Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Mr Hootington posted:

I haven't seen the movie and this was cut? How awful is xmen:apocalypse?
I honestly quite liked it and thought the enjoyable parts outweigh the boring parts -- there are character moments in the film that I have waited years to see realized onscreen -- but the boring parts are unfortunately pretty drat noticeably boring. DOFP was better and smarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

BrianWilly posted:

I honestly quite liked it and thought the enjoyable parts outweigh the boring parts -- there are character moments in the film that I have waited years to see realized onscreen -- but the boring parts are unfortunately pretty drat noticeably boring. DOFP was better and smarter.
I started to reply, but you nailed it. Finally getting a decent Scott/Jean made me very happy.

Looking forward to a director's cut, a la DOFP's Rogue Cut. Hopefully that deleted scene is there (with Nightcrawler breakdancing, of course).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SonicRulez posted:

That deleted scene confirms that they knew the X-kids were the best part of the movie and then cut them out to focus on more Magneto and Mystique. That movie deserved to fail.

Yep. It kind of felt like Spider-Man 3 in that fans really wanted Venom, and they really didn't know how to use him properly. Same with Apocalypse, they couldn't even be bothered to look at a comic or even an episode of the animated series to get more than old and powerful.

Also loving Angel. No one like Angel, stop putting him in movies, he sucks, especially when you try to turn him all bad rear end and poo poo without giving him the story that lead to him being Archangel in the comics.

Though that scene did not have the Dazzler album. Actually, here's a better movie plot. The kids sneak out to go see Dazzler, but while there she gets kidnapped by the Right and the kids have to save her. Or Purifiers or Reavers or Marauders or any of the other kill all mutants group, but not world ending apocalypse.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Mr Hootington posted:

I haven't seen the movie and this was cut? How awful is xmen:apocalypse?

I know I came off harsh, but it's really not an awful movie. I came out of it liking it even though, much like Suicide Squad, I don't think it was actually a good movie. Like twistedmentat and I touched on, the movie's got an issue where it focuses on all the wrong X-Men. The movie needs way less Mystique, less "Magneto, please be good", and more of the new mutants. Jean, Jubilee, Nightcrawler, Cyclops, Quicksilver. All of their scenes are the fun of the movie. What the movie does to Storm and Psylocke is pretty drat mean if you ask me, but that can be debated.

BrianWilly posted:

there are character moments in the film that I have waited years to see realized onscreen

I almost wish I could just enjoy stuff like this. My dad was telling me how much he enjoyed BvS just because he got to see Batman and Superman punch each other on the big screen. That's fair.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Dario the Wop posted:

Finally getting a decent Scott

That's an oxymoronic statement.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

There seems to be an ongoing trend where actors from House of Cards and Game of Thrones are wasted when they're cast in movies. Apocalypse is a good example of that where the new X-Men seem wasted because they want to capitalize on the stars of the film before their contracts expire.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Let's not forget how Bryan Cranston was horribly wasted in Godzilla 2014 in favor of the most boring generic soldier in cinematic history.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Let's not forget how Bryan Cranston was horribly wasted in Godzilla 2014 in favor of the most boring generic soldier in cinematic history.

Talk about a misleading loving trailer. Cranston is in nearly 90 seconds of a 2 minute trailer. loving Ford doesn't even speak during the drat trailer and is seen for like 10 seconds total. Yet he's the main character.

However, Godzilla's appearance in the trailer is, unfortunately, roughly proportional to its appearance in the movie. So there's that.

EDIT: Also, Captain Phasma in the new Star Wars film is played by the actor who does Brienne Tarth in Game of Thrones. And she has something like 3 lines, 3 minutes of screen time, and then is pushed into the garbage disposal. Though I don't think the trailers made her seem like a big loving deal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I would not have minded a movie where Godzilla barely appears if the movie was about a character who's relatable and played by a good actor, like say, Bryan Cranston. But no, let's focus on his incredibly boring son instead, who has no story reason to be in any scene past the one where his dad dies.

Really feels like they rewrote that script at the last minute to add weird soldier-worship.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I thought Godzilla was supposed to be as manifestation of Bryan Cranston or something?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I would not have minded a movie where Godzilla barely appears if the movie was about a character who's relatable and played by a good actor, like say, Bryan Cranston. But no, let's focus on his incredibly boring son instead, who has no story reason to be in any scene past the one where his dad dies.

