Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Yeah, I'm wondering if the people who tried Kenji's sous vide brisket somehow got a cheap piece of meat or had some operator error, because it was pretty great for me. Definitely still moist after the smoking step. I wish I'd written down my temps and times or taken pictures, I'm bad at this stuff. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Choadmaster posted:

How long did you let the meat marinate before cooking? I'm wondering if that's where my problem was, because as soon as I bagged it, I dropped it in the cambro. The recipe doesn't suggest otherwise, but I wonder if letting it sit in the fridge for 24 hours might have helped.

It was sitting in the fridge for about 4-5 hours or so. It's also worth noting that I didn't follow the recipe for seasonings; I just went with what seemed like a good amount of seasoning and proceeded from there.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Choadmaster posted:

How long did you let the meat marinate before cooking? I'm wondering if that's where my problem was, because as soon as I bagged it, I dropped it in the cambro. The recipe doesn't suggest otherwise, but I wonder if letting it sit in the fridge for 24 hours might have helped.

I threw mine right in the tub after bagging and they came out great. I cooked them for ~16 hours @ 165.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Doing a corned beef brisket Sunday. Looking forward to melt in my mouth beef

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Probably a dumb question, but when I'm doing Kenji's SV carnitas, I should take the skin off the pork shoulder before bagging & vizzling, right?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
whats the smallest container i can use my anova precision in do eggs because it seems to want masses of water/depth and its kind of annoying when i want some quick poached eggs

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I've done eggs with mine in a tiny rear end saucepot (2 quarts, maybe?), and didn't have any issues. As long as the water can get to the "min" line you should be golden.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

6 qt plastic is comfortable.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I felt bad that I didn't take any pictures of my green chuck roast so I decided to do it again

This is after 24 hours at 131. Of course I forgot to boil beforehand, and I think years of brewing sour beer have made my home a petri dish.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Does it smell off?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Chemmy posted:

Does it smell off?

Listen to this man. I have had some things look green in the bag not have no other signs of being bad, and have been incredible in the end (and have pinkened up again out of the bag as well).

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Didn't open the bag, but last time it smelled a bit off but not putrid. This time, I just dipped it in a 185F bath for a minute to hopefully sanitize it, then kept going at 131. I'll take it out in a day or so to actually taste it. I mostly just posted the picture now because it sounded like many people hadn't seen the greenening before.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Friend posted:

There's a refurbished FoodSaver FM2000 with a hose and a handful of bags for $39 here. Same company as Meh (and also full disclosure I work for them.)

Meh has another refurbished Foodsaver vacuum sealer for sale today for $35. Includes hoses and bags and poo poo.

On topic, I made Kenji's brisket once and it was totally fine; I didn't leave it in the oven nearly as long as he suggested though, so that may be part of it. Not the best in the world, but the best I could ever hope to make.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I've been sous-viding my sausages overnight so that I only have to sear them in the morning. They're good even after eight hours of cooking.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
If I want to sous vide tuna steaks, is my only option to buy flash frozen ones due to parasites?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
So my first gen Anova died last night about two hours into sous vide carnitas. Happily I realized it was off before the bath dropped significantly and just finished the meat in the oven.

In terms of replacement- anyone have a persuasive case for the Joule over a new Anova? I'm not a huge fan of the idea of using an app to control it, but maybe I'm missing something.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
You don't need to use the app to control the newer Anova. I think I've used the app once.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
The app is nice if you find the recipe you need in it and for making finer temperature adjustments (0.5 increments w/o the app and 0.1 increments in the app IIRC) plus setting time and temperature in the app is quicker and more comfortable than pressing buttons and turning the scrollwheel for me, but other than that, it works perfectly without the app.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
He's talking about the Joule, which has no control panel on the device itself and requires an app to run it.

I don't personally own a Joule, but from what I can tell the most compelling reasons that you'd want one over an Anova are:

1. It's smaller and more compact
2. It's more powerful (1100W vs. 900W or 800W depending on the Anova model) and can easier maintain temp of a larger volume of water
3. In addition to a clip it also has a magnetic bottom, meaning you can stand it up in a pot to cook inshallower amounts of water than you could do with an Anova.

The one big downside is the complete lack of an interface.

All in all, when my Anova dies I will be taking a hard look at the Joule. It's got a few little extras and thoughtful design choices that I think would make a difference. That being said, Anova will be coming out with a "pro" model soon which may end up being a better buy, and you can get the bluetooth model right now for like $120 on Amazon, which is $80 cheaper than the Joule.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Since the bottom of the ANOVA is plastic, is there any reason you couldnt/shouldn't permanently attach a powerful magnet to the bottom?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Crunkjuice posted:

Since the bottom of the ANOVA is plastic, is there any reason you couldnt/shouldn't permanently attach a powerful magnet to the bottom?

Well, it's certainly not meant to be load-bearing, and having a strong magnet in that proximity to the circulator at the bottom might not be the best idea?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah, I'm willing to bet the impeller for circulation is magnetically driven. Just about every fish related one is, so I don't see why a sous vide one is any different.

Moreover, what would you want the magnet for?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

^^^ magnet lets it stick to a ferrous metal pot when the clip wouldn't work, like with a short pot. If you want to use it with a non-ferromagnetic metal, you could affix a mating magnet below your device, but you're just getting silly now :colbert:

Schpyder posted:

Well, it's certainly not meant to be load-bearing, and having a strong magnet in that proximity to the circulator at the bottom might not be the best idea?

