Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Classic skulls or :getout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
https://twitter.com/brickset/status/1414932747521495041?s=21

A follow up to the T1 van!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The original looks much better.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
You mean the T1 Lego or the original bus this is modelled on?

I like the roof better than the T1 one and they’re gonna look great next to each other. May be the first big new set I‘m buying this year I think.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

The original looks much better.

Well that's because the first one was a model of the most popular looking version of the T2 from the 60's. This one is the more utilitarian looking version as we got into the 70's. I wonder if in 5 more years they're gonna give us a vanagon. :v:

I dig that new windshield mold too. They also gave it steering which I can never get mad about.

Along with the hippie stickers it should come with some rust stickers.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Yeah this is the one you would see endless rows of at festivals, not sure how many T1s are still rolling by comparison

None of the big Technic or Creator cars are for me though I appreciate the level of detail they can get to now. Not all of them are superstars

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I'd love to see their take on the Vanagon

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
I wonder if ill end up buying the T2. As much as I love the T1 I already have all the other creative expert level vehicles (minus bus) and I'm running out of space to display them lol.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
It looks all right, but drat, that roof is so tall. Look at the distance from the top of the windows to the top of the roof on a real one vs on the model. It's a height of 9 plates / 3 bricks on the model, the same height as the windows themselves! Maybe it's just me, but that particular dimension is really bugging me.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yeah now it looks really Brickheads-y lol but I dig it still (?)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dang, they just reveled the pickup, can they chill? I was hoping for a nice quiet back half of the year with less sets I wanted.

Not loving that price, but it seems to be a fair bit higher in piece count then the T1?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Carbohydrates posted:

It looks all right, but drat, that roof is so tall. Look at the distance from the top of the windows to the top of the roof on a real one vs on the model. It's a height of 9 plates / 3 bricks on the model, the same height as the windows themselves! Maybe it's just me, but that particular dimension is really bugging me.

I just noticed the front wheel wells. That design is blowing my mind.

The roof is pretty goofy now that you point it out but that feels like a concession to make room for the pop-up tent. I could see myself modding it to be a couple plates tall using a truckload of bricklink'd slopes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I know someone who welded a VW bug on top of a VW bus and painted it like a mushroom trip

Can I get that model

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I don’t think should have done this photo. It just makes it clearer how much it barely looks like the real thing. It reminds me more of a Suzuki Carry.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

The_Doctor posted:

I don’t think LEGO should have done this photo. It just makes it clearer how much it barely looks like the real thing. It reminds me more of a Suzuki Carry.
Yeah, agreed. There is a lot of nitpicking to be done, but there is also just broadly wrong choice of forms that didn’t need to be the wrong form.

A messy one.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

The_Doctor posted:

I don’t think should have done this photo. It just makes it clearer how much it barely looks like the real thing. It reminds me more of a Suzuki Carry.

The picture certainly makes the model look like a slightly related camper.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r44fk-F6MR4

Those are some pretty terrible stickers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The play features are bonkers awesome though. The steering and sliding door are awesome ideas. The roof removal is pretty drat unique too.. I don't think it justifies the thickness but it is an awesome idea.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I can forsake accuracy for some cool features. Still not for me though, perhaps I should try building my own 1:18 scale car. Those wheel wells have got me to thinking.

RatHat posted:

All stickers are terrible. :colbert:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I personally don't line stickers, but I won't begrudge Lego for using them if otherwise it meant not having other parts, but not even bothering to match the ink to the shade of the bricks is a poo poo move. If they are going to force stickers on people, at least put in the effort to make them match.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

RatHat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r44fk-F6MR4

Wow, absolutely wild. I don't say this often at all, but this set really seems like it's less than the sum of its parts. The techniques and features and mechanical design are all so amazing, yet the complete build looks so lackluster to me. I bet it's a ton of fun to put together and play with, though.

edit: also what the gently caress was that green Technic pin? Tiago glanced past that way too quickly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There are some amazing techniques in there. It seems kind of lackluster to me, but I can see why people will like it. There are a lot of cool details in there, but it's not for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Carbohydrates posted:

edit: also what the gently caress was that green Technic pin? Tiago glanced past that way too quickly.

