they'll add up to your overall flavor profile. When you're working out the pie you want to make, take your apple list and cut them into tiny pieces. Work out your ratio by having one of everything at once, and deciding what needs to be stronger (ie go from 1.1.1 to 1.2.1 to 2.2.1 to 2.3.1 etc until it's exactly what you want). Also, as a rule of thumb, I don't use more than one (good) Granny Smith per pie unless I'm trying to make something deliberately very tart. Rare are the people who enjoy a straight "Granny Smith pie" by itself, although of course there's always something to pair with it to take it from "ugh, puckery" to "oh these work well, I like it". Maybe a maple ice cream, or rum raisin? Something sweet and fatty will do the trick.

If you're making your own crust, try this sometime: take your usual recipe, switch all the water for dark rum, and make it in a food processor. Then leave it sealed in the refrigerator overnight for the flavor to develop (3 days is even better). The rum flavor adds a whole extra dimension to the pie, and alcohol is far superior to water when it comes to a flaky crust. It's all cooked out (leaving that great crust behind) so there's no problem serving children etc.

On the other hand, I'm also a big fan of adding raisins boiled in alcohol (til plump) to my pies. Sambuca, port or butterscotch schnappes are some of my favorites for this.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 16, 2012

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

CuddleChunks posted:

If you can afford the second mortgage on your house to afford enough apples to make a pie.

:( Oh honeycrisp, why must you taunt me with your delicious, expensive appleness?

What? Where are you that they're so expensive? I've never seen them priced a lot higher than other types in the stores around here.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Part 1 and Part 2 from the Food Lab on Serious Eats. A really interesting read regarding different types of apples for use in pie!

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Let's talk about fudge!

I'm gonna make two types of maple-bacon fudge this weekend. One with white chocolate and walnuts, and one with peanut butter and semi-sweet chips. Here's the thing. I've never made fudge. Am I supposed to bake it? I've seen multiple recipes say to bake it and multiple recipes to say not to. I think it'd probably be easier to not bake it, but I want to be on the safe side. :ohdear:

Also, I have real maple syrup. Does anyone how much maple syrup to use if a recipe calls for maple extract? I was just gonna pour it in until it tastes good.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Authentic fudge is tricky to make, especially for a beginner. It's easier and safer (no messing around with molten sugar) to make microwave fudge. Good eats has a good peanut butter fudge. The key is to have a fair bit of fat (peanut butter or white chocolate work), and to use icing sugar or superfine sugar: you want very tiny crystals of sugar surrounded by fat.

Maple syrup is a bad substitute for maple extract. Maple syrup has a lot of water and sugar compared to extract. You'd probably mess up a recipe if you tried to use it as a substitute without removing anything else. As a guess, I'd say you need maybe 10 times as much syrup as extract to get a similar maple flavour.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

What? Where are you that they're so expensive? I've never seen them priced a lot higher than other types in the stores around here.

Northern Idaho. Onions are gloriously cheap but Honeycrisp apples in particular are like gold up here. It's seriously annoying.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
poo poo, I'll FedEx you a case for cost if you want. That blows.

Onions make a horrible pie. :(

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Actually... Ive roasted shallots before for like, a big roast meat thing, and when they come out they taste sweet like apples...

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Which makes a fantastic cheesecake; the flavor keeps changing though, by day 4 or 5 it's much more bitterly onion-y.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I've made a caramelized onion and apple pie before. It's pretty tasty.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.
Thanks for all the info on apple pies. The Serious Eats blog mentioned that apple crisp is easier to make, so that's what I just stuck into the oven!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I bought pizza dough, sauce, and cheese from Trader Joe's a couple days back. I just tried making pizza with it, and the toppings and crust look okay - the crust was a little white looking, but the cheese looked great. Unfortunately, when I cut into the middle of the pizza, the crust at the bottom is flat and translucent, and it looks like its totally undercooked to me. What happened here? What's going on with the crust?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Pollyanna posted:

I bought pizza dough, sauce, and cheese from Trader Joe's a couple days back. I just tried making pizza with it, and the toppings and crust look okay - the crust was a little white looking, but the cheese looked great. Unfortunately, when I cut into the middle of the pizza, the crust at the bottom is flat and translucent, and it looks like its totally undercooked to me. What happened here? What's going on with the crust?

