Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Is the requirement of being an Afghan Special Forces operator to know how to aim down the sight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Richard Bong posted:

Ask and ye shall see wiener.
Warning dong!!1!:
https://i.imgur.com/TeXZaRL.jpg

I've been looking for this picture for years. Bless you.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Destro posted:

Is the requirement of being an Afghan Special Forces operator to know how to aim down the sight?

1. Aim and shoot your gun
2. Go down a fast rope without sitting on the ramp first
3. Don't kill your SF advisor

Welcome to the Special Forces!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

This is the cover of the new Chemical Brothers album, it's giving me a real cold war vibe, can anyone guess when/where it was taken?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I guess it's a pastiche of 1) a pic from Bosnia what with the DPM and the blue berets in an IFOR Challenger tank -

(this is a model)

- and 2) some rando pic of a European freeway that they might be driving down on the wrong side of the road. It looks like an older autobahn what with the non-existent left shoulder.

e: at least I'm pretty sure the background is not Bosnia :v:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

no luck searching every news photo on corbis tagged "tank europe" 1980-1997 but did find some gems

:nms:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I didn't even know you could wear a Chicom rig so low. Probably because I'm 6'2 and have a really broad chest so everything sits right over my nipples.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Its just planes doing test flights but I really like the light aircraft mil planes. Shame its definitely going no where despite making a ton of sense both for global partnerships and the fighting we're actually doing today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa6yJrQYNQc

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

Its just planes doing test flights but I really like the light aircraft mil planes. Shame its definitely going no where despite making a ton of sense both for global partnerships and the fighting we're actually doing today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa6yJrQYNQc

I agree that light military combat aircraft are cool as hell but what makes them make sense for the fighting we're doing today? Everyone has MANPADS these days and planes like these seem like they'd be fodder.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
MANPADS are a lot easier to defeat than real TacSAMs. We'd have saved hundreds of thousands of hours of airframe life on thousands of aircraft if the USAF had pulled its head out and actually pursued any of the dozen or so light tactical aircraft programs that have been started since 2002.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Godholio posted:

MANPADS are a lot easier to defeat than real TacSAMs. We'd have saved hundreds of thousands of hours of airframe life on thousands of aircraft if the USAF had pulled its head out and actually pursued any of the dozen or so light tactical aircraft programs that have been started since 2002.

This.

Theres lots of counter MANPADS solutions. You can buy a lot of flares in the cost delta between an F-15 and a Super Tuc

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
MANPADS are definitely a threat, and modern MANPADS will not bite easily onto flares at all. However, one of the real challenges of using MANPADS against even comparatively slow aircraft is that you're stuck eyeballing engagement envelope unless you have some kind of semi-advanced cueing,* which most insurgent forces don't have. So it can end up being pretty easy to either not take a valid shot out of fear you'll waste your missile or take a shot where the kinematics are not in your favor due to the aircraft not being terribly low to the ground, flying outbound, or otherwise on the wrong edge of the engagement envelope.

And as much as we like to say "everyone has MANPADS these days," that's not really true. Every major country has them, but the employment of modern MANPADS is not the norm from folks like ISIS or other insurgents. Otherwise, a shitload more US/Coalition helicopters would get shot down in places like Iraq, Syria, or Afghanistan.

*The Avenger fires Stingers, but it has on-board laser range-finding equipment to help the gunner decide whether or not to shoot. Marine Stinger teams have, or at least had years ago, digital RF networks built into their HMMWVs that give them Link 16 cueing down to the Stinger team. This means they can actually have a laptop out with a Link 16 picture in their Stinger hide site, to prep them for incoming threats with speed, altitude, aspect, etc, to help them make the shoot/no-shoot decision once they acquire the target visually and switch to a more traditional Stinger team employment. Helps with ID, of course, but also helps them not waste missiles on stuff outside the altitude envelope, and additionally helps make a good engagement on low and fast targets where your window of opportunity is very small.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 3, 2019

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Is that a bit opsec-y?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
No, it’s very much in unclassified open source publication. Exact altitude/ranges/engagement envelope would be a no-no, though.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Ok, just curious.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

mlmp08 posted:

No, it’s very much in unclassified open source publication. Exact altitude/ranges/engagement envelope would be a no-no, though.

I would like to learn more about exact altitude/ranges/engagement envelope.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
:nsamad:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Just PM it to me, I will keep it secret I pinky promise

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Me too please, I am a trustworthy US Army Corps Officer Joe A. Merica. If you would not like to PM the information because this is an unsecured website, I can send you a USB drive to place in your work computer so you can securely send me your response. Thank you sir.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Doesn't SA keep cc info on a plain text file? I'm sure it'll keep this missile information just as safe. ;)

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yes hallo I am Johnny Hamburger I would also like to know this information for american patriotic purposes, thanks and happy new year!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Opsec is overrated. We need more competition in the free arms market.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Opsec is overrated. We need more competition in the free arms market.

