Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I feel like their main complaint was with the core game engine. The mechanics just aren’t that interesting and theres a universal optimal tactic. You don’t really make interesting decisions.

Yeah, I watched the battle report they did for it and it didn’t seem terribly deep. It was mostly squating on objectives and trading some blows. The game was base three turns, if the score is tied at the end of three you go into extra turns until someone leads. Most of the models seemed to have 7-8 wounds but could maybe do 2-3 in any given turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Might be the objectives they had.

Two games we played last night were hidden artifact (three treasures to pick up, only one is real) and burn and pillage (six objectives, burn one a turn if you hold it, first to burn four wins) and both games were rapid with a bunch of deaths.

What are GMG doing that people aren't getting killed?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Complaining about releases overwhelming your ability to paint is peak privilege.

Unless they're doing it in a tongue-in-cheek way.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Thundercloud posted:

Might be the objectives they had.

Two games we played last night were hidden artifact (three treasures to pick up, only one is real) and burn and pillage (six objectives, burn one a turn if you hold it, first to burn four wins) and both games were rapid with a bunch of deaths.

What are GMG doing that people aren't getting killed?

Maybe it was a mix of bad rolls and mismatched fights. Due to the take and hold objective they were sitting the big guys on points and skirmishing with the little ones.

Oh and build comp too, the one group didn’t show up till the last turn on the opposite end of the board where the fighting was taking place.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 31, 2019

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is there any chance the Warcry terrain is coming out separately or should I try to split a box with someone?

E: Perfect, thanks.

moths fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 31, 2019

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

moths posted:

Is there any chance the Warcry terrain is coming out separately or should I try to split a box with someone?

Yes, there will be multiple options.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

The stuff in the starter?

Likely not. Though there will be splits on ebay.

The terrain packs, 1 available this Saturday, 1 available next Saturday and a third to come out later? None of the terrain in them is new.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Thundercloud posted:

The stuff in the starter?

Likely not. Though there will be splits on ebay.

The terrain packs, 1 available this Saturday, 1 available next Saturday and a third to come out later? None of the terrain in them is new.

The one that isn't available this week or the week after looks to be the same terrain as the starter. Whether or not its the same amount of stuff is not known.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Huh. It looks like the Garden of Morr also took a price hike, so it's probably smarter to just get the terrain as soon as people start opening boxes...

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

moths posted:

Huh. It looks like the Garden of Morr also took a price hike, so it's probably smarter to just get the terrain as soon as people start opening boxes...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's because it will include cards for the terrain deployment in Warcry.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I want to paint the Corvus cabal all colourful and name their leader Dread Parrot Roberts

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Mugaaz posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's because it will include cards for the terrain deployment in Warcry.

It does, and also the cardboard mat, but you're also only getting half of the old set for $90 USD.

So it follows that after the initial WC box, the terrain will get similarly priced.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

The 3rd terrain box is Azyrite ruins, not the stuff from the starter.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

moths posted:

It does, and also the cardboard mat, but you're also only getting half of the old set for $90 USD.

So it follows that after the initial WC box, the terrain will get similarly priced.

So maybe I'm looking at it wrong but it looks like to me the warcry terrain box has most of the old set, not half. Looks like you don't get a second statue and second gate - but there is still six mausoleums and some fences.

Thundercloud posted:

The 3rd terrain box is Azyrite ruins, not the stuff from the starter.

Yeah, I was looking at the website and they list ruined city in the same place as the two scenery boxes but its just talking about the starter so I got confused and though that would be the third box.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think I was looking at it wrong - I found an old unboxing review and the new set has all of the old one plus all the Warcry bits.

The price is at $90, which is the same as the Sigmarite Mausoleum, which is the same kit as the old $60 Garden.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

moths posted:

The price is at $90, which is the same as the Sigmarite Mausoleum, which is the same kit as the old $60 Garden.

More specifically the Sigmarite Mausoleum is the same as 2 Garden of Morr kits. So it's a better deal if you need more terrain.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Well poo poo, this kit has had a very convoluted past.

