Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sleeveless posted:

Ironically the whole "real women look like this" movement has just made treating skinny women like poo poo even more socially acceptable. I have a friend who is naturally rail-thin and it's shocking to me how people will think nothing of asking if they have an eating disorder or shame their appearance.

Rondette posted:

Yeah that is poo poo and I hate it. That whole 'real women' thing is embarrassing, it makes me cringe.

When I lost a load of weight (through cutting out the poo poo I was eating and mainly eating soups and stir fries for 3 months or so) people thought nothing of commenting on it and not always in a positive way either. I also noticed some friends starting to treat me ever so slightly differently. It's hard to explain, but it was almost like I'd done wrong by them by losing weight. It was a subtle change but I felt some people distanced themselves from me, like being thin meant I couldn't be one of their mates. Weird.

Yep. I'm not super into gender studies topics, but I find this issue fascinating because how marketing and public opinion and propaganda weave through it. The whole "Photoshop Free" is a faux-healthy movement that displaces the responsibility from industry standards to a piece of technology. All of the "Real Beauty" talk that follows is just the same bullshit approach to fashion and beauty with the same values but slightly altered standards to make it seem "progressive" and "feminist," while hiding that it's still technologically-driven body policing.

I also read somewhere that the rail-thin standards for models began in the late Victorian/Early Edwardian era, well-antedating "Heroin Chic," for all of the design reasons mentioned above. I guess fabric just hangs better, or at least more predictably, on thin bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh
How about this roaring piece of shite from the German supermarket chain Edeka? Could someone please explain what exactly they or their creative team thought they would achieve with this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6-0kYhqoRo

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Frazzbo posted:

How about this roaring piece of shite from the German supermarket chain Edeka? Could someone please explain what exactly they or their creative team thought they would achieve with this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6-0kYhqoRo

LIK DIS IF U CRY EVRY TIM

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Frazzbo posted:

This old man owns.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A dumb move in marketing but a triumph in old man weird poo poo awesomeness.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Bluemillion posted:

This old man owns.

CommonShore posted:

A dumb move in marketing but a triumph in old man weird poo poo awesomeness.

Hells yea, and it looks like he puts out an awesome spread too. I would go for that alone. My only question is... who was in the coffin they buried? :ohdear:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

double post

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Frazzbo posted:

"gently caress your generation you don't have any respect for your elders"

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Here's a Mexican coke ad making the rounds today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdDb9qErLc8

I honestly have no idea what the message is, but I guess high school Spanish can only take me so far.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Frazzbo posted:

Same as the current John Lewis advert - old people get lonely at Christmas maybe visit them (our store will sell you the food).

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

GrandpaPants posted:

Here's a Mexican coke ad making the rounds today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdDb9qErLc8

I honestly have no idea what the message is, but I guess high school Spanish can only take me so far.

http://www.techinsider.io/coca-colas-ad-offending-indigenous-mexicans-2015-12

White Hipsters deliver coke and capitalism to poor indigenous people.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I'm thinking of getting Enrique his own Enrique.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Writer Cath posted:

I'm thinking of getting Enrique his own Enrique.

Lol if you didn't select your Enrique through a fight-to-the-death tournament and eliminate all other potential Enriques in the process

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Somfin posted:

Lol if you didn't select your Enrique through a fight-to-the-death tournament and eliminate all other potential Enriques in the process

That's a waste of perfectly good Enriques. They're endangered, you know.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I'm not above getting a bargain bin Enrique.

Do you love him?
I love him!
I got him at Ross!

