Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Badger of Basra posted:

Well they are Aggies.

I feel like I haven't heard an Aggie joke in a really long time. Did they die out or do I just not hang out with people who tell Aggie jokes?

You should see the CFB GDTs whenever A&M does well (see: the first half of the season :v:)

But yeah. A&M is mostly full of trash people politically but I still love my dumb school. At least Michael Young seems to have a better-than-the-average-Texan head on his shoulders when it comes to some of the recent garbage events that have happened on campus.

Spaced God fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Badger of Basra posted:

Well they are Aggies.

I feel like I haven't heard an Aggie joke in a really long time. Did they die out or do I just not hang out with people who tell Aggie jokes?

TBH one of the best parts of graduating from UT was that I stopped running into people that thought bonfire jokes were hilarious

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
SB4 is so embarrassing for our state. I can't believe how many idiots are in the Texas Lege.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Charles Get-Out posted:

While a bill does have to pass both the House and Senate to reach the Governor's desk, only one version of the bill needs to if the bill has a companion. The HB may be pending in committee because the SB is the one moving through the process for instance.

edit: To clarify more, the SB that passed the Senate chamber will need to be referred to House committee, be voted out of House committee, and then pass in the House to be sent to the Gov. The companion HB can be left in committee with no detriment to the SB's passage.

Thanks.

Do you happen to know whether that show on the bill tracker under the senate bill or will it show up as a new entry?

The specific issue I'm watching is the short term rental bill(s) stripping all ability to regulate them from cities.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Badger of Basra posted:

Well they are Aggies.

An Aggie, A Longhorn, and a Baylor bear are trespassing on a farmer's land. They hear a shotgun cocking. The longhorn climbs a tree, the bear hides in a chicken coop, and the Aggie hides in a potato sack.

The farmer approaches the tree, the Longhorn makes a bird call: "Cooo. Cooo." , the farmer moves on. The farmer approaches the chicken coop, the bear makes a chicken noise "Cluck Cluck", the farmer moves on. The farmer approaches the potato sack. The Aggie goes "Potaaatooo, Potaaaaato".

#jokesfrom1995

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Shifty Pony posted:

Thanks.

Do you happen to know whether that show on the bill tracker under the senate bill or will it show up as a new entry?

The specific issue I'm watching is the short term rental bill(s) stripping all ability to regulate them from cities.

It's tracked under the bill number as filed if you are using TLO & will carry that same number through the whole process. All House action on the bill will have an H next to it, Senate will have an S.

If you're looking at SB 451, you can see the H next to when it was received by the House.

At this point, I think you will be watching SB 451 through the whole process; May 11 is effectively the last day for the House to move new HBs onto the normal calendar, so any non-L&C HBs that will move are being voted out of committee now-ish & HB 2551 has not been touched by House Urban Affairs since 4/18.

Caveat, committees/calendars have been really weird this time around because of the Straus/Patrick spat so this could switch up randomly.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 28, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
lmao

JWP is crooked as hell but also made of 100 percent teflon

https://twitter.com/dallasnews/status/858019071497031681

quote:

[Defense Attorney Clint] Broden said he suspects prosecutors proceeded with the case against Price believing someone would testify against him.

“And they were in for a rude awakening,” Broden said. “In some ways, they underestimated people’s loyalty to John Wiley Price.”

It may not have helped that prosecutors also did not pursue the mostly white business owners whose money, the indictment said, was used to bribe Price. The business owners said they didn’t know how the money was being used. But had there been indictments, they might have flipped, Broden said.

“You may have had people testify who had no loyalty to Price, so they could avoid going to prison,” Broden said.

That also could have helped temper allegations that the feds single out black public officials for their investigations.
The government's own racism, it could possibly be implied, torpedoed their own case.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 28, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Cross-posting from another thread about the Waco shootout.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

That reminds me to read up on what happened with that.

So after the Cossacks-Bandidos shootout, a prosecutor in Waco has been trying to throw the book at the whole lot of them with state criminal street gang laws. Defense attorneys are in an uproar about it, however, as they say the prosecutor is overreaching and constructing a conspiracy among bikers which doesn't exist. Meanwhile, the bikers have been laying low because of the heat and there have been several arrests, including a Bandidos leader for unrelated (although serious) crimes.

And to my surprise, four Bandidos were arrested for the 2006 sniper assassination of a Hell's Angel in Austin. Shot the poor guy in front of his wife -- from an overpass -- for trying to start up a chapter in the state:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Cross-posting from another thread about the Waco shootout.

THAT WAS THEM??

That Saccone's location never recovered, they had to move further down 620 after that. I was managing the Holiday Inn a block away the night it happened.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Aliquid posted:

THAT WAS THEM??

That Saccone's location never recovered, they had to move further down 620 after that. I was managing the Holiday Inn a block away the night it happened.
Oh wow. Yeah here's an article about it. Looks like the court filings are still sealed:

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/crime--law/bandidos-indicted-2006-austin-killing-officials-say/os0QimJ9nTIYQ8wYhizLBO/

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

quote:

I’ve kept my pledge to fight for hard-working Texans, and I’ll keep doing that. However, with the threats posed by Russia and North Korea, coupled with the reckless behavior of this Administration and their failure to invest in economic opportunity for the American people, at this time I believe I can best continue that work by focusing on my duties in the House Foreign Affairs and Intelligence Committees.

