Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Brume tower is my favorite area but this run to the blue smelter demon is loving rear end, especially when my arrows only do about 60 damage to the possessed armors. I'm glad i can at least poison the mages (that i can't reach with melee, wtf)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Pretty sure you're just supposed to run past. That area is intended for co-op. All the DLCs have an area like that.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
There's a different path that leads to the mages and skips the ground-level enemies if you pull the lever, but it's only open for a few seconds.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

Pretty sure you're just supposed to run past. That area is intended for co-op. All the DLCs have an area like that.
Oh, that explains it. I'm guessing that the Sunken King one was Cave of the Dead? That part was a huge pain in the rear end with a ton of goddamn enemies.

Promethium posted:

There's a different path that leads to the mages and skips the ground-level enemies if you pull the lever, but it's only open for a few seconds.
I don't remember seeing a lever like what you describe, I'll have to look around a bit more carefully today I guess.

e: oh THAT lever! I thought it just triggered all those soldiers to come after me. Okay, cool! I think I got this then.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 15, 2019

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vermain posted:

Sorcery has a broad assortment of cool spells and is easy to get going from the start. Yearn + a Dagger is an amazingly effective strategy against the majority of the enemies in the game.

Ya I am just gonna see what feels fun and not op. The last time I did a mage build was in DeS and that was basically spam Soul Arrow because how op it was.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ulio posted:

Ya I am just gonna see what feels fun and not op. The last time I did a mage build was in DeS and that was basically spam Soul Arrow because how op it was.

Most of the generic Soul Arrow-type spells are only mildly more effective than using a bow with appropriate scaling. The big draw of Sorc is mainly high damage spells like Soul Spear/Soul Greatsword that can clear out groups or do large single hits on bosses. There's unfortunately not a lot of clever utility spells in DS2, likely because they were incredibly hard to balance in DS1 (Rapport, Hidden Body, etc.), but there's a few gems like Force, Yearn, and Lingering Flame out there.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Royal Rat Vanguard sure was a weird fight. Also went back to Heide’s and took out the dragon and Dragonslayer. Rocking a Tower Shield now. Iron Keep is a bit tough - I had no idea that first fog gate would be a boss and went in totally unprepared. Still almost got him first try!

Edit: Smelter Demon took me way way way too many tries. No more knights respawning in the area before him now though! That’s the first time that’s happened to me.

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 17, 2019

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

dantheman650 posted:

Royal Rat Vanguard sure was a weird fight. Also went back to Heide’s and took out the dragon and Dragonslayer. Rocking a Tower Shield now. Iron Keep is a bit tough - I had no idea that first fog gate would be a boss and went in totally unprepared. Still almost got him first try!

Edit: Smelter Demon took me way way way too many tries. No more knights respawning in the area before him now though! That’s the first time that’s happened to me.

You beat the Smelter Demon? You should backtrack and carefully check out his arena, you might have missed something!

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Soul Reaver posted:

You beat the Smelter Demon? You should backtrack and carefully check out his arena, you might have missed something!

Indeed. Pig ahead, but shield.

Or am I forgetting someone? :getin:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Soul Reaver posted:

Nice.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect
Alright everyone - I’m back after a week of work and ready to crush through this game again.

I just killed something that was absolutely Jabba the Hutt and slurped up all their souls.

On a question of weapons - any fun weapons I should give a try upgrading? I’m pretty much using the battle axe from the blacksmith at +7 right now.

I’ve also started upgrading a great sword - but need to up some stats before I feel like it’s worth using without being in fatroll forever.

I’ve also got a Estoc on the way as well, but I find it’s durability is really bad.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Banjodark posted:

Alright everyone - I’m back after a week of work and ready to crush through this game again.

I just killed something that was absolutely Jabba the Hutt and slurped up all their souls.

On a question of weapons - any fun weapons I should give a try upgrading? I’m pretty much using the battle axe from the blacksmith at +7 right now.

I’ve also started upgrading a great sword - but need to up some stats before I feel like it’s worth using without being in fatroll forever.

I’ve also got a Estoc on the way as well, but I find it’s durability is really bad.

What armor are you wearing? My advice is to just wear something light with decent resistances and not worry about heavy armor because armor doesn’t do much aside from weighing you down.

That will get you out of permanent fatroll.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Banjodark posted:

On a question of weapons - any fun weapons I should give a try upgrading?

Bit of an oddball suggestion, but either the regular ol' Spear or the Partizan are pretty fun and versatile weapons. Dual Caestus is also a blast, although it's kinda tough for a first playthrough.

GutBomb posted:

What armor are you wearing? My advice is to just wear something light with decent resistances and not worry about heavy armor because armor doesn’t do much aside from weighing you down.

