Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

skooma512 posted:

Someone is having problems with a Citrix app, on every computer.

That's one thing I'm not going to miss dealing with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We just migrated from Great Plains on prem (in Citrix) for our primary financial system to Workday. They want to keep the GP system (which includes Citrix) online for at least one more year. :argh:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

devmd01 posted:

We just migrated from Great Plains on prem (in Citrix) for our primary financial system to Workday. They want to keep the GP system (which includes Citrix) online for at least one more year. :argh:

BUT WEEE NEEEED IT

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I got a guy who is absolutely fuming that my team has asked to stand up a mender server instead of using Aws IOT for remote shell access during development. He’s not even on my team and has nothing to do with the product development, he’s just working on a server that we will connect to to query every once in a while.

After his 5th email about this subject I finally went with the standard gently caress you email:

quote:

Hi $name

For any inquiries pertaining to what our team is doing for remote development, please submit questions to $manager

Thanks!
DoomTrain

He proceeded to send THREE MORE EMAILS demanding we capitulate to his whims. To which I replied back with the same email with slightly different wording.

Some guys. Yeash

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
After hearing so many complaints about how the 80k+ a year project managers are useless(they are and most were people removed from positions but not outright fired) the CIO has created the "office of the cio" staffed with, you guessed it, more project managers. Now in addition to managing my own projects, customers, and vendors, I also have to be subjected to telling these new "CSM's" over the phone what's going on with a project that was in an email weeks ago. :negative:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Bob Morales posted:

That's one thing I'm not going to miss dealing with.

gently caress Citrix.

Farking Bastage posted:

After hearing so many complaints about how the 80k+ a year project managers are useless(they are and most were people removed from positions but not outright fired) the CIO has created the "office of the cio" staffed with, you guessed it, more project managers. Now in addition to managing my own projects, customers, and vendors, I also have to be subjected to telling these new "CSM's" over the phone what's going on with a project that was in an email weeks ago. :negative:

NGL after talking with the PM they sent to manage wind down and clean up who didn't know how to do basic Excel stuff (the thing they live in), didn't plan or manage anything, and admittedly took on projects he knew nothing about and was just a warm body with a PMP, I wanted to get my PMP so I can get in on the grift too.

Like, if we're going to be completely hand to mouth the whole time and have to guide ourselves anyway, why does this here bankrupt closed down hospital system fly your happy fat rear end all the way from Texas to California weekly?

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

SkyeAuroline posted:

Dropped in here quite a while ago, coming back around. poo poo that pisses me off right now: the same thing as it has for months, this goddamn undocumented software. I've been searching for the manuals for this software for months now, and of course the sole IT guy who understands it won't disclose it because ~job security~.

Just quoting myself over from white whale thread:

I'd really love to not have to keep worsening a strain injury just to do my job but boy is our software doing its best not to cooperate with that idea at all!

Assuming your on a windows machine:
Look at the properties of the terminal icon, to get the fold location of the program.

If it's the IBM terminal software,

C:\users\public\ibm\

Source we use terminal emulator software where I work too.

JDE green screen. On the plant side, we just have dot matrix printers

There is all kinds of documentation. and configuration files
Also explore all the settings for the terminal window.

Also packet sniff when launching the software

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 21, 2021

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

joebuddah posted:

Assuming your on a windows machine:
Look at the properties of the terminal icon, to get the fold location of the program.

If it's the IBM terminal software,

C:\users\public\ibm\

Source we use terminal emulator software where I work too.

JDE green screen. On the plant side, we just have dot matrix printers

There is all kinds of documentation. and configuration files
Also explore all the settings for the terminal window.

Also packet sniff when launching the software

It's real fun setting IBM's poo poo up for citrix. Basically have to have a profile on ever presentation server(showing my age) with all the terminal settings in it. Enormous pain in the rear end, but there's some *really* big companies out there running INFOR Infinium on modern PowerPC AS/400 boxes.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I have a coworker who's into crypto. He is an otherwise clever guy, and he doesn't talk about it when he's alone, but I have a weekly meeting with some other guy who's into crypto, and always brings it up (and that meeting is at 10 AM on Monday to add insult to injury)

this thread seemed the appropriate place, because it pisses me the gently caress off

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Join the meeting 15 minutes late so they can get crypto-chat out of the way

"Hey guys, running a bit behind, I'll log in a few minutes late, go ahead and start without me"

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Me and my European teammate rescheduled a meeting to 5pm local time so an American colleague can join. Guess who didn't show up and never said a word?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Farking Bastage posted:

It's real fun setting IBM's poo poo up for citrix. Basically have to have a profile on ever presentation server(showing my age) with all the terminal settings in it. Enormous pain in the rear end, but there's some *really* big companies out there running INFOR Infinium on modern PowerPC AS/400 boxes.

Presentation Server? Profile on each server? :wth:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

regulargonzalez posted:

Join the meeting 15 minutes late so they can get crypto-chat out of the way

"Hey guys, running a bit behind, I'll log in a few minutes late, go ahead and start without me"
Yeah I joined two minutes late this morning and managed to dodge two solid minutes of cryptochat so they have now conditioned me to do so

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Hey how do y'all say UEFI? My coworker looks at me funny when I say "you-effy" but that's what it should be imo

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

Hey how do y'all say UEFI? My coworker looks at me funny when I say "you-effy" but that's what it should be imo
I definitely say the letters, as do all of my coworkers.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Presentation Server? Profile on each server? :wth:

Citrix boxes were originally called Metaframe Presentation Servers since their marketing schtick was to say their virtualized apps were the middle ground between running full apps on endpoints or running terminals talking back to a mainframe.