Really feels like they rewrote that script at the last minute to add weird soldier-worship.

Unfortunately, you'll need a director like Jaws-era Spielberg to do something like that. I don't think Edwards was up for that challenge, and I seriously doubt I'll go to a theater to see another Godzilla movie that's under his watch.

I never really noticed the soldier-worship (not saying it isn't there). What I was irked about was the sudden turn of viewing Godzilla as either a force of nature or evil into blatantly a hero. The movie practically praises Godzilla as a savior near the end, and that's really bothered me.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Toxxupation posted:

That's an oxymoronic statement.
How dare you! CYCLOPS WAS RIGHT! :cool:

The post-credit tease was Essex Corporation picking up presumably Wolverine's blood, so next film may have Mr. Sinister and/or X-23. Hoping for both.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

Godzilla 2014 is an amazing goddamn movie, and it sits right toward the middle of the entire Toho screen canon as far as amount of time Godzilla himself is on screen, and his presence is felt throughout the entire movie in a way that very few of the other films ever manage.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Dario the Wop posted:

How dare you! CYCLOPS WAS RIGHT! :cool:

The post-credit tease was Essex Corporation picking up presumably Wolverine's blood, so next film may have Mr. Sinister and/or X-23. Hoping for both.

I just assumed that was a Wolverine 3 teaser.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
This actually makes me want to see the movie.

Travis343 posted:

Godzilla 2014 is an amazing goddamn movie, and it sits right toward the middle of the entire Toho screen canon as far as amount of time Godzilla himself is on screen, and his presence is felt throughout the entire movie in a way that very few of the other films ever manage.
Technically, it is on the low end but the point remains that it does a better job of showing Godzilla's impact than all the others combined.

It's such a boring complaint about the 2014 movie. The movie has issues, but lack of Godzilla is not one of them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Travis343 posted:

That doesn't make a single second of the soldier trying and failing incredibly hard to carry a scene any better. It's a completely average movie overall and the very real script and casting problems drag down the amazing parts like a huge lead anchor.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's such a boring complaint about the 2014 movie.

I wasn't aware movie criticism was scored on originality.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea i think a lot of people forget that for the majority of the Godzilla film series, he's a minor part of the movie. Humans and aliens tend to be the main focus. Godzilla shows up and steps on a few buildings and fights the monster, but that's like 20 minutes of the entire movie.

And yea, they got a good Storm and then wasted it like they wasted the kids.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

notthegoatseguy posted:

EDIT: Also, Captain Phasma in the new Star Wars film is played by the actor who does Brienne Tarth in Game of Thrones. And she has something like 3 lines, 3 minutes of screen time, and then is pushed into the garbage disposal. Though I don't think the trailers made her seem like a big loving deal.

They pretty much did the same thing to her in the last Hunger Games movie, minus the garbage disposal. They made a big deal when they cast her, and she ends up with 3 lines, 3 minutes of screen-time, and is barely even a character. It was a huge disappointment, just like the rest of that crummy movie.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Travis343 posted:

I love the beginning of the 2014 Godzilla because all the stuff about the nuclear reactor going critical and the tension and panic. It perfectly updates the message of Godzilla from '50's hysteria about atomic weapons to modern hysteria about old busted nuclear power stations (Fukashima.) And it works so well.

Then it jumps forward to follow Jar Jar Head. The soundtrack was wonderful however.

Personally I think most people just wanted Bryan Cranston to use some plutonium crystal Meth to become 500 foot tall and become HEISENBERGO-OH!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have read that Phasma is meant to be a major part of 2 and 3, but it was still a waste of a great actress.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

twistedmentat posted:

I have read that Phasma is meant to be a major part of 2 and 3, but it was still a waste of a great actress.
Which I don't understand because she easily could have been written out of TFA without anyone noticing.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

FlamingLiberal posted:

Which I don't understand because she easily could have been written out of TFA without anyone noticing.

But if they wanted to make her a big part just have her do that whole "Traitor!" Bit on the planet.
She smacks around Finn with a shock stick, gets shot by Chewbacca but survives. Job done.

