Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

CodfishCartographer posted:

lmao you're right, I would think by now either she'd learn not to suggest such reckless plans, or people would stop just going along with her. Maybe that's why only Kat and the robots came along - Kat's her best friend, and the robots don't know any better!
We literally had a whole chapter about her endangering innocent bystanders who were either too naive to understand the real dangers or didn't care because they valued the reward so much, because they were nonhuman and easily manipulable and it was lovely to take that for granted :negative:

But letting some yahoos they barely know come along who would basically do anything for Kat because Oh We Would Love To Help The Angel Of Course, who are extremely naive and clearly have no sense of personal danger because they just got their bodies a month ago, when Loup was last seen being extremely dangerous and lashing out, and the forest gods have always seen robots as toys they can break in half (reminder the robots feel pain now), all of that's fine!!! That's totally fine!!!

Like if it's about the earth movers, it clearly doesn't require robots to use them? Though if he'd set it up so they only worked when the robots use them, that would at least be a compelling reason. Kat showed them off by using them herself - Annie could've been the one using the movers. There is no reason for them to be there.

Seriously this entire thing is so bizarre and makes no loving sense. Why would they go in with this incredibly reckless plan against a capricious and dangerous all-powerful god who was last seen being completely out of his mind, they have literally no idea what he's willing to do or capable of aaaa :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Remember when Kat was so obsessed over the fact that Annie would die if she didn't invent a time machine that she broke her word to the ancient robots and revived them all so she could force them to work on her project in violation of their wishes? I thought that was supposed to be like, a sign of dangerous obsession and a lack of responsibility but I think it might have just been something that happened.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PubicMice posted:

One last, absolutely desperate cope: maybe Loup, being a dumb bullshit god who shouldn't exist, has some kind of power or effect that makes things and people and situations around him dumber.

this line of wishful thinking isn't uncommon in stories with really lousy villains. if a plot needs a badguy and the badguy is weakly written then the entire story suffers just from tolerating their presence

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

this line of wishful thinking isn't uncommon in stories with really lousy villains. if a plot needs a badguy and the badguy is weakly written then the entire story suffers just from tolerating their presence

series-in-av/post combo :smith:

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I feel it’s very homestuck act 6 right now: have what looks to be the beginnings of a big climatic showdown with real stakes and suddenly swerve into a no-stakes teen relationship drama with newly introduced characters we’ve had no chance to get attached to properly. I could kind of see the shape of where it could work - introduce it earlier with a focus on the robots and keep it there with the already established cult tension. But as of now it’s just “Where’s every other member of the cast that should be involved? What happened to everyone’s character development?”

There’s not even a mystery about Loup because we’ve literally read his entire inner monologue this whole time. Compared to Jeanne who was mysterious, threatening and slowly had her story unraveled through dedicated effort by Annie and Kat on-screen with a climatic showdown with real relationship consequences this is just a nothingburger.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
yeah i was wondering how the omega device was supposed to sidestep the whole "the universe is non-deterministic" thing

also homestuck didnt become truly intolerable until it descended into the third nested layer of act 6

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I do honestly like the notion of quantum sciences being a confused attempt at scientifically understanding something impossible to quantify that is easier to just accept as "magic ether"

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
We already had this conversation! gently caress!!! We know what Omega does, we know how ether works! I beg you, move on!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

worm girl posted:

We already had this conversation! gently caress!!! We know what Omega does, we know how ether works! I beg you, move on!

I think he's just stalling because he's not sure what to do next.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

kat said the omega device doesn't exist, that means she's 100% the omega device herself. that's just literalcy facts.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

There Bias Two posted:

I think he's just stalling because he's not sure what to do next.
I am not comfortable with Tom treating Gunnerkrigg like I treat my life.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
How I feel about the comic these days:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

CYBEReris posted:

kat said the omega device doesn't exist, that means she's 100% the omega device herself. that's just literalcy facts.
maybe coyote is the omega device, so she's technically right

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

worm girl posted:

I remember at the time, the most hopeful read was that Annie was bluffing and this wasn't what the Omega Device is, or she didn't learn it from her dad.
I believe we can call those theories 'unfortunately but not surprisingly false.'

Annie was being completely truthful with Jerrek and there was no trick.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

CYBEReris posted:

She has already used Norse god time travel powers to predict and control history so IDK what she's being so dense about here. "durr its impossible" girl you sent toucan sam 8 years into the past and made 50 clones of him so that your fire elemental psychopomp bff wouldnt die from being knocked off a bridge by a tree golem.

