Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I actually like the web client, I mean it's poo poo in IE<any version> but works well in any modern chrome or firefox version

Counterpoint: no it doesn't. And in cases like these, bad anecdotes outweigh good anecdotes.

Number19 posted:

I'm a big fan of it randomly deciding to refresh the entire VM list and spend a long time "locating <vm>" which has nothing at all to do with what I was working on. Then when it's done it selects a completely different VM from the one I had selected and takes me to the Monitoring tab.

I am using Chrome on a machine with lots of RAM and an SSD and it's still Real Bad.
My favorite is that you can't open a console of a VM until it's powered on, and since powering on a VM causes a refresh of the whole list like you describe and makes the whole web client unusable for 10-15 seconds, there's no hope in seeing any errors that occur right at start up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Erwin posted:

My favorite is that you can't open a console of a VM until it's powered on, and since powering on a VM causes a refresh of the whole list like you describe and makes the whole web client unusable for 10-15 seconds, there's no hope in seeing any errors that occur right at start up.

Well...you should be setting a 5 second BIOS boot delay to make sure you have time to intervene. I think I use 10 now because it's a lot more annoying to have to reboot the machine again to catch the error and/or press buttons.

Also, you can select a bunch of VMs and power them on easily enough but you can't do the same to power them off :shepface:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Erwin posted:

What version are you on? 5.5 u1b? VCSA or windows?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Number19 posted:

Well...you should be setting a 5 second BIOS boot delay to make sure you have time to intervene. I think I use 10 now because it's a lot more annoying to have to reboot the machine again to catch the error and/or press buttons.
Well, I don't actually have to do it that often, it's just a comment on how in the thick client I can open a console and then power the VM on and watch the whole process.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Has anyone used LSI's cachecade with esxi? Will it only work inside a vm or can the entire system take advantage of it? It looks like it will be used via guest os somehow and I'd rather not get hopes up if it can't accelerate all of the guests or won't work right with VMware sitting between it and the card. There's info about VMware VSA out thee and plain windows, just not much on this type of setup.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I'm on 5.5 right now (waiting for NetApp to add 5.5 U1 to the compatibility matrix) so maybe it's a bit better on U1? Somehow I doubt it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

Has anyone used LSI's cachecade with esxi? Will it only work inside a vm or can the entire system take advantage of it? It looks like it will be used via guest os somehow and I'd rather not get hopes up if it can't accelerate all of the guests or won't work right with VMware sitting between it and the card. There's info about VMware VSA out thee and plain windows, just not much on this type of setup.

You are talking about Cachecade Pro 2.0?

If you are, OS (in this case, VMware) doesn't have any knowledge at all of it. As far as VMWare is concerned, it's just a normal volume and the controller utilizes the SSDs to cache. It's completely transparent to anything running on it.

Any workload on any OS supported by the card should benefit from it.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Erwin posted:

Counterpoint: no it doesn't. And in cases like these, bad anecdotes outweigh good anecdotes.
You're my favourite grump in this thread.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Kachunkachunk posted:

You're my favourite grump in this thread.

The webclient looks awful next to the clean vsphere client. It looks like SCVMM, which feels cluttered.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
eh never mind, I have my own opinions on the web client and others have theirs.

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004
How unfortunate for you then, again, that their opinions are at least based upon facts.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

The web client is a piece of poo poo, which is a shame when it could be much better and actually useable.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

ihafarm posted:

How unfortunate for you then, again, that their opinions are at least based upon facts.
My history with that poster is well documented but even I think this is uncalled for. Does this mean I'm changing? :(

That said yeah the web client is in all ways terrible.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So has anyone came across what seems like a corrupt vmdk before?

I have a VM that has been running on old hardware (and local storage) with an uptime of like 3 years. I am currently in the process of getting these VMs out of that environment and into our actual production environment.

Storage vMotion Fails. Error stack shows "Disk clone failed. SvMotion Failed. Cause: Input/Output error"
Doing a straight clone of the VM fails showing "Error caused by file: /vmfs/bla/bla.vmdk"
Attempted a single backup with VeeamZip, fails with VDDK error: Unable to retrieve next block transmission.

