Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IĂŤÂ̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓gĂŤÂ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
I actually am mostly okay about flying nowadays, after a combination of flying a bunch and learning a lot about how planes work and figuring out that a lot of my flight anxiety was basically just discomfort from having to sit in a narrow seat with no leg room.

I've gone from white-knuckling entire flights and having to turn off all media the moment any sort of turbulence happened to being able to casually eat a sandwich and chat with somebody while my flight did a go-around on a failed landing during a storm.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m has issued a correction as of 23:12 on Apr 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Air Canada has a pretty good safety record, I've never worried about flying with them or Lufthansa.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Also that incel from Seattle who had never flown before who stole a 737 and did a barrel roll in it before crashing into the puget sound did a lot to convince me that those things are not going to just randomly fall apart if there's a gust of wind or whatever

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Precambrian Video Games posted:

If you voted a little harder maybe they could become the minority government supported by Liberals instead.

Grits would topple that on the first vote

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I can't actually watch them because they make me anxious and scared of flying

I'm weird and they just don't phase me, I honestly feel safer knowing just how much has to go wrong. Air travel has never been safer, even with all the Boeing poo poo the last few years.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Also that incel from Seattle who had never flown before who stole a 737 and did a barrel roll in it before crashing into the puget sound did a lot to convince me that those things are not going to just randomly fall apart if there's a gust of wind or whatever

It was actually a Dash-8, a rare airframe loss for them. Those things are indestructible.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
I'm curious about the airbus / boeing safety debate. I watch a fair bit of Mentour pilot on youtube so he brings with him experience on a 737 frame, but he seems to suggest that both airframes tend to have separate issues.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

Just had some of their throwback donuts, me an apple fritter, my partner the dutchie she had been craving since this anniversary thing was announced. She used to live a short walk to the original Tim's in Hamilton so seeing it in the commercials sparked something in her lizard brain. She seemed happy enough with hers, mine was good but not as toasted crisp as the mom and pop place I grew up near.

Wait, apple fritters aren't on the regular menu anymore? I'd buy them all the time since they were tasty and twice the size of the other donuts. What a shame.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

as long as it's not a Boeing

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Guigui posted:

I'm curious about the airbus / boeing safety debate. I watch a fair bit of Mentour pilot on youtube so he brings with him experience on a 737 frame, but he seems to suggest that both airframes tend to have separate issues.

I’m sure they both do, though there are models of airbus that have never had a fatal accident.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think my "watch while doing other stuff" staple for a good while was the digital offerings for the canadian discovery channel and comedy channels - they used to have really decent lineups on their websites that were fairly comparable to what they showed on cable. Sadly that eventually just kind of evaporated when Rogers and Bell tried to do their own Netflix-likes.

I can't actually watch them because they make me anxious and scared of flying

I definitely watched too much of them as a result of them being easy to access on the aforementioned Discovery website and made my travel anxiety a bit worse lol.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anyone from Alberta can you explain to me what is going on with Calgary's mayor? Some constituent asked for the mayor to be recalled and now there's crowds booing her at Flames games? Why exactly do people want her recalled?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Anyone from Alberta can you explain to me what is going on with Calgary's mayor? Some constituent asked for the mayor to be recalled and now there's crowds booing her at Flames games? Why exactly do people want her recalled?

right-wing idiots.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Guigui posted:

Not to trauma-dump, but I can count on one-hand the number of aviation related empty-casket funerals I’ve personally attended, and they sure weren’t on an Airbus.

I used to travel a lot for work and have genuinely developed high-grade anxiety about flying ever since ET302 to the extent I’ve got Ativan in the medicine cabinet now. :smith:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Arc Hammer posted:

my general understanding from my parents, who still live there, is that she sucks but in a completely ordinary fashion. idk details about getting booed though

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Guigui posted:

It is worth mentioning that the 737 series is one of the most successful and safe planes ever made. Boeing has been building them since the 60s and they have a stellar record. The problem is that the 737 MAX isn't really actually a 737. They had to change so much of the 737 to update it that it doesn't fly like a 737. In order to bypass certification as a new type Boeing installed software to change the way the plane handles to make it more like a proper 737. This was a financial decision because if the MAX was considered a new type it would have to be certified as such, and pilots would need to be trained on it. This would be expensive and time intensive both for Boeing and airlines, which would hurt sales.

The problem is the software they installed was laughably bad, with a single sensor feeding the software data with no back-up. Worse still, Boeing didn't inform airlines/pilots as to what this software did, or that it existed at all it seems. This led to multiple total losses with passengers aboard when the single sensor failed causing the plane to enter a persistent dive from which recovery was nearly impossible. Tragically, if you shut off this system the problem goes away, but pilots didn't know it was there. One of the planes that crashed had actually experienced this same issue on the immediately proceeding flight, and the pilots saved the plane by shutting the system off without realizing it. They failed to alert the next crew to the problem, which is also deeply troubling.

