Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

skasion posted:

What consumable tastes the best? My moneys on cool ranch estus from DS3

It's literally ashen estus, it probably tastes like licking a fireplace

Anyway the alluring skull is the tastiest, that's why enemies get distracted by it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
^^^ You don't eat alluring skulls!

Bogart posted:

Common fruit probably tastes alright, tho.

It's durian.

Divine Blessings have to taste pretty good. You would think.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Dung pies

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

NGDBSS posted:

It's actually the exact opposite - status resists in DS2 don't make the bar larger but instead affect how fast it fills. Every 100 points is -10% fill rate, with a hidden -10% to start with, to a hard cap of 900 resistance/immunity to that status. (Elemental resists work the same way but soft cap at 890/99% resistance.) The upside is that yes, it's possible to become immune to poison or whatever other status by stacking enough stuff. The downside is that the difference between -20% fill rate and -30% fill rate isn't very large at the earlier points in the game, as compared to the difference between -20% and -80% that's possible way later on.

Good to know, thanks. I'd always assumed it was just a flat bar increase because of how comparatively small something like Perseverance/Common Fruit seemed against something like muck buildup.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Durians are supposed to taste great. It’s just the smell that’s awful.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Look Sir Droids posted:

^^^ You don't eat alluring skulls!

You just haven't tried.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Green blossoms probably taste alright.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Djeser posted:

You just haven't tried.

Help, I'm being allured!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

skasion posted:

What consumable tastes the best? My moneys on cool ranch estus from DS3

Saute up some shrooms

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Is there a mod to put the Mountain Dew and Doritos that Big Boss invented in Metal Gear Solid Peacewalker in to a Dark Souls game?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SHISHKABOB posted:

Green blossoms probably taste alright.

Green blossoms probably taste like skunk

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I've always imagined green blossoms taste like parsley, or maybe cilantro

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Or just like really basic lettuce.

skasion posted:

Green blossoms probably taste like skunk

It sort of looks like skunk cabbage sometimes yeah.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I go with plain ol estus tasting the best

There's a reason it's an undead favorite and it's even been made into a soup!

Also

Bogart posted:

Common fruit probably tastes alright, tho.

I doubt it: "A spotted fruit. Temporarily boosts poison resist.
This common fruit has no taste, but when facing a true test of mettle, its benefits could make the difference between life and death."

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 12, 2019

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

If estus can be a soup, does that mean it's savory? Is drinking estus from the flask is like chugging chicken bullion? That would explain why it's so yellow.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Estus is bone broth.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bogart posted:

Durians are supposed to taste great. It’s just the smell that’s awful.

It's very much an acquired taste, something of a gateway drug to a whole class of fruits that taste of garlic, onions, and stinky cheese.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

What sauces would the elemental buffs correspond to, especially on the giant drumstick that is the Smelter Hammer? I figure that fire = red is regular hot sauce and that lightning = yellow is honey mustard. Magic = blue and dark = black are trickier though. Perhaps bleu cheese and mole respectively?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Dark is squid ink.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Sorcery tastes like blue raspberry and that’s why the pale pine resin has red stuff inside it

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I always thought the colorful burrs in DS2 looked potentially tasty. Either that or extremely poisonous.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

OzFactor posted:

If you do Earthen Peak first there will be a slightly less painful way down the well, however.

Kind of a scam imo, just take off your armor and equip silver cat, its fine.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I think sticky white stuff probably tastes the best.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

GutBomb posted:

I think sticky white stuff probably tastes the best.

You're right

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect
Okay,

so the second area I'm in Heide's Tower of Flame has completely broken me.

I'm just struggling completely with the game's combat systems and fighting style. I've tried a few different things now, from ditching my two handed weapons and swapping to a weapon/shield, but I can't get past a single spear-wielding knight in white armor at the top of a set of stairs.

There's just something about the combat in this game. The rolls never feel quite right, I seem to take weird chip damage all the time, I can't time the parries at all. Am I missing something fundamental? I feel like I'm doing everything I should be doing, but I've died so many times half the area has despawned now.

there's some sort of weird input-queuing happening as well, so I'm trying my best to avoid button mashing, because otherwise I end up trapped in combat animations I didn't want to fire off and dead within 2 hits.

I'm actually at a loss, and it's becoming deeply frustrating, I think I just hate the combat in this game?

literally been stuck here for 3-4 hours, and I'm at the point where I might close this down and go and do a new game+ sekiro instead.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Banjodark posted:

Okay,

so the second area I'm in Heide's Tower of Flame has completely broken me.

