Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

For those like me who really want to play with raytracing but don't have a 4090, there's a rt optimization mod that works well for me

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/7432

Give roughly 20 to 30 fps increase on the quality version while imo looking pretty much the same as before, I've gone from 30 to 35 fps in novigrad to a stable minimum 40, roughly.

Good workaround until CD project red fixes this some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Tried RT on a 1080p tv today (without the mod above). It ran significantly worse than Cyberpunk at similar settings. With Cyberpunk I’m close enough to averaging above 60.

Here it topped out at 50, and is usually in the mid 40s. I’d have to use a crappy DLSS setting to get a consistent 60.

And it didn’t run great even with RT off. So I’m probably just sticking with the DX11 version.

11600K with a 3060ti.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
alt igni flamethrower used to be super brokenly good and then they nerfed it, rip

I would recommend investing in the combat or alchemy tree once you get the alt Signs you want. the two upper tiers of Signs abilities scale additively and therefore are very, very underwhelming.

of course you can get a respec potion for 1000 gold so you can always redo things later. but I'd recommend going into Alchemy

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Fritz the Horse posted:

alt igni flamethrower used to be super brokenly good and then they nerfed it, rip

I would recommend investing in the combat or alchemy tree once you get the alt Signs you want. the two upper tiers of Signs abilities scale additively and therefore are very, very underwhelming.

of course you can get a respec potion for 1000 gold so you can always redo things later. but I'd recommend going into Alchemy

with the new quick cast system being a mage geralt is way easier than ever before.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
mage geralt is my go-to for early-mid game, I haven't tried it in the new version as I'm waiting to move to a new place and get set up

my point about the two deeper Signs ability tiers is they scale very poorly and ime were quite underwhelming. if you wanna stick with the mage geralt style you get a lot more oomph from getting into Alchemy after you pick up the alt Signs you want (Quen, Yrden, whatever). longer potions, using multiple decoctions at once, better bombs to mix into your Signs casting, etc.

imo Signs is great early game and Alchemy doesn't really come online until later in the game when you have more recipes unlocked.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Anyone else kind of wish they didn't include the combat changes?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

cheesetriangles posted:

Anyone else kind of wish they didn't include the combat changes?

what is bad about quick casting?

edit: nm you meant the rebalance mod stuff they incorporated

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 29, 2022

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

What exactly are the changes that were made? I feel like I'm handling the combat better than in my previous runs, so I'm inclined to be a fan of whatever this rebalance mod did.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Jesus Christ, the loving crashes. This game has been out for like seven years, had dozens of patches and two whole rear end DLCs, how is it still this unstable? And people really expected Cyberpunk to come out pristine and bug free?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Son of Rodney posted:

For those like me who really want to play with raytracing but don't have a 4090, there's a rt optimization mod that works well for me

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/7432

Give roughly 20 to 30 fps increase on the quality version while imo looking pretty much the same as before, I've gone from 30 to 35 fps in novigrad to a stable minimum 40, roughly.

Good workaround until CD project red fixes this some more.

This is cool, but now I'm distracted by the DLSS. This game is really helped by crisp, clear colors and textures. This is on a 3070 on quality. I think foregoing RT and trying to go with no DLSS is the play here.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Fritz the Horse posted:

mage geralt is my go-to for early-mid game, I haven't tried it in the new version as I'm waiting to move to a new place and get set up

my point about the two deeper Signs ability tiers is they scale very poorly and ime were quite underwhelming. if you wanna stick with the mage geralt style you get a lot more oomph from getting into Alchemy after you pick up the alt Signs you want (Quen, Yrden, whatever). longer potions, using multiple decoctions at once, better bombs to mix into your Signs casting, etc.

imo Signs is great early game and Alchemy doesn't really come online until later in the game when you have more recipes unlocked.

I probably overdid signs and went into the Eredin fight without twirl or rend, but I still won first try while Caranthir killed me several before I figured him out. Playing HoS in front of my brother he was a little surprised I was able to wreck certain fights with signs. He did cat gear/melee and he said fallen knights, boars, and even those two necker fields messed him up. I just aard and blizzard potion and one shotted every necker or night. Boars I think I did yrden or something.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Did they rework carry weight or inventory at all? I feel like last time I played years ago I was constantly becoming overburdened, trying to sell to merchants who never had enough gold. This playthrough I've hit the limit once or twice, and never had an issue getting rid of everything in one or two stops.

Possible in my old age I just can't be bothered to hoard every small blackjack someone drops

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Gotta say, the new Netflix DLC armor looks pretty great. Not sure how well its stats will scale with upgrades, but a perfect fit now that I'm level 20 and newly arrived in Skellige.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Why are there items that give you bonus experience from monsters or humans? I thought you only got experience from quests.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nah, you get XP from defeating enemies too, it's just negligible compared to what you get from quests. Like almost nothing, depending on the level of the enemy.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Spergatory posted:

Why are there items that give you bonus experience from monsters or humans? I thought you only got experience from quests.

a lot of the itemization is kinda weird and impenetrable which is why you just wear one of the Witcher sets or whatever looks cool, gear doesn't really matter all that much

armor penetration, for example. iirc armor is only really relevant against humanoids so armor penetration helps against heavily-armored humans, I guess? but who cares?