Them being dumb would be a lot more tolerable if they'd stop having the same conversation over and over again. The comic has been loving groundhog day for months.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
I'm going to confidently reassert my theory that Tom has literally lost his plot and is clumsily flailing around trying to write it on the fly.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Joe Slowboat posted:

or she didn't learn it from her dad.

lmao that's right, the most substantial and meaningful conversation between Annie and her dad, whose relationship has been a central plotline of the entire comic, about a huge mystery which has ALSO been built up the entire comic, happened off-screen

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

worm girl posted:

She has already used Norse god time travel powers to predict and control history so IDK what she's being so dense about here.

to be clear: anime norse gods

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I forget, was it established that Kat can't easily go revisit the anime norse gods? If not, casually being able to impact the past seems liek a pretty big plot thread / chekhov's gun to just leave hanging around if they need to go back in time to fix any big problems

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

worm girl posted:

She has already used Norse god time travel powers to predict and control history so IDK what she's being so dense about here. "durr its impossible" girl you sent toucan sam 8 years into the past and made 50 clones of him so that your fire elemental psychopomp bff wouldnt die from being knocked off a bridge by a tree golem.

Them being dumb would be a lot more tolerable if they'd stop having the same conversation over and over again. The comic has been loving groundhog day for months.

Yeah but you see Kat is science therefore she has no time for magic on account of being Cool and Rational

Please disregard all the times she has had time for magic

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Not to get too mock thread nitpicky about it, but I also feel like the art has been having an increasing amount of weird mistakes or characters drawn increasingly cartoony/off model, perhaps so they can be drawn quicker/easier. Like this very 👀 looking Kat (which also has Annie's eyes looking a little bit in different directions).

Here's my quick 10-minute attempt to fix the perspective on that a bit.

And this shot from a little while ago that stuck out to me, which, I'm not going to try to fix right now, but you can probably see it's a little messed up:

On their own I wouldn't give a poo poo, it's not like Gunnerkrigg has never had art that is rough around the edges - the consistency, storytelling, and characters more than made up for any weird bits here and there and errors are gonna happen when you're pumping out detailed pages on a thrice-weekly schedule. But when mistakes like this get to the inking and coloring phase, it feels a little bit like the artist is either rushing through it or no longer has the desire to spend as much time on it, and considering that's what's being discussed in the thread, I thought I'd bring it up.

I think someone mentioned he's having a kid recently, so I sympathize and I understand he maybe doesn't have as much time for the comic, but it does feel like it's suffering for it.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

I forget, was it established that Kat can't easily go revisit the anime norse gods? If not, casually being able to impact the past seems liek a pretty big plot thread / chekhov's gun to just leave hanging around if they need to go back in time to fix any big problems

The norns said that she would be back to visit them many, many times, but they weren't clear about whether that meant in Kat's future or via alternate timeline shenanigans.

PubicMice posted:

I'm going to confidently reassert my theory that Tom has literally lost his plot and is clumsily flailing around trying to write it on the fly.

If he really balked at the readers' reaction to Tony and went off script trying to change the story to avoid getting screamed at more then this all makes so much sense. He's a very meticulous and skilled writer and it was clear up until recently that things had been very thoroughly planned out in advance and the ideas in his head given time to mature.

Usually writers like Tom who plan carefully don't flub endings. It's guys like George R R Martin who come up with a ton of cool ideas as they go and then can't tie it all together. Usually.

Tiny Myers posted:

Not to get too mock thread nitpicky about it, but

I can't tell the difference between your edit and the actual one. I think he has just gotten better at drawing faster and more loosely and certain panels suffer from a less painstaking approach, but the comic looks much better overall I think. The shading in the last chapter seems like maybe a failed experiment but it's looking better than ever in this chapter.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Yeah, Tom's art is getting a little more loose and cartoony but it's not looking any worse for it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

bring back football head

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Art seems fine to me imo.

worm girl posted:

The norns said that she would be back to visit them many, many times, but they weren't clear about whether that meant in Kat's future or via alternate timeline shenanigans.

