Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Asimo posted:

And yeah the loot system for it is literally the worst. At least you're not longer limited to one per week and wind up screwed and behind par because you couldn't win a loving roll that week.

I actually liked the loot system for Alex because the lockout and the people that were super gung-ho about running it a million times until they got their shaft made it a lot easier for me to get my other items (and I just bought the pants/chest with tomes). Running it now makes me a little sad because everyone's lotting on everything and it sucks trying to outroll that many people for every item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Are there any goons on the EU datacenter?

Vorless
Oct 30, 2007

Hivac posted:

Preeeeeeeeeetty sure this is someone in dgkk

HELLO DGKK MEMBER VIDEO GAMES HERE. I DON'T EVEN HAVE SCHOLAR UNLOCKED. I'M A NICE PERSON. PLEASE NO BULLY.

edit: my lodestone for proof http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/14239694/

Vorless fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 29, 2017

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Vorless posted:

HELLO DGKK MEMBER VIDEO GAMES HERE. I DON'T EVEN HAVE SCHOLAR UNLOCKED. I'M A NICE PERSON. PLEASE NO BULLY.

edit: my lodestone for proof http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/14239694/

Prepare to get bullied, nerd

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wow. What a loving awful experience.

I got to the end of the 2.0 plotline and got a group of speedrunners who ran through every single bit of content and killed the bosses while I was trying to watch the cutscenes. What a completely lovely way to end the experience.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Vorless posted:

I'm going to cram you into a locker and take your lunch money

ImpAtom posted:

I got to the end of the 2.0 plotline and got a group of speedrunners who ran through every single bit of content and killed the bosses while I was trying to watch the cutscenes. What a completely lovely way to end the experience.

Yeah, that's why on Excalibur people suggest getting goon groups for that. It's real lovely.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

ImpAtom posted:

This is just how it works, unfortunately.

Just gently caress them and watch your cutscenes.

Vorless posted:

loving reported.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Tbf you're not missing much, other than context for cutscenes.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

ImpAtom posted:

You didn't get a group of speedrunners, you got a group that's identical to every other group in Duty Finder. No one except preformed groups watches cutscenes, because that'd probably more than double the amount of time spent in there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eopia posted:

You didn't get a group of speedrunners, you got a group that's identical to every other group in Duty Finder. No one except preformed groups watches cutscenes, because that'd probably more than double the amount of time spent in there.

Then that's pretty genuinely lovely design and has basically soured me on the game. If you're incapable of designing a plot-heavy missions with a lot of cool setpieces in a way that someone who is new to the experience can actually enjoy it then you've hosed up terribly. It sure looked neat except for the part where I might as well have watched it on Youtube.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
that was designed almost 4 years ago, they basically haven't done anything like that since for obvious reasons. now the vast majority of cutscenes are before entering instances or trigger upon clicking the exit portal at the end.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

ImpAtom posted:

Then that's pretty genuinely lovely design and has basically soured me on the game. If you're incapable of designing a plot-heavy missions with a lot of cool setpieces in a way that someone who is new to the experience can actually enjoy it then you've hosed up terribly. It sure looked neat except for the part where I might as well have watched it on Youtube.

Good news! SE learned from this mistake and it doesn't happen again. Every dungeon/raid cutscene from Praetorium on is either before or after the dungeon. All in-dungeon cutscenes are boss introductions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

Good news! SE learned from this mistake and it doesn't happen again. Every dungeon/raid cutscene from Praetorium on is either before or after the dungeon. All in-dungeon cutscenes are boss introductions.

I am genuinely glad to hear that.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
how long have the events of ARR and HW taken in-universe? a year? two years?

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Given that none of the characters have had any birthdays or any real sign they've aged I think it's supposed to be less than a year. Which for the Ishgard arc at least is a bit ridiculous but what can ya do?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ImpAtom posted:

I am so happy I formed a party with goons for that, even if it was with them being unsynced and just clowning the bosses super fast, at least I got to watch the cutscenes and KINDA experience the fights. By the way, if you're on Excalibur, I'm trying to collect other various newbies to the game that want to experience the old content fresh. I have this thing where I like to experience all the content in a game at least once, in some way, so I wanna see if I can get at least a total of 8 newbies to do some of the older stuff at appropriate ilvl. Since getting carried by level 60 unsynced people is hardly actually experiencing the content. I probably won't get enough people to experience the old raids that way but raids should still be sufficiently difficult that content can be experienced, the main problem being if anyone is even doing them anymore. I've already got about 4 people myself included, but we haven't really organized it much yet.

