Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

CharlestheHammer posted:

They were a gift that was a good way for foreigners to join for a bit and make some cash.

They never really settled enough to be a political influence. Though generally not just any foreign group could join.

Mercenary bodyguards have worked out well for the Popes for a bit over 500 years. The difference being that il Papa can afford to pay them on time, every time. Pretty sure the third time he's late with the payroll, the Catholic Church gets a surprise new pontiff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I don't recall exactly when the elections stopped, though. Maybe under Tiberius, along with the rest of the neutering of the assemblies.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
In other news, birds are dinosaurs, and the smart ones are terrifying. Imagine a T. rex doing this at you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t4Zmw6l06U

I was afraid that lil' fluffball would take a finger off me when I let him stand on my hand, and he tried a few times, to the point we bought a pair of welding gloves specifically for handling the small dinosaur in the living room when he got unruly while out of his cage.

Same birb, pen and my soon-to-be-shredded hand for scale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nFCkwlRNgI

Chillbro Baggins has a new favorite as of 06:12 on Jun 11, 2018

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Turns out, my home town in Scotland is famous for being the site of the first recorded instance of a political assassination by gun. Yet I don't remember ever hearing about in our local history lessons.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Peeny Cheez posted:

Elections continued during the Principate and consuls--despite very much reduced in authority--continued to be appointed right up to the end.

sure but i didnt say consul i said head of state

CharlestheHammer posted:

You should put elections in quotes as they were more appointments. Though the office did still have its uses.

i mean i'll admit the republic seems to have been ill suited to enfranchise new entrants but it was at a few points a functioning governing body we just have had too many sons of tarquinius and too few of cincinatus

Former DILF has a new favorite as of 08:09 on Jun 11, 2018

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
and who was the republican head of state if not the consuls?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

first they were called praetores so theres that

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
As I recall one of the reasons the Varangian Guard was loyaler than usual was because they had a special privilege of being able to take as much as they could carry out of the imperial treasury when the emperor died of non-murder causes.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Who would have enforced that, though?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

C.M. Kruger posted:

As I recall one of the reasons the Varangian Guard was loyaler than usual was because they had a special privilege of being able to take as much as they could carry out of the imperial treasury when the emperor died of non-murder causes.

thats pretty badass

Former DILF has a new favorite as of 08:16 on Jun 11, 2018

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Kassad posted:

Who would have enforced that, though?

i think thats the genius of the varangian guard, a cultural other is less likely to be able to blend in after dishonor, they have more to prove and they're incapable of holding a city against the roman seige engineers

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Presumably the new emperor wouldn't complain about his new bodyguards taking a small bonus for successfully doing their jobs.

I've also heard speculation that it may have actually just been the officers who did the looting and they were supposed to split the gold up for their men.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Maybe Ragnvald Ingvarsson was one of them. He was a captain in the Varangian guard & his family relations can be charted somewhat via runestones in Sweden (e: meaning he was rich).

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 16:12 on Jun 11, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

C.M. Kruger posted:

This reputation exceeds the truth in at least two recorded instances. In 1071, after Emperor Romanos IV Diogenes was defeated by Sultan Alp Arslan, a palace coup was staged before he could return to Constantinople. Caesar John Doukas used the Varangian guard to depose the absent emperor, arrest Empress Eudoxia, and proclaim his nephew, stepson of Diogenes Michael VII, as emperor. Thus, instead of defending their absent emperor, the Varangians were used by the usurpers—proving their loyalty to the throne, if not always the current occupier of that throne. In a more sinister episode, the historian Joannes Zonaras reports the guard revolting against Nikephoros III Botaneiates after the blinding of the general Nikephoros Bryennios in 1078, "planning to kill him" but being suppressed by loyal troops. They subsequently asked for and received a pardon.[24]

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
the real trick is to get a bunch of golden vessels and fill them with coins

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Milo and POTUS posted:

the real trick is to get a bunch of golden vessels and fill them with coins

actually if you have a golden vessel you dont need any coins, so..

