Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Just found the map setting that shows you all the ? Marks. On the one hand, wow, way to remove all the mystery from exploration, game. On the other hand, now I've got ability points for days, enough to max out every single blue tile I currently have equipped. So, you know, life is about give and take, and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Spergatory posted:

Just found the map setting that shows you all the ? Marks. On the one hand, wow, way to remove all the mystery from exploration, game. On the other hand, now I've got ability points for days, enough to max out every single blue tile I currently have equipped. So, you know, life is about give and take, and whatnot.

I think that setting is best ignored and forgotten and just explore the world and find stuff naturally. Witcher 3 is not a min-max/character building game like Diablo.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Yeah they took that out of the default map view for a reason. They're supposed to be little interesting things you run into as you explore but seeing them all on the map gets the completionist juices flowing and makes you feel like you have to run through them all.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Spergatory posted:

let us know your thoughts once you finish the Bloody Baron quest chain and how that all turned out

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

It encourages you to go back and apply the Severance Rune which is the only one worth putting on your swords. Double the range on your whirl and rend attacks.

Permanent armor and weapon buff on your steel sword

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Got around to doing that new quest. Hrrrm. Should have gotten Cavill to do Reinald. Got Terminal Gamer Brain, would have done it for free most likely. Should also have gotten him to slot in at least one dry "gently caress".
Senseless waste. Can't be fixed now.

(Now that I'm having a laugh with it, I wonder why W3's writers chose to write Geralt's inner monologue like he's bloody Rorschach. Was it also that way in W1/W2 ? I don't remember.)

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Spergatory posted:

oh also, you mentioned going more for a Signs build, if you haven't already definitely get and equip the Griffing School Armor Techniques or w/e generic 1-point ability. it is extremely good, gives you a massive amount more stamina to cast Signs

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Fritz the Horse posted:

let us know your thoughts once you finish the Bloody Baron quest chain and how that all turned out

I got the outcome where he takes his wife off to some healer in the mountains. Dude was undoubtedly a piece of poo poo. Will he change? Can a man like that truly change? Who knows? But I'm going to go ahead and state that while she probably wouldn't want to be entrusted to his care again, she definitely also would not have wanted to raise children for the Child Eaters, so it's between a rock and a hard place. At least the daughter got away more or less cleanly (to join fundamentalist religious cult).

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I screwed up "Without a Trace" and just reported back to the herbalist to say wolves got his apprentice. I immediately realized I misseed something when I saw the bloody ribs on his table. I thought the story was going to be that a gang of halfling cannibals led by the herbalist chased him and ate him. Read the spoilers and was disappointed.

Early on in Velen I also got attacked by some cannibals and even took out what looked like a whole cannibal meat market, yet no quest or explanation of what the deal was.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kobal2 posted:

Got around to doing that new quest. Hrrrm. Should have gotten Cavill to do Reinald. Got Terminal Gamer Brain, would have done it for free most likely. Should also have gotten him to slot in at least one dry "gently caress".
Senseless waste. Can't be fixed now.

(Now that I'm having a laugh with it, I wonder why W3's writers chose to write Geralt's inner monologue like he's bloody Rorschach. Was it also that way in W1/W2 ? I don't remember.)

I assume its a bit of "he is on the path so much and can either talk to himself or the horses" so he is just used to talking to himself so much. i believe someone calls him out on it in a dlc or some quest, possibly lambert? he does it a bit in 2 but not as much. alot of games since 3 do it now.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Spergatory posted:

I got the outcome where he takes his wife off to some healer in the mountains. Dude was undoubtedly a piece of poo poo. Will he change? Can a man like that truly change? Who knows? But I'm going to go ahead and state that while she probably wouldn't want to be entrusted to his care again, she definitely also would not have wanted to raise children for the Child Eaters, so it's between a rock and a hard place. At least the daughter got away more or less cleanly (to join fundamentalist religious cult).

Unless you went with a certain sequence-breaking order that results in an ambiguous ending, this ending also results in you freeing the spirit under the Whispering Hillock, which is some sort of ancient evil. It's unclear what it actually is, there's a book in-game that refers to it as the Crones' mother iirc and there are references to an ancient non-human group of druids or something. The spirit rescues the orphans from the Crones (check at the orphanage in Novigrad when you get there!) but kills everyone in the village, which you could argue is justified. You're still unleashing something bad and powerful into the world.