This is the first time I'm really thinking about this, but like...I wouldn't mind some kind of establishing as to WHY Kat hasn't tried revisiting the norns. Like, oh, Loup just buried a huge chunk of the court in earth, probably killing a bunch of people but even if not him burying all those robots is something we don't like. Might be a good idea to head to the norns and ask if we can drop a message in a bottle back to a few days before Annie and the gang confronts Loup to warn them it'll go bad. Even if it'll only help an alternate timeline, it still seems like something they'd at least try to do, if even only to help some alternate versions of themselves.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

worm girl posted:

i mean, the universe being non-deterministic is basically central to our scientific understanding of reality as a whole.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

A big flaming stink posted:

i mean, the universe being non-deterministic is basically central to our scientific understanding of reality as a whole.

I agree with you, but my best friend isn't an immortal fire witch, I've never time traveled, there are no active and visible gods in my immediate vicinity, and my dad isn't part of a gigantic conspiracy that has spent at least 25 years accurately predicting the future. I might assume the world is bigger than my understanding of it if I'd been the deuteragonist in a story where that was one of the main themes for 17 years.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Synthbuttrange posted:

bring back football head

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

worm girl posted:

If he really balked at the readers' reaction to Tony and went off script trying to change the story to avoid getting screamed at more then this all makes so much sense. He's a very meticulous and skilled writer and it was clear up until recently that things had been very thoroughly planned out in advance and the ideas in his head given time to mature.

if he pinned the entire story’s structure on its worst character then it was already doomed. Tony was unbearable well before the apologia chapter

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Oxxidation posted:

if he pinned the entire story’s structure on its worst character then it was already doomed. Tony was unbearable well before the apologia chapter
Tony was a great antagonist. I absolutely loved hating him and I would have really enjoyed him moving to Team Good Guys through a solid redemption arc. But we didn't get a redemption arc. We got an explanation about why none of this was his fault actually so you should love him now and that's... it.

e: And like, moving from absolute monster to potentially sympathetic character by showing different sides of him and how all this was him being a grieving dumbass with major brain problems rather than an active rear end in a top hat is yes a step in this, but you can't just keep repeating that step over and over until you get sick of people "not getting it"

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 26, 2022

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011
oh no oh my god we're still on the 'omega doesn't exist' phase, she doesn't know a loving thing, she absolutely doesn't know that jerrek is loup, that whole explanation was real

i'm out. thanks for posting.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Lol, I wonder how this'll go

https://twitter.com/gunnerkrigg/status/1529865387940134914

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit
I don't think most people who would go to that discord are hate-thread weirdos who obsess over webcomics they don't like, so it'll probably go fine?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
This isn't a hate thread it's a mourning thread

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
This has in fact turned into a hate-thread. I don't like it but that's how Something Awful topic-threads work.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
The comic should try being good again

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Art seems fine to me imo.

This is the first time I'm really thinking about this, but like...I wouldn't mind some kind of establishing as to WHY Kat hasn't tried revisiting the norns. Like, oh, Loup just buried a huge chunk of the court in earth, probably killing a bunch of people but even if not him burying all those robots is something we don't like. Might be a good idea to head to the norns and ask if we can drop a message in a bottle back to a few days before Annie and the gang confronts Loup to warn them it'll go bad. Even if it'll only help an alternate timeline, it still seems like something they'd at least try to do, if even only to help some alternate versions of themselves.

I don't think they need to address why the Norns aren't involved. Kat was transported to them as a one-off favor by her mom's Actual Goddess Friend, and they need to complete a closed time loop to avoid idk reality fracturing at some point. I wasn't really a fan of wrapping up the Tick Tocks like it did. Kind of felt like plans for them changed partway through the comic and Tom had to go and backfill in a new reason for them. But as a resolution it didn't leave any dangling questions... the opposite, really.

As for the whole omega device thing... they exist in a reality where humans can believe something hard enough or specifically enough that reality is completely rewritten from start to finish to include it. So like, could the omega device remove random causality from existence? I guess if you meet the right conditions for reality to make it so? It certainly would fit the broad impression that the Court Elites are given, of being so obsessed with how they "can't have nice (magic) things!" that they'd gently caress over everything to come out ahead and look smarter than everyone else. You know, at the cost of free will and self-determination. That'd be an interesting setup for an ultimate antagonist plan, at least.

It all fees a bit off though, because we plain haven't gotten much of substance about the Court at all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rumda posted:

The comic should try being good again

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

This has in fact turned into a hate-thread. I don't like it but that's how Something Awful topic-threads work.

then why were you still reading it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

CYBEReris posted:

Loup knows that but Annie and her team don't

Annie has been replaced by Loup (with another Loup, not another Annie).