Had to fight off a soccer mom for him and he was missing an eye, but I'm planning on trading up in a few paychecks.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

I can't wait to see the next fresh meme that the "My compsci degree qualifies me to see through marketing bullshit" thread comes up with.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Yeah Bro posted:

I can't wait to see the next fresh meme that the "My compsci degree qualifies me to see through marketing bullshit" thread comes up with.

yeah bro

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Yeah Bro posted:

As far as I'm concerned, you can't see through the bullshit and it'll get to you somehow unless you shut it out entirely. Block your ads and mute your commercials, it's the only way to be certain 'cause you just know there's a whole subset of advertising folks who think about how to circumvent this all day. Hell, look at aggro-gator's ads.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Yeah Bro posted:

I'm sure an Enrique is working on it as we speak.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Yeah Bro posted:

I can't wait to see Yeah Bro actually contributing to a thread even once instead of walking in and making GBS threads it up like a smug idiot.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

The White Dragon posted:

As far as I'm concerned, you can't see through the bullshit and it'll get to you somehow unless you shut it out entirely. Block your ads and mute your commercials, it's the only way to be certain 'cause you just know there's a whole subset of advertising folks who think about how to circumvent this all day. Hell, look at aggro-gator's ads.

The last two episodes of South Park have been going crazy regarding advertising taking over every facet of life, with sponsored content becoming the new wave of advertisements. As smart as we get, the ads keep coming back in different ways, no matter how many ad blockers or script killers we install.

Hell, the "recent purchases" thread is one giant advertisement chain.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Xenoletum posted:

The last two episodes of South Park have been going crazy regarding advertising taking over every facet of life, with sponsored content becoming the new wave of advertisements. As smart as we get, the ads keep coming back in different ways, no matter how many ad blockers or script killers we install.

Advertising is completely terrible. Sometimes it's just a company advertising a cool new thing you didn't know about that you might like. I don't mind the "hey there guy, *thing* exists and does *stuff* you might like it. It's $X and you can get it at *place.*" Sometimes it's a thing I haven't heard about. Product awareness is kind of a big deal. I can't buy *thing* if I don't know it even exists in the first place. If *thing* makes my life better somehow and $X is a price I can afford and don't mind spending on *thing* then yes I'll buy it.

The issue is that advertising is a wrapper around everything that's loving awful about corporate America. Why spend $1,000,000,000 making your product not suck when you can spend $300,000 on an advertising campaign and increase sales anyway? A lot of advertising is also built on annoying potential customers with obnoxious bullshit filled with misinformation. "You could save 15% on your car insurance!" Yeah, I also might be the Queen of England.

Of course word of mouth (like the recent purchases thread) is the best form of advertising but you have to kind of make something that somebody likes enough to tell their friends about in the first place. It's easier and more cost effective to churn out cheap garbage made by slave labor in Asia then spam adverts for it. Marketing as a whole is also heavily geared toward making things seem better than they actually are. Which is why you get stupid advertisements that try to convince you that the lavender-scented laundry detergent is actually ultra super luxury detergent that is almost too good for Donald Trump but they're doing everybody a favor for selling it for slightly more than regular laundry detergent.

In the case of the internet we've been so heavily bombarded by advertising for so long that we just tune most of it out reflexively. This created an arms race that went so insane actual programs to stop the bombardment had to be created. So advertisers found ways to get past those which then adapted and...it's just never ending. With sponsored content at least a content creator gets a paycheck directly out of it. Which is the other issue with the internet; content creators need to eat and advertisers are often the only people willing to pay them.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Lol if you don't have Enrique shitpost for you

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Lol if you don't have Enrique shitpost for you

Sorry my Enrique is in the shop. My shitposts just don't have the same...well, enthusiasm that his do.

But we work with what we have, do we not?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Sorry my Enrique is in the shop. My shitposts just don't have the same...well, enthusiasm that his do.

But we work with what we have, do we not?

Man, if you took your Enrique to the good shop, they'd send you home with a loaner Julio that was nicer than your Enrique so you'll want to trade Enrique in on a nicer model an average of 6 months sooner.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

kizudarake posted:

Man, if you took your Enrique to the good shop, they'd send you home with a loaner Julio that was nicer than your Enrique so you'll want to trade Enrique in on a nicer model an average of 6 months sooner.

Lol if you don't have a spare Enrique for these occasions.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Non Serviam posted:

Lol if you don't have a spare Enrique for these occasions.

Well, yeah, but the loaner Julios are free, and you don't have to fill them up before returning them! (Unless you want to)

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Ryoshi posted:

I can't wait to see Yeah Bro actually contributing to a thread even once instead of walking in and making GBS threads it up like a smug idiot.

