Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sniep posted:

i hope the new iphones keep lightning for at least one more version cuz i A) need to upgrade mine and B) have a real expensive flir camera that uses lightning

the thing i read said that the model they release in sept or whatever will be lightning, but that usb-c iphones will be coming out in 2023. idk if that's for all iphones or just some, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don’t think anyone outside of apple knows that far in advance

instead of a dual port phone I would expect a $30 adapter

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'd bet on timb removing all ports as a gently caress you to both customers and the eu

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

apple anounced their new product designer: Sir Johnny the White

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Sniep posted:

i hope the new iphones keep lightning for at least one more version cuz i A) need to upgrade mine and B) have a real expensive flir camera that uses lightning

lightning to usbc cables are already a thing though?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

BobHoward posted:

lightning to usbc cables are already a thing though?

wont work with a flir tho, its gotta be anchored to the port on the phone

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
oh yeah if it's a big ol' dongle thingy with just a lightning plug, RIP

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the ecosystem must periodically be refreshed with the blood of high margin accessories

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

usb-c is only faster than lightning, it's worse in every other respect. it's thicker, less durable, harder to clean, and way more prone to breaking or loosening ports. just like so many things though there's an inescapable crush of people that stampede towards mediocrity

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i don't give a poo poo im just sick of having a bunch of different charging cables

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

chaosbreather posted:

usb-c is only faster than lightning, it's worse in every other respect. it's thicker, less durable, harder to clean, and way more prone to breaking or loosening ports. just like so many things though there's an inescapable crush of people that stampede towards mediocrity

you may not like it, but this is what peak respect for the consumer looks like

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

i mean personally i think diversity needs to be celebrated and protected in all forms, but if you want to play in to an obvious SV cryptofascist agitprop campaign trying to make people think that having differences is in some way painful and needs any amount of time or resources devoted to

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

apple: an obvious SV cryptofascist agitprop campaign

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

chaosbreather posted:

it's thicker, less durable, harder to clean, and way more prone to breaking or loosening ports.
:smugmrgw:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

chaosbreather posted:

lol wrong. lightning is the shittiest flimsiest connector there is and usb c is superior in every way

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

lol

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
magsafe good, lightning bad

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Shaggar posted:

lol wrong. lightning is the shittiest flimsiest connector there is and usb c is superior in every way

what do you think i mean when i'm talking about the lightning connector?

i'm talking about this single piece of solid metal:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah. that thing snaps off constantly. its a piece of poo poo

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

chaosbreather posted:

i mean personally i think diversity needs to be celebrated and protected in all forms, but if you want to play in to an obvious SV cryptofascist agitprop campaign trying to make people think that having differences is in some way painful and needs any amount of time or resources devoted to

this is a top 5 post of all time wtf lmao

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shaggar posted:

yeah. that thing snaps off constantly. its a piece of poo poo

what are you doing to your cables

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

haveblue posted:

snapping them off inside of devices instead of leaving well enough alone

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I've never snapped off a lightning connector and I'm not particularly careful with them

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
they’re a great connector but it’ll be a good future when a lot of stuff is usb c

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
shaggar is basically the yospos equivalent of lennie from of mice and men, except with cables instead of puppies

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

TOOT BOOT posted:

I've never snapped off a lightning connector and I'm not particularly careful with them

i did it once

i'm not super happy with lightning but the usbc seems worse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: replace all this trash with 8 pin, 1/4" bayo connectors, poo poo is badass

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

haveblue posted:

shagger hasn’t gotten over the failure of windows phone and takes it out on his iphone 13 (because he always has the latest model)

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
the lumias were ahead of their time

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have not snapped either connector off but at least I know what all my lightning cables do

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i use my 2017 mbp with the touch bar and trash keyboard solely docked at work but yesterday i tried using it for a bit as a laptop in a meeting and wanted to die. unbearably bad keyboard how did j use this for five years. christ

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

bump_fn posted:

i use my 2017 mbp with the touch bar and trash keyboard solely docked at work but yesterday i tried using it for a bit as a laptop in a meeting and wanted to die. unbearably bad keyboard how did j use this for five years. christ

I thought the same thing when I sold my 2018 (had a 16 before that) for a used 2015 around early 2019, was trying to save money.
despite it being palpably slower it was leaps beyond a better experience.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

rotor posted:

i did it once

i'm not super happy with lightning but the usbc seems worse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: replace all this trash with 8 pin, 1/4" bayo connectors, poo poo is badass

thank christ you aren't in charge of anything meaningful.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
i’ve had iphones since 09 and have never snapped the end off a lightning cable.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

DELETE CASCADE posted:

magsafe good, lightning bad

every connector should be magsafe or twist-and-lock now depending on how it's used

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i'd say click-and-lock but gently caress me are some displayport cables a motherfucker to pull out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
bring back the og ipod connector imo

if it was good enough for iphone 4 it's good enough today and even tomorrow