Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

dpkg chopra posted:

Surprised we haven’t seen a surge of “due to issues with our payroll processing bank we require everyone to log in to this company portal and verify their bank account details”.

poo poo, that's a very good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The last time we had an in-person training event on phishing I was getting coffee and muttered out loud "it's easy for me to spot them because I don't use my work email for personal use like a moron"

I got very angry looks from the greybeards.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Someone on my team failed a phishing test last week. He sent a email to infosec saying that having the test emails come from barracuda was a bit confusing, we get spam digests and use it for "encrypted mail." Their reply was "you failed! Look out for a training email next week." I told him that infosec hamfistedly gave him a lesson that behavior analysis is more important than any technical signs of phishing.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

Like the loving Road Runner. BEEP BEEP and -phew-, nothing left but a cloud of dust shaped like a question mark middle finger.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Sundae posted:

So, that's where the culture war is sort of ongoing - a bunch of scientists used to the wild west of traditional R&D environments got promoted into leadership over GMP and quality functions where "the process" is everything. Some of them just don't get it or don't want to get it, but as more and more of them get punched in the face by regulatory agencies, they'll eventually figure it out or get KO'd and replaced. It's just irritating to see them keep loving up when we're telling them how to avoid stepping on the rakes in the first place.

There may be a way to bridge some aspects of the culture war by expressing the constraints in terms they respect? Are any of them used to grant-funded work? IRBs?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Omne posted:

"Would you take a paycut in exchange for a bit more equity? It's a win-win!"

Time to head for the exit

At least they're kind enough that the warning sign is in flashing red neon and you don't even need to read between the lines...

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Guy Axlerod posted:

Someone on my team failed a phishing test last week. He sent a email to infosec saying that having the test emails come from barracuda was a bit confusing, we get spam digests and use it for "encrypted mail." Their reply was "you failed! Look out for a training email next week." I told him that infosec hamfistedly gave him a lesson that behavior analysis is more important than any technical signs of phishing.

One of my reporters got dinged for failing one and now he reports every single email from IT as phishing.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

One of my reporters got dinged for failing one and now he reports every single email from IT as phishing.
I started doing this when IT was sending a new phishing-test email every few days. Now I either ignore emails from IT or report it as a virus threat.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I report projects I dont want to do as phishing then ignore them.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I started doing this when IT was sending a new phishing-test email every few days. Now I either ignore emails from IT or report it as a virus threat.

email terrorism, the equivalent of the sovereign citizen paper terrorism

(lmao)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Well, I resigned. After all that angst, pretty painless. My manager basically said "well, I don't blame you and off the record I look around now and again myself. If it's not a "jump into anything" then fair enough", so about as good as these things can go. He did the obligatory "any chance of a counter?" and I said no, so now it's all with HR.

Now the real guilt will start as I get to telling my team etc. I should probably do that sooner rather than later before things start trickling down from the top.

Barudak posted:

:hmmyes:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Barudak posted:

:bisonyes:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Barudak posted:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Barudak posted:

This will fit as a thread title, right?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Barudak posted:

:eyepop: :ohdear:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Barudak posted:

this post gave me inspiration so I dug out the employee survey from last week that I ignored, and reported it for phishing

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This is a maritime ticket and therefore out of scope for my team

Qubee
May 31, 2013

-snip-

Qubee fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 30, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Corporate Megathread: I report projects I don't want to do as phishing then ignore them

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I also LOL'd, but as a practical matter annoying IT is reeeeeally not a great idea.

Unless you are IT, if you are and it won't piss your boss off then go wild.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

I also LOL'd, but as a practical matter annoying IT is reeeeeally not a great idea.

Unless you are IT, if you are and it won't piss your boss off then go wild.

Will they retaliate?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Barudak posted:

I just saw you play through Witchhaven 2 in another thread so I can't fathom how horrible any project that you wouldn't want to do could even be

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Met with the managing partner at the tech firm. I think I might be doing this. Very much not sure this is the right choice, but if the comp works out I think it accelerates things for me by a couple years. I’m telling myself that I can always come back to big 4 if I don’t like it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the point of consulting, imo, is to get to freedom money ASAP and it sounds like this move fulfils that

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
First IT for phishing now concur is mad at me because I let a trip booking time out when I was in the middle of it. A kid clogged a toilet so I had to run off to contend with poop water for 2 hours and then took a well deserved shower and stiff drink to come back to warnings that the card may have been charged but no bookings were finalized. What a stupid rear end system I hate it so much.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

All hands dept meeting with 4 hours notice coming from a SVP. I know what this means.... at least I'm getting the meeting maker instead of not getting it.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

skipdogg posted:

All hands dept meeting with 4 hours notice coming from a SVP. I know what this means.... at least I'm getting the meeting maker instead of not getting it.