Libertarian SecDef?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
How do you rectify the NAP with being a SecDef?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Slim Pickens posted:

Yes hallo I am Johnny Hamburger I would also like to know this information for american patriotic purposes, thanks and happy new year!

This joke was moderately advanced and took me a second.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Might have sold me if it was Johnny Hamberder.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I chuckled pretty hard at happy new year

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

MANPADS are definitely a threat, and modern MANPADS will not bite easily onto flares at all. However, one of the real challenges of using MANPADS against even comparatively slow aircraft is that you're stuck eyeballing engagement envelope unless you have some kind of semi-advanced cueing,* which most insurgent forces don't have. So it can end up being pretty easy to either not take a valid shot out of fear you'll waste your missile or take a shot where the kinematics are not in your favor due to the aircraft not being terribly low to the ground, flying outbound, or otherwise on the wrong edge of the engagement envelope.

And as much as we like to say "everyone has MANPADS these days," that's not really true. Every major country has them, but the employment of modern MANPADS is not the norm from folks like ISIS or other insurgents. Otherwise, a shitload more US/Coalition helicopters would get shot down in places like Iraq, Syria, or Afghanistan.

*The Avenger fires Stingers, but it has on-board laser range-finding equipment to help the gunner decide whether or not to shoot. Marine Stinger teams have, or at least had years ago, digital RF networks built into their HMMWVs that give them Link 16 cueing down to the Stinger team. This means they can actually have a laptop out with a Link 16 picture in their Stinger hide site, to prep them for incoming threats with speed, altitude, aspect, etc, to help them make the shoot/no-shoot decision once they acquire the target visually and switch to a more traditional Stinger team employment. Helps with ID, of course, but also helps them not waste missiles on stuff outside the altitude envelope, and additionally helps make a good engagement on low and fast targets where your window of opportunity is very small.

That's cool, thanks. And I'll do you a solid by not asking extremely specific follow-up questions that you haven't already answered in your PM to me.

my kinda ape posted:

ok that was pretty good

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

my kinda ape posted:

Oh poo poo, now I get it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pryor on Fire posted:

They found the Japanese Battleship Hiei

Here's what it looked like from a B17 trying to finish off a badly damaged Hiei leaking oil with a stuck rudder

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
https://www.facebook.com/pg/rvpetrel/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2185795551455914

More pictures of the wreck

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Sunk ships related, I got recommended this YouTube channel where a former USN sonar operator analyses audio clips. I am just a simple civvie so I have no idea whether he is talking bullshit but he seems convincing and watches out for eventual OPSEC violations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBxaxWQ8wdc

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Video about a 747 aircraft carrier concept that was scrapped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drnxZlS9gyw

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I bet the Air Force never took to that concept in the 1980’s because calling their jets “microfighters” just reminded them what type of penis they had.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Fragrag posted:

Sunk ships related, I got recommended this YouTube channel where a former USN sonar operator analyses audio clips. I am just a simple civvie so I have no idea whether he is talking bullshit but he seems convincing and watches out for eventual OPSEC violations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBxaxWQ8wdc

The secret stuff about sonar is more about frequency response and the sound pressure levels needed to get a usable signal.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Another video from this guy that is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyXCeoKj4zQ

Some explanations that he didn't go in to ;

Test depth for a submarine is the mathematical depth a submarine can go to and be able to use the emergency blow system (by itself) and reach the surface. Crush depth is typically much deeper but the system will not work on it's own. The normal way a submarine changes depth is via propulsion and using the stern planes. With that they can escape from below test depth. So, loss of propulsion + below test depth = you're a new deep reef.

The freezing in the emergency blow system he talks about was caused because the high pressure air system that was used at the time did not remove moisture from the air being compressed. The pipes froze due to this.

Loss of the Thresher is what lead to the SUBSAFE program which changed a metric fuckload of things that contributed to the loss of that submarine. The program was still being retrofitted into the subs when the Scorpion was lost. It was due for the overhaul after it came in if I remember correctly.

edit : in the navy thread i said the navy never changes unless 100+ people die, this is an example of that being true. all of the flaws were known before hand.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Reforger
Apr 9, 2004

Master of Matebas
Got a question. There is a US term similar in meaning to the Russian "monkey model" for capability downgraded export weapons systems.

Do you know it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Reforger posted:

Got a question. There is a US term similar in meaning to the Russian "monkey model" for capability downgraded export weapons systems.

Do you know it?

Export variant?