Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/SameeraKhan/status/1609079456991150087?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

freeedr posted:

I poo poo through my pant leg

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Hyperlynx posted:

I think it depends on how you use it, and it can be used for different things.

Anyone can run a Mastodon instance/server/node (whatever you'd like to call it). I think the intention of each server depends on who's running it, including their server rules. They can choose to admit anyone, people only by approval, etc. You have an account on an instance, and you can see a feed of only people you're following (Home), and one of only people on that instance (Local).

But the instances are "federated", meaning they share data with each other, so you can also see posts by any user on any instance that's sharing data with the server you have an account on. Account names are expressed as @username@hosting server For instance, I'm @Hyperlynx@mastodon.au, but my Home feed (of who I'm following) shows posts from Rami Ismail (@tha_rami@mastodon.social), Winamp ⚡️ Skins Bot (@winampskins@botsin.space), Rod Hilton (@rodhilton@mastodon.social), TJ Cooney (@tjcooney@spacey.space). You can follow anyone on any instance, and you can see a Federated feed of all public posts on all instances.

I think the idea is that, if you like, you can make an account on a Mastodon instance that is just for your specific niche interest or community, so that your Local feed will be posts just from that community. Or, you can use an instance that admits pretty much everyone, that serves as an access point for the whole Mastodon system in general (mastodon.social, mastodon.au). The latter is much more like Twitter, I think. But, also, you can always access the entire thing from any server.

Personally I'm really keen to see how it develops as more people start using it. I think it's got a lot of potential. It's decentralised, and designed specifically for a decentralised environment. I'm very interested to see how things like content moderation and user verification end up shaking out. On that second one, I've seen a proposal that public figures such as journalists could be verified quite easily by their organisation itself running a Mastodon instance where the only users are staff members. By an account in question being a user of a hypothetical https://mastodon.washingtonpost.com you would be guaranteed that they indeed work for The Washington Post by the same SSL certificates that guarantee that when you look at https://www.washingtonpost.com/ it's authentic.

Honestly I haven't seen any really cool accounts there yet, but it's early days.

Also Eugen Rotko, the originator of Mastodon, is known as "website boy"

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Also Eugen Rotko, the originator of Mastodon, is known as "website boy"

It's also worth mentioning that they're called 'toots' because back in the day before they had anything resembling an income stream Harris Bomber Dude said he'd donate money to them for as long as they called them that.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

They should have kept calling them toots

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

NLJP posted:

They should have kept calling them toots

They did.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

PostNouveau posted:

Also, that Popeyes on Canal Street. And that Voodoo Chicken & Daquiris on Canal Street.

I'd add that Starbucks on Canal Street, but they closed it because poo poo was too wild, and they couldn't guarantee their employees' safety.

Canal Street is a loving mess.

I was there two weeks ago and I noticed the McDonald's right there was closed permanently. Just went too hard

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/PastorAlexLove/status/1609334723259539456

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Goddammit, somebody wake up Andy Reid.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Silly Burrito posted:

Goddammit, somebody wake up Andy Reid.

Lol

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fireworks are cool but how often do you see a big fat lazy smelly dumb beast with stupid hair and bad teeth masturbating?

I'll be back later to check if anyone's replied to my question. Just going to therapy (need to try and improve my extremely fragile ego).

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Lobok posted:

Fireworks are cool but how often do you see a big fat lazy smelly dumb beast with stupid hair and bad teeth masturbating?

I'll be back later to check if anyone's replied to my question. Just going to therapy (need to try and improve my extremely fragile ego).

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Put a stupid robe on him and we could make him a member of the House of Lords.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Lobok posted:

Turn off your monitor.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:confuoot:
https://twitter.com/Tragicgirlsco/status/1609271943802552321?s=20&t=ATjHFaadv54roK3VmK4OhQ

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/cainalikehyena/status/1609148190053511169?t=BozA-qEdHp5ZPhikrLxVBw&s=19

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Oh I was told they changed it!

Well, good

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Do people just assume dog poop bags at beginning of a path are just left there permanently and not just like "you saw it, but it will be gone in 30 mins when the owners finishes their walk?" because that's definitely more likely the scenario

I hate this loving tweet and all the replies also

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Konar posted:

Do people just assume dog poop bags at beginning of a path are just left there permanently and not just like "you saw it, but it will be gone in 30 mins when the owners finishes their walk?" because that's definitely more likely the scenario

Carry your loving poop bags so people dont have to look at your litter you lazy turd. And yes assholes leave them constantly.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Mister Speaker posted:

When I was a kid, my Dad probably took me to half a dozen Tull concerts when he was alive, and he definitely had to explain to me the first couple of times that Jethro Tull was not a person in the band.

"That doesn't sound right. Are you sure it's not that silly guy in the top hat?"

I won a two truths, one lie contest with the factoid that Jethro Tull beat Metallica for the first ever Heavy Metal Grammy

Nobody believed me and they had to Wikipedia it, then the girl I beat tried to rules lawyer the name of the actual Grammy award

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Atticus_1354 posted:

Carry your loving poop bags so people dont have to look at your litter you lazy turd. And yes assholes leave them constantly.