Vets who don't mind syncing down are also welcome, by the way.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Countblanc posted:

how long have the events of ARR and HW taken in-universe? a year? two years?

It's forever going to be five years after the cataclysm, but you can get some hints for how long it's really been such as it being at least three months between the end of 3.3 and the beginning of 3.4. Also at least two months between the end of 3.0 and 3.1, so Heavensward has taken place over the course of at least half a year in universe even if the devs refuse to acknowledge the passing of time. Basically any time dialogue refers to the passing of 'moons' that's at least one month that has passed in setting.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 29, 2017

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

If you're on excalibur, DGKK (or at least me and a few other people in DGKK) make a regular point to not only do cutscene-friendly goon runs of praetorium for brand noobs who want it, but do it ilvl synched, which not only synchs character level, but ilvl - all the way down to ilvl /42/ - so the bosses actually live for more than five seconds and you have to pay attention to mechanics. This /massively/ enhances the experience for the Nero, Gaius, and Ultima fights the first time around - Ultima is an incredibly cool and fun fight ilvl synched.

If you can hop in on one of these sometimes you might enjoy it a lot more the second time around - even after having seen it once duty finder style, several people who came in to help newbies do it had a blast seeing it 'for real'.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

There's a reason every goon guild chat and also this thread tells you to group with goons instead of pubbies to run those dungeons. :(

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Xun posted:

Are there any goons on the EU datacenter?

At least one. I'm on Shiva.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Vorless posted:

The glamour's pretty good. I don't really like the Makai set but it's a pretty good look.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

I actually liked the loot system for Alex because the lockout and the people that were super gung-ho about running it a million times until they got their shaft made it a lot easier for me to get my other items (and I just bought the pants/chest with tomes). Running it now makes me a little sad because everyone's lotting on everything and it sucks trying to outroll that many people for every item.

Yeah, it's definitely the pits for me trying to finish up gearing an alt. It's really frustrating to go through A11 or A12 which a lot of people still struggle with (or are new) only to lose the only roll I came for.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Vorless posted:

Mystic Cave zOWNd posted:

There's a Video Games on my server aswell and I've seen that exact advert from them except it was like 90th percentile and included the phase "no shitters"
I've talked to them before and they're actually mostly chill but at the same time it's probably serious

e: Actually speaking of the PF, on my server everyone says "practice" but the entire rest of the datacenter seems to say "training" and I find it really weird.
welp, I guess that pf is a real thing then, lmao. I was certain it was some goon just making GBS threads up the pf for giggles

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Fighting everyone for bolts was the worst part of the Alex loot system. A1/A5/A9 should have handed those out like candy.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Does nobody remember when Alex released and the tokens were just random? The current implementation will always be better than that.

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun
That doesn't mean that the system isn't still poo poo, though.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

One of the reasons I am continually impressed with the FFXIV team is their ability to learn from mistakes and generally not repeat them. While it's obvious that they were going with a traditional plot-heavy JRPG Final Dungeon style for Praetorium, that just doesn't work in a MMO. The HW equivalent works a lot better; a standard dungeon with only a single cutscene of any length that still is pretty short, then you unlock a separate trial for the Final Boss.

As always, if you are on Excalibur, wrangle goons for newbie runs of content (we get rewarded for joining you and are also amenable to things like cutscene runs of content, minimum gear level runs, etc).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I hope that in Stormblood, they get cross-world parties working to a level where it phases everyone who joins into the leader's world instance like WoW does.

Still limit their access to the Market, Trading or whatever else, but just so that people can play together outside of duty using it.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
FATE parties would definitely benefit from cross server instancing. PF is already a good step.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SonicRulez posted:

Yeah, it's definitely the pits for me trying to finish up gearing an alt. It's really frustrating to go through A11 or A12 which a lot of people still struggle with (or are new) only to lose the only roll I came for.