I was able to SvMotion a different VM from that datastore without issues, so I the issue is only involving that single VM.

I am now scared to power off the VM, if something in there is corrupt and it needs to read that to boot up, in a little bit of trouble.

We have some application level backups, but currently don't have a way to restore the appliance itself, so I am currently in a holding pattern.

angus725
Jan 5, 2014

For testing purposes, is it possible to install Hyper-V server 2012 in a VMware Workstation VM?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

angus725 posted:

For testing purposes, is it possible to install Hyper-V server 2012 in a VMware Workstation VM?

Yes.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/22283.how-to-install-hyper-v-on-vmware-workstation-10.aspx

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Moey posted:

I have a VM that has been running on old hardware (and local storage) with an uptime of like 3 years. I am currently in the process of getting these VMs out of that environment and into our actual production environment.

Storage vMotion Fails. Error stack shows "Disk clone failed. SvMotion Failed. Cause: Input/Output error"
Doing a straight clone of the VM fails showing "Error caused by file: /vmfs/bla/bla.vmdk"
Attempted a single backup with VeeamZip, fails with VDDK error: Unable to retrieve next block transmission.

I was able to SvMotion a different VM from that datastore without issues, so I the issue is only involving that single VM.

I am now scared to power off the VM, if something in there is corrupt and it needs to read that to boot up, in a little bit of trouble.

We have some application level backups, but currently don't have a way to restore the appliance itself, so I am currently in a holding pattern.

Does this VM have any snaps or is it asking for anything like "needs consolidation"?

ihafarm posted:

Honestly I haven't had bad experiences with the web client post 5.1, so I am speaking from facts based on what I have seen. However I don't know what everyones browser configurations are, personally the only thing I run aside from flash and reader plugins is ABP.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 17, 2014

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Does this VM have any snaps or is it asking for anything like "needs consolidation"?

Shoot, forgot to add that. No snapshots. Created a few and blew them away as well while troubleshooting. Browsing the datastore didn't show any abnormal files.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Moey posted:

Shoot, forgot to add that. No snapshots. Created a few and blew them away as well while troubleshooting. Browsing the datastore didn't show any abnormal files.

Have you tried checking the metadata?

Here's how:
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2036767

Additionally you could clone the running VM to another datastore that's powered off but I'm not sure you would want to do that if you are facing potential data corruption.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Have you tried checking the metadata?

Here's how:
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2036767

Additionally you could clone the running VM to another datastore that's powered off but I'm not sure you would want to do that if you are facing potential data corruption.

Looks like VOMA was introduced in 5.1, the host that this thing is currently stuck on is 4.1 (hasn't been touched in years).

Already tried cloning it to the desired datastore, fails.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
If ever in doubt, use Converter on the VM before changing its power state so you have a copy of its data.

If it's been vMotioning fine, you're probably okay (each host it vMotions to is essentially powering it on again and transferring in memory, so it's still pretty involved from a VMFS standpoint).

VMDKs themselves don't really corrupt, so it'd either be a VMFS layer metadata problem, something's up with a descriptor file, or some other non-critical component is acting up. The VM is able to read and write, so that's already 99% of the important stuff out of the way. Worst case scenario, you take the flat file and make a new descriptor and VM for it.

To also note, once you start worrying about metadata corruption, you may need to begin questioning whether VMs on the datastore (or elsewhere) also suffered from invisible corruption.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Kachunkachunk posted:

If ever in doubt, use Converter on the VM before changing its power state so you have a copy of its data.

If it's been vMotioning fine, you're probably okay (each host it vMotions to is essentially powering it on again and transferring in memory, so it's still pretty involved from a VMFS standpoint).

VMDKs themselves don't really corrupt, so it'd either be a VMFS layer metadata problem, something's up with a descriptor file, or some other non-critical component is acting up. The VM is able to read and write, so that's already 99% of the important stuff out of the way. Worst case scenario, you take the flat file and make a new descriptor and VM for it.

To also note, once you start worrying about metadata corruption, you may need to begin questioning whether VMs on the datastore (or elsewhere) also suffered from invisible corruption.