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Portaging a golden canoe out of constantinople

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Milo and POTUS posted:

Portaging a golden canoe out of constantinople

heck sail home yea

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Picturing a bunch of vikings in a golden canoe rowing across the palace floor and eastern europe

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Somehow I'd always just assumed that the MLK murder was pretty cut-and-dried. I had no idea that the assassin wandered around the world for months after, almost escaped to Africa, and that even the King family says he didn't do it and believe it was a shadowy JFK-esque conspiracy.

From a few pages back but the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis is located in the Lorraine motel, and after the tour you go across the street to a museum where Ray shot from, and it is very focused on the question of "was there a conspiracy?" The main museum easily takes 4+ hours though (and that's if you start skipping sections) so by the time we got across the street we were too tired to walk or read much else, but it was fascinating that there was so much to the theories, and that the museum was promoting it.

I did get to see James Earl Ray's dirty boxers on display at least.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

...cleaner than yours?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alcatraz East in Pigeon Forge has his dirty Adidas running shoes. Apparently he always jogged every day in prison until he died.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

...cleaner than yours?

And more importantly, which dirty boxers? Did he leave a pair behind like the diaper sniper? Did they get some from his mom's house when they first started looking for him? Or were they the ones he was wearing when they finally caught up to him?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

syscall girl posted:

And more importantly, which dirty boxers? Did he leave a pair behind like the diaper sniper? Did they get some from his mom's house when they first started looking for him? Or were they the ones he was wearing when they finally caught up to him?

And how do you ask for those to be sent to your museum? Was it something the curator specifically asked for, or did they ask for any James Earl Ray artifacts that weren't at another museum already and they just kinda shrugged and pulled out a pair of dirty underwear from the prison laundry?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Someone went to school for 8 years on historical social justice and their crowning achievement was procuring a criminals underpants.

Ok it was probably an intern working under their direction but there is almost for sure a doctor who signed off on buying someone's underpants.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

syscall girl posted:

Did he leave a pair behind like the diaper sniper?

As I understand it, yes. They were in a display case with a bunch of other crap he left behind in the room that was used as evidence. A little sign said that they go back and forth between displaying the boxers and a t-shirt in order to preserve them, so I got lucky that day I guess.

chitoryu12 posted:

Alcatraz East in Pigeon Forge has his dirty Adidas running shoes. Apparently he always jogged every day in prison until he died.

And his brief escape led to the founding of a 100-mile, 60-hour marathon! Admission costs $1.60, a license plate, a flannel shirt, and a pack of cigarettes. There's a decent documentary about the weirdo that founded it on Amazon Prime.

Edit: link to movie/trailer

Friend has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Jun 27, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Friend posted:

And his brief escape led to the founding of a 100-mile, 60-hour marathon! Admission costs $1.60, a license plate, a flannel shirt, and a pack of cigarettes. There's a decent documentary about the weirdo that founded it on Amazon Prime.

Ultramarathon runners are a special breed of crazy, goddamn. :magical:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Ultramarathon runners are a special breed of crazy, goddamn. :magical:

You ain't seen nothin' yet

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

No, no I hadn't.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The Barkely Marathon movie is extremely good

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pharoah Pepi II really hated flies. So in order to keep them away from him he would smear his slaves with honey so they would bother them instead.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Why not just smear the honey on a stick that you carry around

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

First time you'd get some attention.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Because then you can't laugh a the slaves being plagued by flies. Duh!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Because you're the pharaoh.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just picture the pharaoh from Yu-Gi-Oh The Abridged Series.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

He probably had more slaves than sticks. Plus he would have just had a slave carry the stick anyways.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Pharoah Pepi II really hated flies. So in order to keep them away from him he would smear his slaves with honey so they would bother them instead.

Who do you think had it worst? Being the Honey Slave that has to wash off honey and dead flies at the end of the day, or the Amputated Penis Slave who has to carry sacks of all the detached dicks back home so the pharaoh is shown proof of his generals' military might in battle?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
heck I'm starting to think being a slave is just a real raw deal in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
hosed up if true