Ask goons for crafted 250 for the parts that you haven't been able to get via alex yet. The mats can be purchased pretty cheap and/or with lore and other currencies.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

chinese barbecue porp posted:

FATE parties would definitely benefit from cross server instancing. PF is already a good step.

Cross server zones are one of the worst things about WoW right now, so anything that brings us a step closer to that I see as a bad thing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Imagine hunting S ranks with cross server zones.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ask goons for crafted 250 for the parts that you haven't been able to get via alex yet. The mats can be purchased pretty cheap and/or with lore and other currencies.

I went and did that for the left side on my first alt job. Cost me a pretty penny, but it was a big boon. I've been at this for a while now though, so I only need 3 shafts. I'd rather finish out the set than go broke again/lose out on Umbrite.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Mr. Nice! posted:

Imagine hunting S ranks with cross server zones.

I was thinking more along the lines of temporary party taxi rather than true cross server zones but good point.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I think this relic step getting nothing out of sub level 60 duties was a mistake. Even if it was the weakest light guaranteed on lower duties to keep people from just grinding garuda. I have zero incentive right now to run any of my roulettes except expert and 60 and I don't even want to run them because I'm capped. Trial roulette, 50dr, mentor roulette, LLDR, story roulette, and guildhest roulette are completely pointless for me to run.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

At least one. I'm on Shiva.

How active is the sever? And what are the odds of finding some chill FC to play with? Preferably an English or Finnish speaking one lol

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think this relic step getting nothing out of sub level 60 duties was a mistake. Even if it was the weakest light guaranteed on lower duties to keep people from just grinding garuda. I have zero incentive right now to run any of my roulettes except expert and 60 and I don't even want to run them because I'm capped. Trial roulette, 50dr, mentor roulette, LLDR, story roulette, and guildhest roulette are completely pointless for me to run.

Lots of people are still on the unidentifiable/umbrite steps, and those benefit from doing everything you can. I've been having to do the lower level content to finish up alt classes and the queue times are about the same as they've always been. It might even be that not as many people were running the max level content because they didn't incentivize that enough?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Wolpertinger posted:

If you're on excalibur, DGKK (or at least me and a few other people in DGKK) make a regular point to not only do cutscene-friendly goon runs of praetorium for brand noobs who want it, but do it ilvl synched, which not only synchs character level, but ilvl - all the way down to ilvl /42/ - so the bosses actually live for more than five seconds and you have to pay attention to mechanics. This /massively/ enhances the experience for the Nero, Gaius, and Ultima fights the first time around - Ultima is an incredibly cool and fun fight ilvl synched.

If you can hop in on one of these sometimes you might enjoy it a lot more the second time around - even after having seen it once duty finder style, several people who came in to help newbies do it had a blast seeing it 'for real'.

I only just came back to the game after 1.5+ years, but I'd totally be up for doing this if you're around sometime today, ImpAtom (though I think I'm in PBC, not DGKK). Its a shame praetorium doesn't work with randoms, because its genuinely a kickass "JRPG final dungeon" when done "properly". I'm almost always down for running it.

It'd be a good way to readjust to one of my jobs too. :v:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Lots of people are still on the unidentifiable/umbrite steps, and those benefit from doing everything you can. I've been having to do the lower level content to finish up alt classes and the queue times are about the same as they've always been. It might even be that not as many people were running the max level content because they didn't incentivize that enough?

The problem is i have exactly two roulettes to run max level content with people. Mentor and trial roulette can give level 60 duties, but rarely do. I've got no reason right now to do any sub 60 duty where all previous relic steps gave some.

If there was an alexander roulette or maybe some way to ensure that others put me into useful duties i would do that instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Another thing that's possible (though way less likely than just asking your FC) is to just ask your DF group when it first starts. I remember getting Castrum Meridianum in MSQ roulette and there was a newbie and sure enough, we all stopped for every cutscene. Nobody even mentioned it in chat, it just happened. I realize in hindsight that perhaps that newbie was grouped with a few FC mates of their own, but it still happened when I didn't expect it to. The community in this game is very nice.

• Locked thread