Sounds like the oven wasn't hot enough, using a pan instead of a stone, too many wet toppings in the middle of the pizza, or too little toppings, such that the stuff on top cooks faster than the crust. Give us a bit more info!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cooked on a metal pan looking thing covered with parchment paper (since it's filthy), probably more pizza sauce than needed, a lot of cheese (that is really loving hot ow). Maybe the yeast died or something? Also, I increased the temperature from 425 degrees to 500 degrees and burned the paper and the pizza as well. :downs:

gently caress it, I'll just starve tonight.

edit it looks like this:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 17, 2012

Spoon Man
Mar 15, 2003

You see the bottom 20% of the crust the looks cooked? Next time you'll want your crust to be 20% as think as that and you'll have no problem.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What's the cheapest way to make jerky with a high protein content? I'm thinking about getting a jerky gun for the dehydrator I picked up, and buying bulk ground turkey since it seems to be the best price point. Anything I'm missing here?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I would think you'd get higher protein by going with a lean cut of meat rather than ground meat.

danafish
Oct 6, 2009
Hello hello fine people of the forum -

I seldom contribute here out of combination shyness and a lack of a good camera that makes my food look appetizing, but I am an obsessive home cook and I spend hours poring through the recipe threads.

Just wondering - is there an ice cream thread anywhere on here at all? I have been getting full-on experimental with my frozen treats and am wondering if there's already a place to share recipes, discuss techniques and so on.

Thanks!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

danafish posted:

Hello hello fine people of the forum -

I seldom contribute here out of combination shyness and a lack of a good camera that makes my food look appetizing, but I am an obsessive home cook and I spend hours poring through the recipe threads.

Just wondering - is there an ice cream thread anywhere on here at all? I have been getting full-on experimental with my frozen treats and am wondering if there's already a place to share recipes, discuss techniques and so on.

Thanks!

I don't think I've seen an Ice Cream thread here before, but with the temperature changing, I think starting one would be a good idea.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

CzarChasm posted:

I don't think I've seen an Ice Cream thread here before, but with the temperature changing, I think starting one would be a good idea.

Potehto started one last year. It probably got purged.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Yeah, what DNF said. But as CzarChasm proposed, the turn in the weather (for us normal people up here in the Northern Hemisphere) suggests that an ice cream thread would be welcomed. Go post one! I need to make some ice cream myself.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

What's the cheapest way to make jerky with a high protein content? I'm thinking about getting a jerky gun for the dehydrator I picked up, and buying bulk ground turkey since it seems to be the best price point. Anything I'm missing here?

Don't make jerky with ground meat. Buy lean roasts. Beef round is my go-to, and it's not failed me. Cut to desired thickness, marinate, dehydrate.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Pollyanna posted:

Cooked on a metal pan looking thing covered with parchment paper (since it's filthy), probably more pizza sauce than needed, a lot of cheese (that is really loving hot ow). Maybe the yeast died or something? Also, I increased the temperature from 425 degrees to 500 degrees and burned the paper and the pizza as well. :downs:

gently caress it, I'll just starve tonight.

edit it looks like this:

Crust does look quite thick...you may want to thin it out a LOT. If you like thick crust, might I suggest par-baking the crust for maybe 5-8 minutes, taking it out, topping it, and then throwing it back in to finish. That'll let the crust finish baking before the toppings turn black.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doh004 posted:

Anyone have any experience with curing your own olives? Is there a good place to buy them online? I checked the jammin' thread and there wasn't any mention of it.

No luck with this one? :saddowns:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Playing with my Foodsaver. Am I imagining things, or does vacuum sealing and then freezing meats sort of dry them out?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Playing with my Foodsaver. Am I imagining things, or does vacuum sealing and then freezing meats sort of dry them out?

It kind of does the opposite, at least versus just chucking it into a zip loc bag.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Maybe it's just the marinade I'm using then...

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

poo poo, I'll FedEx you a case for cost if you want. That blows.

:) That's very kind of you. Maybe I'm just hitting them when they're out of season. I'll check the store again and see if I'm hallucinating the prices or something.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

rj54x posted:

Don't make jerky with ground meat. Buy lean roasts. Beef round is my go-to, and it's not failed me. Cut to desired thickness, marinate, dehydrate.

If you use ground meat, don't you end up making somethibg more like pemmican, too?

thefoozl
Nov 9, 2010
Can I stuff chicken breasts with (cooked and well drained) spinach, or will that just go soggy and bad? They'll also be wrapped in bacon.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Cooked spinach is goo, plan accordingly; it could be soggy and awesome, bad's not necessarily invited. Consider stuffing them with uncooked spinach, or adding roasted breadcrumbs to the spinach goo before stuffing. The bacon is incidental.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Who the hell was it that ate the ghost peppers from gws and put it on youtube? I can't find the videos. help?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Who the hell was it that ate the ghost peppers from gws and put it on youtube? I can't find the videos. help?
It was the heroic Gourd of Space, here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1E2INbrnDw

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The Macaroni posted:

It was the heroic Gourd of Space, here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1E2INbrnDw

Appreciate it muchly. Thanks :)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

rj54x posted:

Shucks, ok. I'll have to start looking for specials on beef round it sounds like. Any tips on marinades to try out? I'd like to keep low sodium if at all possible, but I'm betting salt is part of the key to this whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Macaroni posted:

And I'm the one who gave him the idea to try both, for :science:
:3: