Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

xutech posted:

the early areas were rebalanced

back in beta/at launch/until that recent patch, that poo poo was punishing, and I think that turned a lot of potential players off. gave me a sad. good to hear current newbies are less shellshocked, although entirely for my own reasons I'll always treasure the tacklable intensity of the old game. it's the only MMO I've ever seen to have explicit gameplay/story integration (the fact that PCs can't die is part of the plot, and people talk about it, which I love), but beyond that, its unravel-the-mysteries conspiracy narrative seemed to fit rull well with a game where you had to be on your toes to survive.

but that's niche, and MMOs can't afford to be niche, and all the awesome monologues and worldbuilding are still there even without the sharp difficulty spike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

You know what I just realized? Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back around the first issue I remember reading that quest givers will eventually die and make those quests go away forever as part of the story. Then Joel got put in charge and he believes in no missable content ever so that's not going to ever happen ):

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Missable content is a terrible idea though, for MMOs anyway. (insert "TSW shouldn't be an MMO" rant here)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

orcane posted:

Missable content is a terrible idea though, for MMOs anyway. (insert "TSW shouldn't be an MMO" rant here)

The example they gave was the writer in the lighthouse (Kreig?) got killed which would turn into a whole quest chain on its own

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

crawlkill posted:

it's the only MMO I've ever seen to have explicit gameplay/story integration (the fact that PCs can't die is part of the plot, and people talk about it, which I love), but beyond that, its unravel-the-mysteries conspiracy narrative seemed to fit rull well with a game where you had to be on your toes to survive.

It's the only mmo where I actually looked for missions and did chains and really read the stories. Sure, I might look up the solution (esp if it's bugged or counter intuitive) but I still felt invested.

I wish they added some of the advances of other mmos, such as getting a reward for deciding to shoot a bunch of something (hey, you killed 20 draugr for no reason, have some XP) but the repeating mission thing is good too.

I'd like to see more paranormal missions that aren't part of the overarching meta story. Simple stuff like looking for yetis or UFOS. X-files stuff. Instead of the same bad guys everywhere. Sometimes it's like watching the teenage mutant ninja turtles cartoon, where everytime something happens, it's the shredder or krang.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Len posted:

You know what I just realized? Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back around the first issue I remember reading that quest givers will eventually die and make those quests go away forever as part of the story. Then Joel got put in charge and he believes in no missable content ever so that's not going to ever happen ):

I think this made more sense when they were still optimistic that the game could sustain enough subscribers to continue putting out free issues all the time.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

xutech posted:

It's the only mmo where I actually looked for missions and did chains and really read the stories. Sure, I might look up the solution (esp if it's bugged or counter intuitive) but I still felt invested.

I wish they added some of the advances of other mmos, such as getting a reward for deciding to shoot a bunch of something (hey, you killed 20 draugr for no reason, have some XP) but the repeating mission thing is good too.

Repeating missions is so great, and now that I've gotten back into WoW, I really appreciate it. If only you could repeat the main storyline missions... (They've said they're working on it, but I'm sure that means it's one item on a long list of stuff that might happen "someday".)

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Len posted:

This may keep some vets happy but it's a barrier to entry for new players and an even worse barrier for people who quit the game for a bit.

GW2 tried this with the whole Living Story shtick where they swapped out content for new content every two weeks as the story advanced. This went on until their metrics showed that players who missed some of the content didn't feel incentivised to log in so they wouldn't miss the rest, but rather went "ehh i've already missed some and I'm gonna be lost so gently caress it" and didn't log in at all. So the new season has everything repeatable and instanced, and it doesn't go away.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

The example they gave was the writer in the lighthouse (Kreig?) got killed which would turn into a whole quest chain on its own

If there was a mechanic to return NPCs or whatnot and restore the original missions, sure. Guild Wars 2 attempts a similar things with their events, if you fail eg. an enemy raid on an outpost, you will eventually get another chain of events to take the outpost back and turn it into a friendly place (until next time the defense event fails, that is). But "sorry Not Steven King died, you can never do his questline again but here's a different one" wouldn't be very cool.

