Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Pretty sure from lego's pov the spreadsheet is reporting things like:

Time in production
cost per hour
gross sales
gross margin

The people making the decisions probably don't give a single poo poo about the decision for the bulk of sets they make production decisions about as "is this enough of set 23423332" and are instead way more interested in "does this most efficiently use line 3 at the wherever plant". At best someone else is saying "don't make more of these, we have a ton in stock".

So yeah, they're going to have misses like this that drive fanchats and discussion and that's great soft marketing for them as long as it doesn't turn people off the product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Carbohydrates posted:

Because they were working off the assumption that this round would fly under the radar like the first one did. The first one required only 2,500 supporters each and took weeks to hit that for some of them. This time around, it was much bigger: more entries, more advertising, longer hype period, etc. So demand came through massively higher and they just weren't prepared for that.

Edit: plus, all the designs this time around were made by people who clearly know how to reach 10,000 supporters.

I think the public perception changed a lot between round 1 and 2. The first one was sort of confusing and it seemed like they were picking parts for MOCs and the whole thing felt low key. This one it feels like people are viewing them as super limited official sets. which is a problem.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

"I'm telling you Jerry, you just stack them up, put them in the closet and 18-24 months later ~*zrrrrrrrp*~ you turn around and flip them for a coooooool $200."
"They're children's toys, Kramer!"
"Oh there's no kids, I'm going through the scalper's haven now. Straight from the distributor! They're in Denmark, Jerry. Denmark! The kids don't even know they're missing out, it's victimless!"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Electromax posted:

"I'm telling you Jerry, you just stack them up, put them in the closet and 18-24 months later ~*zrrrrrrrp*~ you turn around and flip them for a coooooool $200."
"Oh there's no kids, I'm going through the scalper's haven now. Straight from the distributor! They're in Denmark, Jerry. Denmark! The kids don't even know they're missing out, it's victimless!"

Tone on this is perfect.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

I’m dead

This is the kinda thing that just sort of *evaporates* into nothing

And let me tell you, gently caress Seinfeld

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
... What?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Imagine liking Star Wars but not liking Seinfeld.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What's the deal with Star Wars?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It’s not death AND it’s not a star!

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

What is the question??

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
So Padme tells me she's pregnant, naturally I start to worry, and yadda yadda yadda all the younglings are dead

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

Imagine liking Star Wars but not liking Seinfeld.

Seinfeld wasn't funny. Neither was curb. The pregnant pauses where the laugh track was supposed to insert laughter while the stars mugged for camera were poo poo. That's a sign of poo poo comedic timing. Seinfeld himself was the least talented of the lot, followed closely by Larry David. Comedy that comes from "LOL ISN'T THIS SCENARIO THAT WE COOKED UP IN A LAB AWWWKARDDDD" is also poo poo. gently caress the uncreative lot of them.

There I said it. Got that poo poo off my chest after 23 or so years.

But if Friends (also not funny trash) got a set, sure, why not Seinfeld.

deoju fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 4, 2021

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Lol, no one cares.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Quote does not equal edit

Edit: I'm being a grumpy gus in a thread that doesn't normally have any negativity. Sorry.

deoju fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 4, 2021

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Can we go back to star wars spaceship naming argument?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I LIKES THAT THERE ARE ALL KINDS OF PURDY PINKS AND PURPLES AND THE PASTEL YELLOW IS REALLY VERY NICE :)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Star Wieners

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Electromax posted:

Congrats on the new thread title

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Jehde posted:

Can we go back to star wars spaceship naming argument?

Sure, what made Benatar a no-no word in the time since Infinity War?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I like that there's a Friends set because one of my friends who is not normally into Lego likes Friends, so I can give her Lego for her birthday without her hating it, well that's my opinion on sitcom Lego sets, thanks for reading, bye.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

Seinfeld theme but it's in the style of a Star Wars fanfare

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Time for the most iconic vehicle from the Back To The Future franchise: Marty's Toyota Hilux / SR5 4x4!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

corgski posted:

Congrats on the new thread title

It's amazing

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbohydrates posted:

Time for the most iconic vehicle from the Back To The Future franchise: Marty's Toyota Hilux / SR5 4x4!

Check out that 4x4!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Do you think the Seinfeld set will come with a high school age minifig for Jerry to date?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

deoju posted:

Seinfeld wasn't funny. Neither was curb. The pregnant pauses where the laugh track was supposed to insert laughter while the stars mugged for camera were poo poo. That's a sign of poo poo comedic timing. Seinfeld himself was the least talented of the lot, followed closely by Larry David. Comedy that comes from "LOL ISN'T THIS SCENARIO THAT WE COOKED UP IN A LAB AWWWKARDDDD" is also poo poo. gently caress the uncreative lot of them.

The only laugh I ever got out of any Seinfeld episode was the Black & White Cookie bit. Did *not* understand the appeal.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

seinfeld rules friends drools. the office was okay for a while

Electromax
May 6, 2007
We can all agree there is a significant lack of sets based on the 1990s sitcom Dinosaurs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Where's my SeaDuck model, lego??

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

xzzy posted:

Where's my SeaDuck model, lego??

Needs a dock with Higher for Hire office.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
This is a really broad question, but for people who do a lot of free building, how did you improve?

Is it just a matter of picking things to build and working on representing it in Lego?

I'd really like to be able to build some of the stuff i see in this thread but i have no idea where I'd even start with MOCs.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm definitely nowhere near on par with the thread skill level, but as with most things I think it's just doing the deed. Build and build, you'll develop a vocabulary of pieces and techniques and you'll develop shorthands for representation of various materials, forms, etc. Most of the elegance I see in, say, a Carbohydrates build comes from knowing the pieces and connections enough to be able to solve problems in multiple ways during a build.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Either get an idea and hack at it until you figure it out, or take technique inspiration from official sets and go wild with it.

Like this is basically an ecto-1 (the first ideas one) chassis with a new skin:

And this was completely built around the wheel arch design for the caterham set:

Microscale stuff is harder because it requires a lot more familiarity with tricks to get weird angles and small details but if you look at enough people's work you'll start to figure it out.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Seinfeld is a good show

Jerry Seinfeld is poo poo and was the worst thing about the show named after him

I also like star wars, star weiners, and Lego

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Get yourself a small set of lego creator, and then just make a pyramid, a ball, a cube, then a hollow pyramid, ball, cube. Make those same 3 forms in different sizes. Make them on top of each other. Make them next to each other. Make them inside each other. Make sure you're having fun, and you're thinking of this as "I wonder what I can do next" and not "now the list says to do z". Attitude matters a lot for getting your brain to make new connections.

This exercise, sometimes called "playing with forms" comes up in various ways in regular art classes, and is about learning what your media can do and training your eye to see forms instead of just shapes. The next step is to pick something real, that you own, and then sitting down to make a form-based-moc of it. The next step would be to pick -part- of the real thing and build that part out in detailed forms.

You can learn in other ways, and I'm sure people will suggest other ways, but this way is very translatable to different media and I think it's loose enough that it is the closest adults are going to come to the young kid doing it for the first time.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

deoju posted:

Seinfeld was a bad show, but it was a safe harbor in a sea of even worse shows. At the time it was amazing compared to the competition but taking it outside the context of endless 90s formula sitcoms shines a rather harsh light on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Lol amazing
https://twitter.com/manyapan/status/1411370216215486466