I'm just struggling completely with the game's combat systems and fighting style. I've tried a few different things now, from ditching my two handed weapons and swapping to a weapon/shield, but I can't get past a single spear-wielding knight in white armor at the top of a set of stairs.

There's just something about the combat in this game. The rolls never feel quite right, I seem to take weird chip damage all the time, I can't time the parries at all. Am I missing something fundamental? I feel like I'm doing everything I should be doing, but I've died so many times half the area has despawned now.

there's some sort of weird input-queuing happening as well, so I'm trying my best to avoid button mashing, because otherwise I end up trapped in combat animations I didn't want to fire off and dead within 2 hits.

I'm actually at a loss, and it's becoming deeply frustrating, I think I just hate the combat in this game?

literally been stuck here for 3-4 hours, and I'm at the point where I might close this down and go and do a new game+ sekiro instead.

The white heide knights are the stupidest most hosed up enemy in the game. Run past him or something maybe. He does lots of wild swings that track really strongly. Try to just run behind him without locking on and swing at him.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
There's nothing vital behind that knight anyway, go somewhere else.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Spear Heide Knights are probably near the top of anyone's list of annoying enemies. That one leashes in the central rotunda so you can shoot at him with a bow while falling back towards Dragonrider until he stops chasing, and repeat until he's dead. I like getting that area done early because the parma is nice for the rest of the game, but it's completely optional.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect
okay everyone,

I went the other way, walked into a boss, one shot him and feel better, but now all the other knights are walking around and goddamn.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Banjodark posted:

okay everyone,

I went the other way, walked into a boss, one shot him and feel better, but now all the other knights are walking around and goddamn.

Make sure you talk to the lady.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
holy poo poo lol, I beat Sinh on my first try with one of my weapons broken. Everything was so hectic I didn't even notice until afterwards, and I was like "oh that's why I wasn't doing poo poo for damage"

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

SHISHKABOB posted:

Make sure you talk to the lady.

I did and bought magical healing abilities that I can't use yet! pumped! and feeling less despondent about the white knights now.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Banjodark posted:

Heide knight woes

Ignore the spear-wielding knight. I've never killed him once, and never wanted/needed to. The rest of the Heide knights are actually real easy once you learn them. They have a particular rhythm that's easy to pick up. Ditto for the really huge dudes. The way I handled the area was a little slow, but reliable--I used a bow to aggro enemies individually and draw them out to me and kill them one at a time, maybe try that for a bit.

Alternately, they're all really easy to just sprint past, but Heide's Tower was a pretty good practice ground for me to git gud at fighting the knight-type characters in general.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Also, of course; check your Agility. You want 99 until you know what you’re doing.

Also also? I applaud your sensitivity, but you don’t gotta censor names of places. Game is five years old. They aren’t spoilers.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

My trick to beating the spear heide knight is baiting out his weird elbow swing move. While he does that you get enough time to roll past him and backstab.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Also you mentioned you're taking a lot of chip damage, and that's true of the start of DS2 for every build. You don't get a full physical resist shield at first, so you're going to have to deal with chip damage, and if you haven't invested in Adaptability (or Attunement) at all, your rolls will have much smaller windows of invincibility, since that's what Agility controls.

The Heide knights are tough and the only thing left to check out in Heide's is an (admittedly neat) boss which guards a co-op covenant.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
God drat this game is gorgeous

e: a friend pointed out that the chain looks like poops and now I can't unsee it

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 13, 2019

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Bogart posted:

Also, of course; check your Agility. You want 99 until you know what you’re doing.

Also also? I applaud your sensitivity, but you don’t gotta censor names of places. Game is five years old. They aren’t spoilers.

this is good advice re: agility,

thanks for everything all! I will continue onward.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
If the slog to the other event in Heide's becomes unbearable, there should be a summon sign before the area with the Dragonrider boss. "Masterless Glencour" sure can take some hits for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Tip for when you come back: the spear heide knights have an attack where the startup always looks the same, then they jump at you. Hold up your shield and block their poo poo until they do the startup, then walk around them (not roll), that will cause the jump to miss, and you get a free backstab. It's of course doable without a shield (after all, the critical part is walking around their attack), but while you're figuring out what I mean with the startup and as safety, it will be very helpful.