Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yeah I don't think there's anyone here who has a problem with the idea of Tony having a redemption arc, the problem is the execution. Tom forgot to include the, uh, redemption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

He also forgot to include the Tony. When was the last time he was in the strip for any noticeable event?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Yeah I don't feel there were any plans of having Tony as an antagonist at any point or that he would've fallen into that role had he continued to appear in a more prominent sense. For a while he was portrayed as an antagonist, but this was ultimately subverted by dumb poo poo like the chapter where Annie asks for Renard and he just gives him back and the chapter ends, or all the profuse manpain seeping out of his pores and the adults around Annie attempting to desperately explain how he's a good person actually and it's just her specifically who will never be able to connect with him ever. In a different story by a different author, maybe, but here? It's pretty clear he was always meant to be a tragic and sympathetic figure whose problems are treated as an impossible-to-overcome biological hurdle, a hurdle that will forever be causing his daughter emotional damage by his fundamental inability to see her as her own singular human being. Foreverially anxious and miserable, seeing his daughter in the shadow of his dead wife and hating it, yet unable to ever take responsibility for it.

J.A.B.C. posted:

He also forgot to include the Tony. When was the last time he was in the strip for any noticeable event?
I believe it was when Loup had his tantrum after the Shadow Men tried to suck the Coyote out of him and Tony helped assist in the rescue effort. Then he apparently neatly explained the Omega Device, a thing he's been working on for years & longterm foreshadowed ominous comic mystery, to his daughter (who he is notably distant from and it would be an important development to see him talking to her) COMPLETELY OFFSCREEN. Hence the speculation that Tom might be writing Tony out due to the negative backlash to his character.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jun 4, 2022

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Tiny Myers posted:

dumb poo poo like the chapter where Annie asks for Renard and he just gives him back and the chapter ends

That one was pretty funny tho

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Count Uvula posted:

That one was pretty funny tho
Yeah that was solid and, again, could have been a great step in a larger narrative arc.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I don't know if I agree with calling ethics and morals a "technology", but I get it that Renard put it that way to drive home a point to Kat. Anyhow, that isn't the point I want to make, so I'd rather not debate semantics.

People saying the panels on the latest page 2632 don't flow, I can see it. However my interpretation is Renard just poked a huge hole in Kat's weird take on things in the last few pages, and after seeing the expressions on both Kat and Annie's faces while Annie holds on to Renard, Annie's misinterpretation is just her trying to do some damage control on the fly while perhaps accidentally trying to give an idea of her own.

I've definitely done the "reword the argument between two friends in order to lighten the mood" more then a few times before. Annie's just missing the point quite a bit and inserting some of her own opinions which probably isn't helping as much as she thinks it is.

But maybe it will work because who knows lately, or it's just crazy jumping around to make story point stuff and I'm giving too much credit.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
They used to be the two smartest people in the comic.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I guess this okay???

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This seems so manic and confusing.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I am glad Annie cares as little about Jerrek's various affections as I do.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Apparently this art AI comes from the Zimmyverse:

https://twitter.com/ai_curio_bot/status/1533642627576471554

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

GunnerJ posted:

I am glad Annie cares as little about Jerrek's various affections as I do.

And the final nail is hammered into the coffin of 'she was lying to Jerrek to trick Loup' - looking back, this makes the bit where Annie explains Omega just, incredibly bad.

Loup was bad but Jerrek has been significantly worse, between that scene and the whole alley sexual peril thing. Can we go back to Loup? I promise I'll stop complaining about Loup.

Also, justice for Lana, she was a lot of fun for a little while there.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I'm mostly just baffled as to how trickster spirit Reynardine, best known for tricking Ysengrin into hurting himself and second-best known for being tricked into killing a friend of his and being imprisoned for the better part of two decades where he remains to this day, isn't even remotely suspicious of any of this.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the chapter title is still called "Snare," i'm clinging to the belief that it's going to be relevant beyond that quarter-assed attempt to annoy loup earlier

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Joe Slowboat posted:

And the final nail is hammered into the coffin of 'she was lying to Jerrek to trick Loup' - looking back, this makes the bit where Annie explains Omega just, incredibly bad.
Yeah that was my read on this comic, and it's very sad. Let's go back and have a look at the thread when the whole Omega conversation dropped:

maswastaken posted:

There Bias Two posted:

Based on the below-page comment, I think she's lying about the whole thing here as bait.
That's about the only explanation that makes sense. She has no reason to tell him this and what she's saying can't possibly be true.