The problem with ibm software was it didn’t work with roaming profiles and every terminal client had config files in the users directory, so every Citrix box that hosted the terminal software had to have a local copy of a user profile with those config files.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 24, 2021

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

You-fee

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

I definitely say the letters, as do all of my coworkers.

Also this with SQL and IDE but not SCSI or SATA

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

You-effy is objectively superior but I guess I'll say the letters 😕

But you do say yousb for USB right?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

regulargonzalez posted:

But you do say yousb for USB right?

:psyduck:

as opposed to..... uhsss-bee? ooo-sib? What kind of wacked-out pronunciation are you offering as an alternative?

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

SyNack Sassimov posted:

:psyduck:

as opposed to..... uhsss-bee? ooo-sib? What kind of wacked-out pronunciation are you offering as an alternative?

us-buh

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Yousb (youzzb, one syllable) -c, it just rolls off the tongue.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

regulargonzalez posted:

Yousb (youzzb, one syllable) -c, it just rolls off the tongue.

You got some weird ideas on acronym pronunciation, buddy. In the quarter century that USB has been around I've never heard anyone say anything except the three letters. Sure maybe they run it together so it's "yous-B", but one syllable?

Some people.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Farking Bastage posted:

Citrix boxes were originally called Metaframe Presentation Servers since their marketing schtick was to say their virtualized apps were the middle ground between running full apps on endpoints or running terminals talking back to a mainframe.

The problem with ibm software was it didn’t work with roaming profiles and every terminal client had config files in the users directory, so every Citrix box that hosted the terminal software had to have a local copy of a user profile with those config files.

Yeah, I'm very familiar with all that, was mostly just commiserating. Although the lack of working with roaming profiles sounds odd and IBM-like, but could probably be solved with modern roaming profiles equivalent these days. Having profiles tied to a machine is really a pain in the rear end.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

Also this with SQL and IDE but not SCSI or SATA

This, except SQL is definitely "sequel."

Anyone else seeing issues with pager networks today? Mostly directed at those of you in healthcare. We have pages intermittently failing to go through.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I say "sequel" server but refer to queries as "S" "Q" "L".

Fight me.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

bull3964 posted:

I say "sequel" server but refer to queries as "S" "Q" "L".

Fight me.

see que el

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Reasons I'm not pissed off: Finally put in my notice this morning.

Pissed off: Another 6 people were laid off and it wasnt me so no severence. I'm also just pissed at the aviation industry for being so hosed up.

Not pissed off - one of the laptops turned in had the most glorious password ever blue painters taped onto it: Assglow69

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

This, except SQL is definitely "sequel."
I've found that calling MySQL "MySequel" annoys some people to no end. :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nobody understands certificates

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I wonder how some people get out of bed.
I had a user complain to the "assistant regional manager" that my program exports data differently than another location, and isn't working with an excel spreadsheet that the other location gave them.

Why were the charts not updating? They were charts exported from Statgraphics....

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

Nobody understands certificates

I sure don’t.

I mean, I guess there’s a main certificate and then there’s a second certificate generated somehow but gently caress if I know how they work.

I stood up a CA in my home Windows domain because I wanted to get my stack of devices on the same cert so I could stop acknowledging the unverified certificate errors, but I kept downloading things and uploading them in other places and then downloading them again, but nothing ever worked.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everyone googles openssl commands every time they need to touch certs and anyone that says they don't is a filthy liar.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

xzzy posted:

Everyone googles openssl commands every time they need to touch certs and anyone that says they don't is a filthy liar.

I do this but still understand how a certificate chain works.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

xzzy posted:

You're not wrong. But I can just look at the list of flags and usually get it right on the second try!

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Got back from vacation today with plans to work with a BA prepping the test environment for UAT later this week. Hmm. Windows authentication to the SQL Server is not working in any of the non-prod environments (but SQL auth is). I guess I'll remote into the SQL server from the VPN to see if something looks funky. Hmm. It now requires NLA and won't let me connect. Kinda feels like the customer made some more changes without making anyone aware!

I submitted a ticket mid-day and they still haven't figured it out. PM said if it wasn't resolved mid-morning tomorrow, UAT will be pushed. I can't wait for it to get resolved late afternoon tomorrow and the customer PM expecting us to work into the evening hours to keep on schedule. This is the guy who didn't understand why people logged off of their PCs at EOB when working from home because "You're already at home. Where do you have to go?"

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

xzzy posted:

I wrote the ones I use the most into a modular bash script, but yeah you're not wrong. :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

xzzy posted:

What about the people who wrote those answers? :colbert:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
lmao, signed up for a demo slot showing off my Google secrets manager Implementation. Fun stuff with terraform, service accounts, pub/sub and Cartesian products.

anyways I thought demo day was this Friday. It’s actually Monday morning at 9am, and I of course had already signed up to be the first presenter. I found out my mistake at midnight right before getting into bed.

Anyways it’s currently 4:20am; I have a baller of a presentation with a full 1500 word long speech rehearsed and accompanying outfit all prepared, and I am HERE for this surprise nostalgia trip! Cramming till the wee hours of the morning to slay a procrastinated paper was my poo poo in university, and I’m bizarrely happy (or just sleep deprived) to be doing so again!

now for a well deserved joint and four blissful, beautiful hours of rest.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 09:28 on May 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

GI_Clutch posted:

This is the guy who didn't understand why people logged off of their PCs at EOB when working from home because "You're already at home. Where do you have to go?"

gently caress this guy.