Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Alder posted:

oh no

I'm not sure if i'm that ready for back tracking in another game.

It's not that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Did they add anything in the switch release?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Fast forward sessions

Tiki, Barry, maiko can session

Orihime finally fixed her eyesight

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yes, but I'm just starting Chapter 2 and I haven't gotten to much at all of it yet. There's a new bonus dungeon that lets you farm out experience, weapon proficiency, and money, but that's all I've gotten to so far. I'm assuming it's pretty backloaded. The game's still fun enough that I don't really care that I've done it before though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Most of the reviews of Encore basically say you're buying it for the first time or buying the fast-forward option. There's not much actual new content, like Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze or Bayonetta 2.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

they really should have included an exclusive shin megami tensei V trailer to the game to sweeten the deal

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TurnipFritter posted:

they really should have included an exclusive shin megami tensei V trailer to the game to sweeten the deal
That'd be like a kick in the undercarriage at this point, imo.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

#FE also has more meaningful stuff to say and actually commits to the stuff it wants to say

“Idols are good, support predatory industry”

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Maiko’s not playable so I’m not buying that game

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

the game about dark forces draining the creativity, talent, and energy from young people in the entertainment industry right? so it's not like... subtle in the themes.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Arist posted:

Yes, but I'm just starting Chapter 2 and I haven't gotten to much at all of it yet. There's a new bonus dungeon that lets you farm out experience, weapon proficiency, and money, but that's all I've gotten to so far. I'm assuming it's pretty backloaded. The game's still fun enough that I don't really care that I've done it before though.

I think The grinding rooms were DLC in the Wii U version.

Level Seven fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 19, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

tms presents a more nuanced view of the idol industry than persona 5 presents of cops

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

That isn't really what it says at all. The idol stuff is largely a aesthetic for a story about the meaning of entertainment.

If you argue "it isn't about the horrors of music industry" that is fine but it is kinda tedious because it applies to almost every game on the market. Games glorify monarchy, police, military, sports stars, and so on to a *much* greater degree than TMS glorifies idol culture. (Which it is critical of which is why every boss is an abusive violent version of people in power in said industry)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the idol industry's got obvious, massive issues but if TMS was about, idk, movie stars or something I doubt it'd get that kind of response half as much as it does, even though the movie industry has a lot of the exact same issues. only reason i can think of is that the west doesn't really have the idol industry in the same way so it comes across more bizarre and therefore wrong?

again this isnt any kind of defense of the real world industry but just like all other massively abusive industries there's still people who find meaning in it and the inherent act of making art about it doesn't mean you're supporting everything in it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

only reason i can think of is that the west doesn't really have the idol industry in the same way so it comes across more bizarre and therefore wrong?

i think part of it is that the idol industry feels much more transparent about creating and selling a product/brand, where as, say, the american entertainment industry tends to do a lot of work trying to cultivate an image of authenticity and sell people on the idea that famous people in the entertainment industry are famous because of their talent and hard work or whatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

i think part of it is that the idol industry feels much more transparent about creating and selling a product/brand, where as, say, the american entertainment industry tends to do a lot of work trying to cultivate an image of authenticity and sell people on the idea that famous people in the entertainment industry are famous because of their talent and hard work or whatever.

I really don't get how you can look at, say, Disney's endless line of manufactured pop stars and think that is the case.

I also don't really think it's accurate in the other direction either. Idols in Japan are absolutely marketed as being friendly/relatable/'real' even if it's a manufactured image.

I think it's more that people in the West are so used to out music culture that we don't really think about how hosed up and abusive it is. We're just now starting to see pushback against musicians who openly admit to pedophilia and even then you get people treating older musicians as awesome heroes instead of guys who openly admitted to sleeping with underage girls.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 19, 2020

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I really don't get how you can look at, say, Disney's endless line of manufactured pop stars and think that is the case.

Is it really endless? Who were the last pop stars to really come out of Disney Channel Original Series? Ariana Grande and Miley Cyrus? And even then it's a case of "here is a TV show, maybe one or more of these actors will have a pop career with a built in audience later" versus "the entertainment company that brought you successful idol group A and successful idol group C are launching successful idol group E this summer!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Is it really endless? Who were the last pop stars to really come out of Disney Channel Original Series? Ariana Grande and Miley Cyrus? And even then it's a case of "here is a TV show, maybe one or more of these actors will have a pop career with a built in audience later" versus "the entertainment company that brought you successful idol group A and successful idol group C are launching successful idol group E this summer!"

Yes. There are plenty more but they are just flash in the pans who are there and gone. Which is also true of most idol groups.

And that's ignoring that there are plenty of Disney stars who are also pop stars because Disney wants to market them as multi-media. (Much, again, like how idols often are starring in TV shows!)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 19, 2020

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yes. There are plenty more but they are just flash in the pans who are there and gone. Which is also true of most idol groups.