Niavmai posted:

Ditocoaf posted:

Well, I'm looking forward to finding out whether or not you all are just stuck in the bargaining phase of loss. The theory seems half-plausible, but I've been disappointed before.
honestly i thought it was kinda obvious, i'm surprised that people missed her expression

e: :actually:

Darth TNT posted:

worm girl posted:

The closed system thing finally makes this conversation make sense to me. I was wondering where it was going, but now we have an actually new piece of information and an explanation of why they want to build a new Court.

So I'm still pretty sure Annie is deceiving Loup here (and that's why we're stuck with his POV), but I wonder if her aim was to actually get him to help figure out what the Court is doing. She knew Coyote better than most people, maybe she knew his weird son would be able to draw on his knowledge.
I hope that theory pans out, because that would explain a bunch of behaviours. It's also amusing in how Loup mentions the Ether would screw everything up, ie not being fair.

Tenebrais posted:

There Bias Two posted:

I can't believe all this key omega info was just dumped by her dad off-screen.

I thought maybe *she* was completely bluffing, but flashbacks on her end make me believe the info is at least partially true.
Hmm, it's looking more like a lie to me. We saw how Annie learned about their expeditions, it was Anja who told her.

Donkringel posted:

Yea. Why the hell would a court robot know about the aether? Jerrek is frankly too well learned for a robot. Once you add in his "amnesia" it's clear he isn't who he says he is.

Annie may have suspected and now is narrowing in on Jerreks identity. She also dropped some decent bait right there. The most likely reason the Omega device would work differently is coyote dying and becoming Loup. Loup being egotistical would think the reason he can't control the forest is the Omega device making predictions, so he goes out to destroy it.

Man when I'm totally wrong again I'm gonna need to eat so much robo-crow.

Niavmai posted:

IUG posted:

Yeah I think everyone who believes that she is baiting Loup is just setting themselves up for disappointment. The way this comic has been lately, this just feels like another info dump.

I was going to say “I’ll be pleasantly surprised if I’m wrong”, but then I again I just typed how this has been nothing more than a bland info dump.
there is absolutely no way that tom did these last two panels by accident. no matter how shaken my faith may be, tom is certainly not THAT level of slouch. i don't think it even needs to be questioned.

but once again, it's another information dump during an uninteresting conversation, between a main character that i barely know anymore, and a brand new character, that i already don't like, pretending to be yet another new character, that i also don't like.

YaketySass posted:

if this isn't the ol' Surma trick this comic has gone even more off the deep end than I thought

Lt. Lizard posted:

At this point, I simply can't see this chapter as anything else than Annie knowing Yerek is Loup and baiting/manipulating him. If it the whole thing turns out to be something else, than I guess it will be my turn to lose all faith in the writing.

Oxxidation posted:

even with all my earlier griping I feel like homer chasing the pig right now

like, she’s got to know, right? She has to know. he’s been so obvious about it! this comic’s making me feel like the lunatic for seeing how obvious it is

Skippy McPants posted:

Seriously. If this isn't some kind of bait and Annie's interaction here is 100% sincere then I think that's my cue to exit.

And of course,

Tiny Myers posted:

That said, I think she's definitely baiting him. Note how she's reacted to any of this - which is to say, not at all. Annie isn't immune to blushing or being embarrassed, but she's all smiles and calmness even at her hands being forcibly grabbed by a boy who visibly has a crush on her. Her expression is way too consistently serene.

:negative:

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
sighs and throws hat on the ground

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I’m glad we are finally leaving the bargaining phase.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I'm not, it's way more fun than the other phases!

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
M-maybe Annie does know Jerrek is Loup and she is playing her cards so close to her chest that she's not telling anyone, not even Kat and Reynardine?

For once taking advantage narratively of the fact that we are no longer privy to her thoughts?