Are your webcams that you actively monitor abandoned bags of dog poo poo public, so we can all look? Big Nextdoor energy coming off this post

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Konar posted:

Are your webcams that you actively monitor abandoned bags of dog poo poo public, so we can all look? Big Nextdoor energy coming off this post

People abandon poop bags on other people's lawns. On apartment stoops. I don't know why you think they wouldn't do it on trails.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Konar posted:

Imagine having a meltdown over someone asking you not to leave bags of poo poo lying around, because you're gonna pick them up later.

Don't leave bags of poo poo lying around.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Konar posted:

I hate this loving tweet and all the replies also

During my jogs, I've seen poop bags sit in the same spot for over a month. So maybe there's a conscientious dog walker who suffered a heart attack and is lying dead in the bushes before they could make their return trip. But I'm putting my money on people being littering assholes because there were no convenient trash cans.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Just weird to me that someone would go through the grossest part of the whole exercise, grabbing warm poo poo through a thin film, but not finish the job. Guess no access to public trash cans is a good explanation, in those cases I toss mine into the bed of my truck for the trip home but without that guess I'd be SOL

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

GD_American posted:

I won a two truths, one lie contest with the factoid that Jethro Tull beat Metallica for the first ever Heavy Metal Grammy

Nobody believed me and they had to Wikipedia it, then the girl I beat tried to rules lawyer the name of the actual Grammy award

And they came out with a t-shirt saying "The flute is a heavy, metal instrument!" to troll Metallica fans, which I think is pretty fantastic.

Pick up your dogshit, you tremendous weirdo

E: oh, you do. Well, good, carry on then.

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 23:31 on Jan 1, 2023

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I’ve been called a shitbag on many occasions and I can tell you that picking me up would be a mistake

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

https://twitter.com/IZ04009654/status/1609268745695789067

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

GD_American posted:

This is also one of my favourite music industry factoids. It's one of the big reasons a lot of people think the Grammies are a joke. They didn't even show up to the award ceremony because everyone thought Metallica was a shoe-in. I think when Metallica finally did win a Grammy years later, Lars said something like "thanks to Jethro Tull for not releasing an album this year."

Crest of a Knave, the Tull album that won, is actually one of my favourites. Calling it 'heavy metal' is a bit off, but it certainly does have an edge to it. Martin Barre is absolutely in top form, and Anderson's lyrics run the gamut from naturalist (Farm On the Freeway) to anti-war (Mountain Men) to desperately horny (Budapest and She Said She Was a Dancer). I love it.

Mister Speaker has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Jan 2, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It has everything to do with the fact that his left arm never moves.

Or I guess it’s real devil magic. :iiam:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah the performance was mildly interesting on it's own. But the several replies claiming it is actual witchcraft really elevated it.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Oh, wait, ha. I was wrong, it was a magazine ad, not a t-shirt.

I think I'd wear a t-shirt that said that, though.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah the performance was mildly interesting on it's own. But the several replies claiming it is actual witchcraft really elevated it.

clearly people who never saw when one of the 8+ hovering yodas in a single square in london has to leave to take a leak

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mister Speaker posted:

This is also one of my favourite music industry factoids. It's one of the big reasons a lot of people think the Grammies are a joke. They didn't even show up to the award ceremony because everyone thought Metallica was a shoe-in. I think when Metallica finally did win a Grammy years later, Lars said something like "thanks to Jethro Tull for not releasing an album this year."

Crest of a Knave, the Tull album that won, is actually one of my favourites. Calling it 'heavy metal' is a bit off, but it certainly does have an edge to it. Martin Barre is absolutely in top form, and Anderson's lyrics run the gamut from naturalist (Farm On the Freeway) to anti-war (Mountain Men) to desperately horny (Budapest and She Said She Was a Dancer). I love it.

Jethro Tull is super important to metal and psych, and a lot of people don't realize how much they are. Like when you see what modern metal, stoner, heavy psych bands reference as influences, you might expect Black Sabbath and such, but they also always come back to Tull, Groundhogs, Sir Lord Baltimore, Mountain and the like because they established heavy music.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Before about 1976 or so there really wasn't much of a distinction between heavy metal and hard rock, to the point where Grand Funk Railroad was considered one of the big heavy metal bands. Jethro Tull was also an early heavy metal band, and probably the only nominee the Grammy selection committee/voters recognized.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, the Grammy category was 'Hard Rock/Metal' until like 2014.

Somewhat related: I once got in an argument with someone who insisted Metallica wasn't a metal band. I get that standards change and maybe what they do wouldn't necessarily be 'as metal' as a modern metal band, but it's right in their name.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://twitter.com/leh0n/status/351742240646897666

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/DWesthawk/status/1609287492326285317?s=20&t=Qcdd4tIb55_ODPZpApTb3Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Tbh knowing he's holding himself up like that with just one arm is more impressive to me than it being actual magic.