Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

zen death robot posted:

why does everyone in here hope they get rid of the headphone jack again?

because it will ease the transition to arm in the macbook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Penguissimo posted:

because it will ease the transition to arm in the macbook

:psyduck:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Bluetooth is great when it works but most of the time it's a mire of connection issues and lovely quality and lag

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THC posted:

earpods are nice for when I want to hear everything else besides my music
they are good for when i don't want to listen to music for more than 10 minutes because that's all they're comfortable for.

cremnob posted:

why does the DAC ahve to be in the earpods, the iphone's audio is already good
because lightning only outputs a digital signal, so lightning headphones have to have an integrated dac

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

Endless Mike posted:

they are good for when i don't want to listen to music for more than 10 minutes because that's all they're comfortable for.

because lightning only outputs a digital signal, so lightning headphones have to have an integrated dac

at least apple will still sell wireless beats by dre 2 headphones

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

oh yeah, and weren't they saying the next iPhone might have AirPods, wireless headphones?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
is it even possible for apple to re-purpose some pins in the lightning port or make an adapter with built in dac for stereo output when something compatible is detected?

after all they did basically build a mini 'computer' for airdisplay mirroring thing into the lightning-hdmi adapter

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Endless Mike posted:

clearly you should get cosmetic surgery so as to accept the holiness into your ear canals

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
quick reminder that all apple rumors are now undeniably correct because tim doesn't care about security

you'd think they'd have learned their lesson with the iphone 6 being too thin and bending with regular use, but tim has found yet another accessories revenue source

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

THC posted:

earpods are nice for when I want to hear everything else besides my music

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
earpods sound terrible and beats are tacky as poo poo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
literally, i think poop with a tacky consistency is called "beats by dre" on the bristol scale

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

honestly sennheisers are the pretentious brand now, it's the "i'm too smart to buy beats" brand

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i have a set of jabra bluetooth headphones and they sound okay but not as good as my cheapo sonys designed in like 1985.

the lovely chinese things i got for $12 sound better than earpods.

i do not like this wire-free future.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Stux posted:

earpods are fantastic so this is great imo

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PleasureKevin posted:

honestly sennheisers are the pretentious brand now, it's the "i'm too smart to buy beats" brand

i got the primo RHA earbuds from the store they own bones and are suitably pretentious

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
earpods are good if you need something quick to ignore homeless people but not much else

Typical Yosposter
Mar 30, 2015

PleasureKevin posted:

lmao look @ this idiot

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

DaNzA posted:

is it even possible for apple to re-purpose some pins in the lightning port or make an adapter with built in dac for stereo output when something compatible is detected?

after all they did basically build a mini 'computer' for airdisplay mirroring thing into the lightning-hdmi adapter

the whole point of Lightning is that it is purely a serial data so none of the pins can be repurposed for anything

making a little two inch Lightning-to-3.5mm cable that combines the DAC with the Lightning lockout chip would be trivial, though

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

PleasureKevin posted:

:psyduck::what::psyduck:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i keep my earpods in my bag if i need to hop on a conference call for work and need a mic

otherwise they're uncomfortable garbage

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

the whole point of Lightning is that it is purely a serial data so none of the pins can be repurposed for anything

making a little two inch Lightning-to-3.5mm cable that combines the DAC with the Lightning lockout chip would be trivial, though

yeah but it would cost $20 at least and the $10 knockoffs would sound like a tin can being dragged through feral cat alley

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

earpods are good

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

so now the rumor is independent left and right wireless headphones that charge inductively when you put them in a carrying case

this all seems incredibly specific for a product that's 9 months out

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

yeah but mark gurman reported it so its probably happening

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

DuckConference posted:

so now the rumor is independent left and right wireless headphones that charge inductively when you put them in a carrying case

this all seems incredibly specific for a product that's 9 months out

Lmao who's ready for 3hr battery life

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i don't follow the earphone market, but i imagine the best/most pretentious brands are ones that have been in the business for at least 30 years, probably more than 50

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Wheany posted:

i don't follow the earphone market, but i imagine the best/most pretentious brands are ones that have been in the business for at least 30 years, probably more than 50
yup

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

i find it hard to believe they would release apple music then turn around and release a flagship incompatible with 99.999% of headphones and the majority of cars. ive can't be dumb enough to value form over function that much, can he?

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

Shifty Pony posted:

i find it hard to believe they would release apple music then turn around and release a flagship incompatible with 99.999% of headphones and the majority of cars. ive can't be dumb enough to value form over function that much, can he?

yes, he can

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
headphone jack dongle for lightning, only $49.99

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

have you used ios7+?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Shifty Pony posted:

i wasnt aware there was a critical mass of cars who had aux in but not usb

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

earpods own. theyre incredibly more comfortable than other in ears because they dont have a dumb piece of rubber that slips out and is generally uncomfortable yet still have a decent level of bass and get good volume. 10/10 woiuld not use any other ear buds again in my life.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

uncurable mlady posted:

*raises paw* and my car is only 7 years old

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I hear meze 'phones are real nice but I have a hard time justifying paying 10x as much for headphones when the Sony ones sound just fine

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

uncurable mlady posted:

the average car on the road is 11 years old and it is only fairly recently that manufacturers started making usb and Bluetooth streaming integration standard

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Shifty Pony posted:

the average car on the road is 11 years old and it is only fairly recently that manufacturers started making usb and Bluetooth streaming integration standard

how many of those 11 year old cars have aux in even tho? i drive a 2006 domestic with a decent trim package, and aux in wasn't even an option that model year.

its sort of irrelevant because if they do get rid of 3.5mm jacks there'll be an adapter, probably included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

uncurable mlady posted:

its sort of irrelevant because if they do get rid of 3.5mm jacks there'll be an adapter, probably included.

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

not when there is money to be made.

• Locked thread