I'll give the converter a shot. It is a Cisco Unity appliance, so it is CentOS from what I have heard. Can't vMotion it because it is running on local storage. There was only one other VM on that local datastore and it has already been SvMotioned off of there.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
How does VMware handle VARs reselling licenses?

Right now I have the option of getting quotes through Fusionstorm, CDW, Dell and VMware themselves.

I guess our IT manager was going through CDW, and I was going through Dell/Fusionstorm.

I guess both he and I are looking for the pricing on the same thing (Std/Enterprise Kit licensing for vSphere) and I got a call from a frustrated Dell rep saying that since someone else had asked for pricing, VMware had locked him out of getting a better rate on his pricing.

Is it generally better to go to multiple vendors for quote, or in this case is it better to stick with one vendor for everything?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I was under the impression Dell licenses were OEM (maybe only if bundled with a server), thus your support is through Dell, not VMware. Never had to test this, but we have two sockets that purchased with a server through Dell.

For the rest of our VMware stuff, it all goes through CDW.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Question about logging into ESXi through 3rd party programs. I took over in a new job and the old admin had everything under his name. The network admin disabled the old guys access to VMWare, gave my account admin rights and I can get into the vSphere client just fine and create/delete VMs, upload to datastores, and do whatever I need to do. However, if I use the same credentials in Spiceworks to inventory the actual physical servers Spiceworks says there's a login error. Is there a different type of account I need to use to do this?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Wicaeed posted:

How does VMware handle VARs reselling licenses?

Right now I have the option of getting quotes through Fusionstorm, CDW, Dell and VMware themselves.

I guess our IT manager was going through CDW, and I was going through Dell/Fusionstorm.

I guess both he and I are looking for the pricing on the same thing (Std/Enterprise Kit licensing for vSphere) and I got a call from a frustrated Dell rep saying that since someone else had asked for pricing, VMware had locked him out of getting a better rate on his pricing.

Is it generally better to go to multiple vendors for quote, or in this case is it better to stick with one vendor for everything?

I can't speak to VMware in particular, but yes, that is a thing with channel sales. It's called deal registration. If you get a quote from a VAR for a specific item, they register the quote with the vendor and get exclusivity on the deal and/or a priority discount that other VAR's are not eligible for on your particular deal. It's good for the vendor and partners, kind of sucks for you since shopping around becomes pointless. Not sure how it's not basically illegal price fixing, but it's a common practice. Not all vendors do it, but enough that you need to be aware of it.

So yes, it's generally better to pick a VAR you like and stick with them.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
CDW will probably give you close to if not the best pricing aside from buying it on hardware.

A VAR/MSP will give you a good price + potential local support where CDW/HW vendors won't.

Yaos posted:

Question about logging into ESXi through 3rd party programs. I took over in a new job and the old admin had everything under his name. The network admin disabled the old guys access to VMWare, gave my account admin rights and I can get into the vSphere client just fine and create/delete VMs, upload to datastores, and do whatever I need to do. However, if I use the same credentials in Spiceworks to inventory the actual physical servers Spiceworks says there's a login error. Is there a different type of account I need to use to do this?

Check to make sure the spicework services aren't running under the old admins user account.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

CDW will probably give you close to if not the best pricing aside from buying it on hardware.

A VAR/MSP will give you a good price + potential local support where CDW/HW vendors won't.

Check to make sure the spicework services aren't running under the old admins user account.
Forgot to say that Spiceworks is new and I just set it up on Monday. Sorry!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Moey posted:

I was under the impression Dell licenses were OEM (maybe only if bundled with a server), thus your support is through Dell, not VMware. Never had to test this, but we have two sockets that purchased with a server through Dell.

For the rest of our VMware stuff, it all goes through CDW.

Dell can do it either way. They can sell it OEM so that your support goes through them, or they can just be a VMware reseller.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Moey posted:

I'll give the converter a shot. It is a Cisco Unity appliance, so it is CentOS from what I have heard. Can't vMotion it because it is running on local storage. There was only one other VM on that local datastore and it has already been SvMotioned off of there.