E: and yeah what Kessel said, that's cool if you're around for all of it: "hey I did the original questline but now the NPC died and we got a new one!" is rad. On the other hand some guy joins the game "too late" and now it's "there used to be this cool questline, sorry you missed it, now there's another one". Works in WoW because everyone is just chasing the latest raid epics and few quests they replaced in revamps went beyond "kill ten rats" fare, might not work in a story-driven B2P game - if it keeps happening to new players or those taking breaks, they probably quit altogether instead of waiting around for the next big lasting event.

orcane fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 28, 2015

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

also if you've already spent dev time on content, why take it away

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Look I just want a reason to go back to Solomon Island because it was my favorite zone and the xp/quest rewards there are dick.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Len posted:

Look I just want a reason to go back to Solomon Island because it was my favorite zone and the xp/quest rewards there are dick.

You could always farm the airport! :suicide:

Maybe if they had a rotating schedule, like Not Stephen King is alive for May to August, during August he has a quest that results in him dying, September through December he's dead and you're chasing the conspiracy that killed him, In December you have the endgame of that questline, then January-April is a questline to bring him back. Maybe with a paid content thing to set the game's timeframe so you could blast through all three lines in a day if you wanted.

Contributes a lot to that sense of stasis most MMOs have if his death doesn't wind up meaning anything, but I'd have to agree that it's better to have no missable content than to drive away people that missed bits of it or never saw it at all.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Games have solved this with phasing NPCs. The first time you run into Not Stephen King he gives you the first set of quests, then you finish it and he dies tragically and you move onto the second set of quests from Zombie Stephen King.

If you really, really, really enjoy replay value you can even have it cycle around to Not Stephen King once you've finished the whole drat thing.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ideally I'd just have phases to give people the feeling of progression, then add a way to access all phases for repeating their favourite missions. WoW kinda does this nowadays by destroying poo poo in launch events and what not, but leaving an NPC up that shows you the "past" in which you can complete quests and whatever. Add the ghost of the author once everything was done once, so you can redo both, idk.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
I like how wildstar handled dynamic changes in the story. The game itself would hide actors and scenery to the individual player based on where they are in the story. Adopt a feature like this that simulates a story, kill people and such. Then when everything is said and done, bring them all back for replayability.

One of the in-game plot devices is that Agartha not only transports the players in space, but also time. Using that, make several versions of each zone at different times. Lets go all Ocarina of Time on this dead monster.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Len posted:

Once you complete the story every quest in the game gives you as much as missions in carpathian fangs, depending on what kind of mission they are. Boom, fixed.

Also what up kingsmouth is the best zone buddy :hfive:

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

HughGRect posted:

I like how wildstar handled dynamic changes in the story. The game itself would hide actors and scenery to the individual player based on where they are in the story. Adopt a feature like this that simulates a story, kill people and such. Then when everything is said and done, bring them all back for replayability.

One of the in-game plot devices is that Agartha not only transports the players in space, but also time. Using that, make several versions of each zone at different times. Lets go all Ocarina of Time on this dead monster.

That is the phasing system we're talking about, where each player sees a different version of the playfield based on what they have and haven't done. I wish more games would adopt it but it's definitely an extra layer of technical challenge that I wouldn't trust Funcom with

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Kessel posted:

That is the phasing system we're talking about, where each player sees a different version of the playfield based on what they have and haven't done. I wish more games would adopt it but it's definitely an extra layer of technical challenge that I wouldn't trust Funcom with

It has its downsides though, phasing in wow pandaria zones lead to some frustration for me when I couldn't group up with my friends because we were on an arbitrarily different stage of some bullshit quest chain and just plain couldn't see each other.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Len posted:

A lot of the things that Tornquist & Co. said when the game was first released didn't pan out. (Monthly issues, questgivers dieing, city hubs changing and evolving over time, etc.)

They made plans assuming they'd have many times more people working on the game than they do now. Funcom was expecting a hit with this game and didn't get one, so it's barely keeping itself afloat.

I wouldn't blame that one on Joel. He inherited far fewer resources than his predecessor had.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

macnbc posted:

A lot of the things that Tornquist & Co. said when the game was first released didn't pan out. (Monthly issues, questgivers dieing, city hubs changing and evolving over time, etc.)

They made plans assuming they'd have many times more people working on the game than they do now. Funcom was expecting a hit with this game and didn't get one, so it's barely keeping itself afloat.

I wouldn't blame that one on Joel. He inherited far fewer resources than his predecessor had.

London has cats that came after launch, Level-lution baby!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

The starting zone was rebalanced? That explains why the new character I just started with poo poo weapon picks is mowing down things just as easily as my first character who had an "everything dies" chaos/shotgun build.