Dude migrated here from TVTropes back during the thread of '12. He was a big name in that thread. I think it went to his head.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Somfin posted:

Dude migrated here from TVTropes back during the thread of '12. He was a big name in that thread. I think it went to his head.

Please don't remind me that I used to post in lame mock threads.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Isn't this a lame mock thread, technically?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Isn't this a lame mock thread, technically?

Every thread is a lame mock thread here in SA Land.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Every thread is a lame mock thread here in SA Land.

And every goon is too good for them, and yet...

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Advertising is completely terrible. Sometimes it's just a company advertising a cool new thing you didn't know about that you might like. I don't mind the "hey there guy, *thing* exists and does *stuff* you might like it. It's $X and you can get it at *place.*" Sometimes it's a thing I haven't heard about. Product awareness is kind of a big deal. I can't buy *thing* if I don't know it even exists in the first place. If *thing* makes my life better somehow and $X is a price I can afford and don't mind spending on *thing* then yes I'll buy it.

The issue is that advertising is a wrapper around everything that's loving awful about corporate America. Why spend $1,000,000,000 making your product not suck when you can spend $300,000 on an advertising campaign and increase sales anyway? A lot of advertising is also built on annoying potential customers with obnoxious bullshit filled with misinformation. "You could save 15% on your car insurance!" Yeah, I also might be the Queen of England.

Of course word of mouth (like the recent purchases thread) is the best form of advertising but you have to kind of make something that somebody likes enough to tell their friends about in the first place. It's easier and more cost effective to churn out cheap garbage made by slave labor in Asia then spam adverts for it. Marketing as a whole is also heavily geared toward making things seem better than they actually are. Which is why you get stupid advertisements that try to convince you that the lavender-scented laundry detergent is actually ultra super luxury detergent that is almost too good for Donald Trump but they're doing everybody a favor for selling it for slightly more than regular laundry detergent.

In the case of the internet we've been so heavily bombarded by advertising for so long that we just tune most of it out reflexively. This created an arms race that went so insane actual programs to stop the bombardment had to be created. So advertisers found ways to get past those which then adapted and...it's just never ending. With sponsored content at least a content creator gets a paycheck directly out of it. Which is the other issue with the internet; content creators need to eat and advertisers are often the only people willing to pay them.

It depends on the company and the status of the product. New products tend to either have the "Hey this exists!" method of advertising (like, really new) or massive shock advertising in an attempt to make it go viral. It's very easy to have massive backlash to the latter on a new brand though so it's really risky. The reason advertising is so pervasive is that competition among most consumer products is very very high. Coca-cola may be the most well known brand but it still has to compete with Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, etc. That's why most coke ads are like "Hey, don't forget, coke exists." I just feel like most marketing that tries an appeal to humor or shock value is really loving bad, most advertisements aren't so bad that I've noticed.

The budgets for advertising are so massive because marketing doesn't just encompass making commercials or ads in magazines/billboards. It includes everything that has to do with a product being noticed and purchased (such as branding and public relations), and it's not like it costs $0 to pay the people to research, organize, analyze and develop information related to the product's market. Not to mention legal fees and defending the rights to your copyright and brand. Market analysis is not an easy and short task, it is very time consuming and requires many people with specialized skills to analyze and interpret the data. Of course there are companies that probably spend a disproportionate amount of their budget on advertising instead of practicing total quality control and paying their workers or improving service/product quality, McDonald's and Walmart both come to mind on that note.

You also talk about how advertisements make up tons of good sounding misinformation bullshit but you have to realize that a company isn't going to call its product garbage or mediocre. Why the hell would you want to give yourself bad publicity? Unless you make a factually incorrect claim such as the cereal nutrition from earlier in the thread advertisements can make any kind of qualitative or comparative claim.

The only kinds of advertisements and marketing plans that piss me off are the ones that prey on vulnerable and possibly uninformed markets like the elderly.

How Rude has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Dec 7, 2015

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

ToxicSlurpee posted:

...In the case of the internet we've been so heavily bombarded by advertising for so long that we just tune most of it out reflexively. This created an arms race that went so insane actual programs to stop the bombardment had to be created. So advertisers found ways to get past those which then adapted and...it's just never ending. With sponsored content at least a content creator gets a paycheck directly out of it. Which is the other issue with the internet; content creators need to eat and advertisers are often the only people willing to pay them.

Advertising overload, especially on mobile sites, has become self defeating. At my work, I get pitched by all kinds companies selling adspace and impressions, clicks, blah blah blah. They insist in having interstitial ads, pop-ups, side bars, headers, footers, sponsored content. All of it.

I don't believe in that style of advertising and try to stick to the classics. In person, events, print, TV, and radio. We of course do web advertising but it's secondary to the old-school methods and is very successful.

When one these advertising companies talks to me about the importance of pre-roll or click-bait ads (my words) I ask them, "What was the last pre-roll ad you saw on Youtube for?" How about the pop up ad in the last Youtube video you watched? When you went to your favorite news site or aggregator, what ad stood out to you? Do you like having a giant floating ad covering the page when you view a mobile version of a website? How does that make you want to return to the site?

They always get a blank look in their eyes and mentally lock up for a few seconds before re-setting back to the original pitch. They can never answer any of those questions. We're so good at overlooking advertising that we're probably missing ads that we might want to look at.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

mostlygray posted:

They always get a blank look in their eyes and mentally lock up for a few seconds before re-setting back to the original pitch. They can never answer any of those questions. We're so good at overlooking advertising that we're probably missing ads that we might want to look at.

That's why I argue that advertisement is really defeating itself at this point. The response to "people are sick of the spam and nuisance" has mostly been "spam more and be more irritating."

How Rude posted:

You also talk about how advertisements make up tons of good sounding misinformation bullshit but you have to realize that a company isn't going to call its product garbage or mediocre. Why the hell would you want to give yourself bad publicity? Unless you make a factually incorrect claim such as the cereal nutrition from earlier in the thread advertisements can make any kind of qualitative or comparative claim.

I understand that an advert is supposed to make a thing look desirable so you end up wanting it but it gets downright absurd. I brought up other cereal things earlier but adverts keep trying to push stuff as way, way more than it is. This is most apparent in advertisements that feel the need to turn literally everything into a luxury product that you deserve because you're special.

But then the most effective advertising is always advertising that preys on insecurities. If you don't buy your wife a new car every Christmas you aren't a real man and she'll never have sex with you again. loving scrub, can't drop $40,000 a year comfortably on luxury cars.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I used to sell SEO to people and it's a really sweet gigs, because most marketers are looking for a magic bullet, and most people don't understand computers enough to figure out what the hell we were actually selling. Great way to make 20k in a few months tbh.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

But then the most effective advertising is always advertising that preys on insecurities. If you don't buy your wife a new car every Christmas you aren't a real man and she'll never have sex with you again. loving scrub, can't drop $40,000 a year comfortably on luxury cars.

So like the new Best Buy 'Win the Holidays' campaign.

I'm watching the latest one and the young lady's buying Apple Watches, and iPhones, and iPads and her brother and grandparents are freaking out and I'm thinking, what kind of loving price limit do these people have on gifts? At least with the sad bald guy in the first commercial you could kind of justify his spending because guilt was probably fueling the gifts for his kids and maybe something for his wife since they're still only separated, the lawyer hasn't come back with the divorce papers, and he really hates living in his Ikea filled month-to-month apartment.

Win the Holidays. Win their Love.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's even simpler than guilt: if you don't win the holidays, then you're a loser. The way to win is to give better gifts than everyone else. Those better gifts are always the most expensive ones, because gently caress homemade crafts, sentimental gifts aren't worth poo poo when you resell them on eBay. People's tastes are confusing since you don't really know your family, but everyone loves Apple stuff and that's exactly what we have at best buy! Sign up for our credit card and you can buy your way to love victory with ease!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
PYF Adbusters Spec Essay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Xenoletum posted:

Come to think of it, it's weird Amazon.com and other online stores don't already have a "share your purchase on Facebook/Instagram/Snapchat/etc for 10% off handling fees" or something.

Obviously handling fees would be jacked up 10% in advance.