I couldn't see where they're used on the set but the ability to put a stud socket on the side of a technic brick seems pretty handy to me. The axle doesn't have friction ridges on them which lessens their utility in my eyes but get a bin full of them and I bet people can make some cool assemblies.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Tony Sorete posted:

The new Spooky VIP Pack will have six skeletons per pack (check the parts inventory): https://brickset.com/sets/40513-1/Spooky-VIP-Add-On-Pack

Oh poo poo that's exactly what I'm looking for! Any idea when it will be released

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

...how long have I had an Aquazone crystal in my pocket?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

xzzy posted:

I couldn't see where they're used on the set but the ability to put a stud socket on the side of a technic brick seems pretty handy to me. The axle doesn't have friction ridges on them which lessens their utility in my eyes but get a bin full of them and I bet people can make some cool assemblies.

This timetamp shows the part in use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdVjXxiDBzo&t=385s

Seems like a unnecessary mold overall but I will never complain about more ways to stick studs to stuff. Maybe they have bigger plans for it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Guns are not a ...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
No longer content with shooting kids holding toys, now cops can shoot kids with a toy!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's a lawsuit.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
They got exactly what they wanted doing that, which is tons of good publicity from the worst sort of 2A supporters, and bad publicity from the sort they expected to get bad publicity from, which just gets them MORE attention and business from the aforementioned. It's actually surprising that it took so long for it to hit the mainstream as the Firearm Blog profiled that thing like a week ago.

People have made AR-15s with Nerf motifs and the Browning Buck can be made into a pretty convincing clone of the original Nintendo light gun.

In fact, more than a few of the comments on the TFB post decry that it's irresponsible: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/07/08/culper-precision-block19/

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Just saw a bunch of Star Wars sets on clearance at Walmart.

$48 for Poe Damerons X-Wing
$39 Resistance Y-Wing
$18 Obi Wan's Hurt

Just to name a few.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Carbohydrates posted:

This photo is not really comparing the Lego set with the correct version of the T2 van.

Here is what the actual camper version (which Lego set is based on) looks like:

As you can see the roof IS taller on this one.

Interestingly, the Lego designers decided to also use the American-style reinforced bumpers on this set, rather than the plain European ones.

Also: day one for me.

ivantod fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 14, 2021

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

ivantod posted:

This photo is not really comparing the Lego set with the correct version of the T2 van.

Interestingly, the Lego designers decided to also use the American-style reinforced bumpers on this set, rather than the plain European ones.

Yeah it's weird that they're using a non pop-top westfalia camper in the comparison photo.

Holding out for the vanagon.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The wheels are just all off to me

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

HootTheOwl posted:

The wheels are just all off to me

If you mean in terms of size, they actually start off the whole build when doing creator expert cars on sizing the wheel correctly, I remember reading.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

ivantod posted:

Gotcha, thanks for that!

Also, my take on the C3 is done. Realtalk this is one of my favorite cars I have ever built (so I took more pics than usual). Hope y'all enjoy it too.

The clip on the rear deck is easily reversible so it can quickly swap between having the luggage rack and not having it:

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Carbohydrates posted:

Also, my take on the C3 is done. Realtalk this is one of my favorite cars I have ever built (so I took more pics than usual). Hope y'all enjoy it too.

That's gorgeous!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I just built the official one and it looks like a garbage pile compared to that, which is embarrassing since you think they’d have more opportunity to capture the shape with 2 extra studs of width.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbohydrates posted:

Gotcha, thanks for that!

The clip on the rear deck is easily reversible so it can quickly swap between having the luggage rack and not having it:

Very very nice. It's a great build when it's not a car I even like, but I'd want the model version all the same.