Instead that trooper became the big star not her.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

notthegoatseguy posted:

I just assumed that was a Wolverine 3 teaser.
Wolvie 3 is gonna be Old Man Logan. I'm not optimistic, given Fox has no access to the various characters that colored that particular future. Although Patrick Stewart will be there so that's cool.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I though XM:A was pretty meh, but Jesus Christ the excised mall scene lowers my opinion of the film so much.

People of Color taking Nightcrawler in? Popnlocking Kurt? Jubilee playing arcade games? Scott calling out Jean for basing her look around Boy George?

Instead we get lots of scenes of Psylocke's tits and overdone planetary destruction that would fast-track a mutant holocaust, making X-Men 2000 impossible to happen. Yayyyyyyy

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

notthegoatseguy posted:

What I was irked about was the sudden turn of viewing Godzilla as either a force of nature or evil into blatantly a hero. The movie practically praises Godzilla as a savior near the end, and that's really bothered me.

He was basically a big scaly superhero in the Japanese version of the Silver Age.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

WickedHate posted:

He was basically a big scaly superhero in the Japanese version of the Silver Age.

Yeah, he had a victory dance and kids cheered him on and everything. He's only been a "force of nature" in like 4-5 movies, max.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

As far as I'm concerned, that victory dance validates Godzilla as a cultural icon.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
"Japanese version of the Silver Age" is the perfect way to describe those older films.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think that would make it the only use of Jubilee's powers too.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Godzilla 2014 is a 60s Godzilla movie made with the sensibilities and technology of a 2010s American blockbuster. Godzilla arises to fight giant bugs that eat radiation, is alternately aided by the human characters and rescues them, and then returns triumphantly to the sea while the humans cheer at the end. A lot of people weren't prepared for this but the movie gets 100% more fascinating once you realize it and watch it from this angle.

And the next movies are going to feature Godzilla fighting King Kong, and reintroducing Mothra and Rodan and Ghidorah. The Legendary movies are basically skipping the nuclear holocaust of the original Gojira and jumping right to Invasion of Astro-Monster and it's amazing. God I hope there's aliens.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It straight up is bullshit that we never got a Godzilla vs Gamera movie.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

That mall scene is confusing. How is nobody negatively reacting to Kurt?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't think it's really out there to think that those outside project monarch would think of Godzilla as the hero when they have only ever seen him appear to save their asses from the bad monsters, only the audience and like five people in the world have heard that one guys theory of what Godzilla is at this point

And yeah while I like the tension of not seeing Godzilla that much, the fact that every scene he or Cranston wasn't in was incredibly boring did not help the movie

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Cocks Cable posted:

I havn't seen Apocalypse but it's to show the new status quo how Mutants are cool now

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cocks Cable posted:

It's literally said in the intro that Mystique saving Nixon ushered in an era of mutant acceptance. I'm guessing watching a Blue skinned, red haired, yellow eyes shapeshifter on Live TV made everyone less goony about the way they look?

Then Magneto and Apoc destroy half the world and everyone's like "Hey New York and Sydney are smoldering ruins, so Muties... I'm not so sure about them anymore"

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness

I havent seen the movie yet, does Nightcrawler look that poo poo in the finished film?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think he looks fine. Also that scene is amazing. Definitely should have been in the film.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nothing But Hate posted:

I havent seen the movie yet, does Nightcrawler look that poo poo in the finished film?

He looks like a skinny, dorky teen coming to terms with his body.

Which is pretty much what all the Xteens in the movie are going through.
The makeup quality was probably a half-step in making sure they didn't have to give the actor Cummings' 4 hour makeup marathon sessions. Just like Mystique's bodysock.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would have overlooked literally everything wrong with BvS if this had been the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cocks Cable posted:

It was the 80s, everyone was on coke.

Seriously, as FilthyImp said, DOFP's actions helped make mutants more accepted and people not freaking out about them constantly.

Thinking about it, it's too bad they didn't adapt God Loves, Man Kills, because what's more 80s than Televangelists? I guess they already have Stryker as an officer, but you could just use say Cameron Hodge or Jim Jaspers instead.

• Locked thread