Everyone in the meeting is fired or everyone not in the meeting is fired.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Everyone in the meeting is fired or everyone not in the meeting is fired.

The folks who get the all hands are usually the ones who are not fired in my past experience. Posts on the thelayoff.com say folks were notified this morning unfortunately.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Didn't someone here have a story where they had a meeting for the "you're fired" and a meeting for the "you made the cut" going on at the same time but they realized partway through they messed up like half the invites so they made everyone go back to their desks and wait for new invites to be sent out?

I know these things suck real bad for people but I can never get enough of the executioner's tripping over their rear end trying to get up to the gallows.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
When COVID hit the place I was at asked managers to make lists of who they needed to keep to maintain the facilities in care and maintenance status, then handed that to HR as the list of people to lay off.

Then of course they had to rehire those people immediately and lay off the rest of the guys. It was a great week.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

skipdogg posted:

I got one of these a few years ago. It was a notification that my boss was getting a promotion and someone else would be replacing her. I liked that boss, but not enough to care that a 4hr notice all hands meeting was necessary to tell everyone.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Back when the small startup* I was at went under, they decided to let everyone know at the monthly birthday celebration we had because it was already on the calendar and almost everyone would actually come into the office for it. They still set everything up as normal - birthday decorations, cake, cookies, etc. - but instead of the CEO saying "Happy Birthday to all these folks this month! Let's celebrate!", he said "Sorry, we ran out of money, you're all out of a job. Have some cake as a consolation."

* I left corporate for this startup and went right back to corporate after. My startup life was very short-lived.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Hey, at least he said it directly to your faces.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Lockback posted:

Didn't someone here have a story where they had a meeting for the "you're fired" and a meeting for the "you made the cut" going on at the same time but they realized partway through they messed up like half the invites so they made everyone go back to their desks and wait for new invites to be sent out?

I know these things suck real bad for people but I can never get enough of the executioner's tripping over their rear end trying to get up to the gallows.

Isn't that what happened at Sports Illustrated a few years ago?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I dislike our switch to zoom phones, but I’m interested in tracking the number of callers who never leave a follow up voicemail, email, or text.

Zoom is never open unless I’m actively in a meeting, so I miss the majority of calls. I assume if they don’t attempt to make contact again, it wasn’t that important.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Heard this from a co-worker, hasn't happened to me.

Our company is pushing to have everyone track/enter their hours worked into the time system on a daily basis.

My co-worker missed entering their time on Tuesday.

The next day, they got an email from one of the folks leading the effort. My co-worker was told to remember to enter their time, but then was also told to enter their missing Tuesday time as Vacation/PTO time.

We work in the US. Assuming I heard everything correctly, is that legal? If this is the wrong place, is there a better place to ask (other than the NLRB)?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

As always it's best to ask a lawyer.

In general, PTO is not an entitlement unless it's contractually guaranteed. Docking you a PTO day for forgetting to punch the time clock is lovely but probably not illegal.

It seems obvious your co-worker, and probably also you, should immediately go Full Office Space and focus 100% of their attention on finding their next job.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Is the person leading the effort in your chain of command?

Personally I'd just ignore them and just document it accurately because that's completely insane. Especially if it's some HR rando

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
It's another point towards Office Space, but our org chart is nonsense, I have no idea where they stand in the overall chain. We used to report to Delivery Managers who would assign us to projects/teams based on our skillsets then reassign when the work was done, but recently they started switching to more traditional team organization. According to the current org chart, I don't report to my own manager and he doesn't report to his manager, but all 3 of us report up to this person, but we've never interacted with them. I'm not actively searching yet (have some other personal items I have to take care of before I tackle a new job search), but its on my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pretty sure they don't get to "one weird trick" you out of your pay. Put in the hours as they were, and make your real boss aware.