Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh Jesus.

Ok thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elitotaco
Apr 25, 2003
iOS 10 installed on an iPad Pro 9.7. Let's see how long this takes to scan...

edit: ok it took 20min to scan 6 photos so far

elitotaco fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 14, 2016

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

elitotaco posted:

iOS 10 installed on an iPad Pro 9.7. Let's see how long this takes to scan...

edit: ok it took 20min to scan 6 photos so far

I like mine with it so far but I'm sad there's no raise to wake yet.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Weedle posted:

I loaded up my 64GB iPad with games and now I have like 5 GB free

And I loaded mine up with music software and synths and now I have to cycle my storage.

Different horses for different courses, I guess.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I'm going to need a Pencil to draw more anatomically correct dicks with Digital Touch

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

eddiewalker posted:

I'm going to need a Pencil to draw more anatomically correct dicks with Digital Touch

because you know Apple is tracking all that stuff, I want to know how many dick drawings have been sent in the past couple days.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

because you know Apple is tracking all that stuff, I want to know how many dick drawings have been sent in the past couple days.
Extrapolating from how many my friend and I drew the other day, there must be millions of dicks per second.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

I have to believe it was the first thing everyone drew.

.. by which I mean it was the first thing I drew.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Unless Apple is lying about iMessage having end-to-end encryption, they can't possibly be tracking it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Unless Apple is lying about iMessage having end-to-end encryption, they can't possibly be tracking it.

They /know/

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

eddiewalker posted:

That's literally the first thing I did after loading iOS 10 on my Pro. I'm terrible.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Oh god it didn't even occur to me that I can use the new ios10 messaging features with my apple pencil.

Finally another use for it besides adult coloring books!

I am drawing SO MANY penises tonight

PS: What else should I use this pencil for I never use it

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I feel like my Pencil would not be anywhere near worth its price point if I wasn't an active, like, drawer of things. Half the time I'm not tweeting some bullshit, I'm drawing something.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I use it for everything so my greasy hands don't leave any smudges on that sexy big screen.

Also for notes and marking up PDFs, mainly.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I use it for that too, but I fully realize that a 10 or 5 dollar stylus would be good at that as well. It's the lil drawing at an edge poo poo or the almost nonexistent lag that really does it. If I had no interest in those, I don't know if I'd care to pay an additional $95 for it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Wait wait you guys sit around using the apple pencil just to like... control the ipad? Is that a joke or are you guys being serious

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I don't, but styluses have been around as long as the iPad, so it's not surprising.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I do that with my stylus when I'm cooking and using the iPad for recipes

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

I use it for that too, but I fully realize that a 10 or 5 dollar stylus would be good at that as well.

Bullshit. If you do a ton of on-the-fly note taking and diagramming then the little differences between something like an Apple Pencil and even the fanciest $60 "dumb" stylus make all the difference in the world.

Going from something like an Adonit Jot Pro to a Pencil/Surface Pen is like a night and day shift both in terms of how natural and quick it feels to write and what the written or sketched product actually winds up looking like.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I'm not really doing anything extensive within a PDF to justify even a Jot Pro. I'm drawing arrows, highlighting things and writing like one or two words. A $99 Pencil wouldn't be justifiable if that's all I was doing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'm not really doing anything extensive within a PDF to justify even a Jot Pro. I'm drawing arrows, highlighting things and writing like one or two words. A $99 Pencil wouldn't be justifiable if that's all I was doing.

Get OneNote.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I'm already using Notability.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Just moved my mum from a Macbook air 13" to an iPad Air 2 in an attempt to make things easier for her since she's used to her iPhone 5c now and I came back home this time and found 3 viruses on the laptop.

First thing she asks is "how do i get whatsapp on it?" – a reasonable enquiry – so I look at the Appstore and then I discover there is no official app for it on iPad and all there are are apps that reverse engineer the loving web interface (Yet there is an officially supported whatsapp Application for OS X).

Download an app and its got ads (naturally). Pay £2.50 for the ads to be removed and then it doesn't loving remove them in the app. Also the interface in the app is laggy and poo poo. Needs not suited.