As others have said, the whole Boeing situation (aside from the dead wistleblower) is the result of the financialization and stripping for parts of our entire society. The same loss of quality as with other sectors is happening, but in air travel that results in mass death, something we can't ignore.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Arc Hammer posted:

It's an astrotrufed campaign 'led' by a small business duct installer who doesn't like what the mayor is doing in the vaguest of terms. It's a futile smear job on the chance it lowers her odds of reelection that's abusing the recall system since this drive would require more signatures that the total sum of everyone that voted in the last election and again no one actually knows what we're supposed to hate her for (other than being generally lame and somewhat neoliberal yet still loyal to housing developers but I guess that's not enough). Then halfway through a bunch of money flooded in, signs popped up everywhere, and some people on reddit found the websites were linked to CPC pockets. It's dumb and normal folk don't get to choose whether this circus happens.

fisting by many posted:

Wait, apple fritters aren't on the regular menu anymore? I'd buy them all the time since they were tasty and twice the size of the other donuts. What a shame.

Apple fritters are safe. The retro return is blueberry fritters.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I'm sure the same profit chasing BS is happening over at airbus and the public is just lucky that it hasnt resulted in any disasters yet

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Come And See posted:

Apple fritters are safe. The retro return is blueberry fritters.

I was deeply worried that my apple fritters were being threatened.

:catstare:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Juul-Whip posted:

I'm sure the same profit chasing BS is happening over at airbus and the public is just lucky that it hasnt resulted in any disasters yet

I don't actually think that is the case. Safety is a huge deal, what Boeing is doing right now constitutes an international crisis and very abnormal. Boeing employees who work on the 737 MAX line are telling the media they wouldn't let their loved ones fly on the planes they are making. Boeing has a record of serious disciplinary action for making statements like that, so people saying this are risking their careers (and maybe life?).

No updates on the dead whistleblower. If that actually comes back to the company I think we'll be in totally uncharted waters.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
OTOH, holding a company liable for the consequences of their actions might negatively affect the economy so we should all turn a collective blind eye to it, forever

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Embrace death. Number go up

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
Would it help if we gave Boeing $70 billion dollars for free?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Huh I could have sworn I've not seen an apple fritter in decades in a Tims, and it was on the retro menu, but I honestly haven't been in a Tim's since the pandemic and hadn't ordered an apple fritter in much longer. What I really miss is the old maple crunch--dipped in coffee it was amazing in the early 2000s until the time of the changes

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Huh I could have sworn I've not seen an apple fritter in decades in a Tims, and it was on the retro menu, but I honestly haven't been in a Tim's since the pandemic and hadn't ordered an apple fritter in much longer. What I really miss is the old maple crunch--dipped in coffee it was amazing in the early 2000s until the time of the changes

I also refer to the corporate enshitification of Tim’s as “The Changes”, much like someone in Belfast refers to “The Troubles”

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Virtual Russian posted:

No updates on the dead whistleblower.

he's still dead

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

he's still dead

thats not what my sources say

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i had to handle American cash today, it feels so cheep and it all looks the same. I love our plastic rainbow money god bless it. They should have made the 20 smell like maple like i remember people saying when they 1st came out

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Watching Masterchef Australia and wondering how many old stock Canadians eat like this:

https://twitter.com/TheRoyalButler/status/1368125070745419784

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

she's brown

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Watching Masterchef Australia and wondering how many old stock Canadians eat like this:

https://twitter.com/TheRoyalButler/status/1368125070745419784

Explain rice balls and suhi then.

:smug:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

MonsieurChoc posted:

Fun fact: Sushi pizza (deep fried sushi rice topped with tuna or salmon and a nice sauce) is a Canadian invention as a way to use up leftover sushi rice after service at a sushi restaurant in Toronto.

It is loving amazing and y'all better try it

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
theres a place ive ordered from that does it with avocado as a vegetarian version and it also owns

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/ColinDMello/status/1775477559779611019?t=77NRXgoqG_NDqbAUq5vSFg&s=19

Eclipse hysteria is ridiculous but it's still funny to me that Ford is all in on the "get back to the loving office, slaves" train.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there are a lot of people in toronto/gta who are heavily invested in commercial real estate, presumably every last one of them has his phone number

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/ColinDMello/status/1775477559779611019?t=77NRXgoqG_NDqbAUq5vSFg&s=19

Eclipse hysteria is ridiculous but it's still funny to me that Ford is all in on the "get back to the loving office, slaves" train.

I have a very good friend who's vision was permanently damaged by an eclipse years ago, they still have to protect their eyes from bright lights. It literally hurts no one to be cautious, and could save unaware people's vision.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

yes but then who will make number go up

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

do they eat sushi with their hands in Japan? they’re all bite sized, so it makes sense

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

I would presume it's less hysteria and more "work from home so you don't rubberneck or do stupid poo poo on the road."

But yeah, Ford doing a big mad about Federal workers doing remote and wanting to get them back into office is so loving stupid. I thought we hated government workers wasting our tax money, why do we want to do the more expensive thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Oh I found the perfect tweet for [canada]

https://twitter.com/ctvottawa/status/1775486090243104883