So I guess Joaquin Castro's not going for Cruz's seat. Altho that was a bit obvious since he only ever brought it up in the context of asking for donations instead of as part of a larger plan.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
All aboard the Beto-max.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Beto's staff didn't hire me for something a long time ago, further reason for you guys to love him.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

A current student stabbed 4 other students at UT today, one dead.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Badger of Basra posted:

A current student stabbed 4 other students at UT today, one dead.

Here's an article with more info...

http://kxan.com/2017/05/01/reports-of-multiple-people-stabbed-on-ut-campus/

Had a friend who does personal training at Gregory Gym who was about 25' away from the whole thing. He only head screaming and saw a bunch of people running, but it has really shaken a lot of people around here. No idea what the hell was behind this.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

KLBJam and alex jones types are saying antifa claimed responsibility

lots of interviews with frat kids who say they've been threatened in the last week, been hiring private security

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Aliquid posted:

KLBJam and alex jones types are saying antifa claimed responsibility

lots of interviews with frat kids who say they've been threatened in the last week, been hiring private security

With it happening outside of Gregory Gym, I would imagine it being some pissed-off incel. But the victims are all male, and when incels get violent they tend to lash out at women. Honestly, who knows what the kid was up to.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

I heard about this because a few people on A&M's campus were making some jokes about it. gently caress those people :sigh:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Spaced God posted:

I heard about this because a few people on A&M's campus were making some jokes about it. gently caress those people :sigh:

Didn't run into any of those, would have had a bit of a verbal exchange if I did.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

All aboard the Beto-max.

:stare:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

All aboard the Beto-max.

Excellent. Strong meme potential.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Spaced God posted:

Why do A&M people so often support black guys who did video reenactments of the Haitian revolution chopping white people up IRL with a machete, smdh at those guys.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Y'all need to read this story about the Austin cop who faked his own death and ran away to Mexico because he couldn't manage to tell his wife he was cheating on her.

http://kxan.com/2017/05/01/timeline-austin-police-officer-flees-to-mexico-after-staging-his-death/

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

Y'all need to read this story about the Austin cop who faked his own death and ran away to Mexico because he couldn't manage to tell his wife he was cheating on her.

http://kxan.com/2017/05/01/timeline-austin-police-officer-flees-to-mexico-after-staging-his-death/

Let this be a lesson children, don't ever use your cards and anything else you use online ie. email, fb, account, forums username. Cash cash cash.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
ATX goons, there is an orientation for the program that takes people out to visit the women being held in the detention center in Hutto. http://grassrootsleadership.org/event/2017/entrenamiento-visitas-de-hutto tell your Spanish-speaking friends

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Infowars is pushing a debunked story about a guy with a gun helping the police stop the stabbing at UT.
http://www.statesman.com/news/local/viral-item-debunked-evidence-gun-brandishing-student-helped-subdue-attacker/z92T0lb56COS9cb6emNGeN/

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Spacebump posted:

Infowars is pushing a debunked story about a guy with a gun helping the police stop the stabbing at UT.
http://www.statesman.com/news/local/viral-item-debunked-evidence-gun-brandishing-student-helped-subdue-attacker/z92T0lb56COS9cb6emNGeN/

Yeah I heard a conservative friend of mine pushing this angle. Ughhh.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Xibanya posted:

Yeah I heard a conservative friend of mine pushing this angle. Ughhh.

Make sure to show your friend that was a lie and tell them to be careful about sources.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Spacebump posted:

Make sure to show your friend that was a lie and tell them to be careful about sources.

I did him one better, my youngest brother was on the scene and said he didn't see or hear anything consistent with the "good guy with a gun" narrative.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Someone I was doing a group project with yesterday made a similar claim, saying he wanted to call one of his friends who organized that dildo rally at UT last August and ask her how well the dildos helped out.

In other news, I'm very glad I'm not in a group with that person.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Spacebump posted:

lol that's a good one

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I mean what if Alex had chili for lunch, he might have forgotten key details about the event. How can we trust him if we don't know his lunch schedule? :ohdear:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Spaced God posted:

Someone I was doing a group project with yesterday made a similar claim, saying he wanted to call one of his friends who organized that dildo rally at UT last August and ask her how well the dildos helped out.

In other news, I'm very glad I'm not in a group with that person.

Yea, it seems like a lot of the top comments on the various news articles about the stabbing were people asking "so, did the dildos help stop the guy?"

The fact that the gun nuts are still so focused on that dildo protest is a sure sign that it was really effective.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

LanceHunter posted:

Yea, it seems like a lot of the top comments on the various news articles about the stabbing were people asking "so, did the dildos help stop the guy?"

The fact that the gun nuts are still so focused on that dildo protest is a sure sign that it was really effective.

Was MISSION ACCOMPLISHED an effective bit of PR for GWB because people kept bringing it up?

If you're an object of ridicule I guess believing it's all part of your master plan is a common coping mechanism.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 4, 2017

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sorry Houston

https://twitter.com/lindseyadler/status/860187751131598848

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/kashhill/status/860502686780854273

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Disgusting people can root for my sports team all they want, doesn't make me hate them less

Conversely, my university hung a "Go Spurs Go" sign up and I don't hate it now either

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

No Safe Word posted:

Disgusting people can root for my sports team all they want, doesn't make me hate them less

Conversely, my university hung a "Go Spurs Go" sign up and I don't hate it now either

You don't hate your university? So you're either 19 or 60.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Welp, just voted in a mayoral race for the first time ever. The old ladies running the voting said it wasn't a slow day, because they'd had 82 people in the past nine hours. ...in San Antonio, one of the largest cities in the nation.

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

It blows my mind that we used to have May local elections and that that used to be normal.