Anyone with an open-to-Templars cabal around? I think this is how I'll waste my free time until summer semester starts.

e: Oh god, I've just spent my bonus points on clothes.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 1, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Hello Sailor posted:

e: Oh god, I've just spent my bonus points on clothes.

IT BEGINS :sparkles:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Surprised nobody's said anything here, but Issue 11 is now live.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

macnbc posted:

Ooh neat. Maybe I'll sign in this weekend and do the Tokyo stuff I didn't do.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I guess I still have to deal with the bullshit Tokyo mechanics, so... no thanks.

E: Also it will never not be funny they want more than the monthly subscriber points for these lovely "collector's edition" upgrades.

orcane fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 6, 2015

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Is TSW actually having some kinda revival? It seems like they're actively updating it now, and that the content isn't as poo poo as Scenarios.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Len posted:

Quest givers should be able to die, but then you should be able to hold a seance to contact their ghost and get the quest afterwards :cheeky:

Elswyyr posted:

Is TSW actually having some kinda revival? It seems like they're actively updating it now, and that the content isn't as poo poo as Scenarios.

More like they're just doing their best to hang in there like they always have, but it does seem that some of the changes are working.

They just had a really favorable article on rock, paper, shotgun which doesn't hurt.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Elswyyr posted:

I think the barren period was when Funcom was restructuring and shifting development to the US. Now that they've settled I think they've been able to get the pipeline going again. (Even if it's at a trickle.)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
So the barren period was between 1 month after launch until two months ago?

Edit: So is there a way to make this game not look like a blurry piece of poo poo all the time? I can't remember it looking THAT bad but goddamn...

orcane fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 6, 2015

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

orcane posted:

So the barren period was between 1 month after launch until two months ago?

Edit: So is there a way to make this game not look like a blurry piece of poo poo all the time? I can't remember it looking THAT bad but goddamn...

They managed to keep their "monthly issues" promise until December 2012, a full 5 months post-launch, actually.
It was about that time that Funcom had their massive layoffs, and it wasn't until early last year that they fully moved development over to the US.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Okay I am getting my rear end handed to me by stuff in the tower. I can manage well everywhere else in Tokyo but the protector and then the robot at the end both kick my rear end. I just do solo content but I'm mostly in quest purples at this point. I'm using a shotgun/pistol build with mainly heal on crit/pen passives. Any suggestions or do I just need to grind AEGIS levels more?

e: This is the build I'm using.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 7, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Awww gently caress I'm going to have to deal with things like death again. Such an inconvenience.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the state of the endgame like as a goon these days? I'm currently playing a new character in Blue Mountain

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I might have to put down GTA for a little bit and try the update. The trailer they put together for #11 seems a little crap though. Maybe it's to try to appeal to a wider customer base than X-Files fans.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

macnbc posted:

I got the email as well and was wondering if anyone had finished it. Is it worth redownloading the game just to see Tokyo and how the first 'season' wrapped up?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Okay, so I'm getting back into the game and currently taking a character into the Savage Coast. It looks like Past-Serf was doing some weird gimmick build with Elementalism/Rifles that centers around Strike attacks. One thing I'm noticing is that enemies die very fast to my builder, but I take a lot of damage, and my heal is Shot of Anima, which is tied to Rifle resources that accumulate per-target. So basically I'm ending fights quickly but with low health, and unless there's a tough enemy to use Shot of Anima on, I kinda have to just wait for out-of-combat regen to take effect. Is there a different healing weapon that pairs well with Elementalism that also uses universal resources that I could sub in? I'm also sorely lacking in AOE, but really I might change up my whole build.

Also, is there a goon chat in the game for anyone who's on or maybe a cabal that's still active? I have the lifetime sub, and I figure I might as well jump back in when everyone is talking about it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
eat more tacos

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Tollymain posted:

eat more tacos

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Tollymain posted:

eat more tacos

Hot dogs and Korean food are also acceptable, but you don't get a hat for them.

They should add a hotdog suit and something for the Korean food thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Serf posted:

Also, is there a goon chat in the game for anyone who's on or maybe a cabal that's still active? I have the lifetime sub, and I figure I might as well jump back in when everyone is talking about it.

Not really... I know there was a global chat channel we all used but it was empty last time I played

• Locked thread