IIRC no matter what ending you get with the Bloody Baron, nothing really changes for the peasants in Velen. The Baron's men are even worse at brutalizing the people without him around.

Way way back this thread (I think?) coined the label "peasant misery simulator" for Velen and it's pretty apt.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is there a way to transfer my save file from the Switch to the PS5 yet? Do I have to use a GOG.com account as a go-between? Would that require me to buy the PC version? Because if so, lol, no.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Fritz the Horse posted:

Unless you went with a certain sequence-breaking order that results in an ambiguous ending, this ending also results in you freeing the spirit under the Whispering Hillock, which is some sort of ancient evil. It's unclear what it actually is, there's a book in-game that refers to it as the Crones' mother iirc and there are references to an ancient non-human group of druids or something. The spirit rescues the orphans from the Crones (check at the orphanage in Novigrad when you get there!) but kills everyone in the village, which you could argue is justified. You're still unleashing something bad and powerful into the world.

Nah, I killed that thing. It was the first time I really got the option to say I didn't trust something, so I figured there was a reason not to trust it. It sent ants after me. Ants!

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I assume its a bit of "he is on the path so much and can either talk to himself or the horses" so he is just used to talking to himself so much. i believe someone calls him out on it in a dlc or some quest, possibly lambert? he does it a bit in 2 but not as much. alot of games since 3 do it now.

It's not so much "he talks to himself/his horse", it's more "Short declarative sentences. No articles nor pronouns if can be helped, maybe turned into the passive voice. No subjects to any verb ever. Unneeded. Extravagance. Syntax fragments good enough."

I mean, *I* loving talk to myself. A lot. Not like I'm my own Batman tho.
Maybe I'm missing out.

(ETA : and it's all the funnier/more salient that when he *actually* talks to other people he doesn't do it ; even people he wants to impress or threaten or what have you.
It's just for his own private little batmanees.)

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 27, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Spergatory posted:

Nah, I killed that thing. It was the first time I really got the option to say I didn't trust something, so I figured there was a reason not to trust it. It sent ants after me. Ants!

I think I'm misremembering the possible outcomes then. You might've let the orphans get eaten by the Crones lol

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Fritz the Horse posted:

I think I'm misremembering the possible outcomes then. You might've let the orphans get eaten by the Crones lol

Sounds like people die no matter what. At least with the Orphans, there's no one left to miss them! I call that a win.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is there a way to transfer my save file from the Switch to the PS5 yet? Do I have to use a GOG.com account as a go-between? Would that require me to buy the PC version? Because if so, lol, no.

Quoting myself but the way to do it is send your v3.7 Switch save to PC to upgrade it to v4.0, which allows you to send it to the PS5. Requires the PC version but I don’t even have a PC, let alone one that could run Witcher 3 so I guess I’ll wait until they release v4.0 for Switch???

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Spergatory posted:

Sounds like people die no matter what. At least with the Orphans, there's no one left to miss them! I call that a win.

Nah, they're not orphans, they're children sent down the "trail of treats" by their parents so the parents can have their food. Velen is starving and the parents figure it's better to send their littlest kids to the demonic bog Witches as a snack rather than watch them starve to death.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Arc Hammer posted:

Nah, they're not orphans, they're children sent down the "trail of treats" by their parents so the parents can have their food. Velen is starving and the parents figure it's better to send their littlest kids to the demonic bog Witches as a snack rather than watch them starve to death.

spoilers for much later in the game, Spergatory don't read: the villagers also sacrifice some of their young adults in exchange for magic acorns. It's pretty much a deal with the devil; they sacrifice kids in exchange for some magical trinkets and less mouths to feed and the Crones get fed.

and yes, there are no "good" outcomes. this is a recurring theme in W3, no matter which choices you make there's gonna be bad outcomes, not really black and white, shades of gray etc.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

So basically what you're saying is their parents have already written them off as dead? Well, sounds to me like them actually dying has very little material effect on their lives! They wouldn't even notice. No harm, no foul!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I think I'm going to be good to go for two of the three big ending elements I've never experienced (Djikstra wins the war, failed threesome), but I might not be able to go through with the biggest one (Ciri dies). Something about it being a fresh new slate makes me want to go for at least somewhat of a happy ending.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Arc Hammer posted:

Their parents don't *precisely* know but assume they're dead (or worse). I know they happen to be exceedingly loving dead (or worse). For, um, Reasons.