No dice on this. The appliance is pretty heavily modified so when I SSH into there, it launches some fake CLI. Converter can't connect to it.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Moey posted:

No dice on this. The appliance is pretty heavily modified so when I SSH into there, it launches some fake CLI. Converter can't connect to it.

Uhh other than shutting it down and clonezilla'ing it I'm not sure.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Uhh other than shutting it down and clonezilla'ing it I'm not sure.

Yeah, it is the reboot after shutdown that I was scared of.

Thanks to a pal, I was able to get a new installer. Saved my rear end.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Dell can do it either way. They can sell it OEM so that your support goes through them, or they can just be a VMware reseller.

Although one interesting slightly related fact, Dell will support you with your ESXi questions even if you bought it with Windows on it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any reason that a 2012R2 "template" VM wouldn't be configured by vCenter properly? I deploy it, go through the customization spec wizard, and it still deploys with the default template settings -- template name, IP is still DHCP, etc. I haven't checked if the SID has been changed or not.

It seems to take its Windows key correctly, however, but I can't tell is that's because I input it into the wizard or whether it's because the template used the same key.

edit: Oh wait, I think it customized itself after I manually rebooted the newly deployed VM? :confused:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 19, 2014

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

Moey posted:

I had a corrupt VMDK. Confirmed by VMware. Had to rebuild the box - the C drive was disk 1. Strangely the D drive was not corrupted.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Prefacing all of this by stating that I know next to nothing about virtualization, and if I should be looking elsewhere for what's basically tech support please ignore me with my complements.

Anyway, at my job I have (had) access to a virtual server which has basically just been a big network share for various desktop deployment/migration things. I'm the only one that ever uses it so if my problem can't be fixed, no big deal.

I was reinstalling Microsoft Deployment Toolkit on there and at the end it requested a reboot. Given that it's just mine, I rebooted the machine, waited a couple of minutes, went to remote into it, and it wasn't up. Asked my boss, he brought up the vSphere client and told me it was showing "OS not found." That was the only change that I'm aware of making. He'll be the first to admit that he doesn't know much about VMware, and he knows more than me, so we're stuck.

So:

VMWare - had a virtualized Windows Server 2012 box running.
Uninstalled Microsoft Deployment Toolkit, did a reboot.
Will no longer boot - tries to do a network boot and fails.

The vmdk is still there... BIOS boot settings look right (I think)... I guess I'm just wondering if there's any stupid/quick things I should look at before having him rebuild it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

TeMpLaR posted:

I had a corrupt VMDK. Confirmed by VMware. Had to rebuild the box - the C drive was disk 1. Strangely the D drive was not corrupted.

I am moving forward with a data migration tonight, the appliance level backups seem to complete fine so I think we will be good. Still would love to know what actually happened with it. Once I have functionality verified, I'll go ahead and start prodding the jacked up VM and see what happens.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

The vmdk is still there... BIOS boot settings look right (I think)... I guess I'm just wondering if there's any stupid/quick things I should look at before having him rebuild it.

You can relink the VMDK to another running VM to see if the data is still there. If it is, then boot from an ISO and try the windows boot repair tools.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

I have a newbie VMWare 5.1 question. I've taken over for somebody else so I'm having to get up to speed quick on VMWare. I've been reading through Master VMware vSphere 5.5 to help me out.

I have a VM running Windows 2008 in VMWare that says it is using 727.17 GB in the vSphere client. On the VM there's a C drive with 77.1 GB free out of 99.8 GB, and a D drive with 1.11 TB free out of 1.21. That's only about 130 GB of used space, where did the rest of the space go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Yaos posted:

I have a newbie VMWare 5.1 question. I've taken over for somebody else so I'm having to get up to speed quick on VMWare. I've been reading through Master VMware vSphere 5.5 to help me out.

I have a VM running Windows 2008 in VMWare that says it is using 727.17 GB in the vSphere client. On the VM there's a C drive with 77.1 GB free out of 99.8 GB, and a D drive with 1.11 TB free out of 1.21. That's only about 130 GB of used space, where did the rest of the space go?

I'm not at my lab right now, but I think you can go into the datastore browser and see the size for all the vm files.

That might point you in the right direction if you notice an unusually large file or a bunch of snapshots or something.