Sigmarite Mausoleum does indeed have more buildings for the same price as the Warcry version. Although at this point I'm pretty sure any guess I'd make about what that means for upcoming Warcry terrain as AoS releases would be wrong.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Gen Con preview today.

Airplane game, Beastgrave and the next BloodBowl team - The Gwak'amoli Crater Gators (Lizardmen).

Airplane game looks alright but my group has a fair few games as it is. Lizardmen team looks dope.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So this is going to be Grimdark Not-X-Wing*?

*: More like X-Wang, ammirite?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
TINY PLANES TINY PLANES TINY PLANES

LIZARDMEN LIZARDMEN LIZARDMEN

:pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming:
I have been waiting a long time for a new lizardman team. I really like the saurus and the skinks are adorable if a little cartoony compared to the WHFB plastics. Curious to see what the chameleon skink does, it's not like lizardmen really needed a positional. Also, that turn counter rules.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Those skinks look like they were recruited out of a local performance of Chorus Line.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
They're smugly rage inducing, which is exactly what they should be. gently caress I'm pumped.

I wish they'd step up the BB release schedule. 4 teams/year when there are over 20 teams is garbage, especially when they're only 6-7 models and a couple of tokens.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

moths posted:

Well poo poo, this kit has had a very convoluted past.

Sigmarite Mausoleum does indeed have more buildings for the same price as the Warcry version. Although at this point I'm pretty sure any guess I'd make about what that means for upcoming Warcry terrain as AoS releases would be wrong.

Sigmarite Mausoleum has the same number of buildings - four crypts and two chapels - but one less each fence/gate sprue and building "base" sprue.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Safety Factor posted:

I have been waiting a long time for a new lizardman team. I really like the saurus and the skinks are adorable if a little cartoony compared to the WHFB plastics. Curious to see what the chameleon skink does, it's not like lizardmen really needed a positional. Also, that turn counter rules.

Those are cute as hell, and i just want them to paint. Goes for both the planes and the lizards.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Really want that plane game, if only for fun paint schemes on the Orc planes.

Safety Factor posted:

I'm gonna assume it's some kind of catcher or ball-handler. They don't really need this but it could sure help with Lizards in short leagues.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

I might get two of those planes for desk decoration

they're very cute

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
The planes are way too big for AT or epic right?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Supposedly not

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Nebalebadingdong posted:

The AT designers told me they'd need "an extremely good reason" to diverge from AT scale with the planes, and today the GW painter who did those planes and the titans said they were the same scale.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Does anyone know of the best place to buy old issues of White Dwarf? I just found out about the custom Legio for AT rules being in the July issue just in time for it to go out of stock.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Nebalebadingdong posted:

To expand on what Lovely Joe Stalin said, AI was "truescale" 6mm, and using those in Epic was just fine (other than the models taking up a LOT more space than their metal counterparts.)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

jadebullet posted:

Does anyone know of the best place to buy old issues of White Dwarf? I just found out about the custom Legio for AT rules being in the July issue just in time for it to go out of stock.

Ask the shopkeeper, they may well have simply taken them off the shelves. Failing that, online retailers often have back issues available, or check ebay.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Safety Factor posted:

Curious to see what the chameleon skink does

Die horribly :orks101:

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Nuffles wrath is only bestowed on useful players. If those skinks are dead weight then they'll be sturdier than a tree man with apothecary rerolls.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Ask the shopkeeper, they may well have simply taken them off the shelves. Failing that, online retailers often have back issues available, or check ebay.

I found out that unsold mags are photographed and claimed for credit with GW. The mags are then supposed to be destroyed (similar to how a bookstore rips covers and pages off a book.)

I've got a local store that sells back issues for $2, but it's a few months after the fact and it's hit or miss.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

jadebullet posted:

If you're in the UK, Element Games' website shows that issue in stock.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

If you are in the UK I have it in stock.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

jadebullet posted:

Oh, and the other answer is that you can buy it digitally now. Completely slipped my mind.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I guess Combat Arena is out, but not really?

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/toys-games-warhammer-40000-combat-arena/33834794?ean=5011921124244

$40 US seems like a decent price for the package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I just want two of the models so $40 is not bad.