Please?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Let me sink in my copium

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Sometimes I wonder what ChibiSoma would think of this plotline.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Oxxidation posted:

the chapter title is still called "Snare," i'm clinging to the belief that it's going to be relevant beyond that quarter-assed attempt to annoy loup earlier

Maybe it's a reference to the chapter of the same name from Worm, and there will be a loving homage!

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

isasphere posted:

M-maybe Annie does know Jerrek is Loup and she is playing her cards so close to her chest that she's not telling anyone, not even Kat and Reynardine?

For once taking advantage narratively of the fact that we are no longer privy to her thoughts?

Please?

That would still fall flat at this point. If you're going to do a turnaround like that, you need to mislead the audience so they're pleasantly surprised when the whole thing turns out to have been a trick. The thread has already had time to notice something was off, say, "I know what's really going on!" and then realize that no, actually, nothing is going on.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

worm girl posted:

That would still fall flat at this point. If you're going to do a turnaround like that, you need to mislead the audience so they're pleasantly surprised when the whole thing turns out to have been a trick. The thread has already had time to notice something was off, say, "I know what's really going on!" and then realize that no, actually, nothing is going on.

Once the thread fully embraces that there is no trick, THEN the trick will land even harder!!!!

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

The double-double-double cross, where you make your audience think something's up, then they think your comic is bad, then they think something's up again, then they think it's bad again, and THEN you hit them with it :hmmyes:

Can't wait for it to zoom out and Tony to be sitting by a monitor. He addresses the audience, "...And that's why an enclosed simulation of everything would be bad. Because life would become very tepid and boring and one dimensional." And it pans out to show the audience is a deeply horrified Kat who has been watching this whole thing simulated on Tony's iMac.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Tiny Myers posted:

The double-double-double cross, where you make your audience think something's up, then they think your comic is bad, then they think something's up again, then they think it's bad again, and THEN you hit them with it :hmmyes:

Can't wait for it to zoom out and Tony to be sitting by a monitor. He addresses the audience, "...And that's why an enclosed simulation of everything would be bad. Because life would become very tepid and boring and one dimensional." And it pans out to show the audience is a deeply horrified Kat who has been watching this whole thing simulated on Tony's iMac.

Tony starts being erased and we zoom out to Tea sitting at an artist's desk. She grins and says, "Ain't I a stinker?" and then the Looney Tunes end theme plays.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tiny Myers posted:

Oh so Loup had noclip

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

DontMockMySmock posted:

Sometimes I wonder what ChibiSoma would think of this plotline.
I would think that any threat to an "Annie/Kat end" wouldn't play well.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Fecha posted:

I would think that any threat to an "Annie/Kat end" wouldn't play well.

But is Loup/Jerrek a more or less interesting male than what's-his-face from Sailor Moon? These are the questions that keep me up at night.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

how loving dare you

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Thinking about it, one of the worst possible (and still plausible) developments I can imagine would be an unironic and genuine romance between Annie and Loup/Jerek so I certainly hope that the comic is not hinting at it.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Here's Kat's invitation to anti Hogwarts. I can't imagine anything could actually compel her to leave Paz, Annie, and the New People behind, but I worry the conversation over the last few pages was a last minute effort to make it feel less contrived when she does.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Should have delivered it by tictoc and given her a nervous breakdown

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

"Kat is encouraged to go as a double agent to get intel on Omega but then starts drinking the koolaid" seems like it's not so much being hinted at as actively being screamed

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CYBEReris posted:

"Kat is encouraged to go as a double agent to get intel on Omega but then starts drinking the koolaid" seems like it's not so much being hinted at as actively being screamed
It works have worked better if they hadn't done the whole "hmm unfettered research you say" thing for a few pages.

Like, again with the missed potential, Kat's Tony Time has already shown her to be easily swayed from "ugh I hate that guy!!!!!!!" to "he's kinda funny and smart actually". If this hadn't been portrayed as Kat realising the truth about how awesome Tony really is then instead it plus how oblivious she is to how unstable Robot is would be a pretty good lead in to how her terrible judge of character/excessive willingness to forgive leads to her going full court native after being separated from her support group.