But I'm the bad guy ?!

[ETA : sarcasm aside, I wish the dialogue of that quest kinda sorta made it more explicit what the stakes were.

Like, the Crones neither threaten the kids, or say they'll kill/eat the kids if you don't kill the Thing, in fact they don't say *anything* about the kids. And the Thing says whatever but of course it knows you're here to kill it, and it's... about as gross as the Crones are so implicitly, as the quest is structured, you're likely to kill it even after hearing it out. Devil you know and that.

And then they smack you with the consequences, but IMO this quest tugs hard at your hearstrings over bullshit. It's not like you knowingly had to make the "kids or wife ?" choice. THAT would have been poignant. As it stands, if you strip the affects and the music and the, yaknow, art of it all ; it's just "well, gently caress you either way, lol". You can't predict ANYTHING about any of the results of those choices, because the results have very little to do with anything you're presented with.
Compare and contrast with, e.g. dealing with the Scoiatel & the smuggler in W1. It's weapons. They're terrorists. Maybe you don't believe they're that, or you sympathize, or whatever ; but when those terrorists murder someone with the weapons you *actively, knowingly let them have*, either it's not a surprise or it's a "gently caress." moment.
Neither of the Crones decision ever hit me that way. They do whatever they loving like/whatever hurts most anyway.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 28, 2022

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Is there any way to disable Dandelion's recaps every time you load a save? They wouldn't be so bad if the game didn't keep loving crashing, but alas, it does, and I'm tired of him artificially lengthening the load times. I'm on PS5, Dandelion! The console is faster than you now, give it a rest!

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

Only surprising change in the new patch was the fisheye effect for Witcher senses defaulting to off in the settings. I turned that right back on; what kind of sicko doesn't want the weird lensing when chasing stuff in Witcher vision?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Huh, now that you mention it I hadn't even noticed the effect was gone

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

ShakeZula posted:

I think I'm going to be good to go for two of the three big ending elements I've never experienced (Djikstra wins the war, failed threesome), but I might not be able to go through with the biggest one (Ciri dies). Something about it being a fresh new slate makes me want to go for at least somewhat of a happy ending.

Dijkstra wins the war is easily the best outcome.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

ShakeZula posted:

It's pretty heavily implied she doesn't actually die though. The tapestry the surviving crone is weaving in that ending shows a bird (that could definitely be a swallow) flying away from the tower. It was pretty illegible in the old version but with the update it's now higher resolution and upright instead of on a table so you can actually see what it's depicting. Still not a happy ending, of course.

Spergatory posted:

Is there any way to disable Dandelion's recaps every time you load a save? They wouldn't be so bad if the game didn't keep loving crashing, but alas, it does, and I'm tired of him artificially lengthening the load times. I'm on PS5, Dandelion! The console is faster than you now, give it a rest!

I don't think so. There's a mod for that on PC (not sure if it's updated, but I'd guess it doesn't need to be), and if it was a setting there'd have been no need to make a mod. Unless one was added in the update, but I don't think so.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Not necessarily a happy one, though.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Maybe politically, if Geralt is able to accurately predict the future

The in-the-moment decision that leads to it is not one he'd ever pick though

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
gently caress Roche. Racist prick.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Staltran posted:

It's pretty heavily implied she doesn't actually die though. The tapestry the surviving crone is weaving in that ending shows a bird (that could definitely be a swallow) flying away from the tower. It was pretty illegible in the old version but with the update it's now higher resolution and upright instead of on a table so you can actually see what it's depicting. Still not a happy ending, of course.

Interesting. I've literally never seen that ending at all, so it might be worth doing if only for the new experience. Might save it for a true "everybody dies/leaves Geralt" run at some point though - betray Roche, don't help the mages escape, don't help either of Crach's kids, let Keira go to Radovid, let Lambert die in the battle, all of it. I've already made that impossible this time around by going for the Recruit Everybody trophy.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So, uhhh, I was going a quest in Novigrad just now when I saw a guy with an exclamation mark over his head knocking on a door. Went up to him and tried to talk, but just got generic NPC chatter. He then turned around, drew his sword, and got killed in one hit by a guard. I looted his corpse and found a key. The key did not open the door he was knocking on.