or resistances. that's never relevant enough to matter, there's no point in carrying around gear with fire resist or poison resist or whatever.

the best Witcher build is whatever you find most fun in combat and the best gear set is whatever you think looks cool

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ShakeZula posted:

Nah, you get XP from defeating enemies too, it's just negligible compared to what you get from quests. Like almost nothing, depending on the level of the enemy.

the only time I got noticeable xp from enemies is when I found a spawn point of three underwater drowners two levels above me and one-shot sniped them for a few minutes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Got a new bug after finishing the Next Gen quest. The ambient music is following me around and not changing with each region. So I ran all the way to Novigrad and thr normally cheerful city music is replaced with thie insidious low hum of strings.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The game is easy as hell even on Death March, so I’ve never seen a need to min/max or optimize. And that’s for the better. Just wear what looks dope and enjoy the great cast and story.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Arc Hammer posted:

Got a new bug after finishing the Next Gen quest. The ambient music is following me around and not changing with each region. So I ran all the way to Novigrad and thr normally cheerful city music is replaced with thie insidious low hum of strings.

Fast travel to a different region (White Orchard/Vizima) to fix this.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Either fast travel to a different region or, if that doesn't work, go into the Novigrad sewers until the music changes, then come back out.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

A bunch of mods have been updated and I finally got my favorites going. Geralt is tatt'ed up, oil auto applies, all skills active at the same time regardless of what is applied, and always dismember is on

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I forgot just how many morons in Novigrad know you’re a witcher, see the swords on your back, and still think they can beat you up

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Did I miss the chance to kill Radovid? The quest just ended after I found Thaler, so I moved on, but now I'm gathering allies for the endgame and Dijkstra just told me to go gently caress myself, so I feel like I missed out on some quests with him.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Hilariously, fist fights against multiple opponents is the absolute hardest thing for me on Death March. So yeah, those bandits robbing the artist's house get to say they beat up a witcher.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Spergatory posted:

The quest just ended after I found Thaler

I was wondering how to continue this quest as well.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Spergatory posted:

Did I miss the chance to kill Radovid? The quest just ended after I found Thaler, so I moved on, but now I'm gathering allies for the endgame and Dijkstra just told me to go gently caress myself, so I feel like I missed out on some quests with him.

Are you gathering allies to make your stand at Kaer Morhen? Because if so then no, you haven't missed it yet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You haven't missed it. The Radovid plot line continues in Act 3 and you're still in Act 2.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Spergatory posted:

trolls are the best did you find Trololol west of Oxenfurt? Thalers cursing trolls the very best

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Fritz the Horse posted:

trolls are the best did you find Trololol west of Oxenfurt? Thalers cursing trolls the very best

The singing troll was my first troll, and upon meeting him, I decided that trolls were precious souls to be protected at all costs. I will pick the option to save them every time if it exists.

In other news, I propose that an international law be put into effect that states that games are now and forever forbidden from including underwater combat of any kind because it is literally never good. Any developer who suggests that it be part of a game will be fired, fined, and jailed for not less than one year to think about what they've done. :colbert:

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

There's a troll north of Crossroads Inn that I've never found before. You save him from a Nekker attack. I love the trolls.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Spergatory posted:

The singing troll was my first troll, and upon meeting him, I decided that trolls were precious souls to be protected at all costs. I will pick the option to save them every time if it exists.

In other news, I propose that an international law be put into effect that states that games are now and forever forbidden from including underwater combat of any kind because it is literally never good. Any developer who suggests that it be part of a game will be fired, fined, and jailed for not less than one year to think about what they've done. :colbert:

You know to use the crossbow right?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wiltsghost posted:

There's a troll north of Crossroads Inn that I've never found before. You save him from a Nekker attack. I love the trolls.

He gives you an Elf's head as a reward.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

You know to use the crossbow right?

That makes it possible, it doesn't make it good.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

mistermojo posted:

I forgot just how many morons in Novigrad know you’re a witcher, see the swords on your back, and still think they can beat you up

Because of how insane the leveling system is the most deadly enemy in my game so far is the group of atheist philosophy students tipping over shrines in Velen. I have no idea why that quest is level 10 but based on how much trouble they gave me they could have beat that werewolf in the woods to death themselves

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Wiltsghost posted:

Same here. 7 years after it's release and I found that cool troll for the first time. I haven't sold the head yet because who knows maybe it'll come in handy

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Wolfsheim posted:

Because of how insane the leveling system is the most deadly enemy in my game so far is the group of atheist philosophy students tipping over shrines in Velen. I have no idea why that quest is level 10 but based on how much trouble they gave me they could have beat that werewolf in the woods to death themselves

It's not really the levelling. If the game decides youre in a fistfight it strips all your armour bonuses and poo poo.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

Just need to wait for the No Levels Mod to update.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/3605?tab=description

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

He gives you an Elf's head as a reward.

Headses good eats. Why face make??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Servetus posted:

Just need to wait for the No Levels Mod to update.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/3605?tab=description

ghost mode does this too if it's updated

Strategic Tea posted:

Headses good eats. Why face make??

Bart... turdydumps.

Cucksock shoeses.

trolls are the best