Physical resistances in non-NG+ are useful against a lot of non-boss enemies, since they're a flat reduction in damage, which gives you a little more breathing room against swarms of Hollows, arrows, or multi-hit attacks. Poise is also still useful, though not as useful as in DS1. Elemental resistances and the amount of Poise you want are usually what I look for, but, especially if it's your first time through, wearing some medium or heavy armor isn't a bad idea.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 18, 2019

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Banjodark posted:

Embrace your inner darth-maul and find a twinblade.

The best one imo (red iron twinblade) isn't available to you yet, but all of them are cool and have fairly unique movesets not available in other DS games.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

GutBomb posted:

That will get you out of permanent fatroll.

at the moment I've stacked every piece of poison resist related armor I can because I'm in that gross-rear end swamp pits area.

but I'm using a combo of vangarian and my starting armor (falconer). Any recommendations on great armors is appreciated, as I am absolutely picking and choosing things on how pretty I look half the time.

I have a twin blade, and I am very tempted to go full darth maul, I might upgrade it a bit and start using it for fun.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Banjodark posted:

at the moment I've stacked every piece of poison resist related armor I can because I'm in that gross-rear end swamp pits area.

but I'm using a combo of vangarian and my starting armor (falconer). Any recommendations on great armors is appreciated, as I am absolutely picking and choosing things on how pretty I look half the time.

I have a twin blade, and I am very tempted to go full darth maul, I might upgrade it a bit and start using it for fun.

I used the falconer armor until I got the Llewellyn set and I’ve been wearing that since (now in NG+, just got to Drangleic Castle.)

I also went without a shield all the way through carrying a zweihander so I was around 32-40% equip load.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect
Any thoughts on upgrading armor as well? I'm upgrading weapons whenever I can, but I haven't really bothered upgrading armor yet. I imagine it has its uses though.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
only upgrade armor when you've literally upgraded everything else and have a ton of souls to spare. It doesn't help much. You're better off buying aromatic oozes, lifegems, etc instead.

Try powerstancing sometime, it's fun!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Banjodark posted:

You are playing the game right.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
With how physical resistances work most armor is not worth the cost to upgrade. Extreme cases like super-heavy stuff like Havel's may be the exception. (Or you run around with some cosplay all the time and want to optimize.)

What your looking for is stuff with elemental resistance. Unlike physical it is percentage based. 900 fire resistance means you can ignore 90% damage and take a nice stroll on some lava in Iron Keep.

The most iconic armor sets in DS2 (and quite fancy, too) are the one from the cover (with the fur around the shoulders)and the knight armor with the red cloth from the gestures menu. Both can be quite obscure to get.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Kinda want to reinstall, but I haven't played for years. I was either thinking about a powerstance dagger build with hunter's blackbow as a backup but I don't know which dagger I should pick?
Ideally looking for a build that doesn't require running through DLCs or late game areas to make it viable.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

When I played this game at some point (around 3/4ths into the main quest I'd say) I more or less settled on a weapon and armour set I wanted so at that point after upgrading the weapons... there wasn't that much to spend the upgrade materials on other than the armour that I was going to be wearing anyway. It might not make much of a difference but if you get something you are satisfied with to the degree that you can say "ok, this is what I'm using for the rest of the game now" you might as well.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
I am a shameful non-fashion souls man who kills the armor merchant at the start of the game for his delicious, delicious armor that grants +souls received.

- Start game
- Murder armor merchant
- Make dragonknight dude fall off his platform or just kill him
- dump like 15 levels worth of exp into adaptability
- Actually start game

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Eraflure posted:

Kinda want to reinstall, but I haven't played for years. I was either thinking about a powerstance dagger build with hunter's blackbow as a backup but I don't know which dagger I should pick?
Ideally looking for a build that doesn't require running through DLCs or late game areas to make it viable.

The "Dagger" comes to mind.
The explorer starts with one and you just have to loot the second in Things Betwixt.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Oh yeah, forgot that class even existed lol

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Samopsa posted:

only upgrade armor when you've literally upgraded everything else and have a ton of souls to spare. It doesn't help much. You're better off buying aromatic oozes, lifegems, etc instead.

Try powerstancing sometime, it's fun!

On the other hand you will be swimming in low to mid tier mats and Souls to buy more with, so there’s no reason not to upgrade armor you know you won’t swap out to +4-5.

Chunks are the bottleneck. You will have tons of slabs. If you get through the DLC you should easily have your chest piece to +10.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect
update!

Hooray! surprised I didn't die on the way over to this boss, and then during the fight. Smelter got me once.

I also rang the belfry thing and have no idea what that does but I did that too?

found myself some fabulous bandit gear and now I look real extra.

where to now? I can't continue on in the area that you warp to using the strange serpent shrine thing. I'm guessing it's to the woods? I don't have a way to get down the well yet, I'm guessing there's an item that lets you? Same with all the lava-stuff in the iron keep - I just skipped all those chests/items because I'd die trying to walk over lava to get em.

edit - I've found a way down the hole, there's a talking cat? how the hell did I miss that?