And that's ignoring that there are plenty of Disney stars who are also pop stars because Disney wants to market them as multi-media. (Much, again, like how idols often are starring in TV shows!)

good thing i never argued that disney doesn't want to market their performers.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Item Getter posted:

Kind of want to finally try this one now that it is out on the Switch but...
Out of the Atlus games I've never played, it's a hard choice trying to decide whether Tokyo Mirage Sessions or Catherine would be more embarrassing for my wife to walk in on me playing.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is a story about a group of teenagers and young adults banding together to save Tokyo and the rest of the world from an invasion by otherworldly forces that seek to drain humanity of their creative potential. It's bright, colorful, relentlessly optimistic and features lots of Japanese pop music and is heavily steeped in Japanese idol and entertainment culture.

Meanwhile, Catherine, is a game about a middle-aged cishet dude who's afraid of commitment coping with all the stresses and burdens of adult life by cheating on his girlfriend. Somehow, this results in him having dreams where he has to do block-pushing puzzles in his sleep or else he'll die. Oh, and it also espouses the idea that transwomen aren't "real" women, even going so far as deadnaming a trans character in the credits.

So of the two, I'd say that Tokyo Mirage Sessions is far less embarrassing to be seen playing, but that's just my opinion.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I want TMS to be successful because the songs are bops.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I was excited for Encore because I saw in a trailer you could remove Itsuki from the party but apparently that's only in NG+ :negative:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you're in a marriage where you would be embarrassed by your wife walking in on you doing something as normal as playing a mainstream video game, maybe the issue isnt jpop or catherine's sweet titties

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Not really being serious, she just hates idols so I'd be embarrassed to play a game that revolves around them.
Will probably play it anyway.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Sounds like jealousy because she can't bop as good as them. :sever:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

when do I start getting the costumes in TMS that were DLC in the original

I want that itsuki bunny hoody

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

How does TMS actually play? I've never been terribly enthused by FE's gameplay, so I never really looked to hard at the game, assuming it was going to be like that. But I guess it wasn't? I read the gameplay entry on Wikipedia, but I didn't really understand it all that well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I have an honest question, is the battle trailers they show one of the worst produced videos, because people are constantly confused on what the actual battle system is half a decade later

(it's literally just persona combat)

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Tae posted:

I have an honest question, is the battle trailers they show one of the worst produced videos, because people are constantly confused on what the actual battle system is half a decade later

(it's literally just persona combat)

...well, I'll cop to being an idiot, because "Just go watch a video" didn't even to occur to me. I went "How does this actually play?" read the description, and just wandered here in my confusion instead of to Youtube.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

if you're in a marriage where you would be embarrassed by your wife walking in on you doing something as normal as playing a mainstream video game, maybe the issue isnt jpop or catherine's sweet titties

If your partner cant sit with you and comfort you while you cry watching Kamen Rider you've got a problem imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah its just persona with the weapon triangle instead of an elemental chart.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How do the elements work again? What's weak to what?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

How do the elements work again? What's weak to what?

For physical:
It's the FE weapon triangle. Sword beats Axe beats Lance beats Sword. You can get skills that let you ignore this sometimes. Bow is strong against Flying units. Non-weapon units kinda depend on what they are but a lot of stuff is weak to at least one physical type.

For magic:
It's not really consistent, it's more like SMT where each monster has their own strength/weaknesses.

Erg posted:

when do I start getting the costumes in TMS that were DLC in the original

I want that itsuki bunny hoody

Pretty early. I think Chapter 2 or 3 is when the first EX story starts where you get the vast majority of the early DLC costumes. The later ones are mostly to sprinkle in stuff for the characters who join after that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Unless I missed something, Kiria's dark spells are completely useless because you don't have skills to session off it, or if there are then they don't exist for 90% of the game.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

As a general rule, fire and ice are weak to each other, as are elec and wind. It's not 100 percent accurate, but if you're fishing for weaknesses those are the best places to start.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
And then the Contrarian King stomps on your nuts, :fuckoff: style.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Also wind against flyers, at least early.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

After Sunrise starting made more idol anime than gundam anime, I swore revenge against all idols. Ergo, TMS sucks because it is not Frozen Teardrop.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hellioning posted:

After Sunrise starting made more idol anime than gundam anime, I swore revenge against all idols. Ergo, TMS sucks because it is not Frozen Teardrop.

Can't get more spin offs of good gundam we gotta Adapt the absolute dregs of UC timeline poo poo.

Please be excited for Hathaway's Flash. Which apparently they're actually doing for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hellioning posted:

Oh no how will i live without more uc masturbation