Looking at the iFixit teardown, it looks like the impeller motor is actually waaaay up in the housing, so you're most likely fine doing as you suggested.

Veritek83 posted:

So my first gen Anova died last night about two hours into sous vide carnitas. Happily I realized it was off before the bath dropped significantly and just finished the meat in the oven.

In terms of replacement- anyone have a persuasive case for the Joule over a new Anova? I'm not a huge fan of the idea of using an app to control it, but maybe I'm missing something.

I've only had experience with Joule but it's nice. The app is fine for me, but if my wife ever needs to do it I may need to talk her through it over the phone. So, if you anticipate anyone not-so-tech-savvy using it, perhaps get one with physical controls.

Not sure how important the wattage is, as I connected my Kill-A-Watt and my Joule never got above 600W. Perhaps that's because I didn't crank it up really high, but still I would've thought it'd crank it up at the beginning, but no.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
It definitely matter when going to higher temps (my first gen Anova could maintain 190 for veggies like a champ while my BT struggles a bit if the container isn't covered) but I think wattage becomes even more important when dealing with large volumes of water. That may or may not matter to you depending on how often you cook for a crowd.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

BrianBoitano posted:

Looking at the iFixit teardown, it looks like the impeller motor is actually waaaay up in the housing, so you're most likely fine doing as you suggested.

It's not about affecting the electromagnetics of the motor, the stator and rotor are so close that the permanent magnet would probably be a couple orders of magnitude lower in field strength. It's more about putting a constant axial load on the motor bearings, which will wear them out a lot faster. Motors that small (and electric motors in general) don't tend to have thrust bearings.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

BrianBoitano posted:

^^^ magnet lets it stick to a ferrous metal pot when the clip wouldn't work, like with a short pot. If you want to use it with a non-ferromagnetic metal, you could affix a mating magnet below your device, but you're just getting silly now :colbert:

You should probably try a silicone or other easily cuttable material splatter-guard for pans, they cost 10-20 bucks, then cut out a hole on one side, cover the pot up with the splatter guard and insert the Anova through it

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Oh I'm just theorycrafting for others. I have a plastic tub with a matching lid. Lid has Joule-sized-hole, wrap it all up in a towel. Works fine for me!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you're putting it in a short pot, won't you be below the min line? It's pretty far up.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Sous viding a pork shoulder and the seal on the bag failed, there's water in the bag and has been overnight. Should I toss everything out? Or dump the water out into a pot and reduce it?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Carillon posted:

Sous viding a pork shoulder and the seal on the bag failed, there's water in the bag and has been overnight. Should I toss everything out? Or dump the water out into a pot and reduce it?

The latter imo. I can't think of anything seriously wrong unless the meat bobbed above the water line or a critter got into it.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Friend posted:

Meh has another refurbished Foodsaver vacuum sealer for sale today for $35. Includes hoses and bags and poo poo.

I bought one of these it sealed two bags before breaking :(

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

I've wanted a sous vide tool for quite a while now but finally bit the bullet.

I picked up a Joule a week or so ago and I loving love this thing. Wanted to chime in for the Kenji carnitas chat, though.

:effort: presentation due to the need to inhale crispy pork butt.

165F in the meat sensory deprivation tank for 18 hours. Finished under the broiler in a cast iron skillet. Texture and taste are both on point.

I grabbed a pork belly from the Asian grocer this morning, so that's next in queue. I used to 420 braise it fairly often so I'm looking forward to the vide route.

Bonus: cooked ~3.5lb of ribeye last night for some friends.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Nice! Can you please share your chimchurri recipe?

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Namaste faggots, I used this one.

No access to a food processor so I hand-chopped everything. Still awesome. I used a tiny bit less red wine v than that recipe calls for also.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Postmaster GBS posted:

Namaste faggots, I used this one.

No access to a food processor so I hand-chopped everything. Still awesome. I used a tiny bit less red wine v than that recipe calls for also.

Awesome, thanks!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

namaste faggots posted:

Awesome, thanks!

Would you go as far as to say "Awesome sauce"?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I just did my first attempt at a creme brulee recipe, in my thermostat-crockpot ghetto sous vide and I think it came out pretty good.

I used this recipe:
http://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-ultimate-creme-brulee-with-variations

I got some 4oz straight side mason jars and filled up 6 of them for individual portions.
I'm using a ghetto crockpot-thermostat setup. I preheated two electric kettle's full of water since gets up to temp 10x faster, then dumped them in the crockpot. The recipe called for 90.5C but they cooked closer to 85C for most of the time, getting up to 90 just at the end. The setup just has such a slow thermal response and I didn't really wait long enough for it to stabilize.

Torched the sugar with my ts8000, it was a little difficult to get the distance right where I wasn't setting the sugar completely on fire, but still melting it. In the end I got a pretty satisfying crispy toasted top and a silky custardy inside.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

The latter imo. I can't think of anything seriously wrong unless the meat bobbed above the water line or a critter got into it.
Good call, that's what I did, reduced the 2 quarts to about half a cup and it was fine.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Family thought I was some sort of wizard with a dirt simple 48 hour co(r)ned beef.

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Looks rectangular to me.