Banjodark fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 19, 2019

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Banjodark posted:

where to now? I can't continue on in the area that you warp to using the strange serpent shrine thing. I'm guessing it's to the woods? I don't have a way to get down the well yet, I'm guessing there's an item that lets you? Same with all the lava-stuff in the iron keep - I just skipped all those chests/items because I'd die trying to walk over lava to get em.

The woods or the well are your next destination. For the latter, there should be two merchants in Mejula that can help you in different ways.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect
update! smashed my way through the well and mashed up some corpse-party at the bottom.

going to explore and see what I can find because I rushed through some of the parts of the final area (was getting constantly invaded and not a huge fan of those poison spitting statues & hand creatures).

edit - shout out to the first person who invaded me in the gutter who must have enjoyed watching me roll off by accident into the abyss.

Banjodark fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 19, 2019

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

There's definitely a lot of interesting stuff down in the Gulch. You can meet up to two NPCs and fight some special enemies if you're selective with where you fall off the edge. (Also, there's a bonfire near that big arena if you spend a Flagrant Branch. Also also, if you're human, there should be a small soapsign to get some help with those Woodland Lads.)

Also, depending on how thoroughly you explored the Majula well, there may be more stuff to find there. There's a Grave about halfway down (mostly a covenant area though) and also a little room right off the side of the well where you'll find a key to the door past the poison-spattered snake statue.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Djeser posted:

There's definitely a lot of interesting stuff down in the Gulch. You can meet up to two NPCs and fight some special enemies if you're selective with where you fall off the edge. (Also, there's a bonfire near that big arena if you spend a Flagrant Branch. Also also, if you're human, there should be a small soapsign to get some help with those Woodland Lads.)

Also, depending on how thoroughly you explored the Majula well, there may be more stuff to find there. There's a Grave about halfway down (mostly a covenant area though) and also a little room right off the side of the well where you'll find a key to the door past the poison-spattered snake statue.

I need to re-explore the well, I found the rat people and joined their covenant but not sure what else I may have missed.

thanks for this! found the bonfire while being chased by one of the woodland phantoms - and got down into that under-area with the giants. killed them (very slowly by baiting slow attacks and running in for 1-2 swipes) and got a key which is cool. met and old creepy dude who told me I wasn't dark enough (guessing this a covenant I don't have access to yet).

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Banjodark posted:

I need to re-explore the well, I found the rat people and joined their covenant but not sure what else I may have missed.

thanks for this! found the bonfire while being chased by one of the woodland phantoms - and got down into that under-area with the giants. killed them (very slowly by baiting slow attacks and running in for 1-2 swipes) and got a key which is cool. met and old creepy dude who told me I wasn't dark enough (guessing this a covenant I don't have access to yet).

I actually forgot until just now, the key you get from those giants unlocks the door in the pit. So good thing you did that first! It takes some careful jumping to get to the platform in the pit, then there's a big ladder to climb and you'll get a few items and a key there.

Grandahl is the guy for a single-player challenge covenant thing. Once you find him in three separate places, he'll let you join if you want.

Also, since this is something that's really easy to miss: There's an Iron Key in the first room of Iron Keep (after the bridge) and its description mentions a faraway door. Where in the early game did you seen a bunch of fire and a door you couldn't open? (No, it's not Heide's.)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I thought I knew all the surprises in this game. Then I got a Titanite Slab in the first five minutes.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Djeser posted:

Also, since this is something that's really easy to miss: There's an Iron Key in the first room of Iron Keep (after the bridge) and its description mentions a faraway door. Where in the early game did you seen a bunch of fire and a door you couldn't open? (No, it's not Heide's.)

well, that was an adventure.

100 arrows later and I'm pretty sure those fire lizards are the hardest thing I've fought in this game so far.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

They are absurd for no real good reason. Only thing I can imagine is using them to gate that area away from newcomers but even so it's too much.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The salamanders are probably the worst designed enemy in the game. If they had half the health they would still be rubbish. The worst change in SOTFS was that you have to interact with them to get to Brume.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The brume versions are at least just glorified ennvironmental hazards you can turn off by hitting them like three times (and which you can honestly just straight up ignore). Going down into the pit loving sucks.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
It's real dumb and bad looking how when you get close to them they'll spin on a dime like a goddamn dreidel to face you.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Banjodark posted:

well, that was an adventure.

100 arrows later and I'm pretty sure those fire lizards are the hardest thing I've fought in this game so far.

Shoot their bellies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

skasion posted:

The salamanders are probably the worst designed enemy in the game. If they had half the health they would still be rubbish. The worst change in SOTFS was that you have to interact with them to get to Brume.

Just summon Sellsword Luet, right next to the Last Giant fog door. He has a red eye ring effect, so they'll all focus on him while you take them out.