But no Tony is just that cool and good.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Splicer posted:

It works have worked better if they hadn't done the whole "hmm unfettered research you say" thing for a few pages.

Like, again with the missed potential, Kat's Tony Time has already shown her to be easily swayed from "ugh I hate that guy!!!!!!!" to "he's kinda funny and smart actually". If this hadn't been portrayed as Kat realising the truth about how awesome Tony really is then instead it plus how oblivious she is to how unstable Robot is would be a pretty good lead in to how her terrible judge of character/excessive willingness to forgive leads to her going full court native after being separated from her support group.

But no Tony is just that cool and good.

It's frustrating because I can see how this whole thing could be salvaged or reworked and fit in a way that feels better (to me at least.) Kat's expressed anger and anxiety about the aetheric forces being uncontrolled, unpredictable, and dangerous. And she's right. She's expressed disgust at how it seems like the Court can do what it pleases with no oversight or controls in place to avoid harming people. There's plenty of completely ungoverned aetheric entities with god powers and nobody around to stop them, too. Heck, one of them just took the neighboring forest and leveled a huge chunk of the place she's lived in her whole life. Some of the organized aetheric groups have rules governing them, but of the same kind of opaque red tape "dude trust me on this" variety as the Court's.

As a basic starting premise, the Court's concerns with magic are valid. It's very hard to stop, predict, control, prevent and magic does endanger the lives of innocents. From their POV: Why should we believe that talking forest animals and characters from children's stories are trustworthy stewards of that kind of power? We [the Court] are governed by physical laws, by ethical and maybe legal standards of humans. We have limits and boundaries that magic constantly violates. It's a perfect wedge to drive between Kat and all of her friends and loved ones. There's even specific leverage available. Annie is destined to die if she ever has children. It's incurable with modern medicine. Tony tried. The aetheric nature of it could not be stopped. Why wouldn't the Court tell Tony that if they get Kat on their side, she could save Annie? And then Tony in turn could apply that pressure...

Like nothing we've seen so far has demonstrated that the Court would do any better with that power, and most likely when they make a bid for it things are going to go very badly. However, that's all still feeding back into one of the main themes of the story, that magic/tech stuff is a false dichotomy.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Nuns with Guns posted:

As a basic starting premise, the Court's concerns with magic are valid. It's very hard to stop, predict, control, prevent and magic does endanger the lives of innocents. From their POV: Why should we believe that talking forest animals and characters from children's stories are trustworthy stewards of that kind of power? We [the Court] are governed by physical laws, by ethical and maybe legal standards of humans. We have limits and boundaries that magic constantly violates. It's a perfect wedge to drive between Kat and all of her friends and loved ones. There's even specific leverage available. Annie is destined to die if she ever has children. It's incurable with modern medicine. Tony tried. The aetheric nature of it could not be stopped. Why wouldn't the Court tell Tony that if they get Kat on their side, she could save Annie? And then Tony in turn could apply that pressure...
Yeah, this would make more sense. "Annie, I've been with you for years and all the etheric stuff you deal with just keeps trying to kill you and deceive you and straight up WILL kill you if you ever get pregnant. What if living in an area free of the ether would change that?"

As it is now it's just... so limp. Kat wants to go to the court because there's no limits on experiments. What experiments? (emphatic shrug)

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Tiny Myers posted:

Yeah, this would make more sense. "Annie, I've been with you for years and all the etheric stuff you deal with just keeps trying to kill you and deceive you and straight up WILL kill you if you ever get pregnant. What if living in an area free of the ether would change that?"

As it is now it's just... so limp. Kat wants to go to the court because there's no limits on experiments. What experiments? (emphatic shrug)

Yeah that's the frustrating part about this. There are a lot of valid reasons for Kat to go to the other court but the one we are given isn't one of them. It's just a complete 180 of everything we know about Kat.

Though, I still think it's going to be a fake out to stir up drama before we figure out Kat's real reason for going much later. But if that's the case I wish he'd just play it straight cause I think this plot development would be interesting enough without needing to inject fake drama into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tiny Myers posted:

Yeah, Kat thinking wistfully of performing research somewhere where weird godbeings aren't constantly sticking their ear in would make a lot of sense, and is also pretty close to the court's motivations.