Then, as I walked away, a second, identical dude spawned at the door, doing the same thing. He turned around and drew his sword again, but this time, after the guards killed him, they randomly aggroed me as well. So I killed them. This guy also had a key on him, but the door he was knocking on was now unlocked and there was... nothing notable inside at all, it was just a random house.

What the gently caress.

As far as glitches go, it's no Skyrim, but at least it was more entertaining than a hard crash. Anybody know what quest that was? Am I missing anything?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

ShakeZula posted:

Interesting. I've literally never seen that ending at all, so it might be worth doing if only for the new experience. Might save it for a true "everybody dies/leaves Geralt" run at some point though - betray Roche, don't help the mages escape, don't help either of Crach's kids, let Keira go to Radovid, let Lambert die in the battle, all of it. I've already made that impossible this time around by going for the Recruit Everybody trophy.

Lmao I’m not sure if I’ve ever done a single one of these things in any of my three play throughs

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

i am a moron posted:

Lmao I’m not sure if I’ve ever done a single one of these things in any of my three play throughs

The only one I've done is let Keira go to Radovid. It's very sad, you find her impaled on a spike in Novigrad later. I could've left Lambert to die as a result, but it was taking so long for the enemies to kill him that I caved and bailed him out.

Part of the problem with going that route is that it feels like you're just missing out on content, which doesn't compute for my completionist brain.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Spergatory posted:

So, uhhh, I was going a quest in Novigrad just now when I saw a guy with an exclamation mark over his head knocking on a door. Went up to him and tried to talk, but just got generic NPC chatter. He then turned around, drew his sword, and got killed in one hit by a guard. I looted his corpse and found a key. The key did not open the door he was knocking on.

Then, as I walked away, a second, identical dude spawned at the door, doing the same thing. He turned around and drew his sword again, but this time, after the guards killed him, they randomly aggroed me as well. So I killed them. This guy also had a key on him, but the door he was knocking on was now unlocked and there was... nothing notable inside at all, it was just a random house.

What the gently caress.

As far as glitches go, it's no Skyrim, but at least it was more entertaining than a hard crash. Anybody know what quest that was? Am I missing anything?

I had the same thing happen, although I’m not sure if they were guards or witch hunters. Don’t know what was supposed to happen at all.

Edit: looks like it’s related to Novigrad: Closed City quest.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

The guy with the key is part of a hidden quest. Try walking the bridge to Temple Isle for the initiation of the quest.

Though I did also have him reappear much later after I had already completed the quest, and I watched him die to the guards all over again.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Watching enemies beat themselves to death against active Quen will probably get old someday, but today is not that day. Tomorrow's not looking good, either.

It's like, all you have to do is stop attacking, bro! No? You don't want to stop? Even though you just saw four of your friends crash against me and be broken like waves upon the shore? Well, as long as you're sure... :allears:

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I'm glad you found a combat approach that works for you and isn't super frustrating. I recommend the active/alternate version of Yrden too, it's really great.

If you like dadbod you can rock the Griffin set all game, just upgrade it. I think the final upgrades look stellar.

I'll recommend the Griffin Armor Techniques generic one-point skill again if you haven't checked it out. It gives like +20% stamina regen or something which lets you cast even more Signs.

edit: also, I'd recommend branching out into Alchemy or swords once you get what you want from the first two tiers of Signs tree (the alternate mods). The upper tiers of Signs are mostly pretty underwhelming and scare poorly. Alchemy is really rad though and stuff like Whirl is great too.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 28, 2022

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
“I can’t believe we hosed” is the greatest dialogue option in any game ever and it cracks me up when I see it. I didn’t choose it this time though, as funny as it is. Keira really doesn’t like that one lol.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dunno, Witcher 2 has the line "loving idiot actually went in!" and I don't know if it has been topped yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Okay I like the change to not showing ?s all over the map but it did annoy me a bit in White Orchard when I couldn't quite remember where all the places of power were lol