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 18, 2016

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Entropy238 posted:

Just moved my mum from a Macbook air 13" to an iPad Air 2 in an attempt to make things easier for her since she's used to her iPhone 5c now and I came back home this time and found 3 viruses on the laptop.

First thing she asks is "how do i get whatsapp on it?" – a reasonable enquiry – so I look at the Appstore and then I discover there is no official app for it on iPad and all there are are apps that reverse engineer the loving web interface (Yet there is an officially supported whatsapp Application for OS X).

Download an app and its got ads (naturally). Pay £2.50 for the ads to be removed and then it doesn't loving remove them in the app. Also the interface in the app is laggy and poo poo. Needs not suited.

At the top left of the App Store interface is a button that says "iPad only." Hit this to change it to "iPhone only" and you'll see the official WhatsApp app. Since it's not optimized for iPad it's just a blown-up version of the iPhone app, but it's probably still better than some third-party nightmare.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Weedle posted:

At the top left of the App Store interface is a button that says "iPad only." Hit this to change it to "iPhone only" and you'll see the official WhatsApp app. Since it's not optimized for iPad it's just a blown-up version of the iPhone app, but it's probably still better than some third-party nightmare.

I've tried this but the official whatsapp app doesn't appear, guess they must have disabled it.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

how do you get viruses on a macbook?

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

dik-dik posted:

how do you get viruses on a macbook?

They were browser hijackers that had been installed/bundled through other applications.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think whatsapp is somehow bound to a phone number

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Regular Nintendo posted:

I think whatsapp is somehow bound to a phone number

That's a shame, because the officially supported application on the laptop works perfectly fine :shrug:

idk seems like they're missing a trick

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Has anyone had any overheating issues since updating to ios10? I used my ipad outside for a gig yesterday and it overheated - could have potentially been awful since it was right in the middle of a wedding. I have not had that happen before, even in direct sunlight. I have also noticed that even inside it seems to be running hotter than usual. This is on a large ipad pro btw.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

rio posted:

Has anyone had any overheating issues since updating to ios10? I used my ipad outside for a gig yesterday and it overheated - could have potentially been awful since it was right in the middle of a wedding. I have not had that happen before, even in direct sunlight. I have also noticed that even inside it seems to be running hotter than usual. This is on a large ipad pro btw.

Wouldn't have happened to have just updated recently would you? If it's just been upgraded it could be spotlight reindexing everything.

I had an issue with my phone on iOS 10 this morning. My phone was burning hot while browsing the web, restarted and it's been fine. So iOS 10 may have some heating issues or out of control process issues.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

It was the following day. I will try restarting - my phone has been hotter than normal as well.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Might also be the photo indexing, which depending on your stash might take several days.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Speaking of which, has anyone else felt like their iPad has gone to poo poo battery wise since iOS 10? I've had it since the GM went out to public beta testers and its felt like I've lost about two to three hours of battery life from my Air 2. I didn't change any settings or do anything different, it just feels like it dies so much faster. I had to charge like once a week and now it's closer to every other day.

Anyone else having a battery issue?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

SaturdayKnight posted:

Speaking of which, has anyone else felt like their iPad has gone to poo poo battery wise since iOS 10? I've had it since the GM went out to public beta testers and its felt like I've lost about two to three hours of battery life from my Air 2. I didn't change any settings or do anything different, it just feels like it dies so much faster. I had to charge like once a week and now it's closer to every other day.

Anyone else having a battery issue?

I've had a sneaking suspicion of this as well. But for all I know it could be doing extra stuff in the background (like indexing poo poo or whatever.)

That being said, the upgrade has coincided with a several day period where I've needed to be more reliant on my iPad, so it could be I'm just using it more.

I'll reboot it in a couple of days and see what happens.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So iOS 10 for the iPad is fine, but the widgets show on one side instead of two like this:

It's a small thing, but would just work so much better if I could have widgets on the left and right side.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

What does that edit button on the left do?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Um, press the Edit button.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Under edit there's a left and right column option. You can change the widgets to whatever side you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SaturdayKnight posted:

Under edit there's a left and right column option. You can change the widgets to whatever side you want.

Oh. Well I look like an idiot. But anyways, this solves that issue.