Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Is there a decent app geared to tracking heart rate over the day via a HR monitor? I have workout apps, and non-workout apps seem to want to use the camera to measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I use a viiiva chest strap while exercising. Stupid name but it can record all day and transfer the log to your phone, and the app dumps it into the Health app. It's one of the few heart rate monitors that can pair with an iphone without needing something additional (like a watch or something) to do the data relaying.. it uses plain old bluetooth and works really well.

It implements the ant+ standard too, and can pair with any footpods or other ant+ trinkets you buy.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dupersaurus posted:

Is there a decent app geared to tracking heart rate over the day via a HR monitor? I have workout apps, and non-workout apps seem to want to use the camera to measure.

Do you have a specific monitor in mind? Because I'm pretty sure in addition to the Apple Watch, both Garmin and Fitbit have products that monitor heart rate and will feed data into the Health app via their own iOS apps. Although accuracy of optical monitoring is suspect, I think.

Polar makes a torso band that will link up with the Apple Watch or iPhone.

EDIT: ^^ That sounds like a better solution than what I pulled up in a few minutes googling. Not sure on the Polar mechanism.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

BoyBlunder posted:

I have been using this too, and it's awesome. I actually can't believe it's free.

I use it for Gmail and Office 365. Highly recommended.

I was a bit bummed to find out the iOS Gmail & Inbox apps both suck terribly (at least with notifications/badges), so I've been jumping between mail apps for a while and have settled on this one.

I've been using Spark for a while, I like its features, but its a little slow. I'll look at Email.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I already have a Wahoo tickr, albeit the one without memory, so hooking it up to the phone is no prob.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

dupersaurus posted:

The free app Cardiogram will show you a daily graph using Health data. It's kind of meh, but you can see graphs.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

porktree posted:

I've been using Spark for a while, I like its features, but its a little slow. I'll look at Email.

Yeah, I really like spark. Have you had any weird badge problems, like 2 emails showing 32 new emails for some reason? I have. It's not a huge deal though.

I just wish there was a Mac spark client as well. I can't deal with outlook and I need one with swipe and snooze and stuff.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
My wife's iCloud account has started saying that it's almost full, yet all she has setup to save to it are photos and notes.

Photos is 2.3 gb and notes is like 73mb.

There's an other documents section too that's taking up 2.0 gb exactly yet you can't drill down to see what those documents are. (all her documents are on drop box which is much much bigger than 2gb)

Is it safe to delete the other documents section without that compromising notes?

I'm an Android user and can't find much help information regarding similar issues.

E: figured it out Documents and Desktop stuff. Turned it off as she doesnt use it.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 29, 2016

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

randyest posted:

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions for ways to do what I thought was simple but maybe I underestimated the complexity of. Perhaps there is not truly an app for "everything.", Link to original post with what I want to do for reference:
"Logsit" covers 100% what I needed and 60% of the optional/wants. It's free. And great. I've emailed the dev and offered to pay for a few more features; no response yet.

No time to convert reddit to SA markup but you can see it at here or read the sloppily formatted C&P below:

Super props to montydad5000 for the logsit recommendation. It's almost exactly what I need, and the things it doesn't do can be handled by exporting a csv and using excel to get more detail. For others looking for something like this here's a breakdown. bold items are 100% what I wanted, italics items are close but not exact, strikethrough text are not in the app, but all of them can be handled by exporting to CSV and doing some work in Excel:
I have 3 things I want to track when I do them with a click on one of three big labelled buttons; very simple interface.
Perfect. You can even make categories and sub-events, but with just 3 items (or more) on the main page; it's quick and easy: swipe right to instantly enter the event. Click and you can add notes, change date/time, even log the location you're at where you did the thing.
The app then records the day and time (and which of the three 3 things I did, depending on which button I pressed).
It's swipe instead of a click, but this is no problem and I consider it perfect.
I can go "back in time" and add a thing I did at any previous day / time in case I forgot to click the big button when I did the thing (or delete an erroneous entry).
Yep, see above. You can edit the date time of any entry.
I can see bar and/or line graphs of how many times I did each of those things daily, weekly, monthly, annually. Maybe even hourly.
Darn near perfect, but there is no hourly graph. I can get around this by exporting the csv, but hourly isn't really as important as daily/weekly/monthly/yearly which logsit does perfectly.
Flexibility in graphing / stats reporting would be great (how often do I do thing 1, 2, or 3 on Mondays between noon and 2pm, for example).
Graphs are simple and not very customizeable/combinable, but export to csv -> excel will take care of this.
Force touch to log item 1, 2, or 3 without opening the app would be incredible, but isn't required.
Force touch only option is "share logsit". No big loss, but it'd be really cool if they added force touch to allow event entries.
Bonus if I can see graphs for each item separately, and also have the option to "stack" items 1 & 2, or 2 & 3, or 1 & 3, or all 3 together with different colors for each thing in the bar chart. Again, not required but would be awesome.
Not possible but csv -> excel handles this
Trend lines and stats reporting would also be great but, again, not really required, especially if I can export the raw data.
Not an option but, again, export csv -> excel solves this.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

tuyop posted:

Yeah, I really like spark. Have you had any weird badge problems, like 2 emails showing 32 new emails for some reason? I have. It's not a huge deal though.

I just wish there was a Mac spark client as well. I can't deal with outlook and I need one with swipe and snooze and stuff.

Yes - or having it badge me with no email. It seems to struggle to mark read email as read.

Does anyone have an appshopper link to the badly named 'Email' app?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

porktree posted:

Yes - or having it badge me with no email. It seems to struggle to mark read email as read.

Does anyone have an appshopper link to the badly named 'Email' app?

http://appshopper.com/productivity/email-easilydo-mail

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Awesome thanks.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

tuyop posted:

Funny you should say that.

https://twitter.com/SparkMailApp/status/803691756890062848

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Spark on Mac is a clusterfuck. Just get AirMail.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The free app Cardiogram will show you a daily graph using Health data. It's kind of meh, but you can see graphs.

If it could connect to my hr monitor, it'd be pretty much what I was looking for.

May be time to bust xcode out again...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah I couldn't find a great way to deal with the recorded heart rate information on the phone itself using the chest strap I mentioned earlier.

The only outlet I found is the 4iiii app lets you email logs, and I was able to find a python library to parse them and make my own graphs.

I'm a nerd, cope. :colbert:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

dupersaurus posted:

If it could connect to my hr monitor, it'd be pretty much what I was looking for.

May be time to bust xcode out again...
Afaik it doesn't connect to any device directly, it takes data from your Health database. If your HR monitor can hook into that, you're all set.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

xzzy posted:

Yeah I couldn't find a great way to deal with the recorded heart rate information on the phone itself using the chest strap I mentioned earlier.

The only outlet I found is the 4iiii app lets you email logs, and I was able to find a python library to parse them and make my own graphs.

I'm a nerd, cope. :colbert:

It just makes sense that you would use rrdtool for tracking your sick pythons.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's the only graphing system that doesn't make me want to stab myself.

Maybe just punch myself a couple times.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

BoyBlunder posted:

I have been using this too, and it's awesome. I actually can't believe it's free.

I use it for Gmail and Office 365. Highly recommended.

I was a bit bummed to find out the iOS Gmail & Inbox apps both suck terribly (at least with notifications/badges), so I've been jumping between mail apps for a while and have settled on this one.

I tried Email but it made me realize how much I enjoy GMail natively sorting my emails into Primary, Social, Promotions, Updates, and Forums.

And while I didn't like the changes they made to GMail, I am slowly getting used to it.

Look at that, a goon getting used to change.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Afaik it doesn't connect to any device directly, it takes data from your Health database. If your HR monitor can hook into that, you're all set.

Therein lies the rub: getting an app that will record it to health as heart rate, not workout, since there does appear to be a distinction between the two.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Look at that, a goon getting used to change.
Impossible.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

dupersaurus posted:

Therein lies the rub: getting an app that will record it to health as heart rate, not workout, since there does appear to be a distinction between the two.
I understand, and it's probably not for you, but for info when I log a workout with my Apple Watch Cardiogram takes the HR data from that workout and breaks it out into a separate graph.

Tangentially, I understand things like privacy concerns with anything given the "health" label, and the fact that app money is probably mostly in freemium games at this point, but the fact that HealthKit stuff hasn't become more than a semi-wet fart is really disappointing.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Protonmail is really good, guys, and the apps are sweet.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there any app that can take a picture and convert it to a 'sketch' but then lets you erase lines? I would like to take a picture of a street and erase some of the street furniture like poles etc. I could then import it into adobe sketch and draw on it to make the buildings look correct.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sri.Theo posted:

Is there any app that can take a picture and convert it to a 'sketch' but then lets you erase lines? I would like to take a picture of a street and erase some of the street furniture like poles etc. I could then import it into adobe sketch and draw on it to make the buildings look correct.

Do you have photos of the end state you'd like to see?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

tuyop posted:

Do you have photos of the end state you'd like to see?

No, I would like to draw that in but it would be a lot easier if I can use edit the lines on these transform to sketch apps.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

I'm coming back after using this app - switched over from Spark on my iPad and am elated. It's faster and cleaner. I suppose it's just a marginal improvement, but in an app I use all the time any improvement is nice.

My only beef is that unlike Spark, I can't sync my settings between devices (unless I can and am stupid).

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I'm looking for a good app to monitor data usage.

First - I'd like to set a cap of 3GB over the past 3 days (midnight to midnight) and alert me when approaching it. If I use more than 3GB in 3 days then I get throttled, otherwise I'm unlimited. If that's not possible in any apps I'll just set the cap to 1GB/day and set alerts when I approach that.

Second - It would be nice to have an app that tracks data usage: by day, by app, by foreground/background, and by network type (3G/4G/wifi).

Anything like either of those available?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
"My Data Manager" does most of those except for the background usage.

My Data Manager – Track your mobile data usage and save money by Mobidia Technology
https://appsto.re/ca/Ow6EC.i

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Aredna posted:

I'm looking for a good app to monitor data usage.

First - I'd like to set a cap of 3GB over the past 3 days (midnight to midnight) and alert me when approaching it. If I use more than 3GB in 3 days then I get throttled, otherwise I'm unlimited. If that's not possible in any apps I'll just set the cap to 1GB/day and set alerts when I approach that.

Second - It would be nice to have an app that tracks data usage: by day, by app, by foreground/background, and by network type (3G/4G/wifi).

Anything like either of those available?

I like Dataman. I think a few features are gated behind iap but if it saves you money it may be worth it.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I've been using Bytes for a similar purpose.

Bytes by Bharat Iyer
https://appsto.re/us/1cSm2.i

Has a widget and everything.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Crosspost from the CC digital art thread because it's a big deal for anyone who makes artwork on iOS: Procreate (probably the best iPad drawing app) just got a pretty major update. List of new things includes: PSD import(!), built in live streaming, keyboard shortcuts, and some nice layer management stuff.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
What's the best app if I want to dump video :filez: on my iPad? Preferably something that handles most formats and subtitles.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've used an app called Air Sharing for stuff like that for years, but I just checked the App Store for it and it appears to be dead and gone. Perhaps that's why it hasn't had any updates in forever. :v:

But there has to be something similar out there.. Air Sharing is cool because it has a small web server allowing you to transfer files to your iOS device from a web browser.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Xabi posted:

What's the best app if I want to dump video :filez: on my iPad? Preferably something that handles most formats and subtitles.

Waltr 1 is amazing

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Xabi posted:

VLC's interface can be a bit odd but it's always played everything perfectly for me.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Xabi posted:

I've been using Infuse for a year or two now and it's handled everything I've thrown at it. It lets you add files via a web browser, FTP and iTunes, plus can access media servers etc.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Question Mark Mound posted:

I've been using Infuse for a year or two now and it's handled everything I've thrown at it. It lets you add files via a web browser, FTP and iTunes, plus can access media servers etc.

Infuse is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
If you run Plex at home already, it will transcode and copy